The Extraordinaries (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: The Extraordinaries (random powers game) (RECRUITING)

Postby roguescribner » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Jameson wrote:D'oh! So for some reason I wrote down 35 PP instead of 45 PP when working up my character earlier! I'm actually pretty happy with it at this time but I'll work on gettig those last 10 points spent.

First post wrote:I am not worried about pp totals for these characters, just keep it to PL3. So use as many or few pp it takes to make your character who he is. Build to concept!

:D
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Actually ... do you mind if I bank those points for later? The could go to buying off his drawback (and buying back his lost capabilities like defense) if he heals, or toward buying up new stuff at a later, more appropriate time.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Awesome, recruitment's up! I'll have to work on my character tomorrow after work, I've got two primary concepts I'll have to decide between.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:02 pm

I have some thought to the idea of unspent pp being saved for later, but then I worried that people would point shave to buff themselves up once their powers kicked in. That's not something I want to have happen.

All I can say is that everyone's power schemes will all match in pp distribution and that pp will still be earned throughout the game (likely for more roleplay than combat reasons). Leveling up will be a little different in this game, but there will be opportunities to increase/add traits as we move from stage to stage. Someone stuck in a wheelchair would probably have a rougher time than someone who is not, powers or no powers. But with a combination of hero points and power points distributed in-game, everyone should get along okay no matter how disadvantaged their ordinary character is.

I forgot to mention this is my original post, but complications could be a big part of this game if players utilize them.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:08 pm

roguescribner wrote:I forgot to mention this is my original post, but complications could be a big part of this game if players utilize them.

In which case I might go and look at possible Complications for George.

EDIT: Added a Phobia and a Responsibility Complication for George. I'm quite impressed I managed to tie the phobia back to summer camp!
Active Characters

3E Time of Crisis - Fletch
Destiny: Origins - Sean
Assorted Character Builds

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Jodi Milhouse PL3, 45pp
St 12 dex 14 con 15 in 10 wis 14 cha 10 [15pp]

Saves [8pp]: Fort 2+3pp = +5 Ref: 2+2pp= +4 Wil: 2+3pp = +5
Toughness: +2 +2(vest) = +4

Skills [11pp]: Knowledge: life sciences +4 (+4), Knowledge: local +6, Notice +6 (+8.), Medicine +8 (+10), Sense Motive +6 (+8.), Drive +4 (+6), Diplomacy +6 (+6), Acrobatics +4(+6)
Languages: English (native)

Feats [7pp]: Dodge 1, Luck, Benefits – Paramedic, Equipment 4, Skill Mastery(Medicine, Notice, Diplomacy, Acrobatics),

Combat:
Attack BAB +2 [4pp],
Defense: BDB +1 [2pp] +1 Dodge = defense 12, 11 flatfooted

Equipment: radio/cell phone, bump key (like lock gun) 1 {many paramedics have them}, Light pistol (damage +3) 6, van/ambulance 8, bullet-proof vest (Protection 2, subtle) 3, flashlight 1

Complications: Tries to protect lives,
Loyal,

Jodi was always quiet. The kind of girl who had responsibilities from a young age; the one the teachers knew they could depend on to keep the erasers clean or the halls monitored. Jodi stayed athletic through high school. She was on Junior varsity Cheer Squad, but didn't go for varsity when she was needed at the Milhouse's convenience store. Then she was always 'that girl from the Store'. She hated that.

After High School she wanted out of this little town, heck, out of this state even! Her father, Huck, and his wife, Maggie (not Jodi’s biological mother*, but married early enough that whatever friction was worked out long ago) seemed content to settle here though, running a local convenience store, The Milhouse’s. Jodi was ‘stuck’ helping to run the store but took night classes to get, first, her EMT license, then Paramedic training. She felt kind of like betraying them but they were supportive of her (but their disappointment was evident in small ways), even though her (much younger) sister Rebecca offered to help out. She compromised by staying in the area she hated to help her parents in their advanced years, while keeping with a job that let her get out of the area now and then (the local hospital supports three such small towns and a portion of the nearby big city – the bad parts).

Jodi and her partner Matt Cooper try to keep themselves ready for whatever the job gives them. Matt is more of an adrenalin junky than Jodi is but she admits that she likes the thrill of the job too. He’s a good guy to work with but she doesn’t see him in quite the romantic way, which makes it hard when he shows interest greater than hers. She’s feeling the aloneness in her ‘advanced years’ as her step-mother calls them.

Jodi’s seen a fair amount of badness in her life. Being a paramedic is only one of the ways she tries to give back, to make things better. That isn’t to say she isn’t practical about the state of the world. Paramedics learn to protect themselves first, then lend aid. So, when the third Ambulance was held up a gun point for the mediocre drugs and valuable supplies they carry she learned to carry a gun and wearing a vest.

*Jodi's biological mother was diagnosed with renal disease just before 12 year old Jodi was to attend summer camp. Jodi didn't want to go at first but Mom promised she would still be there when Jodi got back. She broke her promise and Clark didn't tell his daughter until she returned home. Jodi was quiet all through the camp.
Last edited by flynnarrel on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Postby kirinke » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Character art concept: http://titian.deviantart.com/art/redhea ... 8?q=1&qo=1

Name: Alethia White
Hgt: 6ft tall
Build: slender, graceful
Hair: red
Eyes: Blue-green
Core Concept: Street Smart homicide detective
Power Level: 3
Power Points: 45

ABILITIES
STR: 10 (+0)
DEX: 14 (+2)
CON: 10 (+0)
INT: 14 (+2)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 14 (+2)
PP SPENT: 16

COMBAT
Attack 2 (Melee 2, Ranged 3) [Unarmed +0 (Bruise)]
Defense 1 (1 flat-footed)
Initiative 2
PP SPENT: 6

SAVES
Toughness 0 (0 flat-footed)
Fortitude 2
Reflex 2
Will 2
PP SPENT: 2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 6. Concentration 6. Diplomacy 6. Gather Info 6. Investigate 6. Knowledge: . Streetwise 6.
Civics 6. Tactics 6. Notice 6. Search 6. Sense Motive 6. Stealth 6
LANGUAGES: English, Spanish, German, Japanese, Mandarin chinese. Russian. French. Arabic. Greek.
PP SPENT: 14

FEATS
Precise Shot (1). Well-Informed. Contacts. Connected. Improved Disarm. Equipment 2
Attack focus ranged +1.
PP SPENT: 8

Equipment: Undercover Vest (+3 toughness). Light pistol (+3 damage bonus, 30ft range). Cell-phone.

Complications
Commitment issues. Alethia is afraid of getting truely close to anyone, due to loosing her parents at a young age. Basically, she's afraid that if she gets really close to anyone, they'll die. Just like her parents. It's a deepseated fear, one that even she isn't consciously aware of.

Drawbacks: Fear of being confined or cages. Big fear of needles. -1 pp

Personality and background:
Alethia is best described as kind and empathic. In the middle of a firefight, children run towards her and animals like her immediately. In school, she always excelled in such sports as track and basketball and she also got fairly good grades. After high school, she immediately applied to the Academy and to everyone's surprise, she took to it like a duck to water.

Alethia is an orphan, her parent's having died in a drunk-driving accident. She grew up with her grandparents and spent alot of time on the street, learning the ins and outs of gangs, who to trust, who to run from, who could be intimidated and who was best left alone. She hates injustice and child abusers with a passion, giving her personal attention to those who would willing harm the most defenseless of society.

When she was twelve, her grandparents sent her to summer-camp, where she somehow got lost in the near-by hills and took shelter in an old indian burial cave for the night (she was found the next day thankfully). Being so near death for the first time made a marked impression on her, making her wonder who they where, what lives they led and how they died. That early experience gave her the incentive to want to solve mysteries and from there, her fascination with the law took off.

Alethia has recently moved back to her home town (and transferred to the local PD) after solving a rather nasty case involving a serial killer. The case left her with a broken arm, so she's stuck to desk duty until it heals and she passes her psych evaluation. When she was invited to her high school reunion she decided to go.

Appearance:
Alethia is a 6ft tall, strapping young woman with a cascade of bright red hair falling well past her shoulders. Her blue-green eyes miss nothing. On duty, she's normally dressed in a conservative pant-suit with shoes that allow her to run comfortably in. When out in the field, she'll normally procure for herself a vest, but then, that's standard procedure if the situation is about to go hot.

CONTACTS
ALEKSANDR KAZIMIR: Russian Diplomat and foreign intelligence agent. Her first big case revolved around a simple murder that quickly spiraled to include government agents (from across several countries), a few senators and big time businessmen. She and her partner (now retired), waded through the evidence, which eventually pointed in Alek's direction (at the time he was a minor diplomat). It turned out to be a frame up job, they figured it out and found the real culprit, a senator with ties to some very unpleasant people.

Mick FINNIGAN (PADRE FINN): Roman Catholic priest accused of some rather nasty crimes, she helped prove were baseless.

JASON AUGUSTINE: CIA agent. Former boyfriend.

CELESTINE MCENSIE: Reporter, more a thorn in Alethia's side, but they're friends.
It's a weird friendship.

Cathy Markus: FBI agent, she was involved in the Candyman case, they kept in contact.
Last edited by kirinke on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:28 am, edited 14 times in total.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:08 pm

roguescribner wrote:I have some thought to the idea of unspent pp being saved for later, but then I worried that people would point shave to buff themselves up once their powers kicked in. That's not something I want to have happen.

All I can say is that everyone's power schemes will all match in pp distribution and that pp will still be earned throughout the game (likely for more roleplay than combat reasons). Leveling up will be a little different in this game, but there will be opportunities to increase/add traits as we move from stage to stage. Someone stuck in a wheelchair would probably have a rougher time than someone who is not, powers or no powers. But with a combination of hero points and power points distributed in-game, everyone should get along okay no matter how disadvantaged their ordinary character is.

I forgot to mention this is my original post, but complications could be a big part of this game if players utilize them.

hmm, I'll give this some thought ...
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Dragon Repairman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dragon Repairman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Name: Winter White
Codename: N/A
Nationality: French American
Ht. 5’4’’ Wt. 125lb
Eyes/Hair: Blue/Pink (Natural Blonde)

Power Level: 3
PP: 42/45

Abilities (16 PP)
STR: 12 (+1) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 10 (+0) WIS: 10 (+0) CHA: 16 (+3)

Saves (5 PP)
Toughness: +3
Fortitude: +2
Reflex: +3
Will: +4

Combat (6 PP)
Attack: +2
Defense: +3 (+0 flat-footed)
Initiative: +2

Skills (8 PP)
Acrobatics 2 (+4), Concentration 4 (+4), Escape Artist 3 (+5), Knowledge (Pop Culture) 3 (+3), Notice 4 (+4)Perform (Keyboards) 8 (+11), Perform (String Instruments) 8 (+11)

Feats (7 PP)
Benefit (Status, Wealth), Connected, Contacts, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment

Equipment: Cell phone, handcuffs, knife

Powers (0 PP)

Background: In school Winter was one of the few that followed the goth lifestyle. She was always quite talented in music playing the bass guitar, piano and violin, but she never got into any of the school bands because she refused to play what they wanted to. Her grades were slightly above average and got along with most, though few would call her a friend.

After graduating school she quickly moved to California in hopes to bring her musical dreams to life. She quickly became part of a band named Darkening Eye. The band struggled for the first few years, but their popularity grew. It wasn’t until they switched singers, hiring Chandra Black and change their name to Shadow’s Fall.that they really to off. That was all that took off so did Winter’s personal life. Winter and Chandra were a match made in heaven. The tabloids called them the Black & White couple.

They had plans to marry several times, though things just never lined up right. They missed both chances they had in California because of tours. A delayed flight in Chicago kept them from getting to New Jersey with enough time before their concert and when having to rush their drummer to the hospital because of an over dose in Vermont, they decide that it was just not their fate, but never would lie and say that they still didn’t dream about it.

Winter had not intention of going to her high school reunion, but when Chandra show they would be in the area anyway with plenty of time to go (both of which Chandra had prearranged) Winter reluctantly agreed she would go.

Physical Appearance: Winter looks younger than she is, so much so most places still ask her for identification to buy alcohol. Her is short, spikey and blonde, though it always died pink now days. Her eyes are blue though she usually wears contacts that change their looks in various ways. Her frame is thin and mostly lean muscle. She never wears clothes that are not mostly black or pink.
Last edited by Dragon Repairman on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:09 am

Dragon Repairman wrote:Name: Winter White

Just a couple of questions on the character; why is she so combat capable? Her attack and defence bonus are at caps and she's managed to get Defensive Roll 3 and Dodge Focus 2 from somewhere.

You might also want to elaborate on where she's gained skills like Sleight of Hand, Stealth and Survival.

And going by the stats, my former cheerleader is a better musician than Winter; you have no ranks in Perform! :)

EDIT: I've just noticed that your skills are identical to the character you've posted to the X-Freshmen thread, and add up to 10pp, not 8. So I'm assuming those were a copy/paste snafu. :)
Active Characters

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:49 am

Considering all the posts in the interest thread last week, I figured there'd be more submissions by now.

Hmmm.

Maybe I'm too anxious. :wink:
Last edited by roguescribner on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:54 am

roguescribner wrote:Considering all the posts in the interest thread last week, I figured there'd be more submissions by now.

Hmmm.

So did I, to be honest. The thread has been very quiet. So quiet, in fact, I've had to resort to doing actual work while I've been here in the office!

Still, it looks like most of the concepts submitted so far will fit together pretty nicely!
Active Characters

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:05 am

Well, we have six submissions so far. I'm hoping we can at least double that number so there's a variety of choices.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:45 am

Comments on the submissions thus far:

@levinwurth - I really like your submission and how you listed some hooks with the extended family. One question though: why does he have a +5 for intimidate? He doesn't seem the type. :P

@Jameson - Another good submission. I didn't see where you listed what his current profession is. Is he a police officer? Desk duty? Does he have any sort of love or social life? I was thinking about your question about points earlier, and while I don't want to encourage point shaving to boost powers later on, since your character does have a disability, I think it would be okay to bank those 2 points for future use. Does that seem fair? Depending on what your power set will be, you can end up buying off your disability or increasing a power trait slightly. Or you can modify your current build to use more pp, it's up to you.

@Berior - Interesting character. I assume he won't have a date for the reunion. :wink:

@flynnarrel - Solid idea. I'd like a little mention of what she was like in high school to compare/contrast how she is now.

@kirinke - Good stuff. I'm wondering about two things: 1) Why wouldn't anyone know that she's an orphan? Seems like something like is bound to get out. Especially if she's living with her grandparents. 2) While every town has a criminal element, I'm not sure if this town would have gangs. At least, not in the way most people think of them. The murder rate would be pretty low. Most crimes would be petty in nature, though some more serious crimes would occur from time to time. I guess what I'm saying is "streetwise" in our little town (haven't settled on a name yet) would be very different than "streetwise" in Kansas City or St. Louis. Just in case that effects your character.

@Dragon Repairman - Is Winter any relation to Alethia (kirinke's character)? :wink: Nice build. I do have to wonder why she has a high stealth and slight of hand skill though. And she also has defensive roll which seems odd. Nothing in the background seems to suggest she would have those traits. I'd also suggest that since she's a professional musician that you add ranks of Perform/Profession to demonstrate that.

That's it for now.

Keep those submissions coming, people!!! :mrgreen:

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:01 am

roguescribner wrote:Comments on the submissions thus far:

@levinwurth - I really like your submission and how you listed some hooks with the extended family. One question though: why does he have a +5 for intimidate? He doesn't seem the type. :P

Well, I only took a 2 ranks since, as you point out, he's not the kind of guy that falls back on it that often. Really it's more his ability to use his build and say something to the effect of "You mess with my loved ones, you're gonna have to go through me!" The rest comes from his Charisma bonus. I can shift the points somewhere else if you'd prefer.
Active Characters

Return to “M&M Game Room”