OUBLIETTE (Original 2E Builds)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: OUBLIETTE: Lepidopterist, Hemophiliac

Post by Arthur Eld » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Michuru81 wrote:Jason's fate will be outlined in the narrative...
Ah, but I wanna know now! Seriously, though, these future Vindicator builds are great. I'd love to see a future Jason build by you, if not just to confirm that he's alive, but also to see how you would take to building him-not only have I always liked your design philosophy for builds, but it would be interesting to see how two different builders tackle the same concept.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Michuru81 wrote:
Arkrite wrote:*laughs*

I somehow knew one of three things would happen with Lex...

1) He's alive, but irrelevant to the story
2) He's dead
3) He's evil

Apparently he's evil ;~)
In trying to figure out where everyone would be in 2035, it dawned on me that Vlad might stay on to lead future generations (I have a few of his adopted siblings statted out and ready to become a thorn in your sides, possibly showing Vlad that as the only one who ends up on the side of justice [Vlad's justice, not Lex's], passing on his philosophy could be a good thing); Jack's strong enough to be a heavy hitter in the hero world, but I can't see him joining a team of heroes; Martin might employ his potential to become the leader of the Vindicators; Viktor would retire to a hedonistic life... Jason's fate will be outlined in the narrative but Lex? Lex I could see almost becoming Uchiha Sasuke from Naruto...
The fact that he was actually able to take out the faculty is staggering.
At the moment, Lex is buddies with Gaspar (who can also wield electricity) and Kirstie (who can boost and deflect energy attacks). They have the potential to become a devastating team. Factor in that one of their peers' powers doesn't like electricity much and a scenario where they take a page from Deimos' playbook becomes somewhat plausible.
Now the part that's really scarey, what happens if somebody like Jason were to get a view of this (possible) distant future... or worse, Vlad who known to be a bit "proactive" ;~)
About a year ago, one of my PCs got a peek at another possible future--one in which one of the other PCs rules the universe and has installed himself as the central pillar in a new religion. At the end of it all, one of the villains from that world accidentally travels to this time period and is set to become a pest at some point. Factor in that Hikari is left over from the last time the story shifted to an alternate timeline and it becomes apparent that at some point, I drag someone from that universe to the core dimension. I don't believe in creating an entire timeline, just to throw it away after one use. Usually, when I do something like this, you can expect someone from it to make it to the other side, bringing with them the history of their dimension...

Rest assured that one of the characters who sees what Lex could become will make it to the central Oubliverse... and become a potential opponent for Mister Murphy over in the PBP game. ;)
As for the PBP game, I'm having a lot of fun, I'm glad A) You're running it B) you let me in!
It's fun to see all the characters interacting with each other, driving each other nuts, and generally just wreak some havok. Hopefully we can keep from killing each other for a little while longer! ;~)
While what's currently going on now may seem pointless (Vicente has nothing to do with the Laputa plot), there are plans in motion that his visit will rock the boat. I don't wanna give away too much but... by the end of this, I doubt Lex will give a crap about Vlad: he'll have someone else to worry about... :)

What? Say it ain't so! And I die? Well, Vlad dies. Coooool. All I've gotta say is wait for Vlad's new thing over in PBP...it'll drive everyone else nuts, except maybe Jack. Like the Viscosity build though. Pretty cool. A physically more impressive version of his pop.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Michuru81 wrote:Lex I could see almost becoming Uchiha Sasuke from Naruto...
Oh my, I havn't been angsting that much, have I? ;~)

I do like your thoughts on the characters, and I have to admit it does seem appropreate. I could see Martin more interested in science than superheroics, but with the right motivation... *looks at Fach*
Michuru81 wrote:At the moment, Lex is buddies with...
*coughs* Ominous *coughs*
Michuru81 wrote:They have the potential to become a devastating team.
That sounds much easier to believe than Lex taking the lot out by himself.
I was starting to wonder if Lex was the not-so-good Doctor's doomsday weapon...

Of course I have a hard time seeing Kirstie working with a unrepentant killer... Makes me wonder what event drove Lex over the bend.

I suspect it's Ripper's fault ;~)
Horsenhero wrote:What? Say it ain't so! And I die? Well, Vlad dies. Coooool.
You forgot "Got the girl" on that list. Vlad totally got the girl ;~)

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:48 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Like the Viscosity build though. Pretty cool. A physically more impressive version of his pop.
I have to disagree. My main rule with building Viscosity was that he couldn't overshadow the original build. He has a little more Bouncing but he doesn't have any Enhanced Strength nor does he have different settings for his Snare. Also, notice there's no Power Attack in the build? Viscosity isn't meant to be a bruiser but a defender: Defensive Attack and Improved Defense 2. He takes a defensive stance and interposes for others. Further, his bouncing cuts physical damage down. Essentially, his role is to stand in front of someone like Hemophiliac and take hits for her, all the while she can freely use her powers to weed through their opponents.

I'm willing to bet that if Candyman and Viscosity entered the ring, Candyman would come out on top each time. He'd have to throw everything into Power Attack (it shouldn't be too hard to hit Defense 14) and hope junior rolls low on his toughness save. Viscosity would take a beating but I don't think he packs the punch needed to drop his old man.
Arkrite wrote:
Michuru81 wrote:Lex I could see almost becoming Uchiha Sasuke from Naruto...
Oh my, I havn't been angsting that much, have I? ;~)
It's not about the angstiness, actually... It's Sasuke's "my brother killed our clan and must die" and then "our village betrayed our clan and must be destroyed" mentality. Ever look at the Naruto soundtracks? Sasuke's image songs are titled "Avenger." No matter how crazy it seems or how little sense it makes to everyone else, Sasuke is 100% sure that he's the one who's acting on the side of justice and it's everyone else who's wrong.
I do like your thoughts on the characters, and I have to admit it does seem appropreate. I could see Martin more interested in science than superheroics, but with the right motivation... *looks at Fach*
Gaspar's logic is that Martin is potentially amongst the most powerful students at the school. Martin, Jack and Randy have variable powers, so while Jason's niche is he thinks and Gaspar's niche is he makes it rain and Fach's niche is she screams really loud, Martin's niche is whatever the hell the situation calls for.

That being the case, in my head, Martin would eventually cease being so humble and realize that he has the power to make a true difference in this world. I see him having a "with great power comes greater responsibility" epiphany.

Makes me wonder what event drove Lex over the bend.
I could see Lex snapping at the thought of the school saying, "Hey, Vlad! Interested in helping us mold the next generation of heroes?" It'd be like, "I know you idiots don't have a clue on how to actually teach us but HIM!?! Are you all out of your minds!?!"
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#248: Venefica

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:00 pm

VENEFICA (Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’0” / 110 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Dishwater-blonde (dyed black) / Green
Place of Birth: New Rochelle, New York (November 30, 1991)
First Appearance: New Vindicators #77

Physical Description: Venefica embraces the cybergoth culture. Her hair is typically braided with electrical wire and she is seldom seen in anything but a vinyl bustier, white stockings and platform shoes. She tends to prefer the colors pink, black and white and will usually dress in these shades and adorn her pale shape in matching accessories.

Relationships: Jeffrey Carter / Phobos (victim), Hikari Himura / Albedo (victim), Quinton Jorgenson / Quint (former lover)

Biography: Little is known about Venefica’s life prior to her meeting the Vindicators, other than that she was in foster care when her powers were exposed.

NEW VINDICATORS: felo de se—While out in the city with Rumble and John Doe, Phobos responded to a woman’s screams and found Venefica being pursued by soldiers from Black Box. When the Nephilim took her back to Hub Enterprises, the young woman feared being thrown out once more and sought to win over her hosts: using her kiss as the vehicle, Venefica gave a dose of methamphetamine to Phobos, Hikari and Quinton each in turn. The effect on the dopamine system functioned like an aphrodisiac, triggering hyperarousal and hypersexuality in all three men.

After learning that Quinton and Venefica had sex, the young woman’s other two victims entered into a brawl with the duplicator—one he appeared to be winning until Boson’s intervention. Rumble confronted Venefica about her abilities and ultimately the young woman accepted an offer to be transferred to the New Vindicators Academy of Europe in order to escape the awkwardness brought on in the wake of her using her abilities on the three Vindicators.
  • STR 10, DEX 12 (+1), CON 10, INT 15 (+2), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 15 (+2)

SKILLS: Bluff 0 (+2/+6 attractive), Computers 3 (+5), Concentration 3 (+6), Diplomacy 4 (+6/+10 attractive), Knowledge (arcane lore) 2 (+4), Knowledge (physical sciences) 4 (+6), Knowledge (streetwise) 1 (+3), Language 1 (English [base], Latin), Notice 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+7), Survival 2 (+5)

FEATS: Attractive 1, Beginner’s Luck

POWERS: Immunity 1 (poison), Transmutation 8 (Extras: Duration [Continuous, +1]; Flaws: Limited [creating poisons, -1], Range [Touch, -1])

COMBAT: Attack +0, Grapple +0, Damage +0, Defense +0, Knockback -0, Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +0, Fortitude +2, Reflex +3, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS: Phobia (Heights), Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Reputation (Slut)

Abilities 18 + Skills 7 (28 ranks) + Feats 2 + Powers 33 + Combat 0 + Saves 10 = 70 points
Michuru81 wrote:I can't wait for my PBP players to meet Venefica. She's not really much of a threat: one punch will take her out and she's not even hard to hit. No, it's not that she's a monster to fight so much as she's going to play havoc with their personal relationships and possibly turn a few of them on each other (at least, those who aren't already at each other's throats will be...).

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#249: Sprite

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:37 pm

SPRITE (Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’10” / 132 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Chestnut / Green
Place of Birth: Guildford, England (October 19, 1990)
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #3

Physical Appearance: Mira is a tall young woman accustomed to wearing her hair in a finger wave. Mira is most often seen wearing a T-shirt, denim capris and flip-flops (even in cold weather); her uniform is the standard uniform, save that it cuts off below the shoulder and at the calve; with her uniform she wears flip-flops and no gloves, though she does adorn her face with a domino mask, seeking to hide her identity to protect her family.

Biography: The daughter of a bus driver and a school teacher, Mira was told when she was ten-years-old that there was a chance that she could be born with her mother’s Neo-Sapien ability to generate and project immensely hot, energized gas.

At first the thought of being able to fly or melt through solid steel appealed to the young girl. When she told one of her friends at school that she might become a Neo-Sapien, the girl coolly informed her that if that happened, they could no longer be friends. After she went home in tears, Mira’s parents explained to her why they had not told her about her birthright sooner: because she might need to hide her abilities in order to be accepted.

Eventually, the Linden family learned of a school in Austria for people like their daughter. It was a teary farewell that the teenage girl left England for the New Vindicators Academy but it’s a decision that four years later, she’s glad she made. No longer does Mira have to hide what she is: Mira can be herself and be accepted for it.
  • STR 10, DEX 12 (+1), CON 10, INT 15 (+2), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 13 (+1)

SKILLS: Concentration 4 (+6), Craft (chemical) 5 (+7), Knowledge (earth sciences) 2 (+4), Knowledge (physical sciences) 5 (+7), Language 2 (English [base], French, German), Medicine 2 (+4), Notice 4 (+6)

FEATS: Accurate Attack, Equipment 1, Precise Shot 1, Teamwork 1

POWERS: Energy Aura 2 (plasma), Flight 8, Force Field 12, Immunity 12 (cold environments, radiation, heat effects), Plasma Control 8 (Alternate Powers: Damage 8 [Extras: Area {Burst, +1}], Dazzle 8 [visual], Disintegrate 3, Obscure 8 [radio]; Power Feats: Accurate 2)

Equipment: comm link, New Vindicators uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold and heat])

COMBAT: Attack +4 (+8 plasma control), Grapple +4, Damage +0 (+8 plasma control), Defense +4 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -6, Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +12, Fortitude +2, Reflex +5, Will +6

Abilities 14 + Skills 6 (24 ranks) + Feats 4 + Powers 70 + Combat 16 + Saves 10 = 120 points
Michuru81 wrote:When I set about drafting the New Vindicators Academy of Europe's Class of 2009, I texted some of my players, asking them to give me a concept. One replied, "a plasma controller who comes from an open-minded, albeit poor, family who love and accept her." The mocking tone is his voice was more than apparent through the SMS message as no one stays happy in the Oubliverse long. There's a reason for it, actually: think about your favorite movie. Now tell me there's no conflict in it. At the core of any good story is conflict. Nobody wants to watch a movie or read a book where the main character doesn't have to overcome adversity, prove himself, beat the bad guy, win the girl...

Still, I could see the novelty of building up such a character, just to tear her down. And that's where Mira comes in.

Mira's a straight forward build. She meets her caps, has a variety of powers... not much personality in her but... whatever, she doesn't need one. It's the Oubliverse after all: the happier you are in life, the more likely you are to be killed in a horrific battle you had no business being in.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#250: Wil Wheaton

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 pm

WIL WHEATON (Power Level 12)

First Appearance: New Vindicators #105

Biography: When Elemenoh P. Quarez asked the newest generation of New Vindicators to look over the movie script he was shopping around Hollywood, he threw them right into the action of his space opera and the heroes found themselves in the midst of a titanic battle between Rabbitalia (home of the anthropomorphic half-dragon, half-rabbit ninjas) and Ducktron (home of the anthropomorphic cyborg ducks).

Needing star power to propel his vehicle, Elemenoh had cast Kiefer Sutherland as the leader of Rabbitalia’s army and with the New Vindicators’ aiding him… he died a horrible, fiery death that only the beat up Yankee cap he was carrying survived.

The Cold Detective took up the cap and proceeded to carry it with him in memory of the fallen Sutherland. The New Vindicators continued on Kiefer’s mission: they fought their way across the galaxy towards the empirical imperial battle cruiser…

In the throne room, the teenage heroes found themselves in a spherical chamber lit only by the light from a distant nebula suspended beyond the great dome overhead. “You’ve come such a long way,” came the emperor’s voice from the shadows. “I assume you’ve come for the relic Wayne Coyne protected with his very life? Know this: the power I possess is intoxicating and I have no intention of giving up the Blog Sphere.”

The lights came on, revealing Wil Wheaton in what appeared to be a giant hamster ball. “Prepare to make a Wil save,” the emperor declared.

A battle ensued—one in which the New Vindicators felt they could not win… that was, until Solar Flare realized the connection between Kiefer Sutherland and Wil Wheaton… and the significance of the Yankees cap…

In Rob Reiner’s classic coming-of-age film, Ace Merrill (played by Kiefer Sutherland), stole the Yankees cap the late Denny LaChance (John Cusack) had given to his younger brother Gordie (Wil Wheaton). It seemed that Wil Wheaton had become unable to separate himself from his 1986 role and had absconded the throne of Ducktron and declared war on Rabbitalia to reclaim what was stolen from him decades before…

A galactic war had been waged over a Yankees cap…

The Cold Detective gave Wil Wheaton the Yankees cap and like that the war between Rabbitalia and Ducktron came to a close. Peace settled into the galaxy and Elemenoh left to go work on a sequel.
  • STR 12 (+1), DEX 12 (+1), CON 12 (+1), INT 20 (+5), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 16 (+3)

SKILLS: Computers 5 (+10), Craft (writing) 8 (+13), Disable Device 6 (+11), Knowledge (popular culture) 5 (+10), Knowledge (technology) 5 (+10), Perform (acting) 8 (+11), Profession (actor) 5 (+8), Profession (writer) 6 (+9)

FEATS: Benefit 1 (Status [Wil Wheaton]), Equipment 5, Jack-of-all-Trades, Minions 6 (Giant Platypus)

POWERS: Device 27 (Blog Sphere; hard to lose)

Blog Sphere: Immunity 109 (dazzle effects, entrapment, life support, mental effects, all nonlethal physical damage, all lethal physical damage, all nonlethal energy damage, all lethal energy damage), Strike 12 (Extras: Area [Trail, +1]), Super-Movement 1 (Water Walking)

Equipment: Wil Wheaton has 25 free equipment points for whatever Wil Wheaton damn well wants and don’t you forget it!

COMBAT: Attack +2, Grapple +3, Damage +1, Defense +2 (+1 flat-footed), Knockback -0, Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +1, Fortitude +4, Reflex +4, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS: Enemy (Kiefer Sutherland, Usnet), Obsession (Yankees Hat), Responsible (breaking up Leonard and Penny)

Abilities 28 + Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 13 + Powers 108 + Combat 8 + Saves 16 = 185 points
Michuru81 wrote:Two things you should know about me: I reserve the "50" builds for the stranger inhabitants of the Oubliverse (Elemenoh tends to be responsible for most of them) and I'm not a big Star Trek fan (I'm kinda bored by it, really) so I'm not a Wil Wheaton fan so much as I am a fan of Stand By Me. Actually, there are references to the movie scattered throughout my writing (good luck finding them).

The biography says it all: Elemenoh made the PCs fight through the most ridiculous movie concept of all time and the final battle is Wil Wheaton inside Wayne Coyne's giant hamster ball. You know, because that makes PERFECT sense. My notes for the scenario read as follows:
There should be no way for the New Vindicators to beat Wil Wheaton, so long as he wields the power of the Blog Sphere. However, should any of them attempt to find out if this war can be solved peaceably: “Why am I doing this?” asks Wil Wheaton. “Because Ace never gave me back my freakin’ hat!”

If none of the players can figure out that Wil Wheaton and Kiefer Sutherland appeared together in the 1986 classic Stand By Me, a successful Knowledge (popular culture) check, DC 15, reminds the heroes that early in the film Ace Merill (Kiefer Sutherland) took the Yankee cap Dennis Lachance (John Cusack) gave his little brother Gordie (Wil Wheaton) before he died in a jeep accident.

Giving Wil Wheaton the Yankees Hat pilfered from Kiefer’s corpse will cause Wil to call off the war and bring peace to the cosmos, thus ending Elemenoh’s movie.
It's the moment that you write, "There should be no way for the New Vindicators to beat Wil Wheaton, so long as he wields the power of the Blog Sphere" that you realize the time may have come to seek professional help...

It should also be noted that I employed Jabroniville's Giant Platypus build. Jabroniville has some amazing builds that aren't obsessed with absconded Yankees hats so you should go check those out.

Of course, Ben E. King's "Stand By Me" was playing on my laptop for the duration of the battle, because nothing says fight music like Ben E. King's "Stand By Me."

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: OUBLIETTE: Wil Wheaton--Emperor of Ducktron

Post by Arkrite » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Michuru81 wrote:Sasuke is 100% sure that he's the one who's acting on the side of justice and it's everyone else who's wrong.
Oh good, I'm coming across as bugnuts. ;~)
The worst part is I can easily see it from Sasuke's perspective...

Sidenote: no, no idea about the music. I gave up on the animated stuff a long time ago (filler hell) and went back to comics. I regret nothing ;~)
Well, besides how far behind I am at the moment. They like to drag out the releases over here for some reason.
Michuru81 wrote:I see him having a "with great power comes greater responsibility" epiphany.
Or a thirst for world domination.
Michuru81 wrote:I could see Lex snapping at the thought of the school saying, "Hey, Vlad! Interested in helping us mold the next generation of heroes?" It'd be like, "I know you idiots don't have a clue on how to actually teach us but HIM!?! Are you all out of your minds!?!"
*laughs*
Yeah, but that's more of a situation where you have an intimate talk with the news papers and personally visit and inform the prospective parents about the nature of the man they're sending their children to.

The point where you're killing people on a list for being bad, and slaughtering all the teachers in a school, well, I can't help but think something jump started a far more violent approach to life...
Michuru81 wrote:It's the Oubliverse after all: the happier you are in life, the more likely you are to be killed in a horrific battle you had no business being in.
But... everybody Lex knows and cares about are, like Alina and Kirstie are... :shock:

And I think I've just discovered what sent him over the bend...

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 am

Congrats on 250 builds, Michy!

Here's to 250 more!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:21 am

Yay! Milestone party!

On a different note (back to before Ducktron)...just remember...its an alternate future, the atlernate-y-ness, of which rests in the actions of the players in the PBP (and of course, Michuru). I like that Lex went kinda bugnuts crazy and killed Vlad. It makes for good storytelling. However, Vlad has been working on a...change, since before I even found out about all this. the likelihood of said change affecting the possibility of this future coming about? Dunno, but, it's bound to drive some people crazy, some people less crazy and is all referenced by a Fellowship of the Round Table name drop, that apparently Michuru understands.

Plus if Vlad ever becomes non-viable as a PC, I'll have to see if the great M81, would let me bring in one of my potential back-up characters...Taiga or Bolshoi. (Yes they're both Russian. I like Russian characters.) 8)

Now...cue up some Conga music! it's a milestone party!

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:29 am

Horsenhero wrote: Plus if Vlad ever becomes non-viable as a PC...
Read: Shuts Lex up ;~)

Horsenhero wrote: Yay! Milestone party!

I'll get the rum!

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Arkrite wrote:

I'll get the rum!
It's a milestone party on a Wensday?
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Tattooedman wrote:
Arkrite wrote:

I'll get the rum!
It's a milestone party on a Wensday?
That's the only day the Zombies have off work.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:00 pm

What zombies?!

GPrime
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by GPrime » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 pm

“Prepare to make a Wil save,”