OUBLIETTE (Original 2E Builds)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

UC #25: Gajeel Redfox

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:03 pm

GAJEEL REDFOX (Power Level 10)

STR 18 [25] (+7), DEX 14 (+2), CON 18 (+4), INT 10, WIS 13 (+1), CHA 8 (-1)

SKILLS: Craft (song writing) 4, Intimidate 10 (+9), Knowledge (arcane lore) 6

FEATS: All-out Attack, Diehard, Fearless, Improved Block 2, Improved Initiative 1, Interpose, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown Attack 2, Teamwork 1

POWERS: Container 5 (“Iron Dragon Scales”; Enhanced Strength 7, Immovable 2, Protection 8 [Extras: Impervious {+1}]), Matter-Eater 10 (“Iron Dragon Slayer”; Flaws: Limited [metal, -1]), Strike 10 (“Iron Dragon Club”; Alternate Powers: Blast 6 [“Iron Dragon Roar”; Extras: Area {Line, +1}], Strike 3 [“Iron Dragon Sword”; Power Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty], Strike 8 [Power Feats: Extended Reach 3, Improved Critical 1; Extras: Autofire {+1}]; Power Feats: Extended Reach 5, Split Attack 5)

COMBAT: Attack +10, Grapple +12 (+17 Iron Dragon), Damage +4 (+7 Iron Dragon), Defense +8 (+4 flat-footed), Knockback -2 (-10 Iron Dragon), Initiative +6

SAVES: Toughness +4 (+12 Iron Dragon [+8 Impervious]), Fortitude +7, Reflex +5, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS: Obsession (“Why don’t I have a cat!?! Why!?!”), Reputation (Phantom Lord), Secret (Raven Tail)

Abilities 21 + Skills 5 (20 ranks) + Feats 12 + Powers 58 + Combat 36 + Saves 13 = 145 points
Michuru81 wrote:Being a shounen manga, Fairy Tail is required by law to include a character who begins his life as a badass villain and--as a result of the good-hearted hero beating him nearly to death--decides to join forces with the good guys. Of course, he's too awesome to hang out with them. No, he simply sits back and watches them, wondering what makes them so strong. Then, when the new uber baddie surfaces, the former villain can jump down to take over the fight for the nearly finished-off hero and prove just how much he's changed.

It's inevitable. Just ask Vegeta, Shinomori Aoshi, Hiei and Kurama, Hyuga Neji, Abari Renji...

Regardless, Gajeel (or Gazelle/Gazille, depending on who's handling the translation) has become more than just a manga cliché in his hunt for a feline partner: after realizing that Natsu (a dragon slayer) has Happy (an Exceed) and Wendy (a dragon slayer) has Charle (an Exceed), Gajeel (a dragon slayer) begins to distress over his lack of an Exceed...

How can you not dig on that?

Gajeel's fighting style is pretty straight forward: he hits things and takes hits. The difference between him and most other tanks is he has some options in the form of his magic: by shaping his limbs into elongated clubs, he can strike from a distance and even split off to hit multiple targets. He can also fire his scales to handle flying opponents. There are a few other, random tricks he's pulled off (like becoming a lightning rod to spare Natsu from Laxus Dreyar's electrical attacks so that the fire dragon slayer could finish Makarov's grandson off) but really, those should be best left off the build and employed as extra effort, unlike the attacks he regularly employs.

2010/7/27: Fixed his Protection and added two ranks of Immovable. Yes, I know that his Container is pretty much Density but I didn't want Density's weight--it's really just the guy getting metal skin without becoming living metal. [shrugs] It makes sense in my head.
Last edited by Michuru81 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#251: Vestige

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:33 pm

VESTIGE (Power Level 0)

Height / Weight: 4’10” / 108 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Blonde / Hazel
Place of Birth: Nantes, France (October 14, 1993)
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #4

Physical Description: Beatrice has long, blonde hair that falls just past her shoulders. Self-conscious about her chubby cheeks and braces, she routinely tries to not smile. She is seldom seen not wearing her favorite color—red—usually with black and white tones.

Biography: Little is known about Beatrice’s life prior to joining the New Vindicators Academy of Europe.
  • STR 9 (-1), DEX 11, CON 10, INT 11, WIS 10, CHA11

SKILLS: Craft (artistic) 2, Knowledge (art) 2, Knowledge (popular culture) 2, Language 0 (French [base]), Notice 2

FEATS: Equipment 1

POWERS: Super-Senses 3 (Tracking [mental])

Equipment: cell phone (as digital camera), laptop; 2 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +0, Grapple +0, Damage +0, Defense +0, Knockback -0, Initiative +0

SAVES: Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Reflex +0, Will +2

Abilities 2 + Skills 2 (8 ranks) + Feats 1 + Powers 3 + Combat 0 + Saves 2 = 10 points
Michuru81 wrote:Typically, when you see this...
Michuru81 wrote:Biography: Little is known about Beatrice’s life prior to joining the New Vindicators Academy of Europe.
...it means I was lazy and have put little to no thought into the character. Vestige serves a few purposes: 1) I insist on placing at least five students in every year of the New Vindicators Academy, just to vindicate their even being a reason to keep the school open, 2) despite coming from Germany, France, Poland, Greece, Italy, ect. most of the NPC cast speaks perfect English. This is hand-waved with the explanation of "everyone is required to learn English or another language during their Freshman year" but in Vestige's case, this leaves her virtually unable to communicate with most of the PCs (except for Fluxx).

When she makes her mark on the game next session, that communication barrier will become a problem for one PC in particular... Here's to hoping he can overcome the obstacle and make use of the girl's somewhat useful ability to track people.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: OUBLIETTE: Gajeel Redfox, Vestige

Post by Arthur Eld » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm sure in time, Vestige has a good chance to morph into an awesome character in typical Oubilette fashion-or you know, die at the hands of some villain to advance the plot.

Either way, that only leaves Quail-Boy for the freshmen and, aside from Lexus (who doesn't really count, since he's been expelled) the current student body of the New Vindicator's Academy of Europe will be complete. Sweet.

And then, you know, you can get crackin on the faculty.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: UC #25: Gajeel Redfox

Post by Arthur Eld » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Michuru81 wrote:GAJEEL REDFOX (Power Level 10)
POWERS: Container 3 (“Iron Dragon Scales”; Enhanced Strength 7, Protection 8
[Extras: Impervious {+1}; Flaws: Duration {Continuous, -1}]),
Because Permanent is already a Flaw, making its Duration Continuous actually increases the cost.

Really, the fact that you can make a Force Field Permanent for no increase in cost and a significant increase in benefits (which is what Protection is) is bad enough.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: UC #25: Gajeel Redfox

Post by Michuru81 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:07 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:
Michuru81 wrote:GAJEEL REDFOX (Power Level 10)
POWERS: Container 3 (“Iron Dragon Scales”; Enhanced Strength 7, Protection 8
[Extras: Impervious {+1}; Flaws: Duration {Continuous, -1}]),
Because Permanent is already a Flaw, making its Duration Continuous actually increases the cost.

Really, the fact that you can make a Force Field Permanent for no increase in cost and a significant increase in benefits (which is what Protection is) is bad enough.
Yeah, I think I know what happened... Early on in the build, I was trying to figure out a way to represent a Protection he had to activate that wasn't Force Field. Thankfully, I have the free points to play with it to make it all better...

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm looking forward to the addition of Vestige to the student body...along with the other characters you're portaging over to the cast. I think Lexus is important to stat up along with the other students, becasue while he has been expelled...his presence has been and continues to be felt.

I am interested, of course, in seeing what the rest of the faculty looks like...buildwise that is. I'm also looking forward to the Albanian Mobsters. I mean, if we're going to have conflicts with them, I know you've got them built.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Horsenhero wrote:I'm looking forward to the addition of Vestige to the student body...along with the other characters you're portaging over to the cast. I think Lexus is important to stat up along with the other students, becasue while he has been expelled...his presence has been and continues to be felt.

I am interested, of course, in seeing what the rest of the faculty looks like...buildwise that is. I'm also looking forward to the Albanian Mobsters. I mean, if we're going to have conflicts with them, I know you've got them built.
There's stats for Manticore and the Albanian mobsters... Trouble is, they haven't been fought. Not that I don't trust any of my players but I got into the habit of not posting builds until after the big fight due to my tabletop players looking stats up on Roll Call in order to figure out how best to handle their opponents. I had made the mistake of putting the baddie du jour up and two players huddled around their laptops, oggled the stats and made comments like, "His Will is higher than his Fort so stop using mental--just stun him or something..."

S'why there's no build posted for Confectionery or Therianthrope or Tantity or...

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Does that mean we're going to fight Lexus?

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:45 pm

I can see the potential...even if he's supposed to be an ally. I mean, look at how many times the PC's have almost had fights among themselves...Current v Greystone, Current v Candyman, Candyman v Greystone. There are at least three teenage boys with testosterone issues in the group...why would Lexus get a pass?

Personally, I'm looking forward to all the potential melees, except Confectionery, for reasons that are too well known.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:51 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Does that mean we're going to fight Lexus?
I hope not but you never know. It's only a matter of time before he shows up and tries to do his cloak and dagger crap and they slash him or snare him or electrocute him or mind control him or... whatever.

With Lexus, it's that I like there being a hint of mystery surrounding him. Part of that is in not fully knowing what he's capable of. You all have an idea of how his powers work but not in game terms. For now, I like it that way...

[sigh] Of course, this means that it's only a matter of time before Jack and Vlad decided to call up his image in the Wreck Room...
Horsenhero wrote:I can see the potential...even if he's supposed to be an ally. I mean, look at how many times the PC's have almost had fights among themselves...Current v Greystone, Current v Candyman, Candyman v Greystone. There are at least three teenage boys with testosterone issues in the group...why would Lexus get a pass?

Personally, I'm looking forward to all the potential melees, except Confectionery, for reasons that are too well known.
As far as fighting Confectionery... her complications protect half the team from her. She has orders not to hurt two of you, she refuses to hurt one of you and another one she feels she owes so...

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:27 pm

Calling up Lexus' image in the wreck room would require that Vlad and Jack are aware he's been skulking about. Randy never mentioned it, and I don't believe Martin mentioned in front of Mr. Rexroth and his sugary side-kick. My memory could be faulty there, but, I don't think so. With the parameters of what they're trying to accomplish, there's no reason for them to access him as a potential adversary. The entire active student body and faculty, yes. Lexus...not so much.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Calling up Lexus' image in the wreck room would require that Vlad and Jack are aware he's been skulking about. Randy never mentioned it, and I don't believe Martin mentioned in front of Mr. Rexroth and his sugary side-kick. My memory could be faulty there, but, I don't think so. With the parameters of what they're trying to accomplish, there's no reason for them to access him as a potential adversary. The entire active student body and faculty, yes. Lexus...not so much.
Speaking of everyone's favorite Turkish-Scotsman, we've yet to have a cryptic encounter from him... But I usually save those for the tail end of the session... :( I'm kind of eager to pop him back in... but who to have him show up with next?

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Otso. :mrgreen:

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:25 pm

I vote Vlad. ;~)
Michuru81 wrote:As far as fighting Confectionery... her complications protect half the team from her. She has orders not to hurt two of you, she refuses to hurt one of you and another one she feels she owes so...
Lets see, I'd guess that's Prodigy and Emily that are protected, Vlad is most likely the one she won't hurt, and Viktor is the one she feels she owes...

Meaning Ripper and Lex are sharkbait.

Of course it could be Ripper who's protected and Prodigy who's sharkbait ;~)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Well, assuming Vlad doesn't die at Lex's hands earlier than anticipated, not having Confectionery out to slaughter him would be nice. I mean with Vlad's complications, Tantivy is likely to kill him long before Lex gets the chance. Next time I make a character...I don't think I'll make one that can be killed by Lizzie Borden toting a pail of water.