Prodigy Duck 3e Builds (Red Ghost, Red Guardian, Red Skull)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Beetles, Behir)

Post by prodigyduck » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks, folks.

The Swallow Whole ability took a while to conceptualize. I had it based on the Snare power in 2e, which is basically the framework for it here in 3e. It is rather expensive, however.

As it is, though, I agree. I love behirs. I finally got to run a behir encounter in my Pathfinder game a little while ago. The players were rightfully afraid to get into melee range with the thing. Behirs are extremely dangerous in melee, with all their grab-based powers, constricting, swallow whole, rakes....

They are great monsters.
"Terrorism is the tactic of the weak." -Reza Aslan, Muslim Scholar

Mediocrity always attacks excellence.

Please see my MnM Beastiary.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Bison)

Post by prodigyduck » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:54 pm

BISON (PL 7)

Strength
6, Stamina 4, Agility 0, Dexterity -1,
Fighting 3, Intellect -4, Awareness 0, Presence -3

POWERS
Bison Senses:
Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Scent) – 2 points
Large Body: Growth 4 (Innate, Permanent; -2 active defenses included); Protection 4 – 13 points
Trample: Shapeable Area Damage 6 (Limited to targets in movement path) – 6 points

ADVANTAGES
Great Endurance, Power Attack

SKILLS
Perception 8 (+8)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+0
Unarmed +3 (Close, Damage 6)

DEFENSE
Dodge
2, Fortitude 8, Parry 5, Toughness 8, Will 1

Abilities -6 + Advantages 2 + Defenses 13 + Powers 21 + Skills 4 = 34 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
Bison are mute and have no hands.
Bison are large bovines similar to buffalo, cows, and yaks. They are nomadic grazers that travel in herds. These animals can be aggressive when protecting young and during the mating season, but they generally prefer running from any attackers to fighting. If pressed into aggression, these animals use their horns (found on both males and females) and their massive skulls as a battering ram.

A bison stands more than 6 feet tall at the shoulder and is 9 to 12 feet long. It weighs 1,800 to 2,400 pounds.

Stampede
A stampede is a mass of herd animals that run with no particular purpose or direction. It is a trait found primarily in cattle, horses, elephants, and even humans that is used to evade predators. Anything, however, can start a stampede, such as fire, lightning strikes, or sudden loud noises.

Contrary to popular belief, the majority of deaths related to stampedes are not from trampling. While trampling is a great risk during a stampede, the greatest cause of death is in fact from compressive asphyxiation or “crowd crush.” This comes from masses of bodies pressing against each other and crushing the air out of others.

In general, if one is caught in a stampede, they can easily be expected to die. It is rare when one survives a stampede without any means of protection. Such protection can include climbing a standing, upright object such as a tree or similar item. Other means include hiding behind a massive upright object, such as a mass of boulders.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Bison)

Post by prodigyduck » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:15 pm

BLINK DOG (PL 5)

Strength
0, Stamina 0, Agility 3, Dexterity 1,
Fighting 3, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 0

POWERS
Blink:
Immunity 80 (all effects resisted by Toughness; Unreliable) – 40 points
Blink Dog Senses: Senses 5 (Darkvision, Low-Light Vision, Scent, Tracking [olfactory]) – 5 points
Dimension Door: Teleport 8 – 16 points
Fast: Speed 1 (4 mph) – 1 point
Tough Hide: Protection 3 – 3 points

SKILLS
Insight 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+5), Stealth 4 (+7)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+3
Unarmed +3 (Close, Damage 0)

DEFENSE
Dodge
7, Fortitude 4, Parry 7, Toughness 3, Will 2

Abilities 16 + Advantages 0 + Defenses 13 + Powers 65 + Skills 6 = 100 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
Blink dogs have no hands.
Power Loss: Blink effect does not work against creatures that can penetrate concealment with senses.
Blink dogs are fey cousins to the normal dog. They are intelligent magical beasts that have personality traits similar to dolphins; they love to play and frolic and are generally benevolent. However, if threatened, they can become deadly adversaries and highly protective of their pack.

Blink dogs gain their name from their inherent magical ability to “blink” in and out of sight. This power also gives them the ability to teleport short distances. They use this magical power to evade enemy attacks and confuse their opponents. They also use it as a means of playing pranks on others and to hunt.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Bison, Blink Dog)

Post by Xarathos » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Nice Blink Dog! One of my favorite entries in the Monster Manual, and yet somehow in all the edition nonsense of the last year or two I'd managed to forget about them. . .

Sidekick, anyone? :D

It's been awhile since I actually looked at them, but I have to ask anyway; does the blink effect actually make them immune to damage, or would a concealment effect of some kind be simpler? I dunno, just throwing it out there.

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Post by pawsplay » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:19 am

It's not very sexy, but couldn't Blink be handled simply as Enhanced Defenses? Also, can't they technically blink away from non-Tougnness effects, like touch spells?
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

dwellerofthedeep
Zealot
Zealot

Post by dwellerofthedeep » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:32 am

I love the notes on the Bison. For some reason I want to have some crazed hero ride one into battle.
Character Carnival!
My Blog
"If I have to give up a kidney I'll be okay because I'll still have Mutants and Masterminds."

GargoyleHero2
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by GargoyleHero2 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Hey there, Prodigy Duck, I love this thread you've made! I've been looking for a good 3e fantasy bestiary, and your thread fits the bill perfectly. I'm particularly impressed by the Aboleth. It's such a cool and unique creature and I think you really did it justice in how you built it.

As for the Blink Dog, I agree with your use of Unreliable Immunity in place of increased defenses or something less flashy. You seem to be drawing from the 3.5 edition rules set and unreliable immunity is the best way to reproduce that effect, in my opinion. It also gives the Blink Dog a unique trait that sets it apart from other monsters. That's really important to have so that playing/fighting monsters is always fun and exciting.

Keep up the good work!
"Everything is only temporarily not a rock"

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by prodigyduck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:44 pm

I went with Unreliable Immunity as I did not want to build the Blink Dog with Unreliable Enhanced Defenses. If I gave it additional defenses, it would skew with its PL, and they would be of absolutely no help half the time. For me, Unreliable Immunity was more simple and straight-forward.

As it is, this power is completely countered by anything that can See Invisibility.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Boar)

Post by prodigyduck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:47 pm

BOAR (PL 5)

Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 0, Dexterity 0,
Fighting 2, Intellect -4, Awareness 1, Presence -3

POWERS
Boar Senses:
Thick Hide: Protection 1 – 1 point

ADVANTAGES
Close Attack 1

SKILLS
Perception 4 (+5)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+0
Unarmed +3 (Close, Damage 2)

DEFENSE
Dodge
3, Fortitude 6, Parry 5, Toughness 4, Will 1

Abilities 2 + Advantages 1 + Defenses 9 + Powers 4 + Skills 2 = 18 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
Boars are mute and have no hands.
Temper: Boars tend to charge anything that disturbs them
Boars are the wild ancestors of the domestic pig. They are sometimes called wild hogs or razorbacks. These creatures tend to be solitary. They gather together only to mate during the autumn months.

The body of a boar is compact, with a large head and short legs. Their bodies are covered in short, bristly fur that becomes thicker during winter months. Their mouths have a distinctive pair of large tusks that they use as offensive weapons. An adult boar is 4 feet long and weighs about 200 pounds.
DIRE BOAR (PL 7)

Strength
6, Stamina 4, Agility 0, Dexterity 0,
Fighting 5, Intellect -4, Awareness 1, Presence -1

POWERS
Boar Senses:
Large Body: Growth 4 (Innate, Permanent; -2 active defenses included); Protection 2 – 11 points

ADVANTAGES
Close Attack 3, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative

SKILLS
Perception 8 (+9)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+4
Unarmed +8 (Close, Damage 6)

DEFENSE
Dodge
3, Fortitude 9, Parry 8, Toughness 4, Will 3

Abilities 6 + Advantages 5 + Defenses 17 + Powers 14 + Skills 4 = 46 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
Dire boars are mute and have no hands.
Temper: Dire boars tend to attack anything they see.
Dire boars are terrors to behold. While boars are generally disagreeable creatures, dire boars are violent, hateful animals. These omnivores actively seek out food and violently fight for every scrap. They will even eat the creatures they fight off and kill.

Dire boars grow up to 12 feet long and weigh as much as 2,000 pounds.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Blink Dog, Boar)

Post by prodigyduck » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:10 pm

I just came from Silent Hill...

BODAK (PL 9)

Strength
1, Stamina --, Agility 2, Dexterity 1,
Fighting 6, Intellect -2, Awareness 1, Presence 1

POWERS
Death Gaze:
Burst Area Weaken Stamina 5 (Progressive, Reaction, Visual Sense-Depended) – 20 points
Undead Body: Immunity 35 (Electricity Damage, Fortitude Effects), Impervious Toughness 8, Protection 8, Regeneration 1 – 36 points
Undead Senses: Senses 2 (Darkvision) – 2 points

ADVANTAGES
Improved Initiative

SKILLS
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8), Perception 8 (+9), Stealth 8 (+10)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+6
Death Gaze Area (Close, Weaken 5)
Unarmed +8 (Close, Damage 1)

DEFENSE
Dodge
4, Fortitude Immune, Parry 9, Toughness 8, Will 7

Abilities 10 + Advantages 1 + Defenses 12 + Powers 58 + Skills 9 = 90 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Power Loss:
Impervious Toughness. Not vs. cold iron weapons.
Weakness: Sunlight. Each round of exposure to direct sunlight deals 1 rank of Damage to a bodak.
Many undead are feared for the terrible powers they possess; but none more so than the dreaded bodak. This foul creature is the result of a humanoid being utterly destroyed by necromantic energy. The surge of negative energy combined with the pain and anguish of the victim sometimes reform into a fearsome undead monstrosity.

Bodaks are found skulking in the deepest corners of the world. They hide from the light; especially sunlight, as it burns their impure flesh. These creatures have the barest semblance of memories from their previous life; but often nothing that will help anyone who knew a bodak when they were still living creatures. All that remains is anguish and hatred. Bodaks are absolutely evil and seek only the destruction of all living things. This desire is easily achieved by a bodak, as its mere gaze is deadly. Anyone who locks eyes with a bodak will die instantly and himself return as a bodak within one day.

Although bodaks can have slight variations in form, they all appear to be gray-skinned humanoid creatures with hairless bodies. Their white, empty eyes are sunken into their skull-like head. Some bodaks are gaunt, while others have muscular definition.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Bodak, Bulette, Camel)

Post by prodigyduck » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:14 pm

I coulda' been in Tremors

BULETTE (PL 9)

Strength 7, Stamina 6, Agility 2, Dexterity 0,
Fighting 6, Intellect -4, Awareness 1, Presence -1

POWERS
Bite:
Strength-Based Damage 2 (Improved Critical) – 3 points
Bulette Senses: Senses 13 (Darkvision, Low-Light Vision, Scent, Tracking [olfactory], Tremorsense [Accurate, Penetrates Concealment, Radius, Ranged Tactile Sense]) – 13 points
Burrow: Burrowing 5 (2 mph) – 5 points
Huge Body: Growth 8 (Innate, Permanent; -4 active defenses included), Protection 6 – 21 points
Leap: Enhanced Athletics 4 (Limited to jumping) – 1 point

ADVANTAGES
Close Attack 3, Improved Initiative, Skill Mastery (Perception)

SKILLS
Athletics 8 (+15, +19 jumping), Perception 8 (+9)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+6
Bite +9 (Close, Damage 9)
Unarmed +9 (Close, Damage 7)

DEFENSE
Dodge
4, Fortitude 12, Parry 2, Toughness 12, Will 3

Abilities 2 + Advantages 5 + Defenses 20 + Powers 43 + Skills 8 = 78 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
A bulette is mute and has no hands.
Quirk: Bulettes do not like the taste of elf flesh.
Temper: Bulettes are notoriously foul-tempered and will often attack creatures with no regard to its own safety.
A bulette is a fearsome magical beast whose origins are unknown but has become a dangerous predator. They burrow through the soft earth, listening for potential prey and then erupting from the ground to consume their living targets. As they have a distinctive fin that cuts through the ground as it approaches, these creatures are often referred to as “land-sharks.”

A bulette’s body is covered in thick, layered plates. Its head is bullet-shaped, similar to that of a shark, with a massive mouth filled with multiple rows of razor-sharp teeth.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by prodigyduck » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:20 pm

CAMEL (PL 3)

Strength 4, Stamina 2, Agility 3, Dexterity 1,
Fighting 2, Intellect -4, Awareness 0, Presence -3

POWERS
Camel Senses:
Large Body: Growth 4 (Innate, Permanent; -2 active defenses included) – 9 points

ADVANTAGES
Great Endurance

SKILLS
Perception 4 (+4)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+3
Unarmed +2 (Close, Damage 4)

DEFENSE
Dodge
4, Fortitude 5, Parry 3, Toughness 2, Will 1

Abilities -8 + Advantages 1 + Defenses 10 + Powers 12 + Skills 2 = 17 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
A camel is mute and has no hands.
Camels are domesticated animals native to arid, desert regions that serve as beasts of burden. They are also used to produce milk and meat. There are two types of camels: the dromedary camel (also called the African camel) has a single hump, while the Bactrian camel (the Asian camel) has two humps.

Camels are well adapted to desert living as they can go for lengthy periods of time between drinking water. Their humps are actually large deposits of fatty tissue that are used to regulate excessive heat. It eats plantlife that no other animal can consume. The camel’s two-toed feet keep it from sinking into desert sand. Its nostrils and eyelashes are designed to keep sand out of its nose and eyes.

Camels are known for being stubborn and foul-tempered creatures. If unhappy, they tend to spit and bite.

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Post by scc » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:35 pm

I always liked Bulettes. Really cool pic by the way. Where is it from?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Xarathos » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Nice camel. Would you consider doing the horse sooner? I'm thinking my PL 6 Paladin needs a mount. :D

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by prodigyduck » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:34 pm

scc wrote:I always liked Bulettes. Really cool pic by the way. Where is it from?
This Bulette pic is by the artist Ben Wooten. It was done for the Pathfinder RPG.
Xarathos wrote:Nice camel. Would you consider doing the horse sooner? I'm thinking my PL 6 Paladin needs a mount. :D
Yay! My first request. I'll get right on that.