Prodigy Duck 3e Builds (Red Ghost, Red Guardian, Red Skull)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Vampire Segue, Devils Done)

Post by prodigyduck » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:34 am

Jabroniville wrote:Man, the Balors & Pit Fiends (I always forget which one is which- did D&D just base both off of the Balrog?) always remind me how many powers D&D gives all their upper-level creations. Quite fitting for a D&D game, though in the comic book world, they run alongside the Dr. Strange & Dr. Fate-types for having every possible power at their beck & call, making them really annoying :).

Gotta say, though, this is my favourite Build Topic to follow on the entire ATT. I love this stuff.
Yeah, I have to agree. I think Mr. Gygax was a little lazy when he created the Balor, which is obviously a direct rip-off of the Balrog from LotR. Pit Fiends have only a little more class; but the two fiends fill basically the same niche.

But, thanks for the praise, Jab. That means a lot to me.

NOTE: Edit made to Vampire Template.
"Terrorism is the tactic of the weak." -Reza Aslan, Muslim Scholar

Mediocrity always attacks excellence.

Please see my MnM Beastiary.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Dinosaurs!)

Post by prodigyduck » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:50 am

ANKYLOSAURUS (PL 10)

Strength
9, Stamina 8, Agility 0, Dexterity 0,
Fighting 7, Intellect -4, Awareness 1, Presence -1

POWERS
Body Armor:
Protection 6 – 6 points
Dinosaur Senses: Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Scent) – 2 points
Huge Body: Growth 8 (Innate, Permanent; -4 active defenses included) – 17 points
Tail Smash: Affliction 9 (Daze; Resisted by Fortitude; Limited to One Degree, Linked to tail) – 3 points

ADVANTAGES
Power Attack

SKILLS
Close Combat (Tail) 3 (+10), Perception 7 (+8)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+0
Tail +10 (Close, Damage 9 plus Affliction 9)
Unarmed +7 (Close, Damage 9)

DEFENSE
Dodge
3, Fortitude 11, Parry 6, Toughness 8, Will 4

Abilities 24 + Advantages 1 + Defenses 20 + Powers 28 + Skills 5 = 78 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
Ankylosaurs are mute and have no hands.
An ankylosaurus has a heavily armored body with a bony, mace-like tail which it uses to defend itself. A strike from this tail can leave its target dazed for a long enough time that the ankylosaurus can attempt to flee or finish off its opponent. This creature is about 30 feet long and weighs 13,000 pounds. An ankylosaurus is short, standing on four legs. They are rather ill-tempered and stubborn, preferring to attack an enemy rather than flee. An ankylosaurus is an herbivore.

Geekery
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Geekery » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:37 pm

prodigyduck wrote: Yeah, I have to agree. I think Mr. Gygax was a little lazy when he created the Balor, which is obviously a direct rip-off of the Balrog from LotR.
Oh, there was a lot more than that. If you're old enough to remember, the Tolkien estate had a few points of contention with TSR.

It's worth pointing out, as well, that Tolkien nerds (myself included) love to debate whether or not the balrogs actually had wings, or could fly. Wikipedia has the rundown.

PD, I can't thank you enough for these monster builds. I've sold a number of disgruntled 4E players on M&M as a D&D substitute, and your builds are a huge part of that.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:51 am

prodigyduck wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:I am SO borrowing all these demons and devils for playtests...they are great.

That's a nice vampire template, too. Seems to stray from the Edward ilk, so I like that. :wink:
Of course it is not a Twilight vampire. MY vampires are monsters!

Good inspirations for vampires include:
Nosferatu (1922); directed by F.W. Murnau
Fright Night (1985); directed by Tim Holland
The Lost Boys (1987); directed by Joel Schumacher
Fright Night Part 2 (1988); directed by Tommy Lee Wallace
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992); directed by Francis Ford Coppola
Innocent Blood (1992); directed by John Landis
Let Me In (2010); directed by Matt Reeves
Dude, Lost Boys was my favorite movie outside of Empire for YEARS. Loved it. The Coreys' finest moment and until 24, Kiefer Sutherland's, too. 8)

Loved Fright Night, too. I never saw the sequel. Coppola's Dracula was slow at times, but was great, too. I do hate most of what they've done to the vampire mythos over the past few years, but hey, it's the American way to take something and squeeze every last drop of pop culture juice out of it before casting it aside so I suppose the True Bloods, Vampire Diaries and Twilights will just have to be tolerated for a little while longer.

By the way, you forgot Dracula: Dead and Loving It. :D
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by prodigyduck » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:18 am

Geekery wrote:
prodigyduck wrote: Yeah, I have to agree. I think Mr. Gygax was a little lazy when he created the Balor, which is obviously a direct rip-off of the Balrog from LotR.
Oh, there was a lot more than that. If you're old enough to remember, the Tolkien estate had a few points of contention with TSR.

It's worth pointing out, as well, that Tolkien nerds (myself included) love to debate whether or not the balrogs actually had wings, or could fly. Wikipedia has the rundown.

PD, I can't thank you enough for these monster builds. I've sold a number of disgruntled 4E players on M&M as a D&D substitute, and your builds are a huge part of that.
I'm glad I could do my part to help.

Ah, 4e... the New Coke of the gaming industry. No one asked for it... no one likes it... and even people who like D&D are turning away from it.

M&M forever!

dartnet
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post by dartnet » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:55 pm

prodigyduck wrote:
Ah, 4e... the New Coke of the gaming industry. No one asked for it... no one likes it... and even people who like D&D are turning away from it.
Best quote of the day. :D

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Xarathos » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:24 pm

I may be in the minority here, but I actually like 4e. . . I just prefer M&M. I was a 3.5 player before, but had a few... issues with parts of it. 4e and M&M both solve those complaints (though sometimes add others). No system is perfect, though M&M comes close for me and both remain my games of choice for playing or GMing. I'm also willing to play Pathfinder... but wouldn't DM it.

M&M was my answer to the edition wars, but 4e has grown on me a lot since then. Especially now that the essentials builds are out.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 am

Since I never really played 3e D&D, 4e's rule-changes don't mean a lot to me, though it's Prestige Classes seem to have gotten a lot less neat. I have only one complaint, but it's a BIG one- their Monster Manuals are now just boring piles of rules! They don't go into anywhere NEAR the level of depth the old ones did in 3e! It's just a little smattering of info, then a bunch of stat-blocks! My favourite bit of the old Manuals was the large paragraphs of text about their culture, grouping, habits and fighting styles, as well as the "Ecology Of..." sections in the Magazines (I assume those are still around in some context, but still).

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Woodclaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:59 am

Jabroniville wrote:Since I never really played 3e D&D, 4e's rule-changes don't mean a lot to me, though it's Prestige Classes seem to have gotten a lot less neat. I have only one complaint, but it's a BIG one- their Monster Manuals are now just boring piles of rules! They don't go into anywhere NEAR the level of depth the old ones did in 3e! It's just a little smattering of info, then a bunch of stat-blocks! My favourite bit of the old Manuals was the large paragraphs of text about their culture, grouping, habits and fighting styles, as well as the "Ecology Of..." sections in the Magazines (I assume those are still around in some context, but still).
So far I've played all the most common editions of D&D at leats once (meaning I haven't play AD&D 1st) and I really don't like the feeling of the 4e, although I admit that have some perks as much as some titanic drawbacks.
In general I agree with Jabs feeling about the monsters, the 3e already had reduced many monsters to a pure statblock thing, ignoring everything that wasn't the physical description, 4e furthered this behaviour leaving us with only blocks of combat stats to throw at players.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Xarathos » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:31 am

My understanding is that that was somewhat deliberate - the books are intended to be setting neutral, and beyond those basic guidelines a lot of that monster "fluff" (which I admit I loved too) varys wildly from Forgotten Realms to Eberron to Dark Sun (ESPECIALLY Dark Sun). My guess is they felt it left the DM free to decide how a monster fits into the particular game they're running.

If you don't like the overall feeling of 4e, you might want to check out Heroes of the Fallen Lands - it's marketed both at new players and at players from older editions, and the alternate builds presented have a real classic feeling to them. Plus it's pretty cheap (thanks to the power of paperback). Or not; M&M is awesome, after all.

Geekery
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Geekery » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:30 am

prodigyduck wrote: Ah, 4e... the New Coke of the gaming industry. No one asked for it... no one likes it... and even people who like D&D are turning away from it.
Yeah, I'm totally stealing that for a signature in my gaming group's email list. :)
Jabroniville wrote: Since I never really played 3e D&D, 4e's rule-changes don't mean a lot to me, though it's Prestige Classes seem to have gotten a lot less neat.
I've been able to introduce a lot of D&D players to M&M by demonstrating that the Prestige Classes are better in M&M. Quite a few folks have told me that they enjoy being able to play the "concept" laid out in a Prestige Class from the get-go, without having to deal with the bookkeeping of stats/skills/levels to qualify for something that isn't really that great when they finally get it. For example, I've been able to accommodate Dwarven Defender and Arcane Archers (Divine Archer, in one case) from the character's creation. Some World of Warcraft players have told me that M&M handles their character archetypes better than the video game or the official pen-and-paper adaptations do.

This is probably true of any point-buy system, but I've had particular success showing M&M to D&D players of 3.x and 4.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Xarathos » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:48 am

Agreed completely - M&M is far, far better at letting you play the character you wanted straight out the gate, and that was one of the things that sold me on it. It's an incredibly fun, flexible system, with room for just about any idea you can bring to the table. One of many reasons why I'm here instead of on he ENWorld, Wizards, or Paizo forums :)

But I still enjoy 4e, and play it gladly when the chance arises. It has a lot going for it; it's different in some ways, but it's good different. At least for me - YMMV, as always. It's not perfect, but no system is, and a little experience with other systems and game styles goes a long way toward being able to 'fix' it (I tend to miss Extra Effort and Hero Points when I play other systems...)

Funny thing, though, I've found my problems with D&D are almost all during character creation (or when dealing with Vancian Magic) and that they're all pretty much equally fun once you start playing. Assuming you have a good group and a GM who knows their stuff. I joined in on a game of Pathfinder last night using the Witch class from the Advanced Player's Guide, and had loads of fun. Definitely more fun than my first 3.5 edition game, so I suppose it also accomplishes its design goal.

But I think that's enough thread hijack for now... sorry, Prodigy Duck. ;)

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by prodigyduck » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Xarathos wrote:Agreed completely - M&M is far, far better at letting you play the character you wanted straight out the gate, and that was one of the things that sold me on it. It's an incredibly fun, flexible system, with room for just about any idea you can bring to the table. One of many reasons why I'm here instead of on he ENWorld, Wizards, or Paizo forums :)

But I still enjoy 4e, and play it gladly when the chance arises. It has a lot going for it; it's different in some ways, but it's good different. At least for me - YMMV, as always. It's not perfect, but no system is, and a little experience with other systems and game styles goes a long way toward being able to 'fix' it (I tend to miss Extra Effort and Hero Points when I play other systems...)

Funny thing, though, I've found my problems with D&D are almost all during character creation (or when dealing with Vancian Magic) and that they're all pretty much equally fun once you start playing. Assuming you have a good group and a GM who knows their stuff. I joined in on a game of Pathfinder last night using the Witch class from the Advanced Player's Guide, and had loads of fun. Definitely more fun than my first 3.5 edition game, so I suppose it also accomplishes its design goal.

But I think that's enough thread hijack for now... sorry, Prodigy Duck. ;)
No worries. I always enjoy a good-hearted debate. It is only when people start flinging the poo that I begin to object.

The funny thing is, I am not avtually playing any M&M right now. I am planning a 3e M&M game, but I am currently running a Pathfinder game (which I love).

Now... back to the monsters....

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by prodigyduck » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:28 pm

BRACHIOSAURUS (PL 13)

Strength
13, Stamina 9, Agility 0, Dexterity 0,
Fighting 13, Intellect -4, Awareness 1, Presence 0

POWERS
Colossal Body:
Growth 16 (Innate, Permanent; -8 active defenses included) – 33 points
Dinosaur Senses: Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Scent) – 2 points
Trample: Shapeable Area Damage 13 (Limited to targets in movement path) – 13 points

ADVANTAGES
Power Attack, Takedown 2

SKILLS
Perception 12 (+13)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+0
Trample Area (Close, Damage 13)
Unarmed +13 (Close, Damage 13)

DEFENSE
Dodge
3, Fortitude 20, Parry 11, Toughness 9, Will 7

Abilities 0 + Advantages 3 + Defenses 34 + Powers 48 + Skills 6 = 91 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability
: Brachiosaurs are mute and have no hands.
A brachiosaurus is a massive, long-necked herbivore. They primarily consume leaves that are located at the tops of trees. These creatures are so large that they are often ignored by all but the largest of predators. Similar to elephants, Brachiosaurs travel in herds as a means to protect their young.

An adult brachiosaurus measures over 80 feet in length and can weigh over 30 tons.

Geekery
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Geekery » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:58 pm

prodigyduck wrote: The funny thing is, I am not avtually playing any M&M right now. I am planning a 3e M&M game, but I am currently running a Pathfinder game (which I love).
Pathfinder is quite awesome. It's my "Plan B" if players simply can't go without playing D&D. The art style is a little odd, but that's hardly a complaint.

Since you're on dinosaurs, may I request everyone's favorite lake monster, the plesiosaur?