NEW VINDICATORS #15: Deport (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #4: Zwischenzug (IC)

Post by McGuffin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:36 am

Otso bowed his head to Doctor Fischer. "I'm sorry if I was being unclear Doctor. What I meant was that I think you're right about this situation. I just hope that if in the future we can help against these people you won't discard us as an asset out of hand."

When Sir Newton spoke, Otso felt a heavy weight on his heart. Suspecting meant there was still a sliver of hope, however slim. Certain knowledge of Alina's death, on the other hand, was crushing.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:25 am

Martin looks to the girl in his arms as the headmaster gave his commands to round certain people up. "Otso could you take my sister to one of the temporary beds by Dr. Talley?"

Even before handing her off he hesitates. An almost naked, vulnerable young girl being passed to a stranger; but no, Otso had shown his decency and trustworthyness.

With Elle safely with Otso the suited up Fluxx goes off to find those the Headmaster requested. If he cannot spot them directly he'll ask Fey what comm channel the Vindicators were using and set his comm to that to request their presence (or just ask Fey to).

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:27 am

Michuru81 wrote:Things are beginning to wind down in terms of everyone's actions so, I'm going to take a few liberties with your characters and move things forward...

If anything needs to be handled differently, just let me know.

As far as Martin's request... Fey simply points to Mister Ander standing some distance off and stared at the Frenchman oddly.

EVERYONE
Jason fetched the computer science teacher. Martin collected their math teacher. The headmaster dismissed the pair once he had the two men's company. He spoke quietly with then they stepped through a gateway Mister Ander created.

Headmaster Newton looked out over those gathered in campus. "If everyone could meet in the cafeteria," he intoned, ushering the student body and the faculty to return to the building. There were a few exceptions: Doctor Talley remained to tend to any injured and Mister Noble continued to talk to those who worked in the building the bomb had gone off in.

After a few tense minutes, the headmaster appeared at the inactive counter and summoned the attention of those gathered here. "As you all know, an explosive was set off in one of our neighboring buildings today. Thanks to the efforts of many of you, the damage has been minimal. You should all be very proud of yourselves. I know I am.

"However, this is not a happy occasion. A few weeks ago, a handful of students encountered a pair of SPBs in the employ of an organization known as Laputa. This group used explosive devices and hostages to achieve their goals... which in that instance was misdirection. It would seem that this was their intention today.

"We have reason to believe that two agents of Laputa entered this campus. One planted the device that detonated earlier today. Again, this seems to have been a distraction so that her partner could liberate one of their members in our custody.

"One of the students here, Alina Amânar, pursued these people... and lost her life in this act."

Juozas' face was unreadable. Matt was apathetic to the idea of his class' prefect's demise. Dag rose up from his seat and planted himself beside Mira; he was moving before she broke down into hysterical sobs. The Swede's arms coiled around her comfortingly as she mourned her best friend.

"This is not something that we take lightly," Mister Newton said. "This is something we will not take. At present, the Vindicators have made finding Laputa and bringing their members to justice their number one priority. Rest assured that they will put their all into finding Alina's killers and bringing them to justice.

"However, know this: Doctor Fischer and I do not sanction you looking for revenge. Several of you today voiced a compulsion to do something and while that is commendable... it is not advisable. For your own safety and protection, descriptions of the known members of Laputa will be made available. Our enemy has twice made a habit of misdirection and we are determined to not be fooled again. However, any further information on this investigation will not be made known. Though Laputa may try to bring this fight to you, I plead with you to not go looking for it.

"Classes will be canceled for the rest of the week. Alina's remains will be buried in her hometown. Any of you are welcome to attend...

"If you have any questions, you may speak with myself or Doctor Fischer in our offices."

LEX
Lex ran. He was not sure where he was. He wasn't sure how long he had been running. All he knew was that Alina had left and Emily had lost contact with her. Now, he could not find her.

There was a distortion in space just before him. He was reminded of a cigar burn: it looked as though God had taken a cigar and pressed it firmly against the fabric of the universe. Orange embers danced and an abyss of blackness grew into a distorted doorway from which Mister Ander emerged.

The Vindicator said nothing but his face spoke volumes. "We found her," was all he could say.

Though Lex had only known the man for a few weeks--and even then, he did not know him well--he had known the mathematics teacher to be cold and emotionless. The man was apathy made flesh. He hardly ever smiled or became angry. He never showed emotion.

Mister Ander was crying.

The Vindicator walked across the short distance to plant himself before the young speedster. When he was close enough, Mister Ander opened his arms and pulled Lex into a hug. "I'm sorry, Lex," he said softly. "Alina's dead."

VIKTOR
Dag had tried to comfort Mira as best he could. Eventually, the two parted ways and the shy British girl turned to Viktor for comfort. At seventeen-years-old, Viktor didn't feel that he was not taking advantage of the girl so much as he was accepting an opportunity...

Viktor opened his door and stopped at the sight of a figure sitting on the ledge of his window. "Viktor DeGallow?" the figure asked. He lifted up his head and Viktor took in the sight of his guest's silhouette. The figure was large and muscular and he wore a bulky, winter coat. A fur-trimmed hood was pulled up over his head and golden, glowing eyes shone in the midst of that mane. "I came to talk... Mira can stay if you wish..."

Mira was spellbound by the sight before her. "Lexus?" she asked. There was a disbelieving tone in her voice. "Lexus Rauf!?!"
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Fluxx dissolved the cowl but otherwise left the suit on when he went to see just after the assembly. He was trying to hold himself together.

"I've left word for zem to notify me as soon as my sister awakens but I am available for debriefing for you or whomever you wish to have there over ze events of zis day and ze new operative including what deductions I could make."

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Candyman
[Vladislav Radikovich]

Condition: Responsible for it all HP 2

After Headmaster Newton is finished, Vlad gets up and walks over to Doctor Fischer before she can depart.

"I would like to attend the services Doctor, if possible. Also I need to know how much of her monthly stipend Alina was sending home."

Everything was said in a flat, even tone, neither provocative nor particularly obsequieous. When the student...or instructor, Vlad had not been paying attention to who it was found him and dragged him here, he had still been staring at Scott Axeion's cell. Since then his face had been completely devoid of emotion. On the outside he was perfectly calm. Inside he felt like he was drowning in tar. Unable to function in any other way, he shut down emotionally.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GPrime
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by GPrime » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Emily
Emily runs out of the room as soon as the Headmaster says that Alina is dead. She keeps running, tears streaming down her face, until she reaches her room, where she locks the door and collapses onto the bed. She was responsible for Alina's death. She was no better than Laputa, using others for her own needs.

Anomaly
Champion
Champion

Post by Anomaly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Michuru81 wrote: VIKTOR
Dag had tried to comfort Mira as best he could. Eventually, the two parted ways and the shy British girl turned to Viktor for comfort. At seventeen-years-old, Viktor didn't feel that he was not taking advantage of the girl so much as he was accepting an opportunity...

Viktor opened his door and stopped at the sight of a figure sitting on the ledge of his window. "Viktor DeGallow?" the figure asked. He lifted up his head and Viktor took in the sight of his guest's silhouette. The figure was large and muscular and he wore a bulky, winter coat. A fur-trimmed hood was pulled up over his head and golden, glowing eyes shone in the midst of that mane. "I came to talk... Mira can stay if you wish..."
Gazing up toward the fur covered man, Viktor was somewhat impressed. The man resembled a pimp he had once seen in a darker part of Spain.

As he began straightening his clothing...
Michuru81 wrote:Mira was spellbound by the sight before her. "Lexus?" she asked. There was a disbelieving tone in her voice. "Lexus Rauf!?!"
He turned to Mira, "Are you sick? And what does a luxury car have to do with vomit?" He pushed a small trashcan toward the girl.

Looking back at the large man, "To whom and what do I owe this honor?"
ooc wrote:IANAI Roll for the name Lexus that's been repeated oh so many times...
IANAI Roll = Lexus (1d20+1=2)
Sometimes, you have to love how IC plays into a particular character trait
Player of: Amalgam Anomaly Impasse Coulomb

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:03 pm

VLAD
Michuru81 wrote:Alina took out for her expenses and sent the rest home. The school is going to take care of them.
VIKTOR
"As Mira just said, my name is Lexus and... I used to be a student here." Lexus pulled back the hood of his coat and rose up to his full height. "I came here to warn you: stay away from Captain Nelson. Laputa intends to use you. The next time you leave for a flying lesson, you'll not return to the school..."

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Candyman
[Vladislav Radikovich]

Condition: ? HP 2

The school was going to take care of it. Of course they were. He was her countryman. It was his failure that had ended up causing her to have to do what she did...but, the school was going to take care of it. Why not? He had failed to stop Herta, the bomb, he couldn't help Lex, he failed to keep Alina safe...why should he be entrusted something this important? He would go to the service anyway. He would say the nice, meaningless things to her family.

Walking outside he looked up at the school. Four stories above the ground. Absently he wondered if that might be enough of a drop to kill him if he didn't candy up. Probably not. He had to write down his assessments of the Laputa situation anyhow. He had to make sure Jack had them. He had to see this through. He couldn't die until Herta at least was dead. Maybe his candied doppleganger too. It wouldn't hurt to help finish Dale, and rescue Emily's parents. Laputa first. After that he would take a plunge he would not bounce back from.

Strategy. Tactics. It was better to approach life...and death, with a plan.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:00 am

Alex "Current" Murphy

Lex pushed harder, pushed faster. He could go faster, he knew, faster still than he went now but he didn't dare try it. Faster than lightning, but it only lasted for, minutes? Seconds? Before his body completely fell apart.

He couldn't fall apart now.

Alina needed him.

She needed him!
Michuru81 wrote:There was a distortion in space just before him. He was reminded of a cigar burn: it looked as though God had taken a cigar and pressed it firmly against the fabric of the universe. Orange embers danced and an abyss of blackness grew into a distorted doorway from which Mister Ander emerged.
Lex came to a sudden hault, drawing pain and agony from his feet, which simply weren't ready for the punishment, and his legs under the new violent strain.

They'd come to stop him?

He wouldn't go!

His eyes glowed with lightning, and he brought up a fist wreathed in electricity.

She needed him!

He had to find her!
Michuru81 wrote:The Vindicator said nothing but his face spoke volumes. "We found her," was all he could say.
No.

No.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

"No," Lex shook his head.

Michuru81 wrote:Mister Ander was crying.
"No," He shook his head wildly, his voice taking a hysterical tone, "No! You're lying! You're lying!"

He knew what he was going to say.

It couldn't be like that. It couldn't end like this!
Michuru81 wrote:The Vindicator walked across the short distance to plant himself before the young speedster. When he was close enough, Mister Ander opened his arms and pulled Lex into a hug. "I'm sorry, Lex," he said softly. "Alina's dead."
"NO!" Lex screamed, pounding his fist against the older man's chest. But there was not strength in the arm, and no energy in the hand, "She's alive! She's got to be alive!"

He sobbed and the energy rippled down his face to burn at the older man's suit as the tears fell, "She can't be dead, please. Please! She can't be dead..."
And there he was standing in the alley.

It was cold. It was dark. But he could still see her laying there. There was so much blood. He didn't understand, this stuff didn't happen in real life. It didn't happen to the people he knew.

He was just a child, he couldn't understand, he couldn't do anything... But he couldn't let it happen again, he couldn't....

"ALINA!" He screamed, and energy exploded all around the two of them. He screamed praying that Anders was wrong, that she was still alive, and that she might hear him and come flying back in. The bolts tore up the soil and destroyed trees, writhing and dancing in a chaotic burst of destruction, anger and denial.

But his anger was used up. His energy was used up. He'd tried so hard, but he had nothing left to give. And in the end he sagged against the man as they stood in the center of the destroyed foliage. Only the tears falling from the burning holes of electricity in his face touched the teacher though, snapping and burning into the man's costume again, and again.

"I was supposed to meet her," He choked out between sobs, "It's my fault."

"I-I..."

He howled, he had failed her.

"If I had... been there... oh god... I could have stopped her... She'd have listened to me. She always... listened to... me," He broke down completely as he continued, "But where was I? I was $@#$ing around worrying about everybody but her."

"I was supposed... to protect her," He looked up at Anders, tears rolling down his face his lip quivering as he tried to hold it together, but couldn't, "I was supposed to be... her... boy... friend..."

And then there was nothing but tears, and sobs of anguish as Lex, inconsolable, tried to come to terms with the death of his first love.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:54 am

LEX
Mister Ander took everything Lex had to give and pushed forward. He said nothing as Lex sobbed. He listened to Lex's pain and it resonated with him. "When I was a student here, there was a girl who... Prende Kreshnikëve. Her name was Prende Kreshnikëve. She was... so smart and funny and beautiful--she was gorgeous. She was... she was so perfect and for some reason she... she was my girlfriend.

"There was another student here... His mother named him Dominique--Dominique Infinity. The son of a bitch took up the codename 'Paragon' and... and he manipulated her and me and..." For a moment, Mister Ander said nothing. "Prende killed herself. She jumped off the roof of the school. We didn't have those bars up around the edge. They're stupid. I mean... anyone who wanted to..." He trailed off again.

"I know what it's like to... to love someone... and lose them. I know that people are going to tell you to throw away the anger--that revenge won't bring her back."

He pulled away and looked into Lex's face. "I'm here to tell you that it doesn't," he said, "but if it helps you heal--if it helps you find closure... then you do whatever you have to do and I will do everything in my power to help get you there."

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:43 am

Alex "Current" Murphy

It's almost ten minutes before Lex can speak again. When he does it comes out quite and horse.

"They have to pay," Lex says quietly, "They don't... I can't... they have to pay... for what they did... to... to..."

He shudders violently trying to hold it in, trying not to break down crying again.

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Post by McGuffin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:48 am

Ursa
[Otso Karell]
HP: 0

Otso sat in solemn silence throughout headmaster Newton's announcement. He hadn't known Alina well, hadn't known her at all really but that didn't mean he couldn't mourn her. After Sir Newton had finished, Otso informed the head of the faculty that he wanted to attend the funeral before trudging up the stairs to the third floor. He paused in the hall when he heard sobbing from Emily's room. Debating with himself what to do, Otso finally walked to her door. Knocking, he cleared his throat. "Emily? Are you alright?" Idiot, of course she's not alright. "Look, just, if you want to talk or you need someone who'll listen I'm here for you."
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:44 am

NEW VINDICATORS #5: Kibitz
A few days after the attack, Alina Amânar was laid to rest in Băile Tuşnad, a small village in Transylvania. That day, the school seemed to shut down, as did some of its students. Of the girl's peers, Juozas and Matt still showed little emotion, but Dag was now taken to crying softly while Mira wept freely.

As Jason watched the Alina's family and classmate inter her, his eyes settled on a woman who was not watching the casket descend into the earth. Rather, she was watching the students as if trying to gauge their reaction.

She was a handsome woman--likely in her late thirties or early forties--with waves of fair hair that spilled onto her shoulders. Glasses adorned the lithe woman's face, giving an almost librarian quality to her appearance.

He would not have noticed her, had it not been for her behavior. She wasn't concerned with Alina nor with her family... just the other students of the New Vindicators Academy of Europe. As if she sensed his eyes on her, she looked up and met his gaze and a knowing smile spread over her face.

As the funeral broke up, Jason found no opportunity to ask about the woman. She disappeared into the throng of people and the faculty certainly seemed to know nothing about her. The administration was too busy with Alina's family to talk to him. There was nothing he could do but file the woman's visage away until later...

Of course, by the next day, he had his answer: a school-wide assembly was called and the students met in the Wreck Room where the same woman stood with the headmasters. Finally, when everyone was gathered, Headmaster Newton stepped forward.

"This week has been hard for most of you," the aged man said. "I'm sure you have doubts, fears, worries... Perhaps you're angry... Some of you with the people who did this, some of you with this school and some of you at yourselves. We, as a community, are hurting. We are aching. We are tired. We need help... and that is exactly what our newest faculty member is here bring."

Newton stepped aside and presented the woman who stood beside Mister McClanahan and Miss Catargi, the only other teachers who stood with the administrators. "It is my pleasure to introduce Doctor Stephanie Yavorshak. Doctor Yavorshak will be joining Mister McClanahan and Miss Catargi as our school's counselors. Over the next few days, you'll each be called to Doctor Yavorshak's office."

As the announcement concluded, the students found themselves faced with a choice: in order to ensure impartiality, three counselors were being provided: if the student had a bad relationship with Mister McClanahan, they had two options. The same worked for the psychology teacher, Miss Catargi, whom Jason had already alienated. Now, it seemed, the American was being provided with two additional strikes.

After the announcement, the students were dismissed and the administrators moved to give Doctor Yavorshak the tour of the institute... leaving the students of the New Vindicators Academy free to do whatever...
Michuru81 wrote:It is now Wednesday, October 1, 2008.

GPrime
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #5: Kibitz (IC)

Post by GPrime » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:24 am

Emily
Emily has been feeling mostly numb all week. She stopped crying after that first day, and has willed herself to just stop feeling. She has caused too much loss, and she could not afford any more. First her parents were kidnapped, and dismembered, now Alina. How many more would have to suffer for her?
She did know one thing: Laputa had to be punished, and Lex was her way to get to them. Aberration was protecting his mind, he had to be connected. Still, she knew she had to bide her time, wait for the timing to be right. Most importantly, she had to be sure Lex didn't find out about her involvement with Alina.