Arkrite's Asylum (Thomas Majors, Anteriael)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Arkrite's Asylum (Lords of the ARockalypse: Sven Styx, Elly)

Postby Arkrite » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Alex "Current" Murphy

So here I am
doing everything I can
holding on to what I am
pretending I'm a superman

-Superman, Goldfinger

Alex "Current" Murphy

Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 126/126

STR: +1 (12), DEX: +3 (16), CON: +1 (12), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +0 (10)

Tough: +1, Fort: +6, Ref: +6, Will: +5

Skills: Acrobatics 7 (+10), Bluff 4 (+4), Computers 6 (+6), Craft (electronic) 4 (+4), Diplomacy 3 (+3), Drive 2 (+5), Gather Information 5 (+5), Knowledge (popular culture) 4 (+4), Language 2 (+2), Notice 5 (+7), Perform (stringed instruments) 6 (+6), Search 4 (+4), Sense Motive 4 (+6)

Powers:
Advanced Muscle Control (Enhanced Dexterity 6) (+6 DEX)
Can Power Small electrical devices, Can make hands or eyes glow like flashlight (Features 2)
Electrical Control 10 (DC 25)
. . Paralyze 10 (Alternate; DC 20)
Electrically Enhanced Healing (Regeneration 16) (recovery bonus 8 (+8 to recover), recovery rate (bruised) 1 (recover 1 / round), recovery rate (disabled) 2 (recover 1 / hour), recovery rate (injured) 4 (recover 1 / round), recovery rate (staggered) 1 (recover 1 / 20 mins), DC 26; Source (Electricity); Diehard)
Living Battery (Immunity 10) (common descriptor: Electricity)
Speed 2 (electricity, Speed: 25 mph, 220 ft./rnd)
Super Charged Nervous System (Enhanced Trait 29) (electricity, Attack Bonus +4 (+6), Defense Bonus +4 (+6), Feats: Accurate Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Dodge Focus 5, Evasion, Improved Initiative 2)

Attack Bonus: +2 (Ranged: +2, Melee: +2, Grapple: +3)

Attacks: Electrical Control 10, +2 (DC 25), Paralyze 10, +2 (DC Staged/Will 20), Unarmed Attack, +2 (DC 16)

Defense: +2 (Flat-footed: +1), Knockback: +0

Initiative: +3

Languages: English, German, Spanish

Totals: Abilities 14 + Skills 14 (56 ranks) + Feats 0 + Powers 79 + Combat 8 + Saves 11 + Drawbacks 0 = 126

Complications:
Complications (Family)
He still loves his family and he's very homesick. His father, Roger, is feeling guilty at the moment. His hatred of Neo-Sapiens came from his dislike of his father who he felt put his mother and him at risk acting like a superhero when he was young. Now that his son is one he believes that it's most likely his side of the family it came from. His mother, Lillian, still loves Lex, but no longer knows how to act around him. It was one thing for her to know Neo-Sapiens were real, but finding out her son was one completely took the floor out from under her. Steven, his younger brother, hates him but Lex doesn't realize it. Lex still likes the annoying little brat, but it's hard to say if he still would when he found out that it was Steven who called the cops on him...

Complications (Friends)
Lex had a small but very loyal group of friends when he was growing up. Ricky, Ed, Jose (his real name is Augustus), Ryan and Q (Real Name: Frank).

Complication (Brownout)
Lex's superhuman powers are powered by electricity. Some of this he generates himself, some he can gather up through physical exposure to any source of electricity. But these sources aren't infinate, and if he uses his powers too much he'll "drain the batteries" so to speak, leaving him a very normal human being.

Complication (Path of least resistance)
Electricity is not a weapon of great precision, as it tends to arc from one point to another. Sometimes when Lex shoots a lightning bolt it arcs to something he's not aiming at.

Complication (Rivalry: Greystone)
To say these two have clashed after Jack's questionable actions on the first day of school would be putting it midly. So far it hasn't lead to blows, but with neither one willing to back down it's only a matter of time before somebody gets hurt.

Complications (Friend: Kirstie)
Kirstie means the world to Lex, and he'd be willing to do almost anything for her in any situation.

Complications (Friends: Gaspar/Doug)
Lex is starting to see a kindrid spirit in Gaspar and Doug. All of them are cut off from their family, with Lex being the ony one who's family might still be alive.

Complications (Enemy: Vlad)
Vlad "the Impailer" joined a group of superpowered terrorists, the same ones that murdered his girlfriend. There is no chance of reconciliation.

:arrow: A minor update to Current. He gains a few ranks of acrobatics to set himself apart from the other acrobats (at least while his powers are on), and a couple ranks of perform.

Why one point in dancing? For a girl, obviously!

His next few points will go into finishing his electrical immunity, though chances are those points would be better spent on defenses as Jack the Ripper and Vlad the Impaler set their sights on the "laputa spy".

Life's hard for a teenage boy. With superpowers. And a cute gymnist friend.

(... wish I had it that rough in highschool. :~P)

I commissioned the picture through DMAC. And it is awesome. Be sure to let him know that.

:arrow: Another update. With Alina's death Lex drops Perform Dance and picks up German, and with his next five PP he gets a full immunity to all Electricity based attacks or effects.
Last edited by Arkrite on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Arkrite's Asylum (Updated PCs)

Postby Arkrite » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:32 pm

So, yeah, a couple light updates. Really need to work on some characters I've been putting off.

At the same point in time I can't help but notice I don't really have a band for the Lords of the Arockolypse. So far I've got a lead singer and guitar player, a flute player, and I swear at one point there was a drummer scion of Zeus floating around.

Hrmm.

Maybe I have to hold open auditions?

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:48 pm

Mad Props indeed, the character and picture go well together.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:25 am

Arkrite wrote:So, yeah, a couple light updates. Really need to work on some characters I've been putting off.

At the same point in time I can't help but notice I don't really have a band for the Lords of the Arockolypse. So far I've got a lead singer and guitar player, a flute player, and I swear at one point there was a drummer scion of Zeus floating around.

Hrmm.

Maybe I have to hold open auditions?

Yep, drummer's still ready to rock.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Zane 3rd ED - PL 11

Strength 2, Stamina 1, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 7, Intellect 13, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Advantages
Close Attack 2, Eidetic Memory, Improved Critical 2 (Psychic Weapon: Strike 11), Inventor, Luck, Ranged Attack 2, Ranged Attack 7, Second Chance (Technology), Ultimate Effort (Will Saves), Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
Deception 14 (+17), Expertise (Business) 1 (+14), Expertise (Science) 3 (+16), Insight 6 (+9), Investigation 4 (+17), Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion 9 (+12), Technology 8 (+21), Vehicles 3 (+3)

Powers
Psychic Awareness: Senses 2 (Awareness: Psychic Awareness, Danger Sense: Mental, Advantages: Uncanny Dodge)
Psychic Combat Awareness (Advantages: Close Attack 2, Ranged Attack 2)
Psychic Switchboard: Mental Burst Area Area Communication 2 (Sense Type: Telepathy; Area, Burst Area 5 (500 feet radius sphere), Custom (Affects Others), Selective, Subtle 2 (undetectable))
. . Brain Freeze: Affliction 11 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Will, DC 21; Increased Range (ranged), Reversible, Subtle 2 (undetectable), Accurate (+2))
. . Cloud The Mind: Illusion 3 (Alternate; Affects: All Sense Types, Area: 60 feet diameter, DC 13; Illusion Area 3)
. . Mind Reading: Cumulative Mind Reading 11 (Alternate; DC 21; Cumulative, Subtle 2 (undetectable); Distracting)
. . Mind's Eye: Remote Sensing 24 (Alternate; Affects: 2 Types, inc. Visual - Visual/Hearing; Subtle 2 (undetectable); Medium (Readable Humanoid Minds), Increased Action (move))
. . Psychic Weapon: Strike 11 (Alternate; DC 26, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Alternate Resistance (Will), Insidious, Accurate (+2))
. . Telepathy: Mental Communication 5 (Alternate; Sense Type: Telepathy; Rapid, Subtle 2 (undetectable), Dimensional 3 (any dimension))
Telekenetic Force Field
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 11 (Linked; Traits: Dodge +7 (+11), Parry +4 (+11))
. . Force Field: Force Field 10 (Linked; +10 Toughness)
. . Telekenesis: Move Object 5 (Alternate; 1600 lbs.; Precise)
. . Telekenetic Barrier: Burst Area Force Field 10 (Alternate; +10 Toughness; Affects Others, Burst Area (30 feet radius sphere), Selective; Custom 2 (Increased Action (Standard)))
. . Telekenetic Objects: Create 6 (Alternate; Volume: 60 cft., DC 16; Selective, Precise)
Trance: Feature 1

Offense
Initiative +0
Brain Freeze: Affliction 11, +11 (DC Will 21)
Grab, +9 (DC 17)
Mind Reading: Cumulative Mind Reading 11 (DC Will 21)
Psychic Weapon: Strike 11, +11 (DC Will 26)
Telekenesis: Move Object 5, +9 (DC 15)
Throw, +9 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 17)

Complications
Obsession: Zane is often distracted by technology...
Phobia: The little white room
Losing his powers
The room under Wainwrights office
Power Loss: Zane's Psychic Powers only work on creatures with similar mental facilaties as human beings.
Relationship: Zane may or may not be in love with Rachel Baldwin.
Responsibility: Zane is obsessed with Changeling's wellbeing.
Rivalry: DAEDELUS!!!
Secret: Zane hears voices and believes he may have gone insane.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 11/4, Parry 11/7, Fortitude 5, Toughness 11, Will 17

Power Points
Abilities 58 + Powers 64 + Advantages 13 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 182

:arrow: 3rd Edition Zane!

This is my first attempt building a third edition character, and lets just say I'm glad I was using Hero Lab for it.

I got to play around with some concepts that I wanted to do with Zane for some time now. Making some of his attack bonus based on his abilities to read minds, making him a more impressive melee combatant. Nothing compaired to the others in the team, but against normal humans he actually seems fairly competent now.

I also combined his defenses into his forcefield, which allowed for some more impressive alternate powers off of it.

I had to increase Zane's intelligence to 13 so that I wasn't over pointed, of course now he's got an insanely high intelligence... and all of his intelligence based skills are just entirely too high.
Such as his gather information, which is now intelligence based... and way too high.
My current problem is that Zane in this setting jumps all over a lot of the other player's niches, more so than he did in the last one.

On the other hand... One point and I could claim a MD to all those PHDs ;~)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Last edited by Arkrite on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Arkrite's Asylum (3rd Edition Zane)

Postby Shock » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:50 pm

That looks like a pretty accurate conversion to me. One thing I noticed: You could put Resistable:Will on the Illusion power to get another rank or two on it. I believe that duplicates the Phantasm flaw that you had before. Dropping from DC20 to DC13 is quite a hit.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:57 am

I had noticed that too, but the concept of giving everybody a free will save before even interacting with the illusion is extremely frustrating.
Kind of a moot point, even with that flaw I can't afford an additional rank of Illusion. I tried it, still way over points for just one more rank. ;~)

I'd have to add distracting or something else just to bring it up a rank.
The good news is that Zane seems to rarely use illusions for anything other than his own amusement.
I'd probably have dropped it for something else if he hadn't used it so often.

On the bright side it'll only take another four power points to bring his Switchboard back up to where it used to be!
EDIT: And by four I meant eight. :~P

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Zane - PL 11

Strength 2, Stamina 1, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 7, Intellect 9, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Advantages
Eidetic Memory, Improved Critical 2 (Brain Freeze: Affliction 11), Improved Critical 4 (Psychic Weapon: Strike 11), Inventor, Luck, Ranged Attack 7, Second Chance 3 (Technology: Invent, Build, Repair), Ultimate Effort (Will Saves), Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
Deception 14 (+17), Expertise (Business) 8 (+17), Expertise (Law) 4 (+13), Expertise (Science) 6 (+15), Insight 6 (+9), Investigation 1 (+10), Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion 7 (+10), Technology 12 (+21)

Powers
Psychic Awareness: Senses 3 (Acute: Psychic Awareness, Awareness: Psychic Awareness, Danger Sense: Mental, Advantages: Uncanny Dodge)
Psychic Switchboard: Mental Burst Area Area Communication 2 (Sense Type: Telepathy; Area, Burst Area 9 (1 mile radius sphere), Custom (Affects Others), Selective, Subtle 2 (undetectable))
. . Brain Freeze: Affliction 11 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Will, DC 21, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Increased Range (ranged), Reversible, Subtle 2 (undetectable), Accurate 2 (+4))
. . Cloud The Mind: Illusion 4 (Alternate; Affects: All Sense Types, Area: 125 cft., DC 14; Illusion Area 3)
. . Mind Reading: Cumulative Mind Reading 11 (Alternate; DC 21; Cumulative, Subtle 2 (undetectable); Distracting)
. . Mind's Eye: Remote Sensing 27 (Alternate; Affects: 2 Types, inc. Visual - Visual/Hearing, Range: 500000 miles; Subtle 2 (undetectable); Medium (Readable Humanoid Minds), Increased Action (move))
. . Psychic Weapon: Strike 11 (Alternate; DC 26, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Alternate Resistance (Will), Insidious, Accurate 2 (+4), Affects Insubstantial 2 (full rank), Reach (melee) (5 ft.), Reversible, Split (2 targets))
. . Telepathy: Mental Communication 5 (Alternate; Sense Type: Telepathy; Rapid 9, Subtle 2 (undetectable), Dimensional 3 (any dimension))
Telekenetic Force Field
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 11 (Linked; Traits: Dodge +7 (+11), Parry +4 (+11))
. . Force Field: Force Field 10 (Linked; +10 Toughness)
. . Telekenesis: Move Object 5 (Alternate; 1600 lbs.; Precise, Increased Duration (continuous))
. . Telekenetic Barrier: Burst Area Force Field 10 (Alternate; +10 Toughness; Affects Others, Burst Area (30 feet radius sphere), Selective; Custom 2 (Increased Action (Standard)))
. . Telekenetic Objects: Create 6 (Alternate; Volume: 60 cft., DC 16; Selective, Precise)

Offense
Initiative +0
Brain Freeze: Affliction 11, +11 (DC Will 21)
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 12)
Mind Reading: Cumulative Mind Reading 11 (DC Will 21)
Psychic Weapon: Strike 11, +11 (DC Will 26)
Telekenesis: Move Object 5, +7 (DC 15)
Throw, +7 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 17)

Complications
Obsession: Zane is often distracted by technology...
Phobia: The little white room
Losing his powers
The room under Wainwrights office
Power Loss: Zane's Psychic Powers only work on creatures with similar mental facilaties as human beings.
Relationship: Zane may or may not be in love with Rachel Baldwin.
Reputation: Psychic, technology thief, Womanizer, Raging Jerkass
Responsibility: Zane is obsessed with Changeling's wellbeing.
Rivalry: DAEDELUS!!! Or any other well known inventor who's name is used as an example instead of Zane's (with the notible exception of Dr Atom)
Secret: Zane hears voices and believes he may have gone insane.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 11/4, Parry 11/7, Fortitude 6, Toughness 11, Will 16

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 68 + Advantages 15 + Skills 30 (60 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 185

:arrow: An updated version of Zane which is more inline with the GM's suggestions.

:arrow: I wish there was a way to add a resistance check to the Remote Sensing power without lowering it to 11 ranks which equals out to a depressing 8 miles. It doesn't really need additional points, but it seems like an appropreate thing to have considering Zane has to borrow other people's senses to see what's going on.

:arrow: Remote sensing was dropped down to a range just far enough to reach to the moon for those occasions where Charlie decides she's an astronaut. What good will hearing be in space, you say? To that I can only says: Better than feeling the cold vacume on your skin!
... I got nothin'.

:arrow: While I have the points for it, and I built it that way, I still don't much like the concept that Zane can give people psychic powers (awesome evil villian power though...) so I'm still hoping to Quirk it so that all communications are still going through Zane, and that the switchboard only includes people he's added to it.
Thanks to some finagling I've managed to get it back up to it's one mile radius.

:arrow: I brought Zane's fighting up to show he's actually a capable unarmed combatant (for a human, not nearly in Wuxia's league, or any other superhuman martial artist for that matter), and bought up Ranged Advantages to make up for his high yet still somewhat human level of marskmanship, but I couldn't come up with a reason for why he'd be very good at dodging bullets so I folded his defenses into his forcefield to make that seem more reasonable.

:arrow: Telekinetic Barrier is basically an attempt to create an area force field to help protect people. As everybody in the Project Freedom game is already meeting their caps for toughness it won't help the PCs but then it was really just there for protecting NPCs. And because I was never really sure on how the Create Object barrier would work if it ever got attacked. Standard Action to activate/maintain, and a burst area effect of 30 feet. Probably will wind up as flavour.

:arrow: Both of his attacks have a crazy amount of extras thrown on because... I had too many points and nothing to do with them.

:arrow: Dropped the Trance feature. Wasn't really doing anything with it and I needed the point at the time

:arrow: Zane's TK is much stronger, but I didn't put as many points into it as I could have. We already have strong people, so I kept it low

:arrow: Dropped Zane's area effect abilities. In the old version they were too powerful, in the new version too weak. And I was doing my best to avoid using them regardless.

:arrow: Telepathy has a crazy amount of Rapid... which is mostly a placeholder since Rapid is only useful if the recipient also has rapid. Dimensional sounds great, but without a dimensional sense it's mostly there, again, for flavour. I had considered throwing Comprehend in place of Rapid, but I kind of like that it's a power unique to Charlie.

:arrow: Ah, Illusions. Way too expensive for reasons which are beyond me. Resistible makes it far too weak to even consider using (a will save as soon as the illusion is activated) and results in gaining too few points to push it up another rank. Fortunately Zane mostly used illusions to fulfill his desire to be at the center of attention so it's not a big deal.

:arrow: Three separate Second Chances to make up for the fact that Technology is now a very, very broad subject.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:05 pm

Richard "Diamond" Dunn

Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 120/120

STR: +11 (16/32), DEX: +1 (12), CON: +12 (18/34), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +0 (10), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +12, Fort: +12, Ref: +6, Will: +5

Skills: Craft (artistic) 2 (+2), Craft (structural) 6 (+6), Diplomacy 4 (+6), Intimidate 2 (+4), Knowledge (Football) 4 (+4), Knowledge (popular culture) 2 (+2), Notice 7 (+7), Perform (singing) 2 (+4), Search 2 (+2), Sense Motive 5 (+5)

Feats: Attack Focus (melee) 2, Attack Specialization (Football), Improved Initiative, Interpose, Lionheart, Minion 1 (Jeanie), Withstand Damage

Powers:
Terminus Energy Poisoning (Container, Passive 12)
. . Appears as same species and ethnicity as the onlooker (Features 1)
. . Comprehend 3 (languages - speak all, languages - understand all, languages - you're understood)
. . Enhanced Constitution 16 (+16 CON)
. . Enhanced Strength 16 (+16 STR)
. . Flight 5 (Speed: 250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd; Runway Required, Forward Only)
. . Immunity 2 (uncommon descriptor: Terminus Energy)
. . Immunity 5 (condition: Cold, condition: Heat, condition: High Pressure, condition: Vacuum, condition: Radiation; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Impervious Toughness 6
. . Invisibility 2 (Total concealment from normal vision; Limited (Psychic Powers (ESP, Telelocation, Detect) only), Permanent)

Attack Bonus: +3 (Ranged: +3, Melee: +5, Grapple: +16)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +5 (DC 26)

Defense: +4 (Flat-footed: +2), Knockback: -9

Initiative: +5

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 20 + Skills 9 (36 ranks) + Feats 8 + Powers 60 + Combat 14 + Saves 10 + Drawbacks 0 = 120

Name: Richard Dunn
Alias: Diamond
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 185 lbs
Eyes: Green
Hair: Black

Life isn't fair.

I'm not saying that to whine, I'm just saying it. Right here and right now, life isn't fair. Life just happens. Sometimes it's unfair in your favour, sometimes it forgets you even exist, and sometimes it's just not fair to you.

Sometimes you can't tell the difference until it's too late.

My name is Richard. But people call me Rich. Or Dick. Depends on if they like me, I guess. I grew up into the standard family. My mom and dad loved us. That'd be me and Jeanie. She's five years younger than me. Means she just got to be there when the crap hit the fan.

It was one of those times when life wasn't fair to anybody else. Us? We got through without a scratch. Surrounded by people whose lives had been ruined we came through unscathed. So while other people were morning and trying to figure out what to do next, we went back to our lives.

We got checked out by some science wiz who told us we were fine, but he wanted to keep track of us just to be sure, right?

God I wish they'd done a better job of it. I had a good life. I got lucky, I was big, tough, and just good enough looking that most of the bad stuff at school ghosted by me. I got to play football, and I was good at it, even got to be QB at times. Life was looking good. At least from the outside.

My mom went crazy. Not "got mad at me" crazy, she went... nuts. Nobody could explain it, just one day she stopped being Mom and we had some... thing sitting around our house who looked like her. We tried to pretend it didn't happen, hoped it would get better.

It got worse. When I was thirteen she was committed to a mental ward. When I was fourteen she died. They cremated her body by mistake. We never even got to bury her. Jeanie was distraught, I was heartbroken, Dad... Dad was never the same.

He started drinking. It wasn't so bad at first, but the next thing you knew he was drinking all the time. He forgot to cook dinner, he forgot to get groceries, forgot to pick up Jeanie, forgot to go to work. He had money saved up, and there was money from the insurance when my Mom died so it wasn't too bad at first. I looked after Jeanie, got a part time job and asked Misses Veltorio to watch Jeanie when I was working.

Misses V was a sweetheart, never had a kid of her own, so she loved Jeanie and kept her out of trouble.

When I was fifteen my Dad died. He just... didn't come home one day. I didn't even think that there might have been something wrong. I mean, I was mad. I needed him and he went all to pieces, left everything on my shoulders. Yeah, I never thought something might have happened.

Two days later a police officer shows up on my doorstep. I didn't have the money to bury him, I asked them to just cremate him too.

I still feel like crap about that, but what was I going to do?

That's when the real trouble started. Jeanie was ten, I was fifteen. We didn't have anybody we could go to. Mom's family lived in europe and we'd never really met any of them, and my Dad's family weren't happy he married my Mom.

I wasn't about to let my sister end up in the system. I watch TV, I know how that goes. I wasn't about to let her go to live with people who treated her like crap, or abuse her, or... hell, it just didn't matter. We were all we had left.

So we lied a little. Okay, a lot. We forged some paperwork, got Misses V pretend she was our Aunt. Worked better than expected, we ended up living with her. Problem was she couldn't afford to keep us around, she barely had enough money to get by herself.

I worked every night doing afterschool jobs to pick up some cash, but it wasn't enough. My sister was on the verge of being a teen, and I was eating like I was starving to death every day, we didn't have money for clothes, or school supplies, my grades were dropping because I didn't get enough sleep.

Eventually I just stopped going to school and got a full time job. I was sixteen.

I didn't have a diploma, I barely had any useable skills, so I got the only jobs I could. Heavy manual labour. I worked at a lumber mill for a couple years, and moonlighted as an assistant for a roofing company on the weekends. It was brutal. I hated my life.

But we had enough to eat, Jeanie got new clothes, we even got Misses V a good present for her birthday. We fixed her car. Okay, a little self serving, but she couldn't afford it thanks to us so I was just trying to help her out.

Anyways, I found the heavy labour jobs getting easier and easier. After awhile I wasn't so tired I needed to crawl into bed after getting home and showering. But that didn't make it any less painful, or dull. So after awhile I did whatever I could to get a job with the roofing company. They finally took me on, showed me how the job worked, then I got another job with a construction company and just kept bouncing around until I knew what I was doing.

It was fun at first, but after a few years it's just as boring as picking up heavy wood and moving it around.

Jeanie keeps telling me I should just join the Freedom League. Turns out that those scientist guys might not have been wrong. I'm getting stronger all the time, and I can't remember the last time I got hurt. But things aren't going well for me.

When I get mad, or excited, I'm starting to glow. And I'm losing feeling in my hands, hell, everywhere. I drop things because I don't realize I'm holding them, or crush them by accident. I'm too afraid to give Jeanie a hug anymore, and the last time I gave her more than the faintest peck on the cheek I gave her a welt that didn't go away for a week.

Even worse? I think I'm going deaf. Everything seems to be getting quieter. It's getting hard for me to live a normal life.

Heh, "normal life".

Seriously though, I have to be so careful with my tools so I don't break them, I can't lose my temper or I could kill somebody, I'm wondering if I'll even be able to hear people talk in another year, and if I even talk at a normal level everybody around me is deafened.

Jeanie's got me working with clay, sculpting. Says it'll help me learn control, since it's got to be all light touches. I'm starting to hate it, honestly.

I miss my friends, I miss football, I miss being able to kiss my little sister goodnight.

I'm scared, and I'm worried. Even if I can figure this out, what next? I can't have a girlfriend if kissing her could hurt her. I can't work if I destroy everything I touch.

I've got that address from those science guys, I'm going to go see them again soon. I'm terrified. What if I'm not going to get better? What if this is how it's going to be for the rest of my life?

Jeanie said she'd come with me. Said somebody has to protect her brother the superhero.

Then she laughed at me.

Family.

Complications:
Family (Jeanie - Would do anything for his little sister.)

Friends (Misses Veltorio is a nice old lady who took them into her little house and made them feel at home. Richard owes her a few dozen times over)

Butterfingers (Richard's invulnerability means he has a hard time handling anything because he simply can't feel it. Things capable of getting past his invulnerable toughness, or surviving his immense strength are the few things that can, but since 90% of all things on the planet fail to fall into either of those categories he's got to be very careful not to drop whatever he's holding and not to hold it too tightly and accidentally destroy it)

Big Mouth (Richard's powers have also increased his speaking volume to intolerable levels. If he forgets to whisper, or yells by accident he could deafen the people around him)

Hard of Hearing (Maybe it's the invulnerability, maybe it's hereditary, either way he's having a hard time hearing things these days)

Parents (Both of Richard's Parents are dead. Or are they?)

Uneducated (Richard isn't dumb, but he's a high school dropout. He'd need another two years in school to get his diploma. Sometimes that can make life a little more difficult.)

Perpetually Broke (Richard make enough money to take care of himself, Jeanie, and Misses V and rarely has anything left over)

Notes on Powers: Took the "Terminus Inhabitant" template from the Worlds of Freedom book and added it to Richard. The feature seems a little overwhelming until you realize it doesn't really help him hide who he is, it just makes him look like the same race/species as the viewer. He's still as recognizable as anybody else. At best it's a +4 to a disguise check to blend in. At worst it does nothing.
The permanent Invisibility is only to detection powers with the psychic descriptor. A mental blast will still hit him and still do damage, but attacker can't use ESP, Telelocation, or a psychic descriptor detection power to find/target him. Telepathy, Mental Blast and any other power will work just fine on him as long as the user is using, say, their own eyes to see him, or a surveillance camera.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:06 pm

By Artsangel

Jeanie Dunn

Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 15/15

STR: -1 (8), DEX: +0 (10), CON: +0 (10), INT: +1 (12), WIS: +0 (10), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +0, Fort: +0, Ref: +0, Will: +0

Skills: Bluff 2 (+4), Diplomacy 2 (+4), Gather Information 4 (+6), Knowledge (popular culture) 3 (+4), Notice 4 (+4), Perform (keyboards) 4 (+6), Sense Motive 2 (+2)

Feats: Attractive

Attack Bonus: +1 (Ranged: +1, Melee: +1, Grapple: +0)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +1 (DC 14)

Defense: +1 (Flat-footed: +0), Knockback: +0

Initiative: +0

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 4 + Skills 6 (21 ranks) + Feats 1 + Powers 0 + Combat 4 + Saves 0 + Drawbacks 0 = 15[/quote]

cassius335
Champion
Champion

Re: Arkrite's Asylum (Richard and Jeanie Dunn)

Postby cassius335 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Hey, Arkrite. I saw in the back-posts you were experimenting with a Red Panda build. Did you ever finish one (over-pointed or not?)

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:01 pm

No, I never did finish it.

But I really should.

Any prefferences on 2nd or 3rd edition?

cassius335
Champion
Champion

Postby cassius335 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Arkrite wrote:No, I never did finish it.

But I really should.

Any prefferences on 2nd or 3rd edition?

3rd, please :)

(though lately I've been scanning 2E write-ups for Feats that might be useful as Advantages)

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:44 am

Well, I've got a build for both that Marvelous Masked Mystery Man known only as the Red Panda, and that fearsome fighting female the Flying Squirrel finished.

PL 8 in a street level supers setting who are vastly overpointed.

If you've listened to the radio show you'll know they're pretty good at a huge amount of things, so it was inevitable that they'd cost too much. Especally in 3rd ed with the skill costs.

I'll probably post them next week once I get a chance to write up some bios for them (Spoiler free). And find some pictures.

Then you guys can start telling me what I missed because I'm sure I missed something! ;~)

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:42 pm

The Red Panda - PL 8

Strength 4, Stamina 5, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 10, Intellect 5, Awareness 4, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Benefit 3: Agents, Benefit, Wealth 5 (billionaire), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 17, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical: Unarmed, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Inventor, Languages 2, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Redirect, Set-up, Speed of Thought, Startle, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Trance, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 9 (+11), Athletics 8 (+12), Deception 5 (+7), Expertise (DEX): Pilot Aircraft 6 (+8), Expertise: Science 6 (+11), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+11), Intimidation 6 (+8), Investigation 10 (+15), Perception 7 (+11), Persuasion 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 14 (+16), Stealth 15 (+17), Technology 13 (+18), Treatment 1 (+6)

Powers
Device (Removable)
. . Immunity: Immunity 2 (Uncommon Descriptor: Electrical Nullify)
. . Radio Ring: Radio Communication 3 (Sense Type: Radio Rings; Custom: Emergency Beacon, Subtle: encrypted)
. . Red Mask with Spooky Blank Eyeballs: Senses 7 (Darkvision, Detect: Magic (visual) 1, Detect: Electricity (Visual) 1, Infravision, Low-light Vision, Ultravision)
. . Static Shoes: Movement 2 (Wall-crawling 2: full speed)
. . . . Leaping: Leaping 3 (Alternate; Leap 60 feet at 16 miles/hour)
. . Thermal Lining: Immunity 1 (Environmental Condition: Cold)
. . Irremovable Mask (electrical booby-trap): Feature 1 (technological)
Hypnotic Illusion: Illusion 6 (Affects: All Sense Types, Area: 60 cft., DC 16)
. . Hypnosis: Cumulative Mind Reading 6 (Alternate; DC 16; Cumulative; Feedback)
. . Mind Control: Mind Control 6 (Alternate; DC 16)
Immunity: Immunity 1 (Custom: Panda Sleep Gas 1)
Low Level Hypnotic Field (Disguise): Feature 1
Grapple Gun: Movement 1 (Swinging)

Equipment
Helicopter, Underground Lair, Utility Belt (Boomerang, Flash-bang, Flashlight, Grapple Gun [Grapple Gun: Movement 1, Swinging], Handcuffs, Lock Release Gun, Mini-tracer, Multi-tool, Plastic Explosive, Rebreather, Restraints, Sleep Gas Grenade, Smoke Grenade, Toolkit (Basic))

Offense
Initiative +5
Boomerang, +7 (DC 20)
Flash-bang, +7 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 14)
Hypnosis: Cumulative Mind Reading 6 (DC Will 16)
Mind Control: Mind Control 6 (DC Will 16)
Plastic Explosive (DC Dog 18)
Sleep Gas Grenade, +7 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Smoke Grenade, +7 (DC 19)
Throw, +7 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 19)

Languages
French, Japanese, Native Language

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 7, Toughness 6/5, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 68 + Powers 58 + Advantages 59 + Skills 55 (110 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 255

The Red Panda
That scourge of the underworld, hunter of those who prey upon the innocent, that marvellous masked mystery man known only as: The Red Panda!

The Red Panda is a masked mystery man in the vein of the radio show versions of the Green Hornet and The Shadow.

During the day he's the wealthiest man in town. By night he's the scourge of the underworld. Armed with some unique gadgets, static shoes, grapple guns, sleep gas, and a mask that lets him see in the dark. To that he's added his own genius intellect, a mastery of hypnosis to cloud minds, control people and erase memories. Not to mention multiple black belts in various martial arts.

For a man in the 1930's he's got technology beyond it's time (mostly self designed), enough money to pay for anything he needs, and an entire army of civilians who secretly work for him feeding him intelligence (ala the Shadow pulp novels).

He's also got issues working with others. In the entire city there are only two people allowed to play superhero in his city. One is retired, the other is his "Sidekick". Her term, not his.

I know it's a little low in details, but if you want to know more, well, there is an entire fifty plus episodes of it for free at decoderringtheatre.com

Complications:
Secret Identity: The Red Panda believes in keeping his identity secret, and not getting his secret identity mixed in his superhero person's work. You don't even get to know his real identity in the show until a rather large incident over forty episodes in. Since this is spoiler free, you'll have to go find it yourself if you want to know.

Relationship: Kit Baxter is his "Sidekick". In reality she is his partner, trusted confidant and his only friend. Not to mention the only person who knows his dual identity. He trusts her with his life, and would do anything to help her.

Rage Button: Threaten Kit Baxter or the Flying Squirrel. I dare you.

Enemies: The Poet, The Mad Monkey, The Genie, Kid Chaos, Professor Zombie and more.

Can't Drive: The Red Panda, capable of piloting almost any form of aircraft, cannot drive land vehicles. He crashes them into everything into sight. It's just assumed that he might get there, but he won't get there too quickly, and will not get there. And he certainly isn't going to succeed in any high speed chases... And boy will Kit be mad when she sees the car.

Side Effect: The Red Panda can only erase the same memory so many times before it erasing it again could cause serious damage. He's done it at least six times to one of his old limo drivers without concern, but fired him on the sixth time to avoid hurting him.

Quirk:
Tagline: The Red Panda has a habit of saying one of the following once per case
"... has a date/appointment... with the Red Panda!"
"The Red Panda swears it!"
"Kit Baxter, behave yourself."

Build Details:
This is the Red Panda, built for a PL6 setting. The Red Panda is generally shown as being a big fish in that setting. He keeps getting portrayed as extremely competent in all forms of science, investigation, breaking and entering, not to mention having tons of gadgets, an army of minions, an autogyro, and an entire lair filled with crime busting equipment and pneumatic tubes to get him around the city quickly.
Basically he's a masked adventurer who's great at everything, and thus costs more than some PL20 bad guys.
This build is to indicate him earlier on in the series, say the second or third season. Later on he gains even more gadgets.
And for those who are wondering, the Panda Mobile is on Kit's character sheet.

The booby-trap on the mask basically zaps anybody trying to pull it off. In the setting most of the super villains respect the mask, but the normal thugs usually get a charge out of it.
The immunity to electrical nullify is built into their devices, specifically the static shoes. On more than one occasion the electricity to everything around them has been drained, but still his mask and shoes have worked.
Thermal Lining should speak for itself. Canadian Superhero, winter gets cold up here.
Hypnosis is a little low, but he rarely uses it against the super villains he fights, it's usually used against mooks and minions.
The low level hypnotic field is just him making it hard for people to remember exactly what he or the Flying Squirrel looked like.

Return to “Roll Call”