Oddballs Reborn! (New gritty archetypes)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Oddballs Reborn! (New gritty archetypes)

Post by Dreaming Psion » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 am

So after some time away from the boards, I have returneth! With a new thread, no less (gotta join the new shiny thread bandwagon! :lol: Here you'll find some of your old oddball faces revisited, however, there's also gonna be a new focus on archetypes and originals. Most of the material will be third edition, though I haven't completely abandoned second ed, so you'll see a bit of that here and there when i feel like there's something second ed handles a little bit better than 3e. All 2e builds will have a (2e) following them, so if you just want to search the page for that, you can.

Archetypes
Drunkard (PL 4)
Gunslinger (PL 6)
Lawman (PL 6)
Preacher (PL 6)

Conversions

Alternate universe/what if variants
Arcane Beast
Logan, the wandering clawman

The Tick
Arthur
the Tick

the Venture Bros

Wanted

Power constructions
Visions and portents
Last edited by Dreaming Psion on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Check out the anime/manga 3e thread
My new Oddballs reborn thread

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Visions and Portents

Post by Dreaming Psion » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:06 am

So here's a few power constructions dealing with dreams and visions that were inspired, ironically, by a dream I had. A dream within a dream, how Inception is that!

The Comfy Chair of Dreams (easily removable -2 points); 2 points
* Senses 8 (postcognition, precognition, limited to while sleeping -1 p/rank)

This big, comfy stuffed chair is just what it sounds like. It grants dream like visions of possible futures or pasts when the owner falls asleep in it.

Curse of Portents
Senses 8 (postcognition, precognition; extras: attack +0/rank, perception range +2/rank, insidious 1 flat, subtle 2 2 flat; flaws: side effect [always occurs] -2 p/rank, uncontrolled -1 p/rank); total 4 points

This curse is a psychic jinx of sorts- just being around people you afflict them with a long-lasting Weaken of about 8 points or so. Because of the subtle nature of this power, the victim of your Curse of Portents will often take a serious hit to their self-esteem as they will seem less competent than before. However, just as they think of throwing in the towel, a victim of your Curse of Portents will receive hunches- flashes of insight and inspiration- that make up for the rest of the curse.

A successful Will save (DC 18) will throw off the entire effect of the curse, both good and bad.

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Oddballs Reborn! (Visions and portents)

Post by Dreaming Psion » Tue May 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Logan, The Wandering Clawman (3e)
PL: 8 (120 points)

“I’m the best at what I do this side of the Rio Grande.”

Abilities: Str 4, Sta 5, Agi 4, Dex 2, Fgt 8, Int 0, Awa 3, Pre 1

Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 5 (+9), Ranged Combat (hand guns) 6 (+10), Expertise (survival) 5 (+8), Expertise (streetwise) 4 (+4), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 7 (+8), Perception 8 (+11), Stealth 5 (+9)
50 ranks

Advantages:
All-out Attack, Benefit 2 (ambidexterity, enigma), Diehard, Equipment 3, Great Endurance, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown, Tracking

Equipment: twin pistols (+6 damage, split attack, 13 ep), badass hat and cowboy getup (0 ep), 2 other ep

Offense
Initiative +4
Claws +8 close; Tou DC 23
Pistols +10 ranged; Tou DC 21
Unarmed +8 close; Tou DC 19

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fort 8, Toughness 8, Will 8

Powers
Claws: Strike 4 (str-based); 4 p
One Tough Hombre: Protection 3, Regeneration 5 (every other round); 8 p
Sharp Senses: Senses 4 (accurate and extended hearing, scent); 4 p

Complications:
Motivation: Find out and avenge his past, and (sometimes reluctantly) do the right thing
Relationships: He may have a hard heart, but the wandering clawman can’t let a pretty face suffer lightly.
Reputation: He’s got an reputation as an outlaw and an all around mean hombre.
Temper: Logan don’t have any patience for carpetbaggers or other tricksters.

Abilities 54 + Skills 25 + Advantages 13 + Defenses 12 + Powers 16 = 120 p

Notes: So this is kinda a “what if” type build if Marvel’s most loved feral berserker would be like if he was in a (weird) Wild West-esque setting. He fits well enough the stereotypical wandering, nameless drifter going from town to town righting wrongs. Of course, in such a setting he’s got a lower PL and most of his powers may come a natural, gutsy toughness (aside from his obvious claws). Logan here (only monicker he goes by) doesn’t really have a code name like his modern counterpart- instead the people have took to calling him the “Wandering Clawman”.
Last edited by Dreaming Psion on Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Tue May 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Oh, Clawman, I get it. Its a play on words. Nice simple build, I like lower level stuff in 3E, I feel the overpointed nature of the official examples we've seen so far are kind of misleading. Most characters won't be (and shouldn't) be like that.

Now that you're back, Psion, will you be back updating the 3E anime/manga thread?

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Dreaming Psion » Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Oh, Clawman, I get it. Its a play on words. Nice simple build, I like lower level stuff in 3E, I feel the overpointed nature of the official examples we've seen so far are kind of misleading. Most characters won't be (and shouldn't) be like that.

Now that you're back, Psion, will you be back updating the 3E anime/manga thread?
I owe the primary inspiration for this build that picture I found somewhere.

And the anime thread, yep I'll get around to it. I've got some anime builds from a while back I need to clean up and post.

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by MorningKnight » Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Really digging Wierd West Logan. :D

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Dreaming Psion » Wed May 04, 2011 7:05 am

Arcane Beast (3e)
PL: 8 (120 points)

Abilities: Str 8, Sta 8, Agi 6, Dex 2, Fgt 5, Int 7, Awa 4, Pre 0

Skills: Acrobatics 7 (+13), Athletics 1 (+9), Close Combat (unarmed) 3 (+8), Expertise (library sciences) 4 (+11), Expertise (history) 2 (+9), Expertise (magic) 8 (+15), Investigation 4 (+11) Insight 5 (+9), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 3 (+3), Stealth 1 (+7)
44 ranks

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Jack-of-all-trades, Power Attack, Ritualist, Takedown

Equipment: just lots of books and other scholarly odds and ends

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +8 close; DC 23
Thrown object +2 ranged; DC 23

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fort 8, Toughness 8, Will 7

Powers
Feature 2 (insulating fur, prehensile toes); 2 p
Quickness 2 (limited to reading); 1 p
Senses 2 (scent, magical awareness); 2 p

Complications:
Deformity: should be obvious
Motivation: To learn and experience everything possible; to spread education and enlightenment wherever he can
Obsession: knowledge
Responsibility: help all those who come to his library

Abilities 80 + Skills 22 + Advantages 5 + Defenses 8 + Powers 5 = 120 p

Notes: Okay, here’s another Marvel character of a different place and time. This alternate version of Hank Mccoy is from a medieval high fantasy world- the victim of a magical/alchemical experiment gone awry. He’s kinda a mix here of Beast and the Librarian from Discworld He’s more of a Ritualist master than an actual spellcaster. I’ve left out leaping since that doesn’t stack with Acrobatics in 3e.

In a Pathfinder Planescape game I ran not too long ago I had him as a member of the Sensates teaching at a university in the planar city of Sigil. His mutation came out as a result of an alchemical experiment into the philosopher’s stone gone bad.

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Oddballs Reborn! (Wild West Logan, Arcane Beast)

Post by Dreaming Psion » Sat May 07, 2011 5:13 pm

Gunslinger
PL: 6 (90 points)

Abilities: Str 2, Sta 3, Agi 3, Dex 4, Fgt 5, Int 0, Awa 2, Pre 0

Skills: Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 4 (+6), Close combat (unarmed) 2 (+7), Expertise (streetwise) 4 (+4), Expertise (survival) 4 (+6), Insight 6 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 2 (+6), Stealth 4 (+7), Treatment 2 (+2)
42 ranks

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit (ambidexterity), Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 3, Improved crit (guns), Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Strke (ranged concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2, Ricochet*, Split Attack*, Takedown, Ultimate Aim
*As the power extra, applies to twin handguns

Equipment: two heavy pistols (blast 6; 12 ep), 3 other ep

Offense
Initiative +7
Twin pistols +6 ranged; +6 damage (or +3 split attack)
Unarmed +7 melee; +2 damage

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fort 6, Toughness 5, Will 6

Powers
None

Abilities 38 + Skills 21 + Advantages 18 + Defenses 11 + Powers 0 = 90 p

Notes: So I’ve been pondering a low PL post apoc/steampunk game that resembles the late 19th century. To that end, I’ve been working on some lower PL starting archetypes (PL 4-8). In the Wastes you’ve got kinda a Weird, Neo-West vibe to it, kinda like the obscure Systems Failure rpg meets Wild Wild West.

:arrow: So here’s a gritty, street-level gunslinger type build. I was really tempted to go with some kinda multiattack blast construction for his twin pistols, but really I think split attack and takedown attack handle this fine in 3e (takedown works against mooks in 2e) Putting more lead into your opponent than a typewriter is something gangsters do, and the gun kata thing is right out. That being said, for a higher powered build you could always throw in an Easily Removable Blast power with the multiattack extras if you really wanted to. 3e’s a bit silent on how usable Removable powers are by others, the only major thing that vexes me about building a gunslinger who only relies on his skill in 3e.

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Oddballs Reborn! (Gunslinger archetype)

Post by Dreaming Psion » Wed May 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Lawman (3e)

Abilities: Str 2, Sta 4, Agi 3, Dex 3, Fgt 6, Int 0, Awa 2, Pre 3 (0)

Skills: Athletics 4 (+6), Deception 3 (+6), Expertise (law enforcement) 5 (+5), Expertise (survival) 4 (+6), Insight 5 (+7), Intimidation 6 (+9), Perception 6 (+8), Ranged Combat (guns) 3 (+6), Stealth 6 (+9)
44 ranks

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit (ambidexterity), Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 5, Improved Initiative, Precise Attack (Pick one ranged), Split Attack*, Quick draw, Takedown
*As the power extra, apply to his pistols

Equipment: twin pistols (blast 6), 1 other ep

Offense
Initiative +7
Unarmed +6 melee; Tou DC 17
Twin pistols +6 ranged; Tou DC 21

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fort 6, Toughness 6, Will 6

Powers

Badass cool
Enhanced Presence 3; 6 p
Affliction 6 (impaired/compelled/controlled, limited to fear, burst area); 1 p; the look

Abilities 40 + Skills 21 + Advantages 13 + Defenses 9 + Powers 7 = 90 p

Notes: So here’s kinda another Neo-West type build, the typical wandering, grim lawman. Kinda a variant on my gunslinger build, though this guy is less pure blasty and more of a face for inspiring courage in the townspeople and fear in the desperadoes. A lawman’s presence often rests on the legendary reputation that precedes him- so you have a lowgrade Affliction power based off of his Enhanced Presence. It basically compels bad guys to get the heck outta Dodge (flee, that is).

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Oddballs Reborn! (Gunslingers, Lawmen)

Post by Dreaming Psion » Fri May 27, 2011 8:20 am

The Tick
PL: 12 (155 points)

Abilities: Str 14, Sta 15, Agi 2, Dex 1, Fgt 6, Int -1, Awa -1, Pre 2

Skills: Acrobatics 6, Athletics 6, Close Combat (unarmed) 3 (+9), Expertise (superhero culture) 3 (+2), Insight 3 (2), Intimidation 8 (+10), Perception 3 (2), Persuasion 4 (+6), Ranged Combat (throw objects) 6 (+7), Stealth 2 (+4)
44 ranks

Advantages:
All-out Attack, Beginner’s Luck, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Improvised Weapons, Power Attack, Takedown, Throwing Mastery, Ultimate Will Save

Equipment: Arthur’s stuff

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +9 melee; DC 29 tou
Thrown Object +7 ranged; DC 29 tou

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fort 15, Toughness 15, Will 3

Powers
Impervious Toughness 15; 15 p
Immunity 10 (life support); 10 p
Leaping 3; 3 p
Regeneration 5; 5 p

Complications: Motivation- Delusion- the Tick is motivated, maybe even powered, by his belief that he is a superhero above all else. His identity entirely rests on this- to the exclusion of everything else the Tick rests on pursuing heroics.
Quirks- Various and sundry. The Tick’s less than model mental health leaves him with various personality quirks, obsessions, and phobias. These can bypass his normal traits (the Fearless feat, for example, being negated by ant swarms assuming humanoid form, for example).
Rule of Drama: The Tick’s strength is notoriously unreliable at times and can vary notoriously from caper to caper. Like say, going from resisting a black hole in one caper to being floored by a single elephant in another. As such, his traits can drop for the excitement of the game.
Weakness: Mundanity- Tick’s aversion to the mundane stems from his denial of his mundane life prior to becoming a superhero. Being reminded of this can put him into a condition of paralysis or any of the other conditions listed under the Affliction power. The Tick is entirely incapable of living in the “normal world”.
Weakness: Sensitive Antennae. Tick is surprisingly dependant on his antennae for balance and control. If they are twisted or otherwise manhandled, it leaves him disabled and vulnerable or worse.

Abilities 76 + Skills 22 + Advantages 10 + Defenses 14 + Powers 33 = 155 p

Notes: Well, a classic Oddball returns. The Big Blue Avenger himself, the Tick in a complete rebuild. He’s got everything you’ve come to expect- super-strength, nigh invulnerability (he can withstand a power attacking Chainsaw Vigilante for +2/-2), and a rock bottom Will save. Note, new to 3e, that most of his weaknesses are now accounted for by his Complications. These should be worth a good number of hero points per session. He can also survive in space (Life Support Immunity) and regenerate at an amazing speed (Regeneration). His Regeneration, however, is not Persistent- there are times when he gets whacked but good (in game terms, by an effect with the Incurable extra).

Arthur is of course, his trustworthy sidekick and brain to match his brawn. I’ll get to Arthur later.

Angry Police Chief
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Oddballs Reborn! (The Tick's back!)

Post by Angry Police Chief » Fri May 27, 2011 8:47 am

haha nice Tick. I especially like his equipment :mrgreen:
I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes - Ron Swanson

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Oddballs Reborn! (The Tick's back!)

Post by Dreaming Psion » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Arthur
PL: 5 (79 points)

“Hi, I’m Arthur, and this is my diversion. The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout. Down came the rain, and washed the spider out. Up came the sun, and dried up all the rain, and the itsy bitsy spider went up the spout again.”
-Arthur, using a bit of (unexpected) Fascinate

Abilities: Str -1, Sta 0, Agi 2, Dex 1, Fgt 4, Int 3, Awa 3, Pre 0

Skills: Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics 3 (+2), Close Combat (unarmed) 2 (+6), Deception 2 (+2), Expertise (finance) 8 (+11), Expertise (history) 3 (+6), Expertise (science) 2 (+5), Insight 6 (+9), Investigation 4 (+7), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+4), Stealth 8 (+10)
50 ranks

Advantages:
Beginner’s Luck, Defensive Roll, Equipment 5, Fascinate (Persuasion), Grabbing Finesse Jack-of-all-trades, Move-by Action

Equipment: beat-up Mercury Bobcat Villager (as normal car, 10 ep), other mundane equipment as needed (his desk lamp does not transform his apartment into a batcave)

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +6 melee; Tou DC 14

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fort 2, Toughness 5, Will 6

Powers
Flying suit (removable -2 p); 8 p
Enhanced Str 2 (limited to lifting); 2 p
Flight 6 (flaws- wings -1 p/rank); 6 p
Protection 2; 2 p

Complications:
Fish out of water: Arthur is at heart, a contradiction. A mild-mannered, pudgy accountant, yet at the same time having the desire for adventuresome heroics. At the core, Arthur is an Only Sane Man sorely out of place in a world of insanity.
Relationships: Arthur must take care that the Tick’s delusions (and those of his friends, for that matter) doesn’t overwhelm them all. As such, he’s often the voice of reason against the Tick’s more rabid fascinations.

Abilities 24 + Skills 25 + Advantages 11 + Defenses 11 + Powers 8 = 79 p

Notes: Arthur, the sidekick of the Tick and brains to the Tick’s brawns. He’s good for the occaissonal bit of exposition or planning or other brainy stuff (Jack of all Trades/Beginner’s Luck) and can sneak around pretty well (Stealth +10). Otherwise, he mostly just directs the Tick to a best course of action (or tries to).

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Oddballs Reborn! (Tick and Arthur)

Post by Dreaming Psion » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Preacher (archetype)

Abilities: Str 1, Sta 2, Agi 1, Dex 1, Fgt 3, Int 1, Awa 3, Pre 3

Skills: Expertise (oratory) 6 (+9), Expertise (theology) 8, Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 8 (+11), Perception 6 (+9), Persuasion 6 (+9), Stealth 4 (+5), Treatment 3 (+6), Vehicles 1 (+2)
42 ranks

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Equipment 4, Favored Foe (pick one), Fearless, Inspire 2, Leadership, Luck, Second Chance (will vs. Mind control), Startle

Equipment: a copy of the Bible or other holy text, plus 20 points in Equipment
Sharpshooter: heavy pistol (8 ep)

Offense
Initiative +1
Pistol +1 (or +7), +4 damage (DC 19 tou)
Unarmed +3 (or +9), +1 damage (DC 16 tou)

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fort 6, Toughness 5, Will 6

Powers
Power of Conviction
Enhanced Advantages (pick either Close or ranged combat 6); 6 p
• Nullify Unnatural Influence 6 (perception range, distracting); 1 p
Protection 2

Abilities 30 + Skills 21 + Advantages 13 + Defenses 17 + Powers 9 = 90 p

Notes: On the gritty battlegrounds of a post apocalyptic Neo West, the Preacher is not only a man of faith and conviction but also ultimately one of inspiration and often one of action. Whether it’s his sheer grit and stubborn faith or something greater, it’s hard to say, but there’s something special about this guy. And whether he’s preaching peace or fire and brimstone, the preacher’s fiery charisma makes him an excellent face man to win over the common folk.

Mechanically, this guy is an excellent support player with excellent interaction skills. There’s also a few “powers” here that may reflect the powers of moxy and belief or a blessing from a genuine supernatural influence, at your discretion. Treat the nullify unnatural influence as an exorcism or simply a stern pep talk as suits to your setting.

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Oddballs Reborn! (Tick and Arthur)

Post by Dreaming Psion » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Drunkard
PL: 4 (45 points)

Abilities: Str 2, Sta 3, Agi 0, Dex 0, Fgt 2, Int 0, Awa 0, Pre 0

Skills: Close Combat (unarmed) 2 (+4), Deception 5 (+5), Expertise (criminal or streetwise) 5 (+5), Perception 3 (+3), Sleight of Hand 3 (+3), Stealth 4 (+4)
22 ranks

Advantages:
Equipment, Great Endurance, Improvised Weapons 3, Redirect

Equipment: a half-empty bottle of booze, 5 points worth of gear

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +4 melee; +2 damage (DC 17 tou)
Improvised club or dagger, +4 damage (DC 19 tou)

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fort 6, Toughness 4, Will 2

Powers
Grizzled Debaucher
Immunity 2 (disease, poison, limited to half effect); 2 p
Protection 1; 1 p

Abilities 14 + Skills 11 + Advantages 6 + Defenses 11 + Powers 3 = 45 p

Notes: In the ambiguously gritty future after the fall of civilization, life is hard. Too hard for many, who can only turn to the lure of booze and other intoxicants. Most of these poor lost souls simply waste away into nothingness. Those who survive usually just become grizzled barflies. These hardened drunkards usually amount to little besides disturbing the peace. But on some rare occasions, one of these scoundrels gets a hold of himself and develops a heroic backbone to make the world a better (or worse!) place.

Mainly this archetype is for NPC thugs and minions, but might work as a starting point for a particularly rough around the edges PCs