Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Halt Evil Doer! 3.0 - Even more Zaziness!

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.

Re: Halt Evil Doer! 3.0 - Even more Zaziness!

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat May 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Walter Rand

The founder of AmeriCorp, Walter Rand was born during the turn of the century and grew up on the impoverished streets of New Amsterdam's Blood Alley. Walter Rand worked his way up from being a paper boy to becoming the head of the New Amsterdam Gazette, the employer of superhero Antaeus and first paper to cover most superheroic efforts. Walter Rand was fascinated by stories of the superhuman and swiftly began to develop a philosophy that much of humanity's current problems was due to the "tyranny of the majority" keeping them down with their jealousy.

He was a fierce critic of Roosevelt, not only because of the New Deal but also because he believed it was obscene for superhumans to serve at the leisure of a nation of mortal men. Antaeus was, after the revelation of his true identity, always embarrassed by Walter's tireless support and belief that superhumans would inevitably herald the dawn of a superhuman MORALITY in addition to superhuman powers. The Unmasking Massacre broke Walter Rand, causing him to become a recluse as he believed that the "plebs" had betrayed the herald of a new age.

Walter Rand spent the next decade assembling the best scientists in America, supporting the aging Doctor Aeon's attempts to create the John Smith Society as he ruthlessly expanded his business empire to become one of the largest in America since Standard Oil. Joseph McCarthy went after Walter Rand during his persecution of former supporters of superhumans, only to find himself framed for homosexual activities and later found with a gunshot wound to the head. Walter Rand would never tolerate the jealousy of the masses again and believed the "New America" would come from his efforts.

In 1955, he created the first of his famous theme parks that were designed to subtly influence human beings to embrace SCIENCE! and superhuman abilities as the best possible future of mankind. It was during this time that his friendship with Doctor Aeon began to deterioriate, Doctor Aeon believing that Walter's philosophy of science was increasingly moving towards the unethical. Walter Rand believed that any of the damage done in the meantime would be worth it for the future they achieved. He sponsored several "utopia experiments" in the meantime, some of them ending quite badly.

Sadly, in 1966, he discovered that he was dying of cancer and none of his brilliant associates could save his life. Young scientist, Jack Washington Junior, offered an alternative. Having created functional cryogenic slumber for Manhattan Project proceeded to offer the technology for Walter Rand. Signing over a substantial portion of his mammoth estate to Jack Washington Junior through proxies, Walter Rand entered cryogenic slumber and slept for the better part of thirty years. In the meantime, AmeriCorp was managed by General Venom and expanded to become one of the most influential media empires in the world. It also continued its patronage of science, becoming instrumental in private underwater and space colonization programs.

Awakening in 1999, Walter Rand cured his cancer and has extended his longevity to the point that he is likely to live for another thirty years. Retaking AmeriCorp, he is currently outraged by the treatment of Metamen and became one of the chief financiers of Geneis Island, an investment which has paid off several hundred fold. While the Patriots are aware that Walter Rand is a supervillain with ties to several of their opponents, they have so far refused to smear him. Part of this has to do with the fact that Walter Rand is not actually EVIL, even compared to individuals like General Venom, he's simply profoundly misguided with a profound anger at the way the world is run.

Walter Rand has served as an opponent to the Aeon Family, Black Wing II, the Last Ranger, and the third Steel Commando. It's gotten to the point that none of them are comfortable visiting theme parks as "they're probably going to come to life and try to kill us or reveal the horrible all-volunteer human experiments or failed utopias beneath."
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat May 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Why do I get a feeling that Walter Rand and Walt Disney had a few interesting discussions back in the day? (which probably didn't last very long before poor old Walt ran away at Light Speed!). :shock:

Excellent write-up of a fascinating piece of Heroic Earth's 20th Century legendarium Charles; I'll have to see what I can come up with in relation to his doubtless Massive Entertainment empire (sample shows, movies and theme parks!).

Assuming that the proper inspiration strikes when I have some free time from the other projects on my schedule! :wink:

The Futuremen

BTW, the names I've mentioned are:

Miss Plastic
The Living Shadow
Doctor S

Madame Tomorrow (only twelve at the time til she was sixteen and joined the New Fighters for Freedom[/b]
The Humungus

I believe that you also included a list of the most iconic Futuremen members in both the first and second edition HED! sourcebooks Charles; would you mind if I used the names on those lists as well, please?

That ought to save you a bit of work and pad out the list! :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby greycrusader » Sat May 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Libra wrote:
in any case, brilliant stuff Libra and Greycrusader re: The Golden Age Pryde.

Thank you very kindly - I hope that it's just the first of many fruitful collaborations to come! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind words, Charles.

I hope we can collaborate in the future as well, Libra.

I enjoyed the comments on the Aeon villains I've posted-the Etherean Order, Great Devourer, and Mysterious Stranger will follow shortly.

Love to see your comments on the Golden Age Pryde/Lady Lions, Charles.

BTW: I threw in the concept of the wild time-travel adventure involving the Golden Age and Modern Pryde incarnations because in my mind's eye I saw the two teams of heroines sharing an adventure, and knew time travel would have to be involved because of the years. I went a little goofball from there, mainly because I thought it would be fun if two teams that almost never got caught up in these kinds of adventures were targeted by Deathmonger and the Hierophant. So instead of (for example) the Patriots and the Golden Age Liberators in a cosmic cross-over, it involved the Pryde (who normally deal with criminal organizations, minor supervillains, and occult wrongdoings) and a group of second-tier WW II heroines.

Again, welcome any comments!

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat May 07, 2011 5:16 pm

Libra wrote:Why do I get a feeling that Walter Rand and Walt Disney had a few interesting discussions back in the day? (which probably didn't last very long before poor old Walt ran away at Light Speed!). :shock:

Excellent write-up of a fascinating piece of Heroic Earth's 20th Century legendarium Charles; I'll have to see what I can come up with in relation to his doubtless Massive Entertainment empire (sample shows, movies and theme parks!).

Assuming that the proper inspiration strikes when I have some free time from the other projects on my schedule! :wink:

Walt and Walter were friendly business rivals at the start that became increasingly less friendly as it was clear that Walter intended to steal every single idea that Walt Disney had and try to make it "bigger, louder, more masses friendly." Walter wasn't even subtle about it, even copying Walt's look and crossing it with Howard Hughes. The final straw was trying to steal away a number of Mouseketeers to his equivalent organization, the "Young Pioneers" (with Sneckles the Snake).

Walt actually benefited from the rivalry for most of his life, partially because Walter made things a bit easier to in numerous fields but sadly Disney never got quite as big as AmeriCorp. It was recently purchased in Heroic Earth by AmeriCorp and has become another arm of the HOS's propagandist arm.

(Actually, it's debatable which is an arm of which since AmeriCorp has a large number of HOS personnel in its ranks but is much larger than the HOS - after all, you don't need a die-hard terrorist to do cell animation)

(The Euroworlds are, if you can believe it, even more obnoxiously American than EuroDisney - nothing annoys Northerners also than seeing an obnoxious fairytale castle just up the road from London and out their window)
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat May 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Rand's Utopias

The Community: A place actually purchased from Rand by PHANTOM. The Community was essentially just a resort town where people were taken to be subjected to various mind-control experiments in order to figure out how to make people docile and content. The Community saw widespread use during the Age of Superspies, shifting hands several times. It is, disturbingly, one of the single most successful centers of research into control that has ever been located. While the original Community was eventually shut down by Jacob Hunter, detonating a small scale nuclear device in the resulting jailbreak, it has since been opened up in several other places.

General Venom, himself, condemns the Community as an exercise in stupidity. One shouldn't build a nation of slaves after all - one should build a nation of men. The irony, of course, is completely lost upon him.

Hamilton City: An arctic island resort harnessing geothermal power to keep itself running in the middle of Antarctica. Hamilton City is based solely around the principles of useful labor being the driving force behind the amount of wealth that a citizen was allowed to possess. Hamilton City swiftly devolved into a technocracy controlled by a mixture of scientists and labor bosses who kept the populace under control with a series of robots. Ironically, it was the city's isolation that lead to its severe problems as it was never as profitable as it could have been were it closer to somewhere else.

In the end, Hamilton City destroyed itself in a civil war created by the introduction of cybernetics and fully sentient robot labor force (eliminating the need for the "workers" and encouraging its leadership to consider terminating them to reap vast profits). With the assistance of George Timons and Alexander Timons, the pair lead to a successful overthrow of the regime. The survivors swiftly evacuated the ruined city and now only criminals and mad cybernetic monstroscities inhabit it.

Laputa: A literal flying city created by the use of extremely rare rock harvested from the Hollow Earth. Laputa was a nightmare for the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War as it was meant to embody the principles of American exceptionalism. Why Walter Rand thought this was a good idea is anyone's guess as the place became a nuclear armed ticking time bomb of gun toting jingoists afraid that the USA was ****ing away its freedoms. Battle Czar was sent to destroy the place several times but failed utterly due to the fact that the rare rock was actually Annihilation Zone matter.

Ultimately, Laputa was undone by Athena after the country tried several times to instill its hyper jingoistic idealogy on African nations that it would conquer, "For their own good." The city was forced to the ground off the coast of South Africa and has since slowly begun accepting immigration. Laputans are effectively House of Serpents terrorists by default, often murdering people and killing them in General Venom's name without any real regard to the man's idealogy. It doesn't help that the nation still has access to a staggering amount of advanced aerial technology due to enslaved Thran scientists and stolen Atlantean tech.

Oceania: Disturbingly, one of the most successful ones. Rand was inspired by belief that all powerful computers might serve as an adequate substitute for the Supermen until the time they arrived. As the name implies, without irony, they are underwater cities where the Computers and their fascist Secret Police attempt to control everything. The citizens have since all been altered to have the same sort of enhancements as Atlanteans much to the disgust of Captain Nemo's descendants. Oceania 1, 2, and 3 have since been through numerous attempted revolutions by outsiders but none of them have failed. Oceania 4 has been completely destroyed, its populace massacred by the Merrow when they couldn't put aside their hatred and suspicion long enough to stop them.

Really, given the Dystopian nature of Oceania and their various computer leaderd, it's disturbing they have lasted as long as they have.

The Shelters: A series of thirteen underground communities meant to preserve America in the event of nuclear annihilation. The Shelters each had over a thousand residents and were meant to be totally self-contained. The problem was that Rand wasn't entirely content to just leave things as is and used the Shelters as places where he could work on figuring out how to make humans better off. He thus faked nuclear war in several respects, leading the populous to close themselves up. It was not meant to be a permanent condition but the resulting fragility of the human psyche under the belief it was the only place left caused several of the Shelters to self-destruct. Likewise, others went completely around the bend due to isolation and a mixture of the tyrannical like power of the Shelter Leaders.

Disturbingly, three managed to survive to the modern era and a number are still unaccounted for. Two are currently in the direct service of General Venom with an abandoned one under Freehold serving as his high command.

What's disturbing is these aren't ALL of them either as Doctor Henry Moreau III and Ford City can attest.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby greycrusader » Sat May 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Okay, time for more of my Aeon Family foes:

The Ethereal Order: A twisted version of the Aeon Knights, hailing from a doomed Mirror World. Their particular transient, alternate Earth was formed when an Amazing! Comics writer known for his cynical, even perverse revisionist takes on fictional superheroes was somehow stranded into the Mirror Zone. His mind overwhelmed by a still, white space, the writer's imagination created a world with characters he understood. These included the Ethereal Order, the Revisionist World's counterparts of the Aeon Family. A dysfunctional, squabbling band held together by their mutual fears, isolation, and lonliness. Their origins were all tied to the sinister Mr.Smythe, whose terrible experiments bred superbeings whom he manipulated and used to test his own theories. The cheerfully, horribly deluded Captain Ether; Bloodwench-half-woman, half-vampiric octopus; Miss Thing, armed with a massive brain and a mutant brood; addled, living pile-of-napalm JJ Smythe; and Steampunk, walking, skull-headed battle tank. They were among the premier "heroes" of their planet, battling even stranger, more hideous foes than themselves.

Eventually the contradictions and bizarre twists of the Revisionist World proved too much even for malleable mirror-universe reality. The world began melting away, people and places fading (or half-fading) away. The superbeings began fighting pointless skirmishes across the mirror planet, and the "normal" denizens of the world waged nuclear war. Within days, the ravaged planet was returning to the nothingness from which it sprang. But the Ethereal Order survived, and mad Mr. Symythe created a Verity Defying Ship which carried his "family" to the stable universe of Heroic Earth. Seeking out the Aeon Family, the Ethereal Order were at first welcomed as refugees and even fellow heroes. They even acted like heroes of a sort, though their methods were quite unorthodox and their sense of justice quite odd. But strange things began happening-friends and comrades of the Aeon Knights began believing the Ethereal Order were native to reality, while the John Smith Family were dimensional exiles. Changes started taking place in people and historical events.-and not for the better. Mad Mr. Symthe started creating new superhumans through staged "accidents" again.

Finally Dr. Aeon deduced what was happening, and managed to "work around" the reality changes using a time-machine and mnemonic triggers; he regrouped the dispirited Aeon Knights and together they trapped the Ethereal Order in an isolated, constantly re-looping moment of time. They remain inside a "still area" of the Aeon Knights headquarters.

The Mysterious Stranger: As the name implies, not even the Aeon Family has yet discovered the identity of this recurring foe. Though apparently female, the Mysterious Stranger's mask and costume are all concealing, revealing no clue to her appearance otherwise. She sports an 'M' insignia emblazoned on her hood, and the Stranger's costume has the same color scheme as the Aeon Knights uniforms, but in reverse. Appearing infrequently over the course of nearly twenty years, she clearly has access to advanced technology; the Mysterious Stranger has been able to bypass the Aeon Family's security systems, escape certain capture via teleportation, and come up with devices to negate the Aeons' super-powers.

Curiously, the Mysterious Stranger has always made Bruiser Bill and Johnny Aeon her primary targets, eluding or temporarily incapacitating the other Smith family members in order to get the rambunctious pair. She's dropped cryptic hints as to her reasons behind this, and at times even given not-so-veiled clues to her true identity. But whenever the Aeon Knights have followed up on these, they have always turned out to be false or contradictory. The Mysterious Stranger sometimes claims the pair performed-or will perform-some act that ruins her life; on other occasions, she's indicated Bruiser Bill and Johnny must be removed from existence or a terrible event is sure to ensue. Her actual motives remain...enigmatic.

(Bet you thought I was goin to say...mysterious).

I'll save the Great Devourer for Last and Later.

All my best!
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat May 07, 2011 7:27 pm

The Golden Age Pryde of Lions

The organization, for lack of a better term, wasn't really deeply involved in the war against the Nazis. At least in the context that the United States pretty much dismissed the idea of ANY non-superpowered women involving themselves in the conflict. In fact, it was the fact that these sassy ladies wanted to help DESPITE the USA's lack of desire to let them made their story all the more interesting.

Their primary role was mostly getting involved in various criminal plots by Les Collaborators (American Bundists, people who are totally not Charles Linburgh or Henry Ford, Quisling types, etc) and criminals who sought to make a profit on the war. Oddly, they ended up fighting the Black Hand and PHANTOM (despite that organization being ANTI-Nazi) as much as the Proto-Death's Head organization.

The Golden Age Pryde, honestly, didn't meet that many heroes during its service despite a few group shots when the USA realized they were a massively effective group. Aladdin and his Genie, Doc Aeon, Steel Commando I and the Liberators, and the Liberty Men on a couple of occasions were about the extent of it. Oddly, Alex knew them BEFORE the Pryde of Lions and the 1940s Alex directed the Time-Lost Modern Age Pryde to meet with them. "I swear it was like the ghosts of girlfriends past when Maggie met Cynthia."

But yes, the specifics of that adventure basically boiled down to the Heirophant and Deathmonger plus an Atlantean Time Machine and Book of Spells. The Book of Spells was destroyed, much to Heirophant's horror/relief but the Time Machine fell into the hands of the Pryde and remains their tool for visiting their friends in the past. Yes, this causes the Time Police NO end of trouble but they're aware that people of the 21st century have NO respect for linear time.

libra wrote:The fact that she made more friends and enemies across the globe than she did profits, mostly due to the fact that she kept bumping into racism, sexism, fascism, communism et al across the globe and had OPINIONS about that sort of thing which she tended to back up guts alongside true grit in the course of some truly epic put-downs and the ensuing adventures so provoked (later with the help of her sidekick and certain other friends she'd made along the way).

greycrusader wrote:Following World War II, Ava and Trix's adventures followed the later course of the earlier Battle Aces, veering into weird science and the supernatural. During this period, their partnership blossomed into true love. Though discreet, their relationship eventually made them persona non grata in the States, especially after the House Un-American Affairs Committee targeted Ava for her "radical" ideas about racial equality and liberal politics. The two settled in France, which was proud to call the two heroines home for the rest of their lives.

Much to the disgust of many modern historians, much of the Pryde of Lions efforts was actually suppressed and classified in part because of raging homphobes given the fact that the HUAC discovered that not only were their charges ACCURATE but the others were well aware of their inclinations. The investigation would have gone on much longer to expose the "deviants" and their supporters if not for an order to avoid from J. Edgar Hoover (backed by blackmail material) that America's morale would take a drastic blow given how many people were willing to speak up for them who were viewed as heroes.

History, of course, has vindicated the fact that apparently the vast majority of heroes were surprisingly open minded even in the 1940s.

(It helps, of course, that plenty were otherworldly gods, people from the future, French, or just plain used to the unusual)

Libra wrote:The fact that her ability to absorb kinetic force did nothing to protect her garments - and her fondness for CQC tended to result in them being extensively shredded - was, along with the favour of Eva Amazing, a striking beauty all her own and her reputation as quite the pistol, equally helpful in turning her into the first superhuman matinee icon in the Los Dios, courtesy of a rather massive number of much-impressed soldiers.

Greycrusader wrote:The Bombshell did pop up in a few movies during the later days of WW II and in the years thereafter. Unfortunately, her physique stereotyped her as a Carnival strongwoman, female wrestler, and the like. Her career mostly consisted of minor roles in studio films and bigger parts in B-move potboilers. She enjoyed a later-in-life revival as an actress in Mexico, starring in numerous "female wrestler vs gangsters/monsters/aliens" films.

Amusingly, her pinups never did stop being popular because plenty of men didn't mind the fact that their breathtaking lady was a bit on the brawny side. The movies were, of course, TERRIBLE but some of the Westerns were actually remarkably authentic.

Gee, I wonder why.

Her first husband was, interestingly enough, one of the Morris clan. This, ironically, makes the Sunfleurs a distant set of relations to the Aeon Family and other heroes.

Greycrusader wrote:Bombshell still runs a Gold Gym franchaise in Texas, as well as a popular saloon/burger-n-frieds joint. She ran through three husbands in her time, and had children with each, so Cassie Sunflowers has numerous cousins out in the world.

The semi-superhuman physique of the family means that she's about mid-sixties in health despite her age and still able to lift things many normal people can't. She has played the role of "Dirty Old Grandma" to the Pryde on several highly embarrassing visits.

Oddly, The Last Ranger ceases ALL WEIRD in her presence. Such a nice boy.

Libra wrote:Growing into a sturdy, plain graceful and rather no-nonsense young lady, Jade Tigress proved herself capable of deep thought, great sympathy for others and not a little suspicious of those in authority (which would prove helpful in making life more difficult for those agents in government of the Iron Hand at the mercy of the Dragon Lady Death, but also complicated relations between the Tigress and her elders), as well as in possession of a great stone-shattering roar all her own.

Greycrusader wrote:Jade Tigress remains a revered, venerable teacher of the White Lotus Society, though she takes on few new students this late in her life. She does sometimes have to deal with the odd Iron Hand assassin out to make a name for himself; she's less tolerant than she used to be, so Jade Tigress now makes such unworthies hop naked on one foot back to their base-camps.

You can imagine how a Chinese woman went over with the team as well. Thankfully, much of their activity was in the Eastern Theatre anyway ("From one crummy bar to another.")

But yes, Jade Tigress was forced to witness the destruction of much of the China she'd called home not soon after the end of World War 2. The Maoists sent many individuals to kill her and it was only by adopting a normal life was she able to avoid becoming a causalty of it, despite all of her skill. Suffice to say, she was highly depressed for nearly two decades. The rise of Khanate in her backyard also was a dire blow to her ego.

It was, ironically, Maggie Lee who sought her out to learn the ways of martial arts (or more precisely, improve what she learned from the Black Wins) that she regained a sense of purpose.

Note: The White Lotus Society in China was almost destroyed by the Maosits, ironically surviving mostly abroad in Taiwan and other locations. Say what you will about the Chinese government but they didn't take on more than they could chew during the war on superhumans.

Libra wrote:One of the keenest investigative reporters of her day, all but tireless, quite fearless and not unacquainted with the technicalities of beating the snot out of low-lives with her bare hands (her father had been extremely concerned about her safety, she'd been tomboyish in her youth and more than willing to learn what she needed to survive two dangerous professions), Miss Metropolitan distinguished herself in a low-key sort of way as a street-level sleuth and occasional vigilante.

greycrusader wrote:Miss Metropolitan retired uneventfully after V-E day, and returned to her life as a full-time reporter. A dedicated career woman in a time when females had to work twice as hard to get half as far in the profession, the ex-Miss Metropolitan never married, but had numerous eligible suitors even into middle-age. Sadly, she had an occasionaly smoking habit even when actively adventuring, and this escalated into a two-pack a day addiction by the time she was forty. She died at the premature age of 57 of lung cancer.

Honestly, the Unmasking Massacre left her feeling pretty despondant anyway. A close friend and professoonal rival of Antaeus (nothing more, much to her regret sometimes) his suicide was something which destroyed much of her ability to function as an objective journalist on superheroic matters. The fact Miss Metropolitan's secretary and a number of friends were gunned down in the event (despite the fact she'd been retired for years) ALMOST almost lead to a roaring rampage of revenge.

Debates rage to this day why she didn't.

libra wrote:How all this motivation led to her adopting a costumed guise and adopting a habit of sniffing out evidence which could truly settle cases caught up in uncertainty lack of it, then leaving it for her Father to find is an interesting question - suspicions that Athena may have noted the young lady's resolve, then decided that some tutoring from one of her new friends amongst the Liberty-Men are unsurprisingly rife.

greycrusader wrote:Owlgirl and the others went along with this grudgingly, as the alternative was not being allowed to serve at all; Jade Tigress protested vociferously, but eventually consented as even she saw the team being much more effective in the fight against tyrrany with official US backing. Greycoat quit the team in anger, severing her friendship with Owlgirl.

Given the United States wasn't exactly keen on a team of women lead by a Chinese woman either. The issue was a bit more complicated than simple racism at work. Honestly, the issue was Greycoat became increasingly frustrated with the entire system. It was, after all, years until segregation was put to an end and honestly the United States didn't seem worth fighting for. A part of her also felt troubled that she was spending so much time surrounded by wealthy white women and one Chinese girl.

She eventually reconciled with the others but not until she was in her eighties. It helps, really, that much of the New Fighters For Freedom were composed of fanboys and fangirls for the heroes of the past. People who needed guidance to help the Iron Age come to an end.

Libra wrote:Born on the US/ Canadian border, the US Maiden was a young woman possessed of courage, determination, the power to raise and lower ambient temperatures, sufficient to create a mist - and, if she was in a particularly bad mood freeze an area within a radius of considerable size (though she always felt uncomfortable using that ability on Human Beings or those she thought to be Human, preferring to use her abilities to conceal her movements, then rely on stealth,cunning and as small an amount of violence as she could get away with to carry the day).

greycrusader wrote:US Maiden favored the Frost Giant lineage of her biological father.

Loki being named the God of Fire by Wotan actually makes him the only deity in the Nine Worlds capable of traversing all the realms (being a Frost Giant, God of Fire, and god all at once). It was a mistake that Wotan really should have seen coming.

US Maiden oddly DID die a perfectly normal death and ended up in Hel before Ymir had her taken to Valhalla.

(Specifically, the portion conquered by the Giants it's quite nice)

She's now the giant equivalent of a Valkyrie.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat May 07, 2011 7:33 pm

BTW - the thread is now indexed.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Sat May 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Emperor Zengyi the Implacable: Not an alien, though he claims he is the reincarnation of one. Emperor Zengyi the Implacable was once a writer of science fiction. After a near fatal car accident which put him in a coma for several months he claimed he had a vision. In this vision he claims that it was revealed to him that he had the soul of the All Benevolent Emperor Zengyi and it was his destiny to awaken humanity to their alien souls and latent telepathic powers. There was trouble though, the advisors that overthrew him and trapped his soul within a volcano and brainwashed his subjects into committing suicide with thermo-nuclear mind altering waves. These advisors just happen to look like the current Aeon Family.

Though Emperor Zengyi does have fairly minor telepathic and telekinetic his real danger is his fanatic followers. Emperor Zengyi is very very charismatic and has the fire of a true believer. Among his followers are some adept engineers and scientists who have designed some peaceful non lethal weaponry that Emperor Zengyi's followers wield. When they are not targeting the Aeon Family, Emperor Zengyi and his cult target nuclear power plants and other sites for destruction.

Colonel Noon: Colonel Noon is the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea's director of special projects. He has been given two tasks: 1) Build North Korea into a Superhuman world power and 2) Make sure the Imperialist Running Dog Iron Khan stays out of North Korea. It is on the first that brings Colonel Noon in most contact with the Aeon Family as he has taken great interest in both Cynthia Van Helsing and Miss Aeon and not in the romantic sense. In fact, the doctors and scientists under his command have resorted to some pretty nightmarish things in their research. The fact that he has plenty of expendable political prisoners and plan ordinary criminals to use as guinea pigs doesn't help things. The early results were particularly crude. Those that have somehow escaped and defected to China have told stories of huge underground labs where all sorts of experiments have been performed with chemicals, radiation, cybernetics, and extreme behavior modification on those who already have super powers.

Colonel Noon does not have superhuman abilities himself though he has had military training. He surrounds himself with completely brainwashed superhuman's as bodyguards. His most distinguishing feature is a large scare and eye patch from where one of the Iron Khan's assassins got a little to close.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Sat May 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:In 1955, he created the first of his famous theme parks that were designed to subtly influence human beings to embrace SCIENCE! and superhuman abilities as the best possible future of mankind. It was during this time that his friendship with Doctor Aeon began to deterioriate, Doctor Aeon believing that Walter's philosophy of science was increasingly moving towards the unethical. Walter Rand believed that any of the damage done in the meantime would be worth it for the future they achieved. He sponsored several "utopia experiments" in the meantime, some of them ending quite badly.

"A man chooses, a slave obeys." Well that was probably something else. What is with the monomanical tyrannical philosophers and their love of theme parks? Its almost like dictators and their love of statues.

Sadly, in 1966, he discovered that he was dying of cancer and none of his brilliant associates could save his life. Young scientist, Jack Washington Junior, offered an alternative. Having created functional cryogenic slumber for Manhattan Project proceeded to offer the technology for Walter Rand. Signing over a substantial portion of his mammoth estate to Jack Washington Junior through proxies, Walter Rand entered cryogenic slumber and slept for the better part of thirty years. In the meantime, AmeriCorp was managed by General Venom and expanded to become one of the most influential media empires in the world. It also continued its patronage of science, becoming instrumental in private underwater and space colonization programs.

Is anybody else getting a Dr. Evil and No. 2 vibe from this? Other then Mr. Rand probably being much more competent business wise then Dr. Evil.

Awakening in 1999, Walter Rand cured his cancer and has extended his longevity to the point that he is likely to live for another thirty years. Retaking AmeriCorp, he is currently outraged by the treatment of Metamen and became one of the chief financiers of Geneis Island, an investment which has paid off several hundred fold. While the Patriots are aware that Walter Rand is a supervillain with ties to several of their opponents, they have so far refused to smear him. Part of this has to do with the fact that Walter Rand is not actually EVIL, even compared to individuals like General Venom, he's simply profoundly misguided with a profound anger at the way the world is run.

Supporting Apartheid 2.0 at the best and Hitler 2.0 at the worst is more then misguided. It is evil.

Walter Rand has served as an opponent to the Aeon Family, Black Wing II, the Last Ranger, and the third Steel Commando. It's gotten to the point that none of them are comfortable visiting theme parks as "they're probably going to come to life and try to kill us or reveal the horrible all-volunteer human experiments or failed utopias beneath."

The Last Ranger: "Wasn't there a hitman who had a theme park called Death World or something like that?"
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Yes, Andrew Ryan was a big influence on Walter Rand.

Ditto Walt Disney, Howard Hughes, and Mister House.

Suffice to say while I said he's not evil in the description, even *I* have to wonder what I was thinking typing that.

And to think he started as Perry White.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Phrozen » Sat May 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:Yes, Andrew Ryan was a big influence on Walter Rand.

Ditto Walt Disney, Howard Hughes, and Mister House.

Suffice to say while I said he's not evil in the description, even *I* have to wonder what I was thinking typing that.

And to think he started as Perry White.

I would say that General Venom is more of a Randian in philosophy.

Rand is just a flat out racist.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Libra » Sun May 08, 2011 6:12 am

I would not say that Wallie Rand is a racist - in fact I'd say that as a Person he should have many admirable qualities, but that as a Political Idealist and Businessman he's makes a d--- fine newspaper editor.

If Rand gets enthusiastic enough he has difficulty recognising where the Good Ideas stop and the Bad begin, what's worse is the fact that (somewhere deep down) after having discovered that one of his employees was ANTAEUS he keeps half-expecting those who keep secrets to be keeping Good Deeds quiet.

This is neither a sensible or a healthy habit in Heroic Earth.

Growing up in the Bloody Alley of New Amsterdam hasn't exactly left him a gentle or retiring type either; he's monomaniacally dedicated to making a Finer World because he was born into one of the worst and is eager to help everyone else out. I'd also suspect that violent youthful experiences have left him with a certain resigned acceptance of violence in what he sees as a Good Cause.

I probably haven't put this very well, but I honestly don't see Wallie Rand as a Nazi by another name or even a particularly Evil and Violent Man, just an Idealist who trusts his employees a bit too implicitly, as well as a dreamer who doesn't always keep his judgement unclouded when making his dreams reality.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun May 08, 2011 6:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbI7gxxbYpo

(To those who don't know Phrozen's Bioshock reference)

In the case of Walter Rand, being a self-made man from the decidedly corrupt streets of New Amsterdam has also left him predisposed to a lot of anachronistic ideas. He takes a very much, "One Great Man" sort of approach to the world. One tends to either be a parasite who drains the world's resources and tries to tear down the people who are making the world a better place or one is the sort of person who is trying to make the world a better place through FORCE OF WILL.

As you might suspect, he's one of the people who views bureaucratic gridlock and the resistance of people to reforms (not even any SPECIFIC reforms - again, we're going with the "one great man" view of history here) even more negatively than most. Democracy is anathema to this sort of fellow because, unlike General Venom who is mostly irritated with the apathy of citizenry to it (and being uneducated about the issues due to partisan lies on both sides), Rand tends to think great men should make all the decisions.

Supermen, even.

It's not surprising that he's latched onto a person like General Venom who is definitely one of those idealists who are happy to let the world fall into chaos (and nudge it along) so it can be rebuilt better. Rand, of course, does hold quite a few beliefs from the time period he grew up in but his actions in Genesis Island are mostly based on his belief in enlightened despotism. Also, that not not-inconsiderable desire to play God in building a new civilization. Sadly, Walter Rand is the sort of man who tends to see Metropolis and come away entirely missing the point.

"The workers were dirty, uneducated, and resentful of the rich. Genocide against them or self-defense?"
"Please tell me you're joking, Walter."
"I'm just saying, Fritz, that the workers are DANGEROUS."

In many ways, I'd say he's actually more dangerous than General Venom. If, for no other reason that General Venom really IS superhumanly intelligent and would probably institute the sort of Doctor Doom-esque Utopias we occasionally see in the comic books (absent, ironically, freedom). Walter Rand is just intelligent enough to facilitate the changes he wants the old fashioned way and everything to go to pot as a result (see real life Utopians).

No, he's not Hitler but God forbid that Death Mask III run for president on a campaign of rebuilding America.

(Phrozen is correct that General Venom is sort of a Randian ideal even if he'd not self-identify as one. Walter is more the kind of guy who FANCIES himself one).
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sun May 08, 2011 9:58 am

Hmmm . . . plenty of Food for Thought here I see! :D

I'll let it digest a bit while I work out my mental picture of the Future-Men and work up a write-up! :mrgreen:

Out of curiosity inspired by the revelations about Wally Rand, I would be interested in learning more about Antaeus himself and his supporting cast, should you have anything lying about.

Please, Mr Phipps, may we learn more about the first Golden Age Superhero?

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Settings