The Legendary Disciples 2e [Hiatus]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Legendary Disciples 2e [Recruiting 3-5]

Post by Weyrd »

Keiji TanakaPL 8 120pp

Abilities: 22pp
Str-12 (+1)
Dex-20 (+5)
Con-14 (+2)
Int- 12 (+1)
Wis- 14 (+2)
Cha-10 (+0)

Combat: 22pp
Attack: +5
Defense: +6 (+8 with Dodge Focus)
Initiative: +8

Saves: (11pp)
Tough: +4 (+8 with Defensive Roll)
Fort: +6
Ref: +8
Will: +6

Skills: (16pp)
Acrobatics: (8 + 5 dex) = +13
Bluff: (8 + 0 cha) = +8
Climb: (4 + 1 str) = +5
Concentration: (4 + 2 wis) = +6
Escape Artist: (5 + 5 dex) = +10
Knowledge: Streetwise (6 + 1 int) = +7
Notice: (8 + 2 wis) = +10
Search: (4 + 1 int) = +5
Sense Motive: (6 + 2 wis) = +8
Sleight of Hand: (5 + 5 dex) = +10
Stealth: (5 + 5 dex) = +10

Feats: (23pp)
Acrobatic Bluff
Attack Focus: Melee
Attack Specialization (Flow Strike) 1
Blind Fight
Dodge Focus 2
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 2
Grappling Finesse
Evasion
Improved Critical (Flow Strike, 19-20)
Improved Initiative
Improved Grab
Improved Trip
Improved Disarm
Instant Up
Power Attack
Redirect
Stunning Attack
Taunt
Uncanny Dodge

Powers: (26pp)
Raging River Style (Array) 8 (16pp + 3pp = 19pp)
Flow Strike (Strike, Default Array Effect) 8
Extra: Autofire
AP: Chi Strike (Strike 8, Extra: Penetrating)
AP: Tranquil Stream (Chi, Healing Effect Limited to Self) 8
AP: Overwhelming Force (Chi, Boost Effect Strength) 8
AP: Deflect (Slow, Precise,Interpose) 8
Danger Sense (1pp)
Leaping 2 (x4 multiplier) (2pp)
Mind Over Matter: Protection 4 (4pp)
Last edited by Weyrd on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Corin
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Corin »

My apologies for the lack of response to your PM's and here on the boards, I've been traveling this past week and there is little to no internet access with my relatives (finally found one who has it!).

@Raksha:
the majority of the change is in Attractive, Bishoujo, Distracting Looks, and quite a bit of help with her grappling (especially in 'pinning'), one has to wonder what exactly the master/masters were intending to teach her...
It could be a difference in confidence? If for example you rp her as somewhat timid around humans during the Prelude but coming out of her shell after living and training amongst them, I have no problems with her. Her Favored Opponent (Chi Mages) puts her over skill caps in bluff against Male Chi mages. Besides it seems to limit her effectiveness (I usually advise against Favored Opponent for my PCs).
One thing I'd like to see from her is some sort of Stance coming out of her training with Kunai.
All in all I like her.

@Speeddemon: I'd be happy to have you aboard.

@Spazzy: What your describing for the sword feels more like a Battle Form as an AP of the Device itself, if you want I'll help with any point's shuffling required.
Dragonmonk drawbacks approved (sorry it took so long).

@Weryd: Looks good, some explanation of his PL 8 Stance would be appreciated (though not required).

Anyway, I'm keeping recruitment open until the 12th, so take your time guys no rush.

Raksha
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Raksha »

Her Favored Opponent (Chi Mages) puts her over skill caps in bluff against Male Chi mages. Besides it seems to limit her effectiveness (I usually advise against Favored Opponent for my PCs).
Damnit. Knew I was forgetting something. I was mainly trying to find a way to fill out her damage/accuracy tradeoff, and she doesn't seem like a Strength-type character to me.

Also made the changes you requested in the PM.

I'm probably doing the stance wrong, since it's missing a non-instant power. If I'm doing it wrong, do you have any suggestions for powers that could fit? If I'm doing it correctly, what's the stance's duration?

EDIT:
It could be a difference in confidence? If for example you rp her as somewhat timid around humans during the Prelude but coming out of her shell after living and training amongst them, I have no problems with her.
That's a good idea. I'll have to keep that in mind - thanks!

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Weyrd »

Made one change, got rid of hide in plain sight and replaced it with takedown attack.
@Weryd: Looks good, some explanation of his PL 8 Stance would be appreciated (though not required).
Do you mean an explaination of what his fighting style would look like or why I chose the items I did?

Corin
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Corin »

What it would look like.

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Weyrd »

I basically envision it to look like a series of strikes with one flowing into another. I see him in lots of low stance and he would be continually moving, his steps seeming almost dance like. The style's power would come from that constant movement and his ability to adapt to or "flow" around his opponents defenses. Let me know if that gives you a better idea of if I'm lacking details in a certain area.

Spazzy
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Spazzy »

Ok, I've made the adjustments to my submission's statistics, as well as an attempt to make the entry more readable and descriptive.

Corin
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Corin »

Okay everyone looks good so far, again I'm keeping recruitment open until the 12th so anyone who hasn't submitted a character yet can and if you want to edit your submitted character go for it, just please point out what you did. Anyway good gaming.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Post by kirinke »

I'm interested. I'd like to investigate the mage thing. If someone is doing water, I'm good for fire or earth to start out with. For the style of fighting, I'd think it'd be primarily defensive at least at first

Concept Art linkie:Image
Name: Eriko "Jade" Midori
Hgt: 5ft tall. Build Slender. Eyes: Green. Hair Black.

Nobody knows where Jade comes from, she was found on the doorstep of the village healer. She grew up learning the trade of her foster mother, helping heal the hurts of her village people with her strange powers, so unlike her Water-Mage mother or anything they knew of. Most assumed that she was part kami, or maybe even a half-fox child. She didn't really know, all she knew was that most of the spirits surrounding the village were quite friendly with her, always condescending to play games with the little mortal child, helping her cope with her abilities as best as they could.

Everything changed though when Master Tenzen wandered through the village, he was surprised to find a child playing tag with an earth sprite, brimming with elemental magic and barely focused chi.

He studied the child, finding that she did not look like a Japanese child would and questioned her mother, who told him that she was a foundling, quite possibly part kami, though of which sort, nobody was quites sure. He knew though, that the girl had to be trained, such a young thing, so innocent and full of power would eventually attract quite the wrong sort of attention, the sort of attention the village would not be able to fend off. He convinced her mother and the village elders that it would be best if she trained with him at the temple and she reluctantly left the only life she knew, knowing that in the end, he was right. She had to learn, otherwise she'd hurt something or someone.

COMPLICATIONS
Inhuman: Jade is not completely human and is viewed with some... mistrust at worst or curiousity at best, depending on the individual in question, since she's mostly harmless, most are outright curious about her.
Reputation Prankster: Jade is well known for her pranks and jokes on unsuspecting people
Secret Heritage: One of her parents is Inari Ōkami kami of fertility, rice, agriculture, foxes, industry and worldly success
Temper: It takes alot to make Jade angry, but when she does get angry, run. She tends to be very inventive with her pranks, so much so that her friends think either her ma or her dad might be a fox spirit. They aren't half-wrong. This perception is further inhanced when she uses her powers, which turn her hair pure white and her eyes icy blue.

Spirit Healer: Jade is a spirit healer, a rare breed of chi-healer that can affect insubstantial spirits and kami. This can lead to all sorts of potential mayhem once it's discovered.

Notes:
At this point, Jade is not going to have much in the way of combat abilities as she was training to be a Chi healer (she knows how to dodge pretty good though). As per usual with most of my characters, more complications will arise as I get to know the character better. Notes: How she uses her powers is different from most elemental mages, mainly because it's innate and stims from her inhuman heritage, it is readily noticable, enough so that people will know she is not quite normal.

Power Level: 4; Power Points Spent: 60/60

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +0 (10), CON: +0 (10), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +0, Fort: +4, Ref: +3, Will: +5

Skills: Medicine 2 (+5). Concentration 2 (+3). Bluff 2 (+3). Diplomacy 2 (+3). Intimidate 2 (+3). Sense Motive 2 (+3). Notice 2 (+3). Handle Animal 2 (+3).

Feats: Benefit (common sense), Improved Trip, Luck 2, Martial Artist, Trance

Powers:
Chi 10 (effect: healing rank 4; Total; Persistent, Regrowth)
Boost 4 (Alternate; boost: trait w/ descriptor, DC 14; Variable Descriptor 2 (Broad group))
Chi Sense 17 (Alternate; Acute/Analytical/Innate chi sense. aura reading, danger sense, darkvision, see invisible. Detect Spirits/communicate with spirits)

Attack Bonus: +0 (Ranged: +0, Melee: +0, Grapple: +0)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +0 (DC 15)

Defense: +4 (Flat-footed: +2), Knockback: +0

Initiative: +0

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 8 + Skills 2 (9 ranks) + Feats 6 + Powers 24 + Combat 8 + Saves 12 + Drawbacks 0 = 60
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 120/120
Concept art link at PL 8: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs11/i/2006/ ... ijeney.jpg

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +7 (24), CON: +4 (18), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +4, Fort: +4, Ref: +7, Will: +2

Skills: Acrobatics 5 (+12), Bluff 4 (+6), Concentration 6 (+8), Diplomacy 4 (+6), Handle Animal 1 (+3), Knowledge (arcane Lore) 4 (+4), Knowledge (tactics) 4 (+4), Medicine 4 (+6), Notice 4 (+6), Search 6 (+6), Sense Motive 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 1 (+8)

Feats: Benefit (common sense), Fearless, Hide in Plain Sight, Improvised Weapons 8, Instant Up, Luck 2, Martial Artist, Prone Fighting, Trance, Up The Wall

Attack Bonus: +8 (Ranged: +8, Melee: +8, Grapple: +8)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +8 (DC 15)

Defense: +4 (Flat-footed: +2), Knockback: -2

Initiative: +7

Languages: Native Language

POWER ARRAY RANK 13, Innate, affects insubstantial full power , noticable powers -1pp
-Default Chi Senses: Chi Sense 25 (acute, acute: Scent, analytical: Basic Chi Sense, analytical: Scent, aura reading, basic chi sense, cosmic awareness, danger sense, detect weakness, direction sense, distance sense, infravision, scent, see invisible, uncanny dodge: Basic Chi Sense)
-Chi Healing 8 (total, regrowth, persistent)
-Boost 8 (2 trait group) variable broad range. DAP: Drain (2 trait group) variable broad range.
-Comprehend 8 (Array; animals - speak to, animals - understand, codes & ciphers, languages - read all, languages - speak all, languages - understand all, languages - you're understood, spirits(detect))
-Air Control 8 (Array; Strength: 40, Carry: 2.1k / 4.3k / 3.2 tons / 6.4 tons, Freshen air, DAP Blast (variable effects within array). Snare (tether). Dazzle (sight). Deflect (all). )
-Blast 6 (Shapable Area/Selective Attack). DAP Snare (shapable area/selective attack)
-Super Speed 5. Quickness 5. Speed 5. Improved inititive 5. DAP Leaping
-Spirit Control 8. DAP Exorcise. Banish (universal)
-Morph 7 (+35 disguise). DAP Illusion (sight/auditory)
Totals: Abilities 30 + Skills 12 (47 ranks) + Feats 18 + Powers 36+ Combat 24 + Saves 0 + Drawbacks 0 = 120
Last edited by kirinke on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 24 times in total.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

Here's my PL 4 Waterbender build, just wanting to make sure this is what you are thinking of with regards to elemental magic... if it's interesting/in-line I'll stat her to 8 and get backstory.

Marika
PL 4 PP60

Abilities: St 8 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 10 [10pp]

Tradeoffs Def +2/ Tough -2,

Saves: Fort 1+2 = +3, Ref 3+3 = +6, Will 2+3 = +5 [8pp]
Toughness +1+2 leather = +3

Skills [8pp]: Sense Motive +6 (+8.), Notice +2 (+4.), Concentration +8 (+10), Survival +1 (+3), Medicine +3(+5), Acrobatics +7 (+10), Knowledge History +1, stealth +4 (+7),

Feats [11pp]: equipment 1, Attack Focus Melee 2, Dodge focus 4, Uncanny dodge (hearing), Evasion, Skill Mastery (Concentration, Acrobatics, Medicine, Stealth), Prone Fighting,

Equipment: Leathers (Protection 2), large waterskin, iron tiger claws (dmg+1, mighty [lethal])

Combat: BAB 2 [4pp] Ranged +2 / Melee +4
BDB 1 [2pp] +4 Dodge = +5, +1 if Uncanny dodge doesn’t apply

Powers:

Wave Riding – Flight; Flaw: Platform, Drawbacks: Low ceiling 2,Light Load 1, Feats: Move by Action PR 3 [1pp]
{Marika summons a wave or even a vapor cloud from the air upon which she rides forth at 50 mph. The wave can lift her no higher than 15 feet and she is prone to being knocked or pulled off. She cannot be laden with more than Medium load} [Move at 500 ft/move action.]

Water Bending:
Streaming the Water - Water control (feats: Environmental Adaptation (water), Improved trip, Improved Throw) pr 4 [11pp + 7AP] {Basic water movement.} [Str 20, Heavy Load lbs, ~00 gallons ]

AP: Deflect (slow projectiles, energy, {melee is included}); Feats: extended Reach, pr 5
Flow of Battle{This fighting style is based on redirection of energy. Marika keeps a band of water flowing over her which she maneuvers to accept any melee attack or any projectile launched at or near her location. In a flowing, circular motion she directs the attack away.]

AP: Healing; Extra: Total, Feats: Stabilize, Split attack, pr3
Wholeness of Blood{Surrounding a target with water and with an application of chi, Marika can will blood and body to knit back together at accelerated speeds} [Con check +3, DC 10 to Heal anything, by every 5 over, heal another condition, can ‘split’ to heal two people at a much lower rank. They must be near each other.]

AP: Create Object; Extra: Moveable, Flaw: Concentration, Feats: Stationary, Tether. pr 4
Stance of Shaping{This is a Water bender’s ability to make hardened water objects. As long as she keeps concentrating she can form objects and move them at her command or keep them as barriers. Any minor attacks on the objects are simply ignored, flowing off harmlessly. She can also choose what the objects simply flow around what they don’t. Note: She cannot form ice.} [4, 5 foot squares, +4 vs. Str to oppose movement. Toughness +4. Standard action to maintain every round. Hard water. Can Trap, DC14 Reflex to avoid, Can drop in area DC14 Ref, DC 19 Toughness, Moves/Supports with 20 strength, Heavy load 00 lbs]

AP: Snare pr4; Feats: Tether, Chokehold, Accurate, .
Tide Flows Over{At the completion of this maneuver, Marika launches a sphere of water that splashes over whatever it hits. It clings and spreads, impeding movement, possibly encasing entirely. If so, at her direction, it covers mouth and nose. The water, at her mental direction, can move the snared individual as well.} [+4 to Hit, DC 14 Reflex, fail = Entangled, -2 attack, -2 defense, -4 Dex, no dodge, move@ half; if Save fails by 5 or another successful attack, Helpless and can choose to apply choke, or 'exert strength against' her strength counts as 20 with the Tether. Snare Toughness +4, needs to fail by 5 or more to make hole or escape artist DC 24]

AP: Strike; Area Shapeable (targeted), Flaw: Full Round Action , Feat: Homing, Progression-Area (8 contiguous squares, any shape, must include Marika) pr 4 +Linked Trip; Flaw: Touch, Full-Round Action; Extra: Area Shapeable, Feat: Improved Trip (worse of Str or Dex), Progression - Area. pr 4
Water Whip{after a bit of Concentration, a whip of water shoots and writhes at her direction, striking and likely knocking to the ground opponents. Even if it misses, the chaotic flailing of the whip may still hit a target as it withdraws.} [8, 5foot squares, +4 attack, DC 19 Toughness, 1d20+4 vs 1d20 + LOWER of Str or Dex or be knocked prone, Homing]

AP: Blast; Extra: Autofire 2, Feats: accurate 2, Ranged Pin, pr 2
Shower of Sharpened Shards{In the only ability she has that calls upon the frozen land of her birth, Marika projects several dozen icicles toward and opponent. She can choose to pin their clothing instead.} [+6 to Hit, If attack succeeds by 1 over defense DC 18 Toughness, If hits by two or more DC 19 Toughness, out to 20 feet, Alternatively, ranged pin (counts as anchored Entangle), Reflex vs. attack roll, if fail, DC 15 str or escape artist as move action to free, Can attack a line, can lay Cover Fire]

AP:Water Cloak Stance 3
--Elongation 2(Extra:Projection, Limit:Arms only)
--Enhanced Strength 8
--Feat: Withstand Damage

Drawback:
Water Bending gets a -1 Drawback for requiring Water to work
and a -1 Drawback for Powerloss if unable to gesture.

Abilities 10+ Saves 8+ Skills 8 + Feats 11 + Combat 6 + Powers 19 – Drawbacks 2 = 60

Examples from the show that I drew these powers from.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udqiw7bgaDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCZtuYxY ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XmyS4tp ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69uUBIjK ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZg30vnk ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMgAGAlrCng&NR=1

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Crazyivan777 »

Just checking to see if 'auditions' are still open? I just saw this thread, and it sounds like a game I could really enjoy; I'm a sucker for a good martial arts story. If it's open, do I just pitch the character? (Sorry, new to the 'Game Room' side of things here.)

Corin
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Corin »

Alright, looks good so far, PM'd you guys with a few minor issues.

And yes recruitment is still open until the 12th (due to personal schedule I won't be able to close it any quicker), just submit your character here with backstory, PL 4, and PL 8 builds.

@Kirinke, Concept approved, though I'd like to see her get closer to her PL 8 defensive caps. An explanation of the Comprehend Languages & Animals power would also be appreciated.

@Flynnarel, Looks good PL 8 build and Backstory please.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

Marika
PL 4 PP60

Abilities: St 8 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 10 [10pp]

Tradeoffs Def +2/ Tough -2,

Saves: Fort 1+2 = +3, Ref 3+3 = +6, Will 2+3 = +5 [8pp]
Toughness +1+2 leather = +3

Skills [8pp]: Sense Motive +6 (+8.), Notice +2 (+4.), Concentration +8 (+10), Survival +1 (+3), Medicine +3(+5), Acrobatics +7 (+10), Knowledge History +1, stealth +4 (+7),

Feats [11pp]: equipment 1, Attack Focus Melee 2, Dodge focus 4, Uncanny dodge (hearing), Evasion, Skill Mastery (Concentration, Acrobatics, Medicine, Stealth), Prone Fighting,

Equipment: Leathers (Protection 2), large waterskin, iron tiger claws (dmg+1, mighty [lethal])

Combat: BAB 2 [4pp] Ranged +2 / Melee +4
BDB 1 [2pp] +4 Dodge = +5, +1 if Uncanny dodge doesn’t apply
Initiative: +3

Powers:

Water Bending:
Streaming the Water - Water control (feats: Environmental Adaptation (water), Improved trip, Improved Throw) pr 4 [11pp + 7AP] {Basic water movement.} [Str 20, Heavy Load lbs, ~00 gallons ]

AP: Deflect (slow projectiles, energy, {melee is included}); Feats: extended Reach, pr 5
Flow of Battle{This fighting style is based on redirection of energy. Marika keeps a band of water flowing over her which she maneuvers to accept any melee attack or any projectile launched at or near her location. In a flowing, circular motion she directs the attack away.]

AP: Deflect (melee only 0/rank) Extra: Reflect, Redirect; Feat: Subtle pr 5
Bend the Stream{Continuing the concepts of redirection of energy, Marika patiently awaits melee attacks. In a twisting motion she redirects the attack, sometimes back at the attacker, sometimes toward someone else in melee range. Reflected Attacks +4 to hit new target, Damage/effects as original attack.]

AP: Healing; Extra: Total, Feats: Stabilize, Split attack, pr3
Wholeness of Blood{Surrounding a target with water and with an application of chi, Marika can will blood and body to knit back together at accelerated speeds} [Con check +3, DC 10 to Heal anything, by every 5 over, heal another condition, can ‘split’ to heal two people at a much lower rank. They must be near each other.]

AP: Create Object; Extra: Moveable, Flaw: Concentration, Feats: Stationary, Tether. pr 4
Stance of Shaping{This is a Water bender’s ability to make hardened water objects. As long as she keeps concentrating she can form objects and move them at her command or keep them as barriers. Any minor attacks on the objects are simply ignored, flowing off harmlessly. She can also choose what the objects simply flow around what they don’t. Note: She cannot form ice.} [4, 5 foot squares, +4 vs. Str to oppose movement. Toughness +4. Standard action to maintain every round. Hard water. Can Trap, DC14 Reflex to avoid, Can drop in area DC14 Ref, DC 19 Toughness, Moves/Supports with 20 strength, Heavy load 00 lbs]

AP: Snare pr4; Feats: Tether, Chokehold, Accurate, .
Tide Flows Over{At the completion of this maneuver, Marika launches a sphere of water that splashes over whatever it hits. It clings and spreads, impeding movement, possibly encasing entirely. If so, at her direction, it covers mouth and nose. The water, at her mental direction, can move the snared individual as well.} [+4 to Hit, DC 14 Reflex, fail = Entangled, -2 attack, -2 defense, -4 Dex, no dodge, move@ half; if Save fails by 5 or another successful attack, Helpless and can choose to apply choke, or 'exert strength against' her strength counts as 20 with the Tether. Snare Toughness +4, needs to fail by 5 or more to make hole or escape artist DC 24]

AP: Strike; Area Shapeable (targeted), Flaw: Full Round Action , Feat: Homing, Progression-Area (8 contiguous squares, any shape, must include Marika) pr 4 +Linked Trip; Flaw: Touch, Full-Round Action; Extra: Area Shapeable, Feat: Improved Trip (worse of Str or Dex), Progression - Area. pr 4
Water Whip{after a bit of Concentration, a whip of water shoots and writhes at her direction, striking and likely knocking to the ground opponents. Even if it misses, the chaotic flailing of the whip may still hit a target as it withdraws.} [8, 5foot squares, +4 attack, DC 19 Toughness, 1d20+4 vs 1d20 + LOWER of Str or Dex or be knocked prone, Homing]

AP: Blast; Extra: Autofire 2, Feats: accurate 2, Ranged Pin, pr 2
Shower of Sharpened Shards{In the only ability she has that calls upon the frozen land of her birth, Marika projects several dozen icicles toward and opponent. She can choose to pin their clothing instead.} [+6 to Hit, If attack succeeds by 1 over defense DC 18 Toughness, If hits by two or more DC 19 Toughness, out to 20 feet, Alternatively, ranged pin (counts as anchored Entangle), Reflex vs. attack roll, if fail, DC 15 str or escape artist as move action to free, Can attack a line, can lay Cover Fire]

--Elongation 2(Extra:Projection, Limit:Arms only)
--Enhanced Strength 8
--Feat: Withstand Damage

Drawback:

Abilities 10+ Saves 8+ Skills 8 + Feats 11 + Combat 6 + Powers 19 – Drawbacks 2 = 60

Backstory wrote: “Your ability to focus is... passable and you are moderately-talented in many other ways, Marika, I just do not understand why you cannot form sustainable ice. All it takes is a stillness that you replicate in the water you control.”

Marika was sullen, which only tinged the annoyance she felt at this old argument. “Yes, Ma’am. Sorry, Ma’am. But… I must ask… is the formation of ice a requirement for me to be a Guardian of The Sacred Pools?” she regretted it instantly when she saw the Mistress of Novices’ face grow glacial. She’d be peeling tubers for a week… again.

“Marika, child…” it wasn’t a term of endearment as much as a reminder of her low status amongst the Novices brought about by age and limitations, “do you WANT to stand sentinel by Tsukuyomi’s divine waters, protecting them from those who might contaminate or corrupt them?” Marika at least knew as much to stay silent and nod. She really did too. The Guardians were an ancient sisterhood tasked with protection of the Celestial Mother’s own blessed waters here in the Northernmost reaches where ice and snow were the norm. She’d admired them ever since she was a little girl. They took her in when her family’s home collapsed, orphaning her.

“And do you want the camaraderie of sisterhood and the surety of upholding a sacred duty in service to Lady Tsukuyomi?” Marika hesitated. Some of other Novices could be mean. They made fun of her hair, wilted and stringy as it was. And they teased her for having larger ‘mannish’ feet and hands. The Mistress of Novices took her hesitation as a sign of disrespect.

“Or can be relegated back to the village. You *are* of marrying age afterall. There is always a need for skilled workers, gatherers, chiurgeons, …”

“No, Mistress Narosa!” Marika blurted. “Please, … I’ll get better, I promise.” she pleaded, choking down the anger that began to bubble in her. Mistress Narosa truly knew Marika’s weakness. Their traditions held that women were subservient to their husbands. Guardianhood was one way to escape that role. ”Please give me another chance.”

The Mistress let show a small smile of triumph. “Maybe there IS a way. You will travel South and deliver this letter to Master Tenzen, one of the greatest Teachers in the land, familiar not only with our style but that of ALL the elemental traditions. It asks that he examine you to determine the cause of your deficiencies and if there is anything that can be done for you. You are to bear a shipment of our local herbs which he uses for poultices and such. One was being sent anyway. And you are as good as any to guard it. Oh, don’t look so sullen. It is a compliment that we are sending you out despite your years. Besides, it was Grand Mistress Marleena’s idea. She sees something there, Goddess-only-knows what.” Marika took some comfort in that. Marleena was the seniormost among them and had always treated Marika tenderly. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad afterall.

Complications @ PL 4 (possibly carrying over to level 8)
Smart-mouth: Marika says what’s on her mind despite of how inappropriate it is.
Rebels against tradition: Especially the ones that see women in lesser roles than men.
Fear of immobilization: Marika gets frantic whenever held down or immobilized.

[This was a set up for the pre-training, PL 4 adventures.]

Gain Complication: protect the Pearl of Tsukuyomi

[Then insert training montage.]

Marika
PL 8 PP120

Abilities: St 8 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 10 [12pp]

Tradeoffs Def +3/ Tough -3,

Saves: Fort 4+2con = +6, Ref 6+3dex = +9, Will 6+2wis = +8 [16pp]
Toughness +2con+2 leather +1feat = +5

Skills [12pp]: Sense Motive +5 (+7.), Notice +8 (+10.), Concentration +10 (+12), Survival +1 (+3), Medicine +8.(+10.), Acrobatics +7 (+10), Knowledge History +1, stealth +8 (+11),

Feats [17pp]: equipment 1, Attack Focus Melee 2, Attack Specialize(Unarmed), Dodge focus 6, Uncanny dodge (hearing), Evasion, Skill Mastery (Concentration, Acrobatics, Medicine, Stealth), Prone Fighting, Grappling Finesse, Tough, improved Initiative 1,

Other equipment: normal First Aid kit.

Combat: BAB 4 [8pp] Ranged +4 / Melee +6 / Unarmed +8
BDB 5 [10pp] +6 Dodge = +11, +3 if Uncanny dodge doesn’t apply, 21 and 13 repectively
Grapple: +6(melee)+3(Dex) = 9

Powers:

Tidal Connection Senses, Sustained: Detect Water[Mental], Ranged, Accurate, Radius, Extended [6pp+2AP]
{Marika can accurately sense where water is including waterskins, rain barrels, and possibly sweat. She knows where she is in relation to nearby lakes and streams even with her eyes closed.}
AP: Obscure (Vision), Independent, Flaw:Normal Vision Only; Feat: Slow Fade, Reversible pr4 {Marika wills water to condense in the air creating a fog to block sight in up to a 50 foot radius lasting 20 rounds, reducing in radius every 5. She needs no external source of water for this and no gestures. It's not in her control once summoned (She cannot move it around like normal Obscurements), though she can banish it.}
AP: Ice Skates Speed 2, move by action, Fast Overrun, Improved Overrun, Improved Throw {Marika skates along quickly on ice that forms under the soles of her feet. She can try to bowl people over with this. Melee Attack +6, if hits, Overrun attempt +2(speed)+4(imp.overrun) vs worse of either their strength or dex.}

Water Bending Array:
Streaming the Water - As Telekinesis with a water movement descriptor (Extra: Damaging, feats: Accurate, Improved trip, Improved Throw) pr 8 [27pp + 12AP] {Basic 'water' movement.} [Str 40, Heavy Load 3 tons, ~750 gallons, +8 to hit, DC 23 Toughness, or Trip attack at 1d20 +8(power rank)+4(improved Trip) vs worse of Str or Dex, or Grapple at +8(power), can damage.]

AP: Strike pr 8, Ranged, Feats: Penetrating 4, Feats: Accurate, Precise 2, Blind Fighting, Power Attack, Accurate Attack, Improved Aim
Water Blade {A launching of water, blade-thin, moves as Marika directs cutting through things as neatly as a sword.} [+8 to hit, Toughness DC 23, this is a basic, all-purpose, standard action attack that can go out up to 80-ft from Marika. Her control is such that she can accurately put the strike where it's most needed, including where it might do the most damage, get around cover, even be aimed well.]

AP: Deflect (slow projectiles, energy, {melee is included}); Feats: extended Reach 3, Precise, pr 11
Flow of Battle{This fighting style is based on redirection of energy. Marika keeps a band of water flowing over her which she maneuvers to accept any melee attack or any projectile launched at or near her location. In a flowing, circular motion she directs the attack away or possibly catches it in the protective waters.}[Deflect is a 1d20+11 vs their attack roll, she can do this up to 15 feet away from her. Can catch @ no penalty.]

AP: Deflect pr 11 (melee only 0/rank) Extra: Reflect, Redirect; Feat: Subtle +Link; Trip(Flaw:Touch Range) pr 8:
Bend the Stream{Continuing the concepts of redirection of energy, Marika patiently awaits melee attacks. In a twisting motion she redirects the attack, sometimes back at the attacker, sometimes toward someone else in melee range. Reflected Attacks +8 to hit new target, Damage/effects as original attack. With a subtle push Marika can sometime cause attackers to overbalance and trip.}

AP: Healing; Extra: Total, Standard action, Feats: Stabilize, Split attack 2, pr6
Wholeness of Blood{Surrounding a target with water and with an application of chi, Marika can will blood and body to knit back together at accelerated speeds} [Con check +6, DC 10 to Heal anything, by every 5 over, heal another condition, can ‘split’ to heal three people at a much lower rank. They must be near each other.]

AP: Create Object; Extra: Moveable, Feats: Stationary, Tether, Selective. pr 8
Stance of Shaping{This is a Water bender’s ability to make hardened water objects. She can form objects and move them at her command or keep them as barriers. She can also choose what the objects simply flow around what they don’t. Note: She cannot form ice with *this* stance.} [8, 5 foot squares, +8 vs. Str to oppose movement. Toughness +8. Hard water. Can Trap, DC18 Reflex to avoid, Can drop in area DC18 Ref, DC 23 Toughness, Moves/Supports with 40 strength, Heavy load 3 tons]

AP: Create Object, Extra: Impervious, Independent[0], Feats: Stationary, Slow Fade, Precise pr 8
Glacial Flow{Marika has finally learned the centering it takes to form ice. Her ice barriers and Shaped objects are quite difficult to harm but melt slowly over time.} [8, 5 foot squares, +8 vs. Str to oppose movement. Toughness +8, Impervious. Ice. Can Trap, DC18 Reflex to avoid, Can drop in area DC18 Ref, DC 23 Toughness, Supports with 40 strength, Heavy load 3 tons]

AP: Snare pr8; Feats: Tether, Chokehold, Reversible, Accurate 2, Obscure Sight, Obscure Hearing.
Tide Flows Over{At the completion of this maneuver, Marika launches a sphere of water that splashes over whatever it hits. It clings and spreads, impeding movement, possibly encasing entirely and cutting off breathing passages. If so, at her direction, it covers the eyes and plugs ears or releases entirely.} [+8 to Hit, DC 18 Reflex, fail = Entangled, -2 attack, -2 defense, -4 Dex, no dodge, move@ half; if Save fails by 5 or another successful attack, Helpless and applies Suffocation, she can 'exert strength against', her strength counts as 40 with the Tether. Ensnared person gets their strength as damage automatically, Snare Toughness +8, needs to fail by 5 or more to make hole or escape artist DC 28]

AP: Snare; Extra: Area-Shapeable, Backlash, Flaw: Touch Range; Feats: Reversible, Obscure Sight, Indirect (From Below), pr 8
Winter’s Embrace{At the completion of this maneuver, Ice spreads from Marika rapidly. Anyone caught by it has their limbs pinned, joints frozen, and permafrost covers and hardens over them. The sharp ice crystals will punish any who tries to break out. If so, at her direction, it covers the eyes or releases entirely. The effect can spread under barriers to grow up over people.} [DC 18 Ref to see if full or half effect, if made, DC 14 Ref, if fail, DC 18 Reflex, fail = Entangled, -2 attack, -2 defense, -4 Dex, no dodge, move@ half; if Save fails by 5 or another successful attack, Helpless and if they try and fail to break out the suffer the Toughness DC of their own attack. Snare Toughness +8, needs to fail by 5 or more to make hole or escape artist DC 28]

AP: Strike; Area Shapeable (targeted), Flaw: Full Round Action, Feat: Accuracy, Homing, Progression-Area (16 contiguous squares, any shape, must include Marika) pr 8 +Linked Trip; Flaw: Touch, Full-Round Action; Extra: Area Shapeable, Feat: Improved Trip (worse of Str or Dex), Progression - Area. pr 8
Water Whip{after a bit of Concentration, a whip of water shoots and writhes at her direction, striking and likely knocking to the ground opponents. Even if it misses, the chaotic flailing of the whip may still hit a target as it withdraws.} [16, 5foot squares, +8 attack, DC 23 Toughness, 1d20+8 vs 1d20 + LOWER of Str or Dex or be knocked prone, Homing]

AP: Blast; Extra: Autofire 2, Feats: accurate 3, Ranged Pin, Drawback: lethal only pr 6
Shower of Sharpened Shards{Marika forms and projects several dozen icicles toward and opponent. She can choose to pin their clothing instead.} [+10 to Hit, If attack succeeds by 1 over defense DC 22 Toughness, If hits by two or more DC 23 Toughness, If by 3 or greater, DC 24 Toughness out to 60 feet, Alternatively, ranged pin (counts as anchored Entangle), Reflex vs. attack roll, if fail, DC 15 str or escape artist as move action to free, Can attack a line, can lay Cover Fire]

AP: Blast pr 10, Alternate save-Fortitude, Feats: Accurate 1, Indirect, Feature: Creates Environmental water, Feature: Doesn't require environmental Water, Flaws: Distracting, Full-round Action, Linked to Fatigue pr 10, Ranged, Flaws: Distracting, Full-Round Action. Feat: Accurate 1, Indirect, Sedation.
Draw out the Water - {Marika performs a complicated gesture requiring her full attention up until the time she unleashes the attack. Water issues forth from the designated target eliciting pain. The free floating globules of water are now available for her bending.} [+6 to hit, target gets 1 Fortitude save against Damage DC 25, Fatigue DC 20, this effect bypasses barriers. Her Defense drops from 21 to 13 until the start of next round.]

--Feature: Doesn’t require Gestures (1)
--Elongation 2(Extra:Projection, Limit:Arms only) (3)
--Additional limbs: Arm pr 2 (2)
--Enhanced Strength 18 (18)
--Feat: Withstand Damage, Improved Grab, Chokehold, (3)
Water Cloak{Marika has only to will an exoskeleton of water and tentacles to form around her increasing her strength, reach, and the prehensile tentacles function as arms to her thoughts.} [Strength becomes 26 (+8 ), She has a total of 4 arms(two extra from the sides, Grapple of +6(melee)+8(str)+3(Elongate)+2(Additional Limbs)=+19, She can trade off Defense for Toughness up to -5/+5. She has a reach of 25 feet]

Drawback:

Abilities 12+ Saves 16+ Skills 12 + Feats 17 + Combat 18 + Powers 47 – Drawbacks 2 = 120

Examples from the show that I drew these powers from.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udqiw7bgaDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCZtuYxY ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XmyS4tp ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69uUBIjK ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZg30vnk ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMgAGAlrCng&NR=1

Edit 7/7/11 - Change references of Luna to Tsukuyomi. A more appropriate diety in this setting.
Edit 7/30/11 - rearranged points to add skate ability, and a couple more options on the PL 8 array, then twice more to correct misspellings and add edit note.
Last edited by flynnarrel on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Post by kirinke »

Corin wrote:Alright, looks good so far, PM'd you guys with a few minor issues.

And yes recruitment is still open until the 12th (due to personal schedule I won't be able to close it any quicker), just submit your character here with backstory, PL 4, and PL 8 builds.

@Kirinke, Concept approved, though I'd like to see her get closer to her PL 8 defensive caps. An explanation of the Comprehend Languages & Animals power would also be appreciated.

@Flynnarel, Looks good PL 8 build and Backstory please.
No problem, I'll work on the pl 8 build. As far as the comprehend is concerned, my idea is that she is actually part kami, maybe even the daughter of a powerful kami, so her comprehend languages is a reflection of her innate understanding of the spirit, any spirit human or otherwise.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Crazyivan777 »

Here's my stab at the PL 4 build:

Two Hands
ABILITIES
STR: 10 (+0)
DEX: 12 (+1)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 16 (+3)
CHA: 12 (+1)

COMBAT
Attack 3 (Melee 3, Ranged 3) [Unarmed +0 (Bruise)]
Defense 3 (2 flat-footed)
Initiative 1

SAVES
Toughness 1 (1 flat-footed)
Fortitude 1
Reflex 1
Will 3

SKILLS
Acrobatics 4 (+5)
Bluff (+1)
Climb 4 (+4)
Concentration (+3)
Craft
-Chemical 4 (+5)
Diplomacy (+1)
Disguise (+1)
Escape Artist (+1)
Gather Info (+1)
Handle Animal (+1)
Intimidate (+1)
Knowledge
-Life Sciences 4 (+5)
Medicine 6 (+9)
Notice (+3)
Search (+1)
Sense Motive 6 (+9)
Stealth (+1)
Survival (+3)
Swim (+0)

FEATS
Assessment
Chokehold
Improved Critical (1)
Improved Grapple
Stunning Attack
Zen Strike

POWERS
Life Control 4 (Limitation: Range: Touch)
Immunity (Disease, Life powers) 3
Regeneration (Recovery Bonus) 4

(The life control is simply a knowledge of the energy flow of living things, as well as a strong knowledge of pressure points and nerve / muscle targets. Advanced atemi techniques, essentially. Immunity to disease and life powers is something that Two Hands has developed from working with the ill her entire life, ditto the regeneration, which is enhanced by her atemi training).

Basic Background: Two Hands was a village girl in a village famous for its healer, the great Oak Heart. Oak worked night and day helping anyone who would come to him, and only took pay when it could be easily afforded. Unfortunately, Oak Heart was old, and needed an extra pair of hands. In this case, he took in a local village girl, and in his usual busy way only referred to her as his two extra hands, which quickly became shortened to Two Hands.
Two Hands grew up learning many of Oak Heart's techniques to help the sick, and all would've been well were it not for the appearance of a dark warlord (name to be determined for whatever nefarious plot purposes the GM might have) who demanded treatment from Oak Heart. Two Hands looked on in amazement as Oak Heart refused him. From the growled discussion, it sounded like Oak Heart and the warlord had met each other before, and knew each other quite well. Finally, the warlord threatened the lives of everyone in the village, and, with an amount of martial ability that Two Hands had never seen before, Oak Heart attacked him.
Unfortunately, the skills were now housed in an old man, and Oak Heart was cut down after a furious battle. The warlord, still horribly wounded, destroyed the village in a rage, while Two Hands hid in Oak Heart's hospital.
Vowing vengeance, Two Hands ran from the village to find someone to teach her the fighting style Oak Heart had demonstrated, and has begun to mimic what she'd seen him do.