The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Jedi Matt
Bystander
Bystander

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by Jedi Matt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:27 am

Was linked to this a few days back. Enjoyed reading the bios. They were great. Just wanted to say a few things :)
I am a long time member of Spacebattles so I am happy to be here, and hope to be of some input.

So here goes.

Where is Adam Warlock? Thanos? These are two extremely powerful and deep, interesting characters (I think)

Another thing. Isnt Bruce Banner included in "One of the Smartest Guys in the world" arguement? He's supposed to be a genius of some sort, just not as directed at Doom, Lex, Reed, Stark, Bats, T"challa and others.

Also. I hate the Sentry and Super Boy Prime, but wouldn't it be wise to put them above Superman (normally) and Thor?
The Sentry not as much. But Super Boy Prime should be the Kind of Threat Thor/WW/Marvel/Supes/Silver Surfer team up to defeat.

And also, I would love to see something on Hercules (Marvels) and not something involving him and rape.

Also Dr. Strange, Genis Vel (Crazy Marv) and Captain Comet!

:D

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Thank you for the kind remarks Master Matt; I've actually been thinking of posting here again, but I can't promise that anything will come of it or that I'll manage to address your queries even if something does - I confess that my Muse doesn't always bring me what I expect, bless her metaphorical substance. :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Jedi Matt
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Jedi Matt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:01 pm

No problem! Hope this revives. It was an enjoyable thread to read. I loved it! If you need any ideas how some characters react to one another I'd love to help. I am a huge comic fan. And by huge I mean.. HUGE!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Well I would certainly be interested in hearing your ideas for any characters who happen to catch your attention! :D

I've actually been considering making an attempt to type-up some ideas for the oft-neglected Rogues Galleries of Superheroes other than Batman, Superman or Spider-Man (such as the likes of Wonder Woman or Aquaman's personal headaches - major or minor - who tend to be either dismissed as hopelessly lacking in potential or just plain non-existent when they're discussed by hardened comic fans), but have never quite got around to producing anything.

I'll have to give that some thought, I think, should I be able to spare any braincells.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Jedi Matt wrote:Where is Adam Warlock? Thanos? These are two extremely powerful and deep, interesting characters (I think)
I'll see what I can do.
Jedi Matt wrote:Another thing. Isnt Bruce Banner included in "One of the Smartest Guys in the world" arguement? He's supposed to be a genius of some sort, just not as directed at Doom, Lex, Reed, Stark, Bats, T"challa and others.
Bruce Banner is one of those interesting cases where being one of the smartest men in the world doesn't mean you're a polymath. In the case of Bruce Banner, he's just off the charts because he's an incredible mathematical and theoretical genius but his area of expertise is rather directly centered on radiation (particularly Gamma and all its myriad affects on D.N.A).

So, Reed Richards would turn to Bruce for advice on Radiation but Bruce isn't really the 'construct giant robots' type.
Jedi Matt wrote: Also. I hate the Sentry and Super Boy Prime, but wouldn't it be wise to put them above Superman (normally) and Thor?
The Sentry not as much. But Super Boy Prime should be the Kind of Threat Thor/WW/Marvel/Supes/Silver Surfer team up to defeat.
I intend to do a Sentry write-up as well, though it'll be slightly different from canon. The short version is that in the Combined Universe, Robbie is a reality-warper as opposed to a Flying brick (sort of like the Plutonian). So he's not really THAT strong, it's just he's incorporating elements of his favorite heroes so he APPEARS strong.

Unfortunately, there's the whole, "Deeply Psychologically disturbed" and "Psychopath" (note - not schizophrenic) element.

Superboy Prime comes from a universe with different physics so it's debatable what he can do. Amusingly, this means he suffers from the same vulnerability to magic as Silver Age superman which in the Combined Universe means he's been smacked down much more often than he was in the original DCU timeline.

But yes, technically, this means he's one of the few beings stronger than Superman and Thor. There are a group of them, with "strongest man in the universe" being something of a title as opposed to a literal fact.

Besides, the Hulk is stronger than both under certain circumstances.
Jedi Matt wrote:And also, I would love to see something on Hercules (Marvels) and not something involving him and rape.

Also Dr. Strange, Genis Vel (Crazy Marv) and Captain Comet!

As Hercules said to Wonder Woman, the story about him and Hippolyta went through some revisions via myth and Hippie is happy to correct the assumption.

Jedi Matt
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Jedi Matt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Bullseye would be a good Batman villain. Someone who is good enough to get wins in and someone who can manage to get away. He might have worked for the Joker at one point but just like his comment to Osborn he knows the joker is wacko, and would prefer to be without him. He has a rilvary with Deadshot, and the two of them might have teamed up against DD and the Bat.

Now someone like Juggernaut would be a good Captain Marvel/Wonder Woman/Marvel Family Villian. Cyttorak is someone who the Wizard Shazam would not like. What with Cytorraks love in getting involved in the Worlds Affairs and Juggy being a bully Billy isn't going to like it one bit. Though of course anything between Juggy and Lobo might also be interesting.

Blackheart should also be pretty powerful among the Hell Lords, he and Daimon Hellstrom aren't overmatched vs Neron or Mephesto.

Also I wonder how the GLC would deal with the Heralds. How would they deal with Quasar?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:00 pm

The Sentry

Robert "Bob" Reynolds is something of an enigma wrapped in a mystery. The speculation about what exactly Robert is has been heatedly debated since his first appearance and hasn't died down since his "death."

Theories range from the Sentry being a 5th dimensional Imp like the Impossible Man or Mister Mxyzptlk to being a member of the Eternals species. Norman Osbourne believed the Sentry to be the Biblical Angel of Death, either the Spectre or Eclipso. The answer in the Combined Marvel-DCU universe which is most likely is Robert is actually a supercharged mutant.

Robert was originally a "latent" mutant whose abilities to manipulate and warp reality were dormant due to a series of childhood illnesses. The pain from being unable to express his genetic destiny, as Magneto would put it, eventually caused Robert to resort to drugs in order to dull it. During one occasion, he broke into a professor's laboratory where he was attempting to unlock the secrets of Captain America's super soldier serum.

These sorts of experiments, of course, have been conducted for generations since WW2. In this case, the professor had rather stupidly increased the potency of the original formula several thousand percent, intending to dilute it until it stopped killing its animal subjects.

When ingested by Robbie, it triggered his Mutant D.N.A and warped it so he became one of the single most powerful mutants on the planet. As Professor Xavier would later call the most powerful mutants, he became an "Omega-class" mutant (a appellation rather randomly tossed around these days).

Robbie proceeded then to start warping reality so he had powers similar to Superman, Captain Marvel, and a number of other "caped" figures. Robert proceeded to create his own rogue's gallery, centering around a nonsensically powered boogeyman called The Void.. Robert also created his own Fortress of Solitude, empowered his own sidekick, mesmerized his childhood sweetheart, and had a series of "wacky" adventures against a French-hating militiaman called The General.

Honestly, Robert was never the beloved hero he believed himself to be. He was never lovers with Crystal, Rogue, or any number of other heroines nor was he Superman's best pal or Reed Richard's science-buddy. He was a fairly minor hero, at best, who mostly fought his own rogue's gallery. The Sentry, however, can and does use his psychic abilities to brainwash people into thinking they were best friends or lovers in order to ingratiate himself with people.

The problem is that Robert's latent mutancy and addiction weren't his only physical or psychological problem. If he was simply a cosmically powered super-fanboy, he might even be a great hero. No, the problem is that Robert was actually a full blown psychopath (which he downgraded to schizophrenia in conversations). The Void hid all of his darker impulses and it rapidly grew to consume him, transforming him into a full-fledged villain.

Ultimately, despite his killing of Carnage and sacrifice, the Sentry was more a villain than a hero. Robert was a highly selfish man who was lustful after superheroines and used his "hidden past" from them to seduce them. He was an adulterer, fundamentally weak, and prone to blaming his unhappy life on the Void. The truth was, he was just an unpleasant being who posed a greater threat to the Earth than most superbeings.

In his own way, he was a good lesson for the "dangers" of glamorizing the lifestyle of superheroism without wanting the responsibility.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Charles, fools MUST think alike, since you captured my own preferred take on the Sentry. My fantasy was somehow seizing editorial control of Marvel and using the Sentry's power to warps minds/reality to explain all the nonsense which had been going down in the MU the past few years. In my scenario, I would have rectified the whole Avengers Disassembled character assasination of Wanda, One More (Lousy) Day, and so on-basically a fan's wishlist.

The worst part of Marvel finally killing this guy off was editorial insisting on that one shot special where everybody had to get up and eulogize what an amazing hero Sentry was, how he was everyone's best friend, lover, and mentor, etc.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:16 pm

A short list of notable events in my game from the last ten years of in-universe time

Annihilation Wave: Annihilus' attack on the positive matter universe was largely limited to one galaxy in Sector 616. This means it fell to Hal Jordan and the rest of the Earthlings to smack it down. Still, the attack was unprecedented in scale and many people wonder if Annihilus was not empowered by some other force to achieve his goals.

This is actually true, as was drawing on the power of Darkseid without his knowledge. Eighty-five billion Skrulls and Kree were saved during the war due to the efforts of the Green Lantern Corps, which roughly cut the cost of the battle in half. The war still still left a sour taste in the mouth of many Green Lanterns who felt that the conflict would have been ended sooner had they had the ability to kill.

The Guardians refusal to send reinforcements to assist Earth's Green Lanterns was also seen as a sign of weakness. Still, the Kree and Skrull Empires both surprisingly came from the encounter with far better views of humanity as well as the Green Lantern Corps.

Avengers Disassembled: Cthon, having been preying on the Scarlet Witch's mind for some time, manipulated her like a puppet to attempt to destroy the Avengers. The Avengers, years later, would feel extremely remorseful for the realization they had missed their "very own Parallax." The fact that Wanda didn't have the power to do what she was reported doing should have tipped them off it was the Elder God at work, anyway.

Sadly, Doctor Fate wouldn't be able to confirm Cthon's presence until after the Decimation.

Battle for Bludhaven: The Chemo-Entity was prevented from falling completely due to the intervention of Iron Man's new Avengers initiative. Lex Luthor would NOT forget this. Bludhaven still has a large disaster zone area but, actually, the city is benefiting from the influx of government attention to it. Unlike in our world, FEMA does its job well.

Black Lantern Saga: An event even more devastating given the staggering number of deceased friends and relatives in the Marvel Universe.

Thanks to the assistance of Spiderman, who had already defeated the OBSCENE caricatures of his Aunt and Uncle through the power of his emotions, Captain Boomerrang Junior was freed from Nekron's influence (which had a mind-control element the emotionally conflicted young man couldn't resist). Likewise, Firestorm was prevented from killing Gehenna by the timely intervention of Captain America.

Yes, in the Combined Universe the "Big Damn Heroes" have the edge. Doctor Doom received a ring of greed, Captain America a ring of hope, the Punisher received a ring of rage, Spiderman a ring of willpower, and Moon Knight a ring of fear. Mary Jane Watson Parker also joined in the fight against Nekron, gaining the brief power of Star Saphire.

Spiderman said she had the tamest costume there and it was STILL outrageously hot.

Brand New Day: Spiderman, unable to get the answers he needed from Marvel's heroes, went instead to the Justice League. Of all people, Kid Eternity allowed him to speak with Uncle Ben. Making peace with Aunt May and accepting responsibility that he was indirectly responsible for her death but that she was still proud of him, Spiderman and Mary Jane rejected his deal.

Mephisto responded by removing Spiderman and Mary Jane's memory of their marriage, doing so out of sheer spite even though he is aware this will have consequences for him. Spiderman will eventually find his way back to Mary Jane despite everything, we know.

Ditto her.

Likewise, Mephisto will pay a tremendous cosmological cost for this. So speaks...THE SPECTER.

Cancerverse: A reality totally corrupted by the power of Shuma-Gortath and other "Great Old Ones" was something that the Green Lantern Corps was as unprepared for as anyone else. Hal Jordan's stubborn refusal to kill even in the face of this horror caused many a rift between them.

Likewise, the "corrupted" versions of the Green Lantern Corps proved very formidable. In the end, the destruction of the Cancerverse universe happened in spite of many DC heroes efforts. Nevertheless, Richard Ryder and a number of heroes survived who normally wouldn't have.

Thanos is BELIEVED to have been killed but, in fact, was rescued by Nekron. Hilariously, Death finally sat down and talked with Thanos and pointed out the fact that she didn't NEED anyone to massacre people in her name and that "Mistress Death" was largely a product of his own delusions.

Thanos attempted to kill her then, one of the most ridiculously one sided battles in history. Death, of course, just blocked his attack with her cute umbrella.

Chaos War: Mikaboshi, feeding on the absence Darkseid's death created in the cosmos, absorbed all of the ambient evil leftover from the Final Crisis event. This elevated him from being a "regular" god to being an Elder God, a being equivalent to something like Eternity, Cthon, or the Living Tribunal.

Wonder Woman, Zauriel, Captain Marvel, Doctor Fate, and a number of other superheroes empowered by deities joined Hercules' "God squad" to defeat this entity before it could threaten the Multiverse. In this universe, with Wonder Woman's help, Athena was spared Mikaboshi's corruption and so were numerous other pantheons.

In this universe, Morpheus (II) restored many of the deceased deities after their destruction while the Source destroyed the remaining evil.

Civil War: A much lower-key event in this universe. The Justice League of America's refusal to cooperate with the government lead to Cadmus being briefly restructured to attack them in a manner similar to the Justice League Unlimited cartoon. The Registration Act, however, was ironically a fairly innocuous bill which was subverted by Anti-Meta forces in the government (specifically the forces behind Weapon-X and Checkmate).

The events of Max Lord's clone, OMAC, the attack on Paradise Island, and other horrors were traced squarely back to this event. Iron Man, in this universe, actually joined the cause explicitly for the purposes of running interference. It was his hope by working with the government that he would be able to dismantle these groups. Unfortunately, he hadn't counted on one of his major supporters being a Skrull (in this case, the Hank Pym Skrull created a "Thor-Android" from the remnants of Amazo and then programmed it to try and murder heroes in order to drive a wedge between them).

While it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, in truth Reed Richards and Tony Stark managed to have large numbers of Weapon-X and its supporters arrested in the aftermath of the Civil War event. They also set guidelines and precedents for how vigilantes were allowed to operate. They also managed to "deputize" virtually every superhero in the United States who wasn't a member of the Justice League or Avengers.

The staggering irony was that the events of Avengers Disassembled had left Captain America and Iron Man at loggerheads when they normally would have been able to solve the problem without difficulty. Captain America could only see the human rights violations and Iron Man could only see the need to fix the government when normally, both would have cooperated to do both.

In this universe, it was not the Negative Zone where the prison was constructed but the Phantom Zone. It worked out about as well (Annihilus still attacked the Positive Matter Universe, belying his claim that the Positive Matter Universe was "invading" his).

Dark Reign: While blocked from becoming President of the United States, Lex Luthor had funded countless expeditions to warp the fabric of the American dream. One of these included a almost complete white-washing of Norman Osbourne's record and the installation of him as Assistant Director of SHIELD (in charge of North America). This lead to widespread protests and Norman was never as popular as he appeared to be, roughly coming across as a Lex Luthor-influenced crony from the beginning. What little political capital Luthor had left after the event was removed with Norman's final breakdown.

The Justice League of America managed to avoid the worst of it due to the fact that the actual Max Lord, rescued by the Runaways of all people, was able to reinstate their international charter. While Director Osbourne did his absolute best to impede their efforts in the United States, he was unable to do anything about their popularity. The Question, Barbara Gordon, the Birds of Prey, Hawkeye, the Outsiders, Daredevil, Manhunter, and Moon Knight formed an oddball alliance meant to undermine his regime whenever possible and funnel people away from his Thunderbolts project. Likewise, the team managed to gather enough evidence to not only remove Norman Osbourne from power but permanently destroy his financial empire.

While Norman was still able to attack New Asgard in Oklahoma, he was forced to do so with a collection of Doctor Doom-constructed robots, Thunderbolts crooks, Human Decoy Model Droids, and mercenaries he'd hired during his tenure as Director. In short, the attack was a complete disaster and actually managed to capture a substantial population of North America's supercriminal population in one go.

Fifty-Two: Black Adam would have been stopped much earlier if not for the events in Asgard and the Disassembling of the Avengers. The population of Biayala was not completely annihilated, however, and its survivors were annexed by Doctor Doom along with the former territories of Slorenia (destroyed by Ultron) and Vlatava (actually prevented from being destroyed by the Specter by Captain Universe Spiderman).

This massive push that tripled the size of Latveria and made it as large as present day Romania was assisted, by Norman Osbourne and the Max Lord clone. The Max Lord clone erroneously believed he could control Doctor Doom only to discover that the ruler of the country was possessed of unconquerable willpower. Black Adam was briefly sheltered by Doctor Doom afterward, later imprisoned by the Doctor who attempted to steal his Shazam-granted powers.

The Question actually made it to K'un-L'un with the assistance of Rene Montoya and Danny Rand. With the assistance of the Taoist immortals and herablists there, Vic Sage survived his lung cancer and is now on a "ten year regime" of kung fu and spiritual cleansing to cure it. Rene and Danny have since teamed up on several occasions.

Final Crisis: Impersonating the Source, Darkseid murders the vast majority of not only the New Gods pantheon but his own pantheon as well. This allows him to absorb their power and transform himself into an almost limitlessly powerful God-like entity. Ironically, it was briefly breaking Scott Free's faith in the Source (by claiming the Anti-Life Equation was the other half of of God) which gave Darkseid the power to transcend his previous self.

This is what lead to Darkseid controlling virtually everyone using his powers, including Mary marvel who he took an especial delight in puppeteering to appear as a murderer. Poor Orion merely killed a "shell" of Darkseid as the true spirit of the evil God ascended to become a living embodiment of the Anti-Life Equation. Thankfully, Superman managed to utterly destroy Darkseid and scattered his essence forever.

As a show of his ever-lasting love, the TRUE Source then re-birthed Apokolips and New Genesis as one world. Darkseid, himself, was dead for a time.

House of M: The aftermath of de-powering 90% of mutants in North America was much less catastrophic. There are still thousands of mutants left in the world, though the X-men are still understandably alarmed by the whole thing and feel like their charter was yanked out from under them.

Ironically, Superman believes Scott Summers has allowed Emma Frost and events like it to taint his perspective on events. With the help of Doctor Fate and several other extra magicians, limited fixes for Mutants have been done, though not the total reversal of the devastation.

The Terror-Smith, a wannabe supervillain from the DCU's forgettable Bloodlines event, actually became one of the more powerful supervillains in the world with the realization he could restore lost Mutant abilities. He's since become a tool of Apocalypse, Exodus, and several other figures as he fails to realize able to 'create' superpowered beings doesn't mean he can control them.

New Krypton: With the assistance of Captain America and Iron Man, Superman was able to prevent General Lane's destruction of New Krypton. Likewise, Kal-El was able to expose the corrupt Zod administration as the warmongering psychos they were.

As a result, a peace treaty was negotiated between the Kryptonian Science Council and the people of planet Earth. The peace treaty has, surprisingly, managed to survive the directorship of Norman Osbourne (who had been privately funding Sam Lane's crusade) and the resulting political fallout. Lois Lane, through her reporting skills, was also able to confirm that the Sam Lane in question was in fact a Skrull impostor along with her sister. Both have since been recovered intact and sane.

New Krypton is still largely isolationist but has begun making tentative diplomatic overtures to Doomworld (Counter Earth) and the Inhumans. The Inhumans, especially, give the Kryptonians cause to believe humanity may evolve into a race worthy of attention.

Reign in Hell: A civil war is fought between Blaze, Satanus, Mephisto, Ahriman (also known as the "First of the Fallen"), Neron, Blackheart. Daimon Hellstrom and several other figures over who exactly would rule over the "The Damned." Neron and Satanus were taken completely out of the game, Trigon abstained from the conflict due to exhaustion, and Mephisto considered the entire thing ridiculous.

In the words of Mephisto: "Imbeciles. We're all evil, evil to our very core. Who cares who wears the Crown of Liars? No man who wears it can ever trust the people beneath him and no man who attempts to command Mephisto will find his orders obeyed without a dagger lurking behind his back. We are all the terrible lurking fear behind the nightmares of mortals and such evil will always eat itself. It's what makes life interesting."

In the end, the winner of the contest proved to be Marduk Kurios restored "order" to Hell by signing a treaty with the various major players of hell. For the time being, he is now known as Satan and is the informal King of Hell. In truth, this is a fairly meaningless distinction as Mephisto pointed out and Marduk cares as little about it as his "brother." Blaze benefited slightly from this war but her victory brought her gains well short of her intentions.

It should be noted this event was tied to Ghost Rider defeating an incarnation of Lucifer's abandoned power. Lucifer, himself, was last seen penning a comic book of questionable accuracy about his post-resigning adventures. Michael, of all people, resents his depiction therein.

Reign of Superman: The presence of the Avengers lead to disruptions in Mongol's plan and literally millions of lives being saved in Coast City due to the successful evacuation of 90% of the population. Hal Jordan's resulting breakdown was questionable to the very beginning, mostly due to the loss of several childhood friends as opposed to the entirety of the people.

Other:

* Almost nothing in Countdown actually occurred. I'm serious. I couldn't find a single way to salvage it.

* Genosha actually was largely saved by Superman and the Martian Manhunter being in the area at the time, which allowed other heroes to spare the nation. Hundreds of thousands of people still died in the conflaguration, however, resulting in Magneto declaring the city of Hammer Bay to be a grave site before abdicating his throne.

* Prometheus' plan was utterly thwarted thanks to the efforts of the Avengers. Hal Jordan and company's "Cry for Justice" plan thus ended up being a gigantic embarrassment for the heroes as opposed to a monstrosity. Star City Central Park still ended up being possessed by the Court of trees, however.

Am I needlessly rewriting stuff? Yes. Am I repentant? No.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 am, edited 8 times in total.

Jedi Matt
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Jedi Matt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:26 pm

Anything on the Cancerverse or The Chaos War?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:19 pm

Edited.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:20 pm

greycrusader wrote:Charles, fools MUST think alike, since you captured my own preferred take on the Sentry. My fantasy was somehow seizing editorial control of Marvel and using the Sentry's power to warps minds/reality to explain all the nonsense which had been going down in the MU the past few years. In my scenario, I would have rectified the whole Avengers Disassembled character assasination of Wanda, One More (Lousy) Day, and so on-basically a fan's wishlist.

The worst part of Marvel finally killing this guy off was editorial insisting on that one shot special where everybody had to get up and eulogize what an amazing hero Sentry was, how he was everyone's best friend, lover, and mentor, etc.

All my best.
Thanks, I went with the idea Wanda was possessed by Cthon. The big issue I have with the Sentry is that he has a pretty solid fun concept. A middle aged man finds out that he's a Silver Age superhero. They just took it in a ridiculously dark direction.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:48 am

Superboy Prime

The Clark Kent of Earth-Prime, a planet almost identical to our own, was one of the few survivors of the original Crisis on Infinite Earths. Eventually, the loneliness of his isolation in the "Paradise Dimension" that he and a few others dwelt in. Mentally manipulated by Alexander Luthor II, Superboy Prime accidentally killed a number of heroes before instigating a genocidal war between the Rann and Thanagarians. After this occurred, he murdered the Superman of Earth-2 and participated in numerous other atrocities.

Clark eventually became a member of the Sinestro Corps, believing their power would eventually allow him to go home. For a brief time, he used his abilities to travel across multiple universes in a series events that various heroes opposed him in. Clark Kent's memories of these events are fuzzy since he was being manipulated one of the 52 variations on the Monitor (a mutant member of the Watcher race). Eventually, due to the efforts of the Time Trapper, Superboy Prime was transported back to a reborn Earth Prime where he used his powers to primarily satisfy his own vanity.

When last seen, Superboy Prime was being fed on by a Black Lantern assuming the form of his deceased girlfriend. While it's unlikely she possesses the power to kill Superboy Prime, it's entirely likely she'll be able to feed on his immeasurable angst for years to come. When and if Superboy Prime abandons this blissful delusion, he may become a threat to the universe once more.

It should be noted that Superboy Prime hails from a Earth-Prime where the laws of physics are subtly different from our own and the mainstream DCU. Due to a "Time-Wibbly-Wobbly Thing" Superboy Prime carries these laws of physics around with him and can use them to manipulate the world around him. This means that Superboy Prime is actually a PL X entity that thinks he's a PL 20 one.

Superboy Prime has nearly unlimited strength and with the expenditure of a Power Point can move things that are beyond the scope of normal M&M rules. These include moons, planets, and the weight of solar systems. Superboy Prime is capable of moving faster than the speed of light and can travel at cosmic speeds as well as through time. Superboy Prime is also capable of altering reality if manipulated into believing its possible as Alexander Luthor created the flimsy justification of "Superboy punching time." Superboy Prime has only a few weaknesses, including magic and red sunlight. Even then, Superboy Prime's vulnerability to red sunlight is purely psycho-somatic and he's traveled through stars without dying.

As for magic, Superboy Prime is vulnerable only in the context of believing he's vulnerable. Attempts to kill Superboy Prime with magic have failed due to his titanic ego. Bluntly, only a PL X entity can actually "kill" Superboy Prime. Superboy Prime, despite his many atrocities, wants to live and thus avoids ticking off beings capable of destroying him like the Anti-Monitor or Galactus. Were Doctor Strange to will him out of existence, for example, this would merely transport him into another dimension. In fact, not even dumping Superboy Prime into a black hole with magic would kill him because his reality's rules would protect him.

Ironically, Superboy Prime's greatest vulnerability is his gross sense of self-esteem. Much like the Sentry, Superboy Prime's powers is linked to his ego. While it is theoretically impossible to beat Superboy Prime to death, Superboy Prime having defeated both Thor and the Siilver Surfer in single combat, Spiderman of all people could actually defeat Superboy Prime by taunting him. His strength ebbs when one points out what a psychopathic loser he is and the resulting weakening of his ego weakens his strength accordingly. This gives player characters an opportunity to defeat Superboy Prime accordingly.

To finally and completely destroy Superboy Prime, a person would actually have to weaken him to the point of being suicidal, in which case a single bullet to the head could kill him.

It's interesting to speculate what an encounter between Superboy Prime and the Sentry would be. It's quite possible that instead of being the alternate to Kal-El of Krypton, Superboy Prime is actually the alternate of Robert Renyolds. Superboy Prime would violently disagree, pointing out AT LENGTH, he's not remotely as much of a loser as Robert.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:25 am

The Incredible Hercules

"Why do you persist in talking in old-timey Shakespeare talk?! We're from Greece! From two thousand years before Shakespeare! IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!"
-Hercules to Hercules in Hades.

Everyone knows Hercules, he's one of the single most famous superheroes of all time. As Hercules himself points out, he's not always been the best fellow in the world. Hercules in the past was prone to violent rages, warmongering, and generally behaving as a gigantic jerkass. He would, however, like to point out that he was not involved in any rapine against the Amazons of Themyscira and his relationship with them was completely consensual.

To paraphrase a conversation that he had with Amadeus Cho:

"So, you freely admit to being involved in a number of murders, including of innocent people but rape is too far?"
"Yes, that's what I'm saying."
"Oddly, I'm cool with that."

To be fair, Hercules may be a bit too harsh on himself for this. Hera has hated Hercules since the beginning and manipulated his "rages" several times to her own effect. It's questionable how many of the crimes Hercules has been accused of doing are actually his fault. In a surprising display of maturity, Hercules doesn't particularly care and insists on atoning for these crimes anyway.

As the champion of the Olympian pantheon in the same respect that Thor is the champion of Asgard, Hercules was sent down to the planet Earth in order to involve himself in the various superpowered goings on that began during the later part of the 20th century. Hercules antics deprived the Greek Pantheon of much in the way of worship due to the fact that Hercules didn't abstain from alcohol, sex, or wild parties which would put the entire music industry to shame. People who dismissed Hercules as a buffoon, however, miss that Hercules is a surprisingly deep soul.

Effectively, Hercules is aware of his tremendous personality flaws and is embarrassed by them as opposed to reveling in them. It is his desire to help as many people as possible but he's often crippled by the fact that he doesn't know how best to do this. The addition of Amadeus Cho to his life has strengthened Hercules tremendously, giving him the guidance of someone possessing the wisdom of Athena (and more in some cases). Without Amadeus, it's quite likely Hercules would have failed at many of the tasks he's set himself out to do.

The Incredible Hercules has a deep friendship with Amaedeus Cho, Captain America, Namor, Thor, the Eternal Gilgamesh, Namorita, Angel, the Incredible Hulk, and a number of other heroes. Perhaps his oddest friendship is with Captain Marvel, who often serves as a substitute Amadeus Cho whenever Hercules comes to visit Fawcett City. Hercules has this to say about the Big Red Cheese: "I hereby and absolutely swear by Zeus, Gaia, and my mortal mother I will NEVER come onto his sister again. Comely wench that she may be."

The irony that Captain Marvel managed to beat Hercules using strength that COMES from Hercules is not lost on Hercules, though he's still not sure how it works. Hercules does in fact know Wonder Woman and the two have had some team ups in the past. Oddly, Hercules has never made a pass at her, mostly focusing his attention on her mother. Superman, roughly, has stated that Hercules is a well-meaning soul but something of the red headed stepchild of the superhero universe.

Hercules possesses strength equivalent to Captain Marvel, unsurprisingly, and an equal invulnerability. Despite the fact he cannot fly or wield lightning or anything, it should be noted that Hercules is still a god. Unlike the Asgardians whose mortality is part of their nature, Hercules really can't be killed. He's almost certainly guaranteed a resurrection by his Uncle and could fight his way out of Hades anyway.

Likewise, he possesses the ability to hear any prayer directed towards him by a sincere believer. New Mutant Magma, for example, was stunned to discover that Hercules (despite his demeanor) had heard every one of her prayers growing up. Likewise, she was shocked to see Hercules goes out of his way to try and make the prayers of his worshipers come true.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:04 am

Galactus

"Galactus must feed!"

Perhaps the most famous cosmic being in the universe, Galactus is an energy being who takes the form of a giant of whatever species is viewing him. The sole survivor of the previous universe destroyed to create the energy necessary for the Big Bang (a cycle that is implied to have been going on for infinity), Galactus is one of the most singularly powerful organisms in the Multiverse. Indeed, like most deities, all incarnations of Galactus across the Multiverse are in-fact shades of him. Those who speculate on Galactus having some link to the universe believe he is, in fact, actually a universal constant like Death or Infinity. If this is the case, it may be that Galactus is the universe's embodiment of entropy.

The phrase, 'above good and evil' is bandied around a lot but rarely accurate. Usually, the claimant is some form of psychopath or another. Galactus, perhaps, has a semi-decent claim to the title. He has no malice in his actions, even if they result in the deaths of billions. Galactus will gladly feast upon worlds with no sentients if they are able to satisfy his hunger and was happy to make accommodations that temporarily or permanently removed his hunger (like when he was able to stave it off for several years by devouring the Omega-class mutant Hyperstorm).

Galactus, also, has been known to protect the universe from harm and threats that imperil it. Detractors would simply argue this is just an example of Galactus' self-interest, this is correct. Galactus's foremost concern is Galactus and at the end of the day, he is a profoundly self-centered being who will protect his own survival above all other things. In this respect, yes, he is decidedly evil. Galactus does possess a code of honor, however, that he is happy to abide by so long as his own existence is not imperiled. This code means he can be persuaded to do things that benefit mortals or similarly powerful cosmic beings. Likewise, he can be persuaded to assist against any universal threats which might endanger his existence like Thanos, Magnus, Nekron, or Parallax.

The Guardians of the Universe have a somewhat questionable policy regarding Galactus. Simply put, it is, do not engage him directly. Unlike the Fantastic Four, previous attempts to thwart Galactus have failed miserably and similar races to the Guardians have been annihilated completely.

Hal Jordan and other Green Lanterns have ignored these orders on occasion, which the Guardians have secretly been happy about. Sadly, were they not to order the Green Lanterns Corps to avoid engaging him, Galactus would simply destroy Oa and there would be little they could do to stop him. Green Lanterns, instead, are encouraged to lead his heralds away from worlds and evacuate the populous whenever possible. The Guardians, themselves, have reseeded many of the worlds he's destroyed with new life. Galactus approves, of course. This means he will have future food sources and that he doesn't have to rely on the chaos of evolution and divine mandate.

Sadly, destroying Galactus is not an option even for beings as powerful as the Guardians. They and others like them have made several attempts to weaken Galactus enough to destroy him via starvation, but the times Galactus has gone dormant or even been destroyed have caused vast damage to the space-time continuum. This damage allows terrifying beings to come forth into the universe that are as terrible as Shuma-Gorath and twice as nasty. Bluntly, Galactus' continued life is necessary for the barriers that preserve mortal life to maintain themselves. This doesn't stop Superman, Green Lantern, and others from trying to oppose Galactus whenever possible.

Galactus as a PL X entity is impossible to defeat in hand-to-hand combat but is defeatable through Maguffins. He is profoundly greedy with his energy and while he could blast away mortals with his eye beams, he doesn't possess "reality warping" powers per say. His PL X status is mostly an effect of his technology and ability to manipulate cosmic energy. Thus, while it is impossible to simply "cherry tap" Galactus to defeat, it is possible to have a huge throw down with him until he decides to simply leave. More likely, this is an opportunity for the Gamemasters to have the PCs make a heroic but ultimately futile stand.

Amusingly, Galactus is unlikely to kill them directly since he considers it akin to swatting flies and is more likely to simply brush the PCs away with his blows until he can destroy their world or achieve his goal in some manner.

Rumors Galactus has a daughter are not only untrue, they're profoundly untrue.