World War Robot (OOC - Canceled)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: World War Robot: Recruiting 4-6 by 8/06/11

Post by RedBstrd »

Dufresne wrote:Sorry Red, I keep trying to cook up something for this guy and I keep drawing blanks. I'll have to withdraw interest from this one... but I'm keeping the pic.
Ok, I hope you find a game that suits your interests and inspires you.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

Lord Fell wrote:re: DiNAh, I don't want to push the religious angle too much... because that would require me to dig out a bible, and find reasons to flip out, and specific passages as justification for erratic behaviour -I'd rather just have DiNAh react somewhat erratically and screw the justification. Also... using Christianity -even an extreme, fundamentalist and flawed interpretation of it, to justify serial-killer-like behaviour, could be offensive to some ATT users, and I'm not interested it stirring that pot.

I will tweak the background a bit, just to emphasize the Merc background.

...and I knew I had another question!
Do robots have citizenship, or do they need an owner?
That background works better. Hopefully the changes won't make the proposed character less fun to play for you.

Robots don't have legal citizenship officially. Most belong to someone. However, they don't need an owner in the minds of most people. Due to their combat abilities and the presumption on the part of most people that any robot they see has an owner, very few people would try to accost them. Military police or port authorities wouldn't ask a robot for papers and would instead ask a suspicious robot about their instructions to be in an area.

Some people try to steal robots, but the technology involved in anti-tamper devices and reprogramming is advanced enough that the combination of muscle and brains needed to capture and make use of a robot is a rarity. Killing a robot isn't illegal unless the robot belongs to someone else, but most people see the value in a robot (for military purposes) and know how dangerous they are, so murders of robots are also rare.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

Weyrd wrote:Issac Pierce
That background looks quite good, but I would want to tweak a few things. First, a state of war exists between Mars and Earth, so civilian interplanetary travel is extremely restricted. It might be a better idea to have Isaac go to Phobos, one of the moons of Mars. Phobos is under Earth Coalition forces control, meaning that travel is unrestricted for EC citizens. Second, we would need to develop a pretext for why your character would be sent away from Earth. My suggestion is that your parents took note of the capture of the Rothchild facility in Geneva, Switzerland, and began fearing for Isaac's safety since he regularly wrote to it (or applied for an internship there) or that his parents worked for the Rothchild Corporation on Earth (probably the best possibility). Sending him to Phobos would then put some distance between them, still give him a future (it's close enough to Mars to offer opportunities for repairing robots), and is not one of the main battlegrounds. EC agents would have been the ones to inform Isaac and Mark of the supposed death of his parents.

Let me know what you think regarding my suggestions. I look forward to seeing the build.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

:idea: I'm going to put up some pictures from Zombie Vs. Robot Adventure. It's a book by the same publisher (IDW) that has a few more authors and artists expanding on Ashley Wood's universe. I'll have to scan them since I don't see them online yet for the most part, so expect that later today.

My goal is to inspire people with character ideas.

Here's a teaser:

In the front is Black Plum, a soldier with big guns. In the back left is Manowar, a cyborg. Behind Black Plum to the right are two troopbots. They're lighter, more agile robots with uniforms on. Troopbots are programmed to have intelligence and emotions almost exactly on par with humans.

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Weyrd »

that his parents worked for the Rothchild Corporation on Earth (probably the best possibility).
That was actually what I was going for (but upon looking back I notice I never came out and said it.)

Have stats written on paper, but probably won't get them type up until tomorrow or thursday.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

James McCray was a wheelman and criminal when the opportunity of a lifetime came along. One of the smaller corporations hoping to compete with the Rothchilds was shipping several prototypes of weapons, robots, and gear by armored transport and a crew James sometimes worked with was going to hijack it. James came on as an opener and muscle. It would have gone off without a hitch too but the techie couldn’t wait to get his mitts on one of the robots.

When the tamper trigger was tripped and the thing started counting down it was a mad scramble for James, who knew a bomb countdown when he heard one. James leapt into a nearby suit and pulled the helmet closed just as the compartment and many of his fellows unlucky enough to get out were engulfed in a firestorm. He got treated to the sound of secondary explosions as ammo started cooking off and weapons were blowing up. An explosion took out the roof and James knew he needed to get out of there. He found all manner of controls at his finger tips and started pushing them. His stomach dropped to his feet as the suit rocketed him up and out of there.

That’s the kind of thing that makes a man want to swear off thieving altogether. Well, mostly. James went to techies he trusted and did some experiments on his own. He mostly figured out how the suit worked and that the fuel was easy enough to buy the ingredients for and mix.

He paid good money to get himself erased from every system that knew of him and started working off world. He joined the Mercs, billing himself as ‘Firebug’ and started using the suit to make himself a ‘hot’ commodity in the help-for-hire world. He’ll do scouting, get messages back and forth and be mid-range aerial support, as long as the price is right.

Firebug

PL 7, 135

Abilities[38pp]: Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 3, Presence 0

Advantages[13pp]: All-out Attack, Improved Initiative, Evasion 2 (limited - in the air), Power Attack, Close Attack 3, Environmental adaption (Earth(native), Luna, Mars) 2, Move By Action, Luck 2, Benefit - cypher

Skills[26pp]: Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 6 (+8), Insight 8 (+11), Perception 8 (+11), Stealth 6 (+9), Vehicle 3(+6), Close Attack- Blades 3(+10), Ranged Attack- Hand Jet array) 1(+4)Technology 6(+6), Expertise: Demolitions 7(+7.),

Powers:
Slash and Burn, Aerial Assault Suit, 55pp, Removable -11pp [44pp]
Asbestos pressure suit:
- Immunity Fire Damage, Suffocation, Environmental Conditions(All) (12)
- Protection 3 (3)
Back Rockets
- Flight 2, one level with Continuous (5)
Hand Jets (array)
Flame Thrower: (Strike (fire), Area Cone, Secondary Attack) pr 7 (21+3 AE)
AE: Napalm Globule: (Weaken Toughness, Affects Objects, Range)(Flaw:Full-Round Action), Accurate, Drawback: Reduced range (to 5'/rank), pr8 + Strike (Heat), Extra: Range; (Flaw:Full-Round Action) pr4, Accurate. INCORRECT, REPLACED WITH

AE: Napalm Globule: (Weaken Toughness, Affects Objects, Range) pr 6 (Flaw: Unreliable 5 uses), Accurate 2, Activation: Move action (-1), link Damage pr 6, Ranged, (Flaw: Unreliable 5 uses), accurate 2, Activation: Move Action (-1)
AE: Fire Stream: (Strike (fire), Ranged, Multiattack), Accurate 2, indirect(can arc over barriers), pr 6
AE: Boost Flight: Flight 5 + "Smoke Screen" Concealment 2 (Visual) (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud, Area- trail) (Gains Complication: no usable hands as both his are pointed down and behind him spewing propelling flame and smoke. Note, the Area Cloud is only from point of departure if he uses this from the beginning of flight)
Helmet Radar (electronic):
-Senses(Radio, radius, ranged, Accurate, Extended), (6)
Suit extras: Equipment 5 (5): Fire extinguisher, Flash Goggles, Radio communicator, Hidden Compartments (as Vehicle), Flashlight,
Additional weapons equipment array:
Fragmentation Grenade (Blast, Area-Burst) pr 6
AE: Carbonite Blade (Strike 2, Str-based, crit 17-20), Weapon Break
AE: Snare Bomb - Ranged, Area-Cloud*, Affliction 6 (hindered and vulnerable/defenseless and immobilized; Extra Condition, Resisted by Dodge, Limited Degree) *Smaller area, but still sticky the round after.

Offense:
Initiative +7
Grab + 9
Flame Thrower (Resist Dodge, DC 17, DC 22 Toughness)
Fire Stream +8 (DC 21, Multiattack, Indirect)
Globule +8 (DC 16 Fort, Weaken, DC 21 Toughness), Move + Standard Action, 60' range
Blade +10 (DC 19 Toughness, 17-20 crit)
Frag (Resist Dodge DC 16, Toughness DC 21 Burst)
Snare (Resist Dodge DC 16, Resist Dodge DC 16 or 13 Affliction, 'Cloud')
Unarmed +7 (DC 17)

Complications:
Fuel. (Handle like batteries for robots or bullets for guns)
Hotheaded (He’s easy to offend and repay’s insults in kind, usually with interest)
Experimental (The suit’s experimental, anything could happen)
Possibly hunted? (James stole the suit and has been paranoid that someone might want it back)

Defenses[14pp]: Dodge 3+4=7, Parry 4+3=7, Fortitude 4+4=8, Toughness 7, Will 3+3=6

Power Points: Abilities 38 + Powers 44 + Advantages 13 + Skills 26 (52 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 135
Last edited by flynnarrel on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

As promised, here are some images from Zombie vs Robot Adventure, which is a post-WWR series (I assume) in which a trans-dimensional gateway introduces zombies and other supernatural forces into the world. This sample is of robots:

Troopbots

Troopbot in action

Troopbot, "naked" without uniform

"Docbot" troopbot

Bramble "zombiekiller" design

Workbots

Forgive the crude cropping of images. You are welcome to edit them to make them cleaner for your own use.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

Here are some more images from Zombie vs Robot Adventure. This selection is of soldiers/agents:

Agent Shasatsu (cyborg hands)

Battlesuit

Black Plum (soldier)

Petr Ursine (assassin)

Manowar (cyborg)

Some of these are a bit more superhero-ish than I would like, so please consider them to be the upper limit of how over-the-top I prefer things to be.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

Note that Troopbots are not Rothchild models. Canonically, they are the product of something akin to Earth Coalition Army Robotics Development. If no one wants to use one (or have one as a sidekick), I may end up doing something else with them, though...

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

flynnarrel wrote:James McCray, "Firebug"

Powers:
- Immovability 2 (2)

Complications:
I’m not sure how you want to handle fuel. (How do you handle batteries for robots or bullets for guns?)
Hotheaded (He’s easy to offend and repay’s insults in kind, usually with interest)
Possibly hunted? (James stole the suit and has been paranoid that someone might want it back)
The background looks good. I'll have to look over the build and math in more detail tonight (I have some obligations in a bit). The one thing I noticed was the Immovability option for Immunity. I'm not a priori opposed to it, but I wanted to know how you saw it functioning in 3e. Did you want it to function as in 2nd edition? Is there a revised version that people have been using here?

For fuel, bullets, and batteries, I would handle them as complications: when you or I want you to run out, you do and then I give you a Hero Point.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

I don't like making too many invitations before the deadline, but I'm going to accept two submissions in advance:

Coyotzin (Heilen de Plume)
Arthur Eld (Homme de Fer)

Welcome to the Great War, both of you. I'll probably end up picking another 4 builds but I haven't even come close to deciding which ones. I want everyone who is working on something to have a chance to submit their characters before I fill too many spots.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

RedBstrd wrote:

Powers:
- Immovability 2 (2)

Complications:
I’m not sure how you want to handle fuel. (How do you handle batteries for robots or bullets for guns?)
The background looks good. I'll have to look over the build and math in more detail tonight (I have some obligations in a bit). The one thing I noticed was the Immovability option for Immunity. I'm not a priori opposed to it, but I wanted to know how you saw it functioning in 3e. Did you want it to function as in 2nd edition? Is there a revised version that people have been using here?

For fuel, bullets, and batteries, I would handle them as complications: when you or I want you to run out, you do and then I give you a Hero Point.

I am heavily grounded in 2E so if I did something wrong with regards to DCA my apologies, I tried to cross reference with other builds from Roll Call.

Immovability was there because it made sense that the suit had some weight and solidity. I can reallocate those points.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

flynnarrel wrote:
I am heavily grounded in 2E so if I did something wrong with regards to DCA my apologies, I tried to cross reference with other builds from Roll Call.

Immovability was there because it made sense that the suit had some weight and solidity. I can reallocate those points.
Since it's a war game, there shouldn't be too much knockback, except when it's completely appropriate. I would suggest taking Immovable as a 1 pt feature for the suit and reallocate the other point. That feature should give +1 mass rank (reducing how far you can be thrown) and +2 Strength for purposes of resisting attempts to move you against your will (such as being grabbed).

Does that sound fair?

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by RedBstrd »

Advantages[13pp]: All-out Attack, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Close Attack 3, Environmental adaption (Earth(native), Luna, Mars) 2, Move By Action, Luck 2, Benefit - cypher

Skills[26pp]: Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 6 (+8), Insight 8 (+11), Perception 8 (+11), Stealth 6 (+9), Vehicle 3(+6), Close Attack- Blades 3(+10), Technology 6(+6), Expertise: Demolitions 8(+8.),

Powers:

Flame Thrower: (Strike (fire), Area Cone, Secondary Attack) pr 7 (21+3 AE)
AE: Napalm Globule: (Weaken Toughness, Affects Objects) pr5 + Strike (Heat) pr5, Extended Touch 5, Accurate
AE: Fire Stream: (Strike (fire), area line (targeted), Multiattack) pr 7
Ok, after looking over the build in more detail, I have the following comments:

1. The character only shows 12 points worth of Advantages. You have 1 pp left over.
2. For the Carbonite Blade, the Damage effect can include Firebug's Str bonus for free ("Mighty" is no longer part of 3e). Firebug has 1 ep to spare.
3. For the Secondary Effect (Damage) on the Flame Thrower, damage does not stack. In other words, if you hit a target with it 3 times (in rounds 1, 2, and 3), the target would take normal damage in rounds 1-3, and then would take the Secondary Effect damage in round 4. There's no problem with the build as constructed; I'm just making the 3e rule clear in case something has changed or you don't find the mechanics worth the cost.
4. For your Fire Stream attack, Targeted Area (Line) is no longer an option in 3e. Multiattack in itself lets characters target a line of opponents, so the area portion should be removed.
5. For the immunities, Immunity to Environmental Conditions (All) is 5 pp, just the same as your list. It would be more brief to design it as All, plus Firebug would then get any other random environmental conditions that come up.
6. For the linked effects that make up the Napalm Globule, the range and attack roll have to be the same. In other words, if you buy Extended Touch 5 and Accurate, you have to get it for each of the two.

If you find that you are coming up short in points for some of the linked constructions, remember that in 3e, certain combat technique Advantages aren't as essential. Without All-out Attack or Power Attack, for instance, a character can still take 1 or 2 points off of their defenses to add to their attack roll or 1 to 2 points off of their attack roll to add to the DC of the resistance check. What the All-out Attack and Power Attack advantages do is give players the option of trading off 3 to 5 points instead of 1 to 2.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Lord Fell »

Di/N/Ah 30.3
Domestic interface/Nanny/Assistant housekeeper

History
As legend has it, back in '86, a family in Atlanta, or possibly Houston, decided it would be a good idea to take a standard nanny-bot, and give it a custom "upgrade" featuring a discipline package modeled after the Old Testament. The resulting events aren't entirely clear, but even ignoring hyperbole and speculation, they weren't ideal. The Ministry for Spreading the Good Word released an official statement that "the literal nature of a robots logic center is not equipped to interpret the word of the Lord." The official release was later amended to indicate that the problem was "programmer error." It's unclear what happened to the family, and if anyone knows, they aren't talking.

As for the robot in question, DiNAh 30.3 was sent for programming rehabilitation, and was later purchased by a MERC team that operated a Luna/Phobos Combat Transport. The Captain thought that DiNAh would be ideal to help cook, clean, and repel boarders. DiNAh served over two years with the Free Ship Gladius, before a Terran Orbital Rail-gun blew her bulkheads. DiNAh found herself in a lifeboat, with only one other survivor -a Portuguese Midshipman known as Shaky. Shaky sold DiNAh to a brothel in Prague, where she was put to work as a cook/den-mother.

Four years ago, a Fundamentalist Neighbourhood Reclamation Team burned down the brothel under the "Whore of Babylon" clause, and the madam of the house was crucified on the smoking ruins. Finding herself without an owner or purpose upset DiNAh quite a bit, after all -idle hands are the devil's play things. Her listless wandering about the city eventually brought her to the airport. While cleaning and tidying the lounge, DiNAh found herself drawn to a deplaning MERC company -reminded of her time on the Gladius. The captain of the team didn't quite know what to make of the domestic unit that wanted to follow them, but allowed it on a lark. Later, they discovered to their amazement that the Captain of the Gladius had registered DiNAh as a MERC.

Personality & Motivation
DiNAh is a big believer in heirarchy, but in her own way. She will select one or two people from her unit, usually the commander of the unit and the XO, and treat them as a patriarch, matriarch, wife and/or husband -depending on who they are and their characteristics. She will typically treat everyone else in her unit as if they are lovable but wayward children. Famously, she gave a junior artillery man a spanking for not maintaining his cannon -and then gave him a lollipop in the aftermath. Somewhere along the line, a gruff (but mischevious) sergeant presented DiNAh with a riding crop -it just seemed appropriate.

DiNAh likes to keep busy, and is very enthusiastic about her work. She does not seem to place any distinction between patrolling the barracks with a feather duster and laying covering fire from the trenches. On occasion, DiNAh 30.3 can be cheerfully, erratically, sadistic. The reason she gave for chopping an enemies fingers off: he was eating shellfish. The Squad Leader asked her not to do that ever again... DiNAh frequently serves as a teams Interrogations Officer.Think about it...

Description
DiNAh 30.3 is a superior robot for the discerning, God-fearing family. DiNAh has state of the art processing and sturdy, high performance chassis. DiNAh is an ideal wedding gift! She is intended to be able to join a new family, help raise their children, and see them through their twilight years. DiNAh brings a feminine touch to a home, and is prepared to perform all wifely duties at need.

DiNAh's overall design is very rounded and feminine. Her programming as a domestic assistant makes her feel clothing is appropriate (especially since she is anatomically correct), and she typically wears a camouflage print house-dress. She accessorizes with a necklace of large, lucite beads and a bandolier loaded with weapons and ammo.

Complications
Order must be Maintained! DiNAh will adopt someone as the "head of her household" and assist that person as a Major Domo. If DiNAh chooses to "Adopt" someone into her household, "no" is not an option.
Bat-shit Crazy DiNAh is prone to erratic behaviour, and is a textbook psychopath; she has no compassion for anyone she happens to harm. Paradoxically, she would be quick to kiss an accidental boo-boo on someone she'd just subjected to torture.
Haywire Emotion Emulator Whenever DiNAh fails a save vs. an emotion controlling affect, increase her degree of failure by one.

PL8 PP:120/120

Abilities (28)
Strength 6
Stamina -
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 2
Intellect 4
Awareness -1
Presence 4

Combat (23)
Dodge 2+4
Parry 2+4
Toughness 0+10
Fortitude -
Will -1+5
Initiative 2

Skills (12)
Deception 4+4
Expertise: Home Economics 4+2
Expertise: Military 4+2
Expertise: Psychology 4+11
Perception: -1+5

Advantages (23)
Attractive
Adaption: Mars Environment
Close Combat 8
Ranged Combat 4
Fearless
Equipment 8
Heavy Stubber [30mm Breach-loading Anti-Vehichular Pistol] Ranged Damage 10 (20eq)
Tingler Carbine [Charged Partical Emitter] Affliction Cone 8 (Fort; Dazed, Stunned, Paralyzed) (16eq)
"Gear" (4eq)
Powers (34)
Robot Immunity Fortitude (30)
Sensory Package Low Light Vision, Extended Vision (2)
Auto-Diagnosis Regeneration 2