NEW VINDICATORS #15: Deport (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #7: X-Ray (IC)

Post by flynnarrel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Fluxx.

Before the Lawyer gets there Martin dials Jason's cell phone number. He had to know if there was anything in their encounter with Dale that could help their case.

"Please pick up."

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 4 CND: Normal

"Isn't this school supposed to be about us learning to protect ourselves against people who want us dead?" Lex shakes his head, "So let us do that."

"We've tried burying our head and hoping it's going away. It isn't. And you know what they call doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?"

"Voting."

Lex points at Fischer, "You'd tell us if there was a pedophile around who might target kids. But you won't warn us about the terrorists who have been attacking and killing us?"

He scowls, "So yeah, I think you should tell us. Because I'm going to feel sorry as hell about Doug having to wake up in the middle of the night terrified about what happened to him. But I want him to know who these monsters are before they can walk up to him and slaughter him without him even knowing what's going on."

"You want us to feel safe, then let’s start working on the self defense courses, unarmed stuff, how to work as teams, how to fight these guys if we can and how to get out safely if we can't. What to do, when to do it."

"Let them know who they can go to when they're worried, when they're scared. When they think something is going down."

"Right now all they know is that we've been attacked repeatedly for no reason, they're scared, they have no direction."

"They'll start looking for one."

"And just to be clear, the next time anything happens to one of my classmates I will be involved," Lex crosses his arms, "Short of kicking my ass out of this deathtrap there isn't anything you can do to stop that. And I'm not the only one. We're already involved, and honestly? We're actually around, unlike the Vindicators. I'm not giving up on my friends."

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 am

Jason Lamperouge/Prodigy

Stepping away from the others, Jason decided to head towards his next class. He wasn't really interested in the curriculum, but he was bored with what else was going on. He'd have to text Eve soon.

As his phone began to vibrate in his pocket, he flipped it open and answered calmly. "Ah, if it isn't the good sophomore prefect. How can I help you?" He knew Martin needed help-they all did when they came to him.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:00 am

Fluxx

"If you could per'aps make evidence magically appear zat Captain Nelson is a Laputa spy and murdered 'is wife?" Martin asks without mirth. "Really zough, I need anyzing zat might 'ave transpired or you might 'ave seen zat goes toward Captain Nelson's guilt in zis regard... or even innocence in zis regard. Somezing zat would stand up in a court of law."

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Jason Lamperouge/Prodigy

"I don't know that I can help you with that, Martin. Still, even in a place like this, you would think the police would at least take notice of him-usually when a married person is murdered, the spouse is high on the list of suspects. Also, if he has one of those Laputa tattoos, that would be pretty damning evidence, if circumstantial."

The thin teen sighed. "Of course if that stupid English woman hadn't taken Theiranthrope god knows where, we might be able to interrogate him right now-Emily could force him to tell us everything he knows about Laputa-including whether or not Nelson is a member. All I really have is the word of Therianthrope that Nadja Nelson discovered an agent of Laputa, which is most probably the reason for her death. Therefore, we can conclude whoever killed her is working with Laputa."

Jason pulled his pendant out from under his shirt and traced one finger along its cold surface. "At this point, its most important to find out the identity of Nadja Nelson's killer, without being concerned about Captain Nelson. Suspicion aside, we must think objectively. But I doubt I'll be of any help to you there. Our esteemed headmistress will most likely deny myself or any other student access to the crime scene at this juncture."

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:48 pm

NVAE, SUBLEVEL: INFIRMARY (Lex; NPCs: Doctor Fischer)
"It was my philosophy that this place existed to give you the chance at a normal adolescence," the headmistress admitted, "but you're right in that we need to focus on teaching the students how to defend themselves--how to work together. Still, I don't see what good telling the student body about Laputa will do--especially considering how very little we actually know.

"Before yesterday, I was willing to accept that our hubris was the catalyst behind these attacks. We never should have kept Scott Axeion here at the school. He was a former student and... I suppose the faculty felt it owed to him a chance for rehabilitation. If I could do it all over again, I'd send him..." She trailed off, realizing that Lex had not been told of Pandora's existence. "...I'd never have brought him here; I never would have brought him here to effectively invite his masters to retrieve him. Bringing him here was a mistake that attracted these dangerous people to this school and cost Alina her life.

"Then, Matt Meyers was taken over. There had been nothing to warrant the attack--nothing to justify why they would do it. At this point, I'm convinced that these people are mad dogs in dire need of being put down--but I will still avoid sending children into battle against them.

"The Vindicators have done what they can--they continue to do what they can. Unfortunately, they have so little knowledge in what's going on and that forces us to be reactionary. We don't know where they're based out of so we can't strike at them; we don't know where they'll hit next so we can't lay a trap...

"I'll rest on this tonight and tomorrow, I'll make a formal announcement. We can discuss how best to train the students. Including the new ones..." The woman sighed. "We've found out about four other Neo-Sapiens, Lex. I was hoping to send each of the prefects on a recruitment assignment but... with Fiore indisposed and Martin and Emily suspended..." She shook her head. "There is a young man in Algeria, two more teenagers in Sweden and one right here in Vienna who I would like to extend an invitation to. Your school ID grants you access to basic personnel files: look at the other students and nominate three interim prefects. Their first official exercise can be leading a small cell on each recruitment--work out the kinks before we start teaching them to defend themselves...

"Any thoughts?"
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Fluxx

"So Dale said nozing to give an indication about zeir spy?"
Martin frowned but didn't really expect anything different. Even arrogance had it's limits. Still, he needed an ally.

"Here is some background, please, 'ear me out before you decide. I am... breaking a promise to say zis to you.... but I really eed 'elp. Nadja Nelson, Tatjana's mozer was found dead zis morning and Zey brought me in to assist in forensics. Nadja Nelson's corpse seemed to 'ave evidence of suffocation and puncture marks in 'er chest consistant wiz ze Rauf males 'oo 'ave poisoned spines in a distinctive pattern. I could detect no poison in 'er system, nor ze protein markers of a poison 'aving broken down in 'er system. Zere was no scent foreign to ze room. I did not get to check for strangulation marks or evidence of a non organic injected chemical to cause asphyxia. Zey moved ze body down to ze infirmary. But by ze time I got down zere I encountered my mozer posing as Dr. Talley, and Tantivy, Vlad's sister in ze room. Zey apparently disabled Doctor Talley and ze UN guards. My mozer made a show of doing... somezing to ze body. She said she was removing evidence but as long as I did not interfere she would leave ze body for ze Nelsons to mourn."

"It was no more zan 20 seconds. Jason, I know zat *I* couldn't remove ze traces of a poison or chemical from an entire circulatory system, especially wiz ze 'eart no longer pumping. Are you in ze Imfirmary still? If you could check ze body for physical evidence of smozering or choking, Bruises around ze nose and mouz, and/or neck, maybe point zem out to Dr. Talley. Maybe ask about an autopsy. I fear zat suffocation is some'ow a manifestation of ze Nelson powers and zere is no physical evidence. And I fear zat anyzing we *do* find from ze body will be suspect do to Entier's supposed tampering. But zere is nozing for zat. I 'ave been told zat anyzing I find will be suspect and likely disregarded at ze trial. But, to make ze puncture wounds, Captain Nelson must've used an implement and 'id it somewhere. Maybe we can search for it. Maybe get Minotaur's assistance and Terrance Nelson, Captain Nelson's brozer to 'elp. "

"Ah, concerning ze Nelsons. Zis isn't my secret to tell, but if it could give an idea about 'ow to resolve zis mess... Tatjana is not Captain Nelson's biological child, Sarah is, it is 'er zat is on ze list of Laputa children to be spared zat my mozer gave me, I told you of zat several months ago. By extension, Tatjana must be Terrance Nelson's daughter. If 'e calls for a paternity test zen Captain Nelson 'as much less claim to pull Tatjana out of school to be used as a Laputa 'ostage, by ze way. Maybe we can ask 'im? I... I was ze one 'oo warned Nadja Nelson to watch out for 'Sarah's fazer'. I 'ad meant be wary of Terrance, ze janitor, but Nadja must've known Ronald was Sarah's fazer, confronted 'im, and 'e killed 'er. My mozer said zat Nadja 'ad figured out 'oo ze spy was."

"Now you know."

"Oh, about a tatoo, I doubt zat zey would send a spy wiz such a damning piece of evidence. One could easily cover up such a tatoo wiz anozer tatoo of somezing different if zey did not want a suspicious scar of tatoo removal."

"If you do not wish to get involved I'll understand; I'll... I'll figure out somezing else."
he says hesitantly.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Alex "Current" Murphy

Lex fights the urge to curse, "Okay, pretend time. You're a student, I'm from Laputa."

"You see me walking down the street. You don't know who I am. You're dead."

"If you'd had any idea of who I was you might have had some options, you might have known you were in trouble. You might have been on guard. You might have gotten out alive. But you never had a chance because you were never told."

"So, let’s say you get lucky, and catch onto me before I can attack. What do you do?"

"Maybe you got a weapon. Taser? I love them, you're dead. Stun gun? Wouldn't even notice it, you're dead. Pepper spray? Yeah, I'd hate that, but I can shoot you from far enough away it probably won't help. Baton, sword? Same as above."

"Gun? Now you might have a chance, but anything else and you were dead before you started. You wouldn't have realized it until it was too late."

He shakes his head, waving his arms to emphasis his point, "Secrets make them strong. As long as we don't know who they are we can't hope to defend ourselves against them, and as long as we don't know what their powers are we make them stronger. Vlad's a bloody monster, but a bucket of water turns him from a death sentence into something that Kirstie or Doug could stand a fighting chance against."

"And I think we know a good bunch of them. Have you tried asking the students? Or the Vindicators? We notice stuff a lot more than you might think."

Fischer wrote:"The Vindicators have done what they can--they continue to do what they can. Unfortunately, they have so little knowledge in what's going on and that forces us to be reactionary. We don't know where they're based out of so we can't strike at them; we don't know where they'll hit next so we can't lay a trap...
"They're going after Dale. Ya know, Ripper's dad? Which means they'll either show up here trying to figure out where your secret 'hidey hole' is," Lex pauses then adds in, "Yeah, I heard about that one too" before going on, "Or they'll show up there and blow it the hell up."

"Which is why the students need to know, sooner not later. There's a theme and it's them kicking the hell out of us here."

Fischer wrote: "We've found out about four other Neo-Sapiens, Lex. I was hoping to send each of the prefects on a recruitment assignment but... with Fiore indisposed and Martin and Emily suspended..." She shook her head. "There is a young man in Algeria, two more teenagers in Sweden and one right here in Vienna who I would like to extend an invitation to. Your school ID grants you access to basic personnel files: look at the other students and nominate three interim prefects. Their first official exercise can be leading a small cell on each recruitment--work out the kinks before we start teaching them to defend themselves...

"Any thoughts?"
"You're plan is to send us out in smaller groups before we've worked out how to defend ourselves?" Lex says in a flat tone.

He rolls his eyes, then starts ticking off options on his fingers, "Gaspar, he wants to be a prefect and honestly he's better at looking out for the students in an emergency than any of us were. Kas, he's already kicked ass and kept a level head on his second day, don't know much about him personally but that's no small feat. Otso, he's got a level head and people like him. Dag, he's quiet but... we trust him, ya know?"

"Kirstie might be pretty good with it, she's a people person so she'd get on with the rest of the students but I'm not sure if she'd even want the extra stress right now."

He pauses, "But if you send me out to pick up those kids you better send somebody else who actually thinks they should be here. Because, me? I think it's way too dangerous for the people who're already here. And I don't think bringing more into the line of fire is going to help any of them."

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:00 pm

NVAE, SUBLEVEL: WRECK ROOM (Lex; NPCs: Doctor Fischer)
"Okay, pretend time. You're a student, I'm from Laputa: You see me walking down the street. You don't know who I am. You're dead. If you'd had any idea of who I was you might have had some options, you might have known you were in trouble. You might have been on guard. You might have gotten out alive. But you never had a chance because you were never told. So, let’s say you get lucky, and catch onto me before I can attack. What do you do?

"Maybe you got a weapon. Taser? I love them, you're dead. Stun gun? Wouldn't even notice it, you're dead. Pepper spray? Yeah, I'd hate that, but I can shoot you from far enough away it probably won't help. Baton, sword? Same as above. Gun? Now you might have a chance, but anything else and you were dead before you started. You wouldn't have realized it until it was too late."

"And what do we tell them?" Doctor Fischer asked. "Who is in Laputa? We have a handful of names. We can describe some of them. We can show them the video of Dale Rexroth in action. You keep saying that we need to be forthcoming with the information, but you're forgetting that we have little to offer..."

"I think we know a good bunch of them. Have you tried asking the students? Or the Vindicators? We notice stuff a lot more than you might think."

"And the human mind makes up twice as much. Imagine that I showed you a picture of someone you didn't know--you'd never met--and asked if you could recall having ever seen them. Our minds play tricks on us, Lex: either they admit they don't know or their mind starts putting the face on someone they saw that morning. Suddenly, we're being misled by illusions..."

"Secrets make them strong," Lex argued. "As long as we don't know who they are we can't hope to defend ourselves against them, and as long as we don't know what their powers are we make them stronger. Vlad's a bloody monster, but a bucket of water turns him from a death sentence into something that Kirstie or Doug could stand a fighting chance against."

The headmistress rolled her eyes. "You were just going on about 'if you're lucky enough to have it on hand'--water may be abundant but enough to immerse Mister Radikovich in? I doubt Miss Arnett will be arming herself with a hose at all times..."

"They're going after Dale!" Lex snapped. "Ya know, Ripper's dad? Which means they'll either show up here trying to figure out where your secret 'hidey hole' is--yeah, I heard about that one too--or they'll show up there and blow it the hell up."

"They'll never find it," Doctor Fischer said. "Even I don't know where Dale Rexroth has been taken. I doubt they'll come here though. I think it's fairly obvious that they have eyes and ears on the inside: they'll know he's not here.

"They'll know it's futile to come here," she said hopefully.

"The students need to know, sooner not later. There's a theme," Lex growled, "and it's them kicking the hell out of us here."

"I don't believe so," Doctor Fischer said. "I know how this has to seem but... their attacks are not constant. Aside from yesterday's incident, it's almost like they only move on us when there's ground to take. After all, if they wanted us dead, why didn't they plant the bomb in the school instead of an adjacent building?

"We've found out about four other Neo-Sapiens, Lex. I was hoping to send each of the prefects on a recruitment assignment but... with Fiore indisposed and Martin and Emily suspended..." She shook her head. "There is a young man in Algeria, two more teenagers in Sweden and one right here in Vienna who I would like to extend an invitation to. Your school ID grants you access to basic personnel files: look at the other students and nominate three interim prefects. Their first official exercise can be leading a small cell on each recruitment--work out the kinks before we start teaching them to defend themselves...

"Any thoughts?"

"You're plan is to send us out in smaller groups before we've worked out how to defend ourselves?" Lex asked in a flat tone.

"You're right: these children should be left to face persecution because you're not ready yet. How silly of me. I suppose I could ask Quintessence to take the Vindicators out to play college recruiter; after all, you were kind enough to point out that they're not doing anything." She shrugged. "Jack is the only person who's ever come close to defeating Iconoclast--I guess if he pops up somewhere in Europe we can have Jack handle it..."

He rolled his eyes before he began to count off the options on his fingers: "Gaspar: he wants to be a prefect and honestly he's better at looking out for the students in an emergency than any of us were. Kas' already kicked ass and kept a level head on his second day--don't know much about him personally but that's no small feat. Otso has a level head and people like him. Dag's quiet but... we trust him, ya know?"

"Kirstie might be pretty good with it: she's a people person so she'd get on with the rest of the students but I'm not sure if she'd even want the extra stress right now..."

"But if you send me out to pick up those kids you better send somebody else who actually thinks they should be here. Because, me? I think it's way too dangerous for the people who're already here. And I don't think bringing more into the line of fire is going to help any of them."

"Just because the castle's under siege, doesn't mean the king tells everyone to flee its walls. Last night, I gave serious thought to evacuating the school. I considered transferring every student here to our sister school in Tokyo but..." She shook her head. "How long would it be before something happened there?

"Do you know that before this semester, the worst thing that happened on this campus was a headmaster and a student committed suicide? That fiasco in America has spilled over into our backyard, Mister Murphy but it's not just contained here. Maybe it's hubris on my part, but I think there are young people who need us--who need this. We're the only home Emily, Viktor and Gaspar have; we're the only link Otso has to finding his father... We're helping Tatjana to work through her problems; we're a refuge for Doug and Jack...

"The world isn't kind to Neo-Sapiens, Lex. It may not be as bad here as it is in the States but still... These kids need a life preserver tossed to them."

The woman sighed before turning back towards the exit. "I'm afraid Gaspar may not be available tomorrow but I will consider your suggestion. You're right: he's done surprisingly well under pressure. Mister Karell, Mister Flaegler, Mister Schenkenberg and yourself will be leading tomorrow's missions. I'll brief you all in the morning concerning the targets and allow you to divest the teams.

"For now, I need to tend to other matters." She stopped suddenly and turned; by her expression, it seemed like she had just remembered something. "If you need to discuss anything with your fellow students, may I insist you do so in this room? Mister Curie is convinced that Captain Nelson is capable of some sort of super-hearing and the Wreck Room is sound-proof.

"Again, thank you, Lex... for showing me what Sir Newton saw in you."
Last edited by Michuru81 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Jason Lamperouge/Prodigy

Jason's voice grew quizzical. "Several months? Martin today is only the thirty-seventh day I've known you. As for checking the body, Doctor Talley doesn't think much of my medical opinion, due to my lack of experience. As for an autopsy, do you mean to go so far as dissection? Actually..." He should have thought of it sooner really, as soon as death was involved, it should have jumped to his mind. But lately, he was a little...off. In all probability, it was probably hormones. "You know what though-I may have a way to do this. Maybe, just maybe."

Jason knew of only one person in the entire world who could help him do what he needed to do. It was a long shot, but it could work. He doubted Mr. Ander would revive Nadja Nelson as he had with Beatrice's father-which seemed pretty damn messed up, but if he wasn't going to do it on his own, Jason asking wouldn't change his mind. Tat, maybe.

"Its too bad Newton's not here any more, he could do this do. Well, something similar. I'll let you know when I know more."

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

NVAE #8

Post by Michuru81 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:17 pm

NEW VINDICATORS ACADEMY OF EUROPE #8: Zugzwang

2008 October 15 - Wednesday

NVAE
The morning began strangely: an announcement was made over the loud speakers, decreeing that classes had been canceled for the day. Instead of their normal first hour classes, a mandatory assembly was going to begin in the Wreck Room.

It was here that Doctor Fischer told the entire student body about the existence of a terrorist organization called Laputa. She told them that they had first learned of Laputa’s existence during the K-Town incident—which brought Captain Nelson, Nadja Nelson and Emily Adler to their campus.

She went on to explain how one member, codenamed Basilisk, had been captured and imprisoned in the Wreck Room. She told of how Laputa had come to free him utilizing the explosive in the adjacent building as a distraction.

She told them all about how Alina Amânar had died.

She told them about Lacuna taking control of Matt Meyers—a youth noticeably absent from the mandatory assembly. She went on to tell them about Nadja Nelson’s death and how an investigation had begun. She told them one more was captured and taken far, far away from their school.

Doctor Fischer told the students what she knew concerning Laputa. Some of them cried. Some of them pretended to be brave. Some of them merely balled their hands into fists or gritted teeth.

Doctor Fischer told them that her desire was to protect every one of her charges and that, she claimed, began by teaching them to protect themselves…

“Starting today, we will be placing you into groups designed to balance your strengths and weaknesses. We’ll be employing the Wreck Room more as we try to teach you all how to best use your abilities. We will teach you self-defense.”

It would begin, she announced, with a recruitment mission…

NVAE, DOCTOR FISCHER’S OFFICE (Kas, Lex and Otso; NPCs: Dag, Doctor Fischer)
Once Dag arrived, Doctor Fischer began. “I don’t know how much Mister Murphy has told you,” she intoned, “but as of this moment, you have all been deputized as prefects. Today, each of you will lead a small group on a mission to recruit another teenage Neo-Sapien.

“First, some information on the targets…

“The closest one is this girl.” A picture of an athletic blonde girl was projected on the wall behind the headmistress. “As near as we can tell, she lives right here in Vienna. She appeared on our radar when she was caught shoplifting. A security guard chased her but the girl escaped using parkour—free-running. While there’s nothing exceptional about her speed, what is miraculous is that the girl is able to continue moving without tiring—likely what’s kept her from getting caught. One group will need to track her down and offer her a full pardon for her misdemeanors, should she join.

“The next one is this boy—Mouloud Poundstone. Mouloud resides in Oran, the second largest city in Algeria. Reports indicate that his power is super-strength. He is presently believed to be in hiding. This one will likely be the most dangerous: Algeria is the home of terrorist activity—nothing like what we’re facing with Laputa either… Mouloud’s mother reported him missing after a political protest that turned violent. According to her, he is gifted with incredible strength. It’s possible that he may have been abducted by a terror cell who knows about his gift and plans to employ it.

“The next two are both in Sweden. First, Mary Ljungdahl’s mother reported her missing two days ago. The woman divorced her husband in 2006 and the man has had visitation rights since. Apparently, he learned about his daughter’s Neo-Sapien ability—a gift her mother kept hidden from him—to alter her appearance to look like anyone. Mary’s father has apparently always had criminal ambitions so it may be possible he’s going to try and force Mary to help him in some illegal venture or another.

“Lastly, we have this girl: Synnove Ronke. Unlike the other three, she’s not in any immediate danger. What she does have, however, is a sibling who graduated from this school. Hans Ronke’s Neo-Sapien power lets him shape his bones and pull them out of his body—typically to use them as weapons. After graduation, Hans joined up with a criminal group that attacked the American school months before it was raided by their government. According to our files on him, he was responsible for the deaths of several of their students. Synnove’s brother is a wanted criminal and her parents are hesitant to send her off for fear of her following in his footsteps.

“Lex, you’re the one with the most seniority here: I’ll leave it to you to assign each of the cases and figure out how to divide the teams.” Suddenly, the screen behind her ceased to show Scrimshaw’s visage and now brought up a roster of active students.

Apex, Catalyst, Fach, Fluxx, Larrikin, Lluvia and Mildew were not on the list: Lex knew Mildew had tried to kill himself the day before, Diamond Dust and Fiore were recovering from their respective gunshot wounds while Larrikin healed from yesterday’s surgery; Catalyst, Fach, Fluxx and Lluvia were bound for the Hague today but why was Apex on the restricted list?

Lex had Aphasia, Eiron, Gae Bolg, Gresystone, Impasse, Lullaby, Maze, Pachyderm, Parabola, Prodigy, Quail, Sprite, Sublime, Troubadour and Vestige to play with…

THE HAGUE (Emily, Martin; NPCs: Gaspar, Missus Flaegler)
They never should have left the crime scene…

It had to be his mother—it had to be. When Beatrice looked over the room, she told the headmistress that she could see countless deaths. Nadja Nelson was dying over and over. Both Rauf men were present. At times, Beatrice said she could see a weathered old man as the killer: his face was like dried parchment and his hair and beard were both long and white. It was only when Beatrice said his after-image led to the bedroom that Martin came close to understanding who this person was supposed to be…

On Nadja’s pillow was pyrocollodion a smokeless powder its inventor—Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev—intended to replace gunpowder. When Martin showed Beatrice the Russian man’s picture, she confirmed it was him. Now he knew his mother had been in here, covering her associate’s tracks. She was taunting him by assuming the identity of the man who first drafted the periodic table of elements…

Beatrice’s ability worked by her looking at the after-image left in the wake of a person’s movements. She had described it as seeing a series of photographs stacked atop each other. The busier an area was, the more challenging it was for her to find what she was looking for. Somehow, Entier must have known this—she impossibly knew how Beatrice’s powers worked!—and had used her own morphing abilities to assume the guise of several other suspects and even the late Missus Nelson herself… all in a shrewd attempt to throw them off…

Not that it would have mattered anyway: according to Kasamir’s mother, evidence gained using super-human abilities was hardly considered when weighing a person’s guilt. It made sense: there was little way of testing whether or not someone was lying about what they claimed to have seen in the accused mind or what they were able to divine by talking to a victim’s house cat.

Ultimately, the only physical evidence Martin had was his tape recorder… but there wasn’t anything incriminating on that, was there?

Missus Flaegler led her three witnesses into the courtroom. It was nothing like what Martin had expected: it was a small chamber with several chairs beside the door, a table a chair a few feet ahead and a chair turned ninety degrees to the left ahead of that.

Before that chair was a camera and on the walls above and beside that camera were several screens. “This is how super-powered court functions,” Missus Flaeglar explained solemnly. “Some suspects have abilities not unlike Miss Adler’s: imagine if I were prosecuting Emily—it would be easy for her to end my argument by simply taking hold of my thoughts and commanding me to end my line of questioning.

“To this end, the tribunal, the attorneys… even the witnesses brought forward will have anonymity from the other side. They can’t see us and we can’t see them.”

GPrime
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #8: Zugzwang (IC)

Post by GPrime » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Emily
Emily is unimpressed by the set up. "I'm hardly the most powerful Esper around." She says. "It's not just what goes on here, during the trial that you need to worry about."
She shakes her head. "Lacuna can make anyone into its slave. Anyone Lacuna comes in contact with, or anyone its thrall comes in contact with. They plant a seed. Waiting on a trigger. There could be dozens, just waiting for their trigger. Waiting until a member of Lacuna is on trial. You need a team of Espers to check everyone involved in this trial. They don't need to invade anyone's privacy, the test is simple. If they come up against a mental shield, a shield in the form of a mummified head, with a rook on its tongue, then that person is potentially under Lacuna's control."
"And I mean it when I say a team of Espers. I've found that no-one believes you when you say you see something in their brain, simply because they don't want to believe it. You need the extra proof. More importantly, you need to make sure your Esper isn't compromised." Emily looks around the room.
"But if you think this is enough..." She trails off.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 am

Alex "Current" Murphy

The fight with Fischer went the way he was expecting. She disregarded most of his points without giving them much consideration.

He gritted his teeth and bore it. He'd already had a plan in mind and he was ready to get the entire student body together behind her back to do it. No point in wasting his time now.

The announcement the next day was a surprise. He hadn't been expecting that.

Then he was dragged into the meeting for his next couple surprises.

First that they were still bringing students in, and second that they were effectively emptying the entire school.

"Still think you should be sending these new kids to Japan," Lex says then pulls out a piece of paper and starts scribbling, stumbling a few times trying to figure out which student has what powers and uses what call name.

Finally he pushes the paper out for the others to see.

Code: Select all

Dag: Shapeshifter
   -Sprite
   -Prodigy
   -Gae Blog
   -Pachyderm

Lex: Strong Man
   -GreyStone
   -Impasse
   - Sublime

Kas: Running Girl
   -Parabola
   -Quail
   -Vestige
   -Eiron

Otso: Bone Girl
   -Trouadour
   -Aphasia
   -Maze
   -Lullaby
"I'm not sold on this, so if you have suggestions to make speak up," He looks at the others, "Kas, I pegged you for the bone girl because, honestly, you're probably the most friendly out of all of us and you've had some experience at this school."

"Aphasia should help with any language barriers, and Maze can cover you if a fight breaks out," He pauses, "I'm not really expecting one though, so she'll probably be more help bonding with the new girl, maybe Lullaby too... Honestly, you got Trouadour because you speak french."

He shrugs helplessly.

"Kas, I got you for the running girl. You can fly which gives you a leg up. Vestige can help you track her if she gets out of sight, Doug can help in the air, Kirstie's good as a translator for Vestige and selling her on the athletics department at our school, and Eiron's got some punch to him plus he's easy for either you or Doug to carry."

"Dag... I want to send you after the shapeshifter. You'd probably work better with Jack than I would, but if you can see through the shifter it might be better to have you instead of me."

"Plus I'm easier to put back together in a fight if things get dangerous with the strongman."

"Sprite and Gae Blog are good in a fight if it should come to that, and lets be honest Mira's probably one of the better..."
Lex trails off.

Mira wouldn't be one of the best people to sell the school anymore. Alina had been her best friend, and with the admission this morning.

"I don't really know Pachyderm, honestly. Prodogy is a pain but he's got knowledge about just about everything under the sun, and he's good at ducking when the time comes," Lex says though possibly not as convincing as he should be with that last part.

"As for the Strongman... If we're walking into a firefight I want people who can walk away from a scrap. Impasse is hard to hurt and is mobile, Ripper's a tank, Sublime isn't a slouche and she's brings some skills to the table that the others are missing."

"And me... Well, if they blow my ass up they won't need Doctor Talley or Martin to put me back together."

"Like I said, I'm not dead set on this so now's the time to say something if you don't like the layout."

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #8: Zugzwang (IC)

Post by Michuru81 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:28 am

THE HAGUE
"It's not a defense against you personally," Missus Flaegler offered. "Every trial is conducted like this. A tribunal is assembled spontaneously, so no one has prior knowledge of who will be placed on the jury. Their names aren't given. You will be identified by an alias during these proceedings so that no one participating here can track you down afterwards.

"But you're right: a team of impartial Espers would be nice... Just to make certain they haven't stacked the decks against us."

NVAE
Dag looked over the information on Mary Ljungdahl and then looked at who he had been given for a team. "Not that I'm complaining," he intoned, "but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to start... I mean, this girl was taken from her home? I assume during her father's normal visitation? None of us can track by scent like Otso and Jack can or see things the way Beatrice does.

"Unless the girl is within my vicinity, I'm not going to be much use. The others are combat-focused and then there's Jason--who may be the only useful one there. I understand why you picked me but... maybe if Otso led this one or I had Beatrice?"

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 1 CND: Normal

Lex sighs, "I don't want to send Beatrice in because of what happened yesterday, and based on what we know you might be looking at some fighting. It's not right but..."

He shrugs again, "As for Jack and Otso, well, they can follow scents but it doesn't work if they climb into a car. And if she changes her scent when she transforms."

Lex shakes his head helplessly, "Anyways, that was just my thoughts. Personally I want to hold onto Jack for the same reason you have, it'd be nice to be able to track him via scent. Beatrice is useful for this stuff but she isn't built for a fight and even then you'd still have to find somewhere the shifter's been recently for her to find them. Apparently the trail goes cold after awhile."

"Regardless of who goes where we're all looking at some detective work to get the ball rolling," He leans back, "If Otso takes the lead he'd have to go bear mode to smell her out."

He sighs, "Not trying to get down on your suggestions, just sharing what I see as problems so we're all coming from the same direction."

"So what do you guys think? Otso? You want to swap? Or do you think you're good to catch the runner without Beatrice, Kas?"