NEW VINDICATORS (Books I - XIII)

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Chapter 1144

Post by Manintights » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 am

I've allways been interested in Nor'easter as a character, mainly as I've been thinking about building a character like him for a game at home.
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

New Vindicators: [Gae Bolg]

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

New Vindicators, Chapter 1145

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:22 am

Chapter XLV: Song Against Sex
The New Vindicators and Kiefer Sutherland stepped down off of the transport that had carried them from the depths of space to the planet Ducktron. There, they began wading through the marshes littered with cybernetic reeds. Nothing seemed organic here—including the water they trudged through: according to Sentry, the water was nothing but tiny metal filaments that bound together to create something that behaved like water. “Makes you wonder what we’re breathing,” Dipole muttered as he plodded along behind his teammates.

Soon they found the first hint of civilization: a temple resembling those that the Ancient Greeks built to honor their pantheon of gods had been erected. Guarding the stairs that rose up into to forest of columns were two enormous statues of Bret Farve throwing a pass.

“Seriously?” Phaeton asked, cringing at the sight of the giant number four emblazoned on the stone titan’s chest. “This is getting messed up.”

“Getting?” Solar Flare asked, pushing forward.

The Theurgist was still gazing up at the sentinels. “Anyone else see their heads moving slightly? I think they’re bobbleheads.”

“That would make about as much sense as anything else we’ve seen today,” Kudzu said.

Maalik shrugged before moving to catch up with his companions. “Oh, well; at least things can’t get any weirder, right?”

The procession came to a grinding halt when Lodestone paused and slowly turned to look back at him. Their instructor was wearing a look of pure rage on his face as he glared at the Nephilim. “Why would you say that!?!” he thundered.

Maalik shrugged. “I dunno, just seemed like-”

“You idiot! Haven’t you figured out the sort of mentality of the person controlling us!?! Elemenoh’s a freaking madman with a hard on for tropes! You can’t go around saying things like, ‘It’s quiet—a little too quiet’ or ‘What’s the worst that will happen?’ I mean, have you ever actually seen a movie? When someone says, ‘I think he’s gone’, he will come crashing in and kill you. If you get hit and ask, ‘Is that the best you can do’ expect to see their best right after you stop moving your lips!

“You can’t give this little nutball an opening, okay!?! You can’t say things like that and not expect it to get weirder!”

Maalik laughed. “Look around you, man! How could it possibly get any weirder!?!”

Lodestone closed his eyes tight as he heard the sound of two giant Bret Farve bobbleheads coming to life. “I hate you so much, Maalik.” He turned around slowly and opened his eyes slowly; he looked up at the pair of fifty-foot tall golems and shuddered.

“Okay,” Maalik said, “now we know it can’t get weirder…”

The Bret Farve golems pulled back their arms and suddenly a flaming orb appeared in their hands. Lodestone glared at Maalik. They pitched forward, hurling the fireballs straight for the New Vindicators. “Magnus! Will!” Chienne screamed. “The water!”

They watched as Chienne suddenly split into two halves—one with red hair and the other with blue. Both of them hurried to magnetically grab the water they all stood knee-deep in and raised it to form a shield between them and the incoming projectile.

Dipole grinned as he caused more of the lake to levitate. Lodestone followed suit as did Prompt, who substituted telekinesis for the others’ magnetic control. Torrent tried to manipulate the water and failed miserably—that’ll teach him to make fun of a guy’s movie!

“Okay, did anyone else hear that or am I going crazy?” Torrent asked.

“Hear what, Tide Junior?” Lodestone asked as the fireball exploded against the giant shield of cybernetic water. “Was it the sound of you turning evil? Like your big brother?”

“For the bazillionth fuggin’ time, he’s my cousin and we’re nothing alike!”

Solar Flare and Phaeton led the other New Vindicators in their charge: the two exploded through the air towards the golems while the Cold Detective, Sentry, Maalik and Kudzu raced below them on the ground. Twin blasts of light—one from Solar Flare and one from Sentry—struck one of the golems in the face and thigh; Phaeton unleashed a stream of plasma for the creature’s neck while Kudzu simply swelled in size. Covered in bark and greenery, the short girl grappled the statue while Maalik swung his spectral hammer and the Cold Detective swung his fists into the monster’s ankles.

Together, they were able to topple the behemoth but the other was still going strong. “I’ve got this,” Kiefer said as he charged for it.

The giant, stone Bret Farve kicked Kiefer Sutherland in the face. His Yankees cap fell to the ground where he had been standing. His body fell to the ground, broken and defeated.

“Did they seriously just kill Jack Bauer?” Maalik asked, stunned by the sight of the actor’s still form. “Bret Farve succeeded where terrorists have failed before him?”

Lodestone rolled his eyes. “Kind of wish it’d been you instead of him,” he grumbled. “At least he was useful, if fictional…”

The Cold Detective groaned as his companions focused on the man’s body and ignored the threat of his killer. On his own, he knew that he had little that would pose a threat to the monster… but he had a plan.

Holding up a gloved hand, he pointed his index finger upward in the universal sign for “hold on a moment.” Then, reaching into his coat’s pocket, the time lost boy pulled out a marker that had not been there before. Biting into the cap, he gave the marker a tug and proceeded to draw a mailbox on the air. Quickly writing a letter to ACME, the Cold Detective stuffed the order for an ACME blaster rifle into the mailbox, slammed the door shut and flipped the flag up.

He looked at an imaginary watch on his wrist while impatiently tapping his foot for a few seconds when suddenly, a delivery truck careened around the corner. For a moment, the truck obscured the time-lost boy from view but when it pulled away, he had the ordered product in his hands.

“Finally!” Elemenoh happily exclaimed as the Cold Detective trained a comically large, futuristic gun on the golem. “Someone gets how I work!”

The Theurgist’s heart sank at the sight: it was so simple and yet he had not even considered that Elemenoh’s quirky abilities could be made to work for them if they just played along with it. As he watched the blaster avenge Kiefer Sutherland with a bolt of energy, he doubted such a trick would work twice…

Apparently, he was the only one to realize this: “Where’d you get that marker, man?” Torrent was suddenly asking, patting down his uniform.

“My pocket,” the Cold Detective said coldly. “I figured I was the only one with pockets, I had to-”

“Lemme borrow that marker for a second,” Torrent said, reaching for the Sharpie. “I wanna send away for a big ass gun too.”

Elemenoh suddenly swung a massive mallet into the sophomore’s face. “The product has been discontinued,” the Cosmic Kender warned him. “Factory recalls too—apparently it’s only good for one shot.”

As the Cold Detective tossed the blaster over his shoulder, Torrent sat up; his head wobbled about on his neck and a trio of Katy Perry’s orbited his skull. Their chirping and their presence only ended when he frantically shook his head.

“Moving on,” Lodestone growled, turning towards the temple.

“What about Kiefer?” Solar Flare asked, kneeling beside the actor’s mangled corpse. “I mean, shouldn’t we do something for him?”

“Like what?” Lodestone asked. “I thought I told you already: this little acid trip won’t have any lasting effects once we get through it. We overcome whatever quirky little hurdles Elemenoh has put in front of us and we’re home free—Kiefer Sutherland will be back to life, making movies no one remembers.

“Let’s just keep moving.” Lodestone did not wait for a rebuttal: he marched forward. Prompt, Coulomb, Dipole, Kudzu and Maalik followed him without question while Sentry looked on at Solar Flare worriedly. Noticing Kiefer’s cap, the Cold Detective bent down and picked the Yankees cap up; he dusted it off before stuffing it into the pocket of his trench coat.

“Let’s just go,” Pandora grumbled as she helped haul Torrent to his feet. As they set off, Chienne looked to the remaining students. Solar Flare pouted but he pushed on; only when he began to move did Sentry start to follow.

Only the Theurgist remained. “You okay?” Chienne asked the magus.

“This really isn’t a Wreck Room exercise?” he asked. “This isn’t a hologram?”

Chienne shook her head. “Not that I’m aware of anyway,” she said, amending her unspoken response. “I’ve never dealt with this Elemenoh kid before but I trust Lodestone… kind of… If he says we need to just push on and the insanity will end, we need to push on-”

“None of this makes sense though! I mean, by channeling arcana, I can manipulate fragments of reality—alter the gravity within a fixed radius or change the weather—but the level that this kid is altering things at? Without speaking any incantation? Without moving his hands? It’s impossible! There’s no way that this is humanly possible with arcana so… how is…?” He wanted to cry. So much of his life had been devoted to studying the primal force of arcana and now a child showed up and displayed power beyond anything he even fathomed wielding? “This doesn’t make any sense… It has to be a hologram. It has to be.”

Chienne shrugged. “Then it is,” she said. “Look, I don’t know the first thing about magic. I don’t know if Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster are real or not. You probably do though. As far as I’m concerned, you’re our expert here. If you say this is impossible—if you’re sure it’s a hologram—then I have to take your word for it.” The Theurgist looked up and saw her smiling at him. “Now, while I don’t know anything about magic, I do know that the others are getting way ahead of us.” She looked to the unguarded temple—the other New Vindicators were nowhere to be seen. “Ready to go catch up?” she asked.

The magus nodded and the two continued onward…
Elemenoh P. Quarez wrote:GUMSHOE (Power Level 8)
Height / Weight: 5’10” / 148 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Brown / Green
Place of Birth: New York City, New York (April 18, 1972)
First Appearance: Detective #38

Physical Description: As a teenager, John was an athletic young man with a mop of shaggy brown hair. As an adult, grey streaks the sides of John’s short hair and bristly mustache adorns his face.

Relationships: Johnathon Long (father; deceased), Mary Long (mother; deceased), Wayne Bruce / Detective (mentor; deceased), Elizabeth Olsen (wife; deceased), John Olsen (step-son; deceased), Jack Olsen / Detective II (step-son)

Biography: When the Detective began investigating a corrupt politician named Robert Halley, Halley’s bodyguard caught wind of the vigilante and warned the congressman to be mindful of his less-than-reputable dealings. Rather than risk the voting public learning about his trading legistlative favors for contributions from Americans For a Conservative Victory, a mask worn by Punjab separatists looking for American aid in their Anti-Sikh crusade, Congressman Halley instead turned the head of his financial department, Johnathon Long, into a patsy.

As the Detective watched his own history repeated before his eyes, he saw the Long’s teenage son and saw a glimmer of the man he once had been. He took the younger John Long under his wing and made him an integral part of clearing his family’s name and bringing the congressman’s crimes to light.

With his family restored, John insisted Wayne allow him to continue as his sidekick. When Wayne refused—insisting the boy have a normal adolescence. Instead, the fifteen-year-old fashioned his own costume and proceeded to follow the Detective as the Gumshoe.

For years, the teen shadowed his mentor. As he reached the curtain began to fall on his youth, however, the pair found themselves embroiled in a conspiracy involving several dignitaries from the United Nations, they crossed paths with Avi Shavit, a former Mossad agent turned mercenary. After besting the duo martially, Shavit proved himself to be a more than a physical roadblock by deciphering the Gumshoe’s identity. The Longs were taken captive, in an attempt to gain some leverage in halting the pair’s investigation. When Detective and Gumshoe persisted, Shavit did not hesitate to end the couple’s lives before their son’s eyes.

Enraged, Gumshoe pilfered a gun from one of Shavit’s fallen cohorts and used it to fire repeatedly into the mercenary’s chest, seemingly killing the man. The violent deed created a rift between Detective and Gumshoe, however, and brought their partnership to an end.
  • STR 13 (+1), DEX 15 (+2), CON 13 (+1), INT 16 (+3), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 13 (+1)

SKILLS: Bluff 4 (+5), Climb 4 (+5), Disable Device 4 (+7), Drive 4 (+6), Escape Artist 4 (+6), Investigate 4 (+7), Knowledge (business) 4 (+7), Knowledge (civics) 4 (+7), Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+7), Notice 4 (+6), Search 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+6), Stealth 4 (+6), Swim 4 (+5)

FEATS: Accurate Attack, Attack Focus 2 (ranged), Attack Specialization 1 (bolos), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Dodge Focus 4, Equipment 6, Evasion 1, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 1, Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Improved Trip, Precise Shot 1, Quick Draw 1, Set-up, Stunning Attack, Teamwork 1, Uncanny Dodge 1 (hearing)

POWERS: none

Equipment: costume (as armored jumpsuit, camo clothing), handcuffs, motorcycle, multi-tool, utility belt (bolos [Snare 4], flashbang [Dazzle Visual 4], taser [Stun 5])—3 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +4 (+6 ranged, +8 bolos), Grapple +5, Damage +1, Defense +8 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -4 (-1 flat-footed), Initiative +6

SAVES: Toughness +8 (+4 flat-footed), Fortitude +3, Reflex +8, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS: Secret (Identity), Temper

Abilities 24 + Skills 14 (56 ranks) + Feats 31 + Powers 0 + Combat 16 + Saves 10 = 95 points

NEW VINDICATORS: radix malorum est cupiditas—Still obsessed with pursuing justice, Gumshoe joined the police department and spent the next few years employing the skills he had learned fighting alongside the Detective to become a detective himself.

He married a woman and helped raise her two boys, John and Jack Olsen. Unbeknownst to him, John Olsen was a Neo-Sapien with pyrokinetic abilities. His lack of control ultimately resulted in the deaths of the young man, his mother and Mortimer Bedford—the catalyst for his father’s forming of the Church of Genetic Purity and the anti-Neo-Sapien platform his mother took in the senate.

Detective John Long continued to raise his surviving step-son, Jack, as best he could. The elder boy’s death had softened his heart to the plight of Neo-Sapiens, however: when he encountered an apparently newly-manifested Neo-Sapien, he put Drew Jenkins in contact with the New Vindicators Academy of America using contacts made during the few adventures he and the Detective had had with the group.

Not long after, Detective Long was contacted by his old partner who revealed that he had deduced the identity of the armored vigilante Portal. Though the Detective thought his former sidekick would be an appropriate mentor to the teenaged David Meinstein, Detective Long declined. Months later, he encountered David during the White War. Stripped of his armor and still determined to fight, David accepted the man’s offer of his old equipment and temporarily became the second Gumshoe.

NEW VINDICATORS: absit omen—Following the power vacuum created in the wake of the Wisent’s arrest and Detective’s death in Germany, Detective Long watched as his step-son, Jack Olsen, became the second Detective.
  • STR 14 (+2), DEX 15 (+2), CON 14 (+2), INT 16 (+3), WIS 15 (+2), CHA 14 (+2)

SKILLS: Bluff 6 (+8), Climb 4 (+6), Diplomacy 4 (+6), Disable Device 4 (+7), Drive 6 (+8), Escape Artist 4 (+6), Gather Information 4 (+6), Intimidate 2 (+4), Investigate 6 (+9), Knowledge (business) 4 (+7), Knowledge (civics) 4 (+7), Knowledge (current events) 2 (+5), Knowledge (streetwise) 6 (+9), Medicine 2 (+4), Notice 8 (+10), Profession (police officer) 4 (+6), Search 4 (+7), Sense Motive 8 (+10), Stealth 4 (+6), Swim 6 (+8)

FEATS: Accurate Attack, Attack Focus 2 (ranged), Attack Specialization 1 (bolos), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Dodge Focus 4, Equipment 6, Evasion 1, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 1, Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Improved Trip, Improvised Tools, Precise Shot 1, Quick Draw 1, Set-up, Stunning Attack, Teamwork 1, Uncanny Dodge 1 (hearing), Well-Informed

POWERS: none

Equipment: cell phone (as cell phone and camera), concealable vest (+3 Toughness), handcuffs, light-pistol (+3 damage), police cruiser, stun gun (Stun 7), tonfa (+1 damage)

COMBAT: Attack +4 (+6 ranged, +8 bolos), Grapple +6, Damage +2 (+3 tonfa/light-pistol), Defense +8 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -4 (-1 flat-footed), Initiative +6

SAVES: Toughness +9 (+5 flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +9, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS: Secret (Detective’s Indentity)

Abilities 28 + Skills 23 (92 ranks) + Feats 35 + Powers 0 + Combat 16 + Saves 13 = 115 points
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

New Vindicators, Chapter 1146

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:28 am

Chapter XLVI: The Streetbeater
The Theurgist tripped as he ran through the halls of the temple. Chienne paused long enough for him to make it to his feet; when he rose once more, she nodded and continued to chase the light bobbing down the tunnel.

Sounds of battle reached their ears and the couple darted forward. As they spilled into the melee they found the source of light—Solar Flare—and watched as their teammates worked to deal with a small phalanx of cybernetic ducks in samurai armor in cramped quarters.

Lodestone and Dipole kept the foot soldiers from reaching them; so long as the Ducktron soldiers wore that metal armor, they had no hope of engaging the New Vindicators in melee.

On the frontline, Sentry and Phaeton knelt below Solar Flare and Coulomb—all four unleashed streams of energy—white hot light, ionized gas and raw electricity—for their foes. In no time, they made short work of the soldiers and a bad taste in the Theurgist’s mouth. The more he watched his teammates fight, the more convinced he was that he did not belong in the same class that they did. After all, he was only here because he took advantage of their situation. He had only brought down Orencio, Agatha and Raanan—two freshmen and a sophomore who insisted that his powers were all but worthless in combat. He had turned invisible and ambushed Orencio from behind, then used a simple growth spell to match the equally-inexperienced Agatha’s strength and power.

The others all moved so fluidly—they did not stop to think about what they had to do but acted as needed. For them, using their powers was a reflex. For the Theurgist, it was about recall and making decisions—choosing what spell best suited the situation. It was not a handicap all mages faced: on the occasions when he had been allowed to journey with his father on an adventure, he had watch the man cast responsively. Whatever dangers the elder Carlyle faced, he met it with just the right spell instinctively.

The Theurgist watched as the New Vindicators filled the hall with unmoving bodies and saw his dreams of becoming the Aurelius felled with their foes.

The young heroes pushed forward and behind the soldiers was a foyer set before two massive, ornate stone doors. “Here’s to hoping the climax is on the other side,” Lodestone said before turning to Prompt. “Knock and see if anyone’s home.”

The dark-headed girl telekinetically opened the doors, exposing a spherical chamber, half-filled with water. The room was dimly lit; only the light from a distant nebula—seen through the great, glass dome overhead—lit the room. Still, Solar Flare’s presence bathed their group in light and exposed the only floor: a narrow bridge, whose hewn stone surface was wet from the pools that flanked it, stretched from the entrance to a dais in the heart of the room.

There, they could make out the silhouette of a man standing in what looked like a bubble. “Hello?” Lodestone called out. He took a step into the room and slowly, the New Vindicators followed him towards the man in the bubble. “We’re looking for…” He shrugged. “Honestly, I have no idea what we’re looking for—a way out of this idiot movie would be nice.”

“You’ve come such a long way,” the man in the bubble declared. “I assume you’ve come for the relic Wayne Coyne protected with his very life?”

“No,” Lodestone said dryly. “You can keep it. We just want to go home.”

It seemed as though the man in the bubble had not heard them. “Know this,” he said, “the power I possess is intoxicating; I have no intention of giving up the Blog Sphere.”

“We really couldn’t care less,” Lodestone said, idly making his way down the bridge to the man. “Look, if we can just get pointed to an exit…”

The Emperor of Ducktron turned then and the young heroes’ gaze fell on a man whose skull was capped with a neatly parted crop of dark brown hair and whose face was covered in a short beard. Of average build, he looked to be in his late-thirties.

Wil Wheaton fixed the New Vindicators with a baleful glare. “Prepare to make a Wil Save,” he growled.
Elemenoh P. Quarez wrote:NOR’EASTER (Power Level 8)
Aliases: Paul Livingston, Barry
Height / Weight: 6’0” / 164 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Strawberry-blonde / Blue
Place of Birth: Unrevealed; presumed to be Australia (Apprx. 1985)
First Appearance: Vindicators #674

Relationships: Joseph Gladstone (father), Alicia Gladstone (half-sister), Daniel Meinstein / Blitzkrieg (best-friend), Breanne Jordan / Rift (friend), Mary Young / Ambrossia (friend), Brian Hart / Bogart (friend), Benjamin Altair / Frostbite (brother-in-law), Neige Altair (niece), Margaret Altair (niece), Alan Joseph “A.J.” Altair (nephew)

Biography: In September of 2001, the Vindicators VII disbanded. The youngest member of their group—the sixteen-year-old Rift—was publicly known. Realizing that a normal high school existence was something beyond her grasp, the Department of SPB Affairs elected to establish a school for Neo-Sapiens and thus, the New Vindicators Academy was founded.

Of those few enrolled was a young man who went by Nor’easter. The young man attracted the attention of the Department of SPB Affairs when he stopped an armed robber in Halifax, Nova Scotia. At first, the local authorities assumed he was the next to bear the mantle of Captain Canada; the boy, who spoke with an Australian accent, claimed to have never met any member of the dynasty of weather-manipulating, Canadian super-heroes.

Though he was enrolled under the name Paul Livingston, Nor’easter later admitted to his classmates that it was a fake name that he gave the Department of SPB Affairs. Even though Nor’easter came to think of his classmates as his family, he never trusted them with his name—with Blitzkrieg (another member of their graduating class who never revealed his real name) pointing out that knowing his real name wouldn’t change how they felt about him. It was Ambrosia who bestowed the name Barry upon the youth—a name that only his closest friends used.

In 2003, Nor’easter graduated from the New Vindicators Academy, along with Rift, Blitzkrieg, Ambrosia and Nor’easter. After graduation, the five seemed to drift apart—apparently thanks to sexual tension: Nor’easter had feelings for Ambrosia who was infatuated with Blitzkrieg; the speedster was in love with Rift who carried a torch for her former teammate, the Vindicator Godai.

NEW VINDICATORS: radix malorum est cupiditas—Shortly after Katie Merrick had been attacked, Nor’easter appeared in New York. He advised one of the new students of his alma mater on how to better employ his abilities and exposed himself as an agent of the Affiliation. Though it is believed that Nor’easter played a part in Katie’s abduction, he was not seen on any of the battlefields of the White War…

NEW VINDICATORS: extrema resolute—Shhh! It's a secret!

THE AFFILIATION: ira deorum—Shhh! It's a secret!
  • STR 14 (+2), DEX 15 (+2), CON 14 (+2), INT 10, WIS 16 (+3), CHA 12 (+1)

SKILLS: Acrobatics 5 (+7), Concentration 4 (+7), Knowledge (earth sciences) 6, Notice 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+7), Swim 5 (+7), Survival 4 (+7)

FEATS: Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Focus 2 (ranged), Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 1, Improved Initiative 1, Teamwork 1, Uncanny Dodge 1 (hearing)

POWERS: Flight 4 (100 MPH; Flaws: Gliding [-1]), Immunity 5 (weather effects), Weather Control 10 (cold; Dynamic Alternate Powers: Air Control [Alternate Powers: Blast], Environmental Control [driving rain; distraction {DC 15}], Environmental Control [extreme cold], Environmental Control [black ice; hamper movement {one-quarter}], Fatigue [frostbite; Extras: Area {Burst, +1}], Obscure [roaring blizzard; auditory and visual]; Extras: Wide [+1])

Equipment: cell phone, leather jacket (+1 Toughness)

COMBAT: Attack +4 (+6 ranged), Grapple +4, Damage +2, Defensive +6 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -3 (-2 flat-footed), Initiative +6

SAVES: Toughness +5 (+3 flat-footed), Fortitude +4, Reflex +8, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS: Prejudice (SPB), Secret (Gladstone Dynasty, Dissenters)

Abilities 21 + Skills 8 (32 ranks) + Feats 13 + Powers 52 + Combat 16 + Saves 10 = 120 points

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

New Vindicators, Chapter 1147

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:34 am

Chapter XLVII: Stand By Me
Wil Wheaton charged for the New Vindicators and Lodestone rolled his eyes. “We don’t want your damn sphere!” he spat.

There was no reasoning with Wil Wheaton though: as he had said, he was intoxicated by the power the Blog Sphere provided him with. The presence of intruders—ambassadors of Ducktron’s most hated enemies—rendered the actor deaf to their reasoning. Where they came hoping to broker peace and return home, he saw only usurpers. Still inside the giant bubble, Wil Wheaton crashed into Lodestone, knocked the man onto his back and proceeded to roll over him.

“Wesley Crush!” Wil Wheaton intoned in a faux-Hulk voice. As he continued his charge towards the other heroes, he hastily added, “…Er!”

Emerald flames crackled in Maalik’s eyes as he pushed through to the front line. “I’ve got this!” he boasted as he flexed his arms. Before Wil Wheaton could reach him, a giant duck-billed platypus erupted out of the pool of water, lunged for Maalik and carried him down into the depths.

“What the hell!?!” Phaeton exclaimed as she took flight with Solar Flare, Prompt and Dipole. On the bridge, Torrent was arming himself with as much of the chamber’s water as he could wield while Kudzu adopted a prickly appearance reminiscent of a cactus. Behind them, Sentry’s arm unfolded and his cannon was trained on the threat rampaging towards them. Coulomb and the Cold Detective stood by him helplessly; without an electrical current to read, Coulomb was effectively blind and the Cold Detective had no means of fighting from a distance.

Chienne pushed her way to the head of the line and hurled kinetic force at the orb speeding towards them. Though she had succeeded in knocking Wil Wheaton off of his intended course, he failed to sink; rather, the bubble he was encased in allowed him to tread water. As Wil Wheaton began to curve his course around the circular chamber, the Theurgist realized that he was not only charging for them but was doing so with the converted momentum Chienne had provided him with.

Whether or not the Nephilim had registered her attack feeding him with more speed and power, the magus knew not: he simply watched her turn towards the teenagers clustered behind her and hurriedly bark out orders. “Torrent, go after Maalik,” she snapped over her shoulder. “Once they’re clear, Coloumb can sent a jolt through the water—take out that thing before it can pull anyone else into the water!” As Torrent lunged into the water after the whale-sized platypus, Chienne’s flaming gaze shifted towards the ceiling. “I can’t grab the bubble magnetically but maybe you can telekinetically hold him, Prompt!”

As soon as the words left the teacher’s mouth, the Theurgist watched as the bubble started to rise up from the surface of the water. Undaunted, Wil Wheaton continued to run forward and the orb’s violent spinning allowed him to break free of the senior’s invisible grasp. “He’s too hard to hold!” Prompt declared as the bubble dropped back onto the water’s surface.

“Maybe so,” Kudzu said, “but it seems to have absorbed some of his momentum…” The short girl looked to their teacher with a determined look. “Throw me at him.”

Chienne didn’t question it: she looked to the Filipino girl, registered the long, thin spines jutting from her green-tinged flesh, and nodded. “Brace yourself,” she said, stepping around the sophomore so that the shorter girl was between her and the charging bubble.

“Go!” Kudzu proclaimed. An eruption of kinetic force flung Kudzu’s light body forward, shooting her from the bridge and straight towards Wil Wheaton. The magus in their midst watched in awe as his junior threatened to pop the bubble that proved so problematic. With bated breath, the Theurgist watched as Kudzu slammed harmlessly against the bubble, was flung aside by the collision. Though the impact slowed Wil Wheaton down some, his charge still continued…

As he closed in on the grounded heroes, he was pelted by their attacks: Dipole had emptied the pouches supported on his belt of every jagged piece of metal he had while Sentry and Solar Flare hammered at the orb with twin beams of white-hot light. A stream of plasma rained down from Phaeton’s arms and yet still the New Vindicators hadn’t made a scratch in the globe surrounding Wil Wheaton.

The giant platypus exploded from out of the water and slammed into the bubble. Torrent and an out-of-breath Maalik emerged from the depths. The Theurgist’s jaw dropped as he watched Torrent wield the pool like a living weapon—pushing the platypus into the bubble and blocking Wil Wheaton’s charge at every turn.

“Get out of the water!” the Cold Detective snapped at the two sophomore boys. Maalik looked to the bridge and saw the youth removing his fedora and trench coat. Immediately, the Nephilim knew what the senior was planning.

“We need to get out of the water, John!” he exclaimed. “Gregaro’s gonna freeze it!”

“Perfect,” Torrent said, grinning deviously as he commanded the pool to eject the pair backwards and towards the bridge. Prompt was ready for them and telekinetically grabbed them in midair, guiding them safely back to the platform.

Torrent threw his arms forward and swept the pool up in a massive wave. As it threatened to come crashing down atop Wil Wheaton, the Cold Detective lunged towards the wall of water. The extreme cold that his body perpetually produced began to freeze it almost on contact—just as the platypus was breaking through the wave.

The boy was left suspended in the frozen wave—as he became immersed in the water, his powers caused it to freeze around him. The monstrous platypus’ head and one of its forelimbs jutted from the ice while Wil Wheaton and his sphere were completely entombed.

The sight of it all only served to dishearten the Theurgist even more. Not only had they each made him feel so outclassed on the way to this battle but now they demonstrated how well they all worked together. The synergy that Solar Flare and Sentry had with each other, coupled with the way Chienne and Kudzu had read each other’s intentions; how Torrent had trusted Prompt to respond to catch him and how well he worked with the Cold Detective… They were all a team and the Theurgist knew, just watching them, that he had no place amongst them.

He knew that he had nothing to offer the New Vindicators.

“Now can we go home!?!” Lodestone demanded, glaring up at the glass dome.

Right on cue, the ice began to crack. The partially-imprisoned platypus’ thrashing tore apart the newly forged prison—freeing itself and its master. “You had to ask!” bellowed Maalik as he dove out of the path of Wil Wheaton’s charge.

The Theurgist sighed and shook his head as he watched his teammates continue the battle. Despite how powerful they each were—despite how well they used their powers and how well they worked with each other—they were unable to triumph over this one enemy. “There has to be a way…” the magus muttered hopelessly. “There has to be a way to beat him…”

Wil Wheaton’s charge pierced the aquatic shield Torrent had summoned, knocked the young hero off of the narrow bridge and forced the boy to join Coulomb in the frigid waters. Phaeton hovered above the chucks of ice, trying her best to melt it away without harming the Cold Detective. Sentry was trying to help expedite her attempts but ultimately found himself to be the next target of the charging sphere. As Sentry tumbled off of the bridge and into the ice-cold waters, the magus watched the orb ricocheting towards him. He knew he was going to be the next one struck and knew he had only one chance… He had enough time to cast a single spell—he couldn’t waste the time mulling over which incantation in his arcane repertoire was best suited for the circumstances: he just had to cast something…

Suddenly, the Theurgist began sweeping his hands and arms through the air in an intricate pattern. “Ledo lenerg!” he shouted, throwing out his arms just as the bubble crashed into him. His palms fell on the bubble and his mind instantly began to take in Wil Wheaton’s life story.

The others had hit Wil Wheaton with everything they had and none of them had been able to pierce the bubble that surrounded him. Lodestone had tried to talk their way out of fighting him since the moment they first entered the throne room. There was no reasoning with the bearded man and no stopping the power he wielded. The Theurgist knew that there had to be a way to beat him.

He just needed an answer…

Calling upon one of the few divination spells he had bothered to learn, the Theurgist suddenly saw Wil Wheaton’s life play out before him. He sped past his childhood and slipped through his adolescence. Something caught his eye then: a young Wil Wheaton was training a gun on Jack Bauer—the man who had died in bringing them here…

Suddenly, he understood what they needed to do. The bubble rolled over his limp frame and the Theurgist looked to the partially-imprisoned Cold Detective. “Tell me you still have that hat!” he exclaimed.

“My hat?” the Cold Detective asked, confused by the strange question.

“Not your fedora!” the magus exclaimed. “The Yankees cap! The one Jack had! I saw you! You took it off of him after he died!”

“So?” asked a confused Phaeton. “What’s the point?”

“It’s Wil Wheaton’s hat!”

“Who?” Maalik asked as the sphere plowed into Kudzu.

The Theurgist sighed. “The guy we’re fighting. He’s an actor. Haven’t you ever seen Stand By Me?” He looked to the bridge where the senior had stripped off his own hat and coat and hurried to riffle through the youth’s pockets. Sure enough, his hands found the beat-up Yankees cap: the Cold Detective had rolled the bill and shoved it into the pocket of the coat that kept his powers in control.

“Mister Wheaton!” the magus exclaimed, waving his arms frantically as he waved the cap in the air. “We didn’t come here to take the Blog Sphere from you! We came to return what once was stolen!”

The sphere curved across the water and began to slow as the man inside saw the worn cap. “You… you have my hat…” he said.

Maalik was still in the water—resting his arms on the bridge. “Seriously?” he asked, seeing their opponent halt his rampage. Wil Wheaton was now walking across the pool; when he reached the bridge he planted himself before the Theurgist.

The transparent orb that surrounded him vanished.

“What the hell!?!” Torrent thundered. “That’s it!?! We just got our asses handed to us and all he wanted was a fuggin’ hat!?!”

“It belonged to John Cusack. He gave it to Wil Wheaton just before he died.”

“Wait, the guy from Say Anything is dead?” Phaeton asked.

“No, it was… it was in a movie. John Cusack played Wil Wheaton’s brother. He gave him his lucky Yankees cap before he died. Then Ace Merrill took it.”

Like most of his teammates, Solar Flare was looking at the Theurgist strangely. “Who’s Ace Merrill?”

“He was the character Kiefer Sutherland played in Stand By Me.”

“Who’s Kiefer Sutherland?” the Cold Detective asked as he tied the belt of his trench coat.

“Wait, what about the war?” Maalik asked. “I thought the ducks hated the rabbits or something?”

Wil Wheaton shook his head. “I don’t hate anyone… except for the weenies on Usenet.” He shrugged. “And Ace Merrill.” The bearded man slipped the cap on. “In any case, consider this war over. I’ll declare a ceasefire and the galaxy will know peace between Ducktron and Rabbitalia.”

“More importantly,” Lodestone said, breathing a sigh of relief, “we can finally go home.”
Elemenoh P. Quarez wrote:MANTICORE (Power Level 8)
Height / Weight: 6’0” / 180 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Dirty-blonde / Green
Place of Birth: London, England (March 21, 1993)
First Appearance: New Vindicators—European Academy #1

Physical Description: Lexus’s dirty-blonde hair is spiky and his skin is light brown; his eyes are as piercing as the fang-like teeth that fill his mouth. In his youth, he was seldom seen without an arrogant, determined smile; since his expulsion from the school, his strong jaw has been locked in a serious scowl.

Lexus wears a black, winter coat with a hood trimmed in white fur. A white ‘V’ slashes over his shoulders and down his chest. He wears loose-fitting black jeans and open-toed shoes.

Biography: Tevfik Rauf and Elena Vogel both passed on their Neo-Sapien abilities to their son, Lexus. The Turkish Tevfik bestowed his ability to conjure a coat of poisonous spines over his body while his wife, the daughter of Richard Vogel (Lionheart), imbued her son with her father’s ability to transform into an anthropomorphic lion.

As Manticore, Lexus has the Neo-Sapien ability to transform into an anthropomorphic lion with a barbed tail that carries a potent toxin—abilities that made him a candidate for enrollment at the New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

On his first day of class, he met Cornelis Noteboom, a Neo-Sapien from the Netherlands. The two boys quickly became good friends and as the year continued, their friendship evolved into something more…

The night they decided to take their secret relationship further, they were discovered by the headmaster: Lexus’ grandfather, Richard Vogel…

Disapproving of their relationship, the headmaster planned to separate the boys. Feeling it would be a disservice to Cornelis to expel him, the man instead expelled his grandson from the school—notifying Lexus’ parents of what had happened and hoping that they would straighten him out…

NVAE: quaere verum—Lexus began to sneak back onto the campus, offering cryptic warnings to the newer students. Slowly, the boy’s involvement with a terrorist organization, Laputa, came into suspect. It was only when one student—Vlad Radikovich, Candyman—defected to Laputa’s camp that the truth came out: Lexus’ parents had joined the group and installed him into the organization as well. Lexus’ loyalty remained with the school; however, due to a psychic trigger implanted by Lacuna, Lexus risked being possessed by the villain if he directly exposed the society’s aims.
  • STR 15 [25] (+7), DEX 14 (+2), CON 15 [25] (+7), INT 10, WIS 14 (+2), CHA 10

SKILLS: Climb 0 (+12), Intimidate 4 (+8), Notice 4 (+10), Sense Motive 4 (+6), Stealth 0 (+6)

FEATS: Attack Focus 2 (melee), Benefit 1 (Status [Dynasty]), Dodge Focus 2, Fearless, Power Attack, Takedown Attack 2

POWERS: Container 17 (Lion Form; Additional Limbs 1 [prehensile tail], Enhanced Constitution 10, Enhanced Skills 4 (Climb 4, Intimidate 4, Notice 4, Stealth 4), Enhanced Strength 10, Leaping 2, Pain 4 [Extras: Aura {+1}, Duration {Sustained, +1}, Linked {Paralyze, +0}, Poison {+1}; Flaws: Range {Touch, -2}], Paralyze 4 [Extras: Aura {+1}, Duration {Sustained, +2}, Linked {Pain, +0}, Poison {+1}], Protection 3, Speed 2, Strike 3 [Power Feats: Mighty], Super-Movement 1 [Slow Fall], Super-Senses 2 [Additional Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent])

COMBAT: Attack +2 (+4 melee), Grapple +11, Damage +7 (+10 strike), Defense +4 (+1 flat-footed), Knockback -5, Initiative +2

SAVES: Toughness +10, Fortitude +13, Reflex +4, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS: Secrets

Abilities 18 + Skills 3 (12 ranks) + Feats 8 + Powers 85 + Combat 8 + Saves 10 = 137 points

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

New Vindicators, Chapter 1148

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:36 am

Chapter XLVIII: Finale: Hey, a Move!
“And… cut!” Elemenoh jumped out of his director’s chair wearing a white shirt with khaki pants; a tan ascot was tied around his neck and a plum beret capped his skull. Slipping his megaphone under his arm, he started to clap. “That’s a wrap, people! This thing is in the can!”

All around the New Vindicators, cameramen, key grips, lighting directors, stunt coordinators and everyone involved in making the movie—all Elemenoh—stopped what they were doing to join in applauding their efforts.

“Too bad I can’t actually show my movie,” Elemenoh admitted, shaking his head sadly. “I’ll have PETA all over me! Hard to put that ‘no animals were harmed in the making of this film’ tag on it given that you guys just beat the crap out of a giant duck-billed platypus! Those things don’t even exist! That’s like, one-hundred and thirty-seven times worse than being endangered!” With a sigh, Elemenoh stretched and yawned. The Theurgist looked around: the movie set was gone, as was the film crew. When he looked back to Elemenoh, the Cosmic Kender was garbed in his tunic and breeches once again. “That was fun but I’m kinda beat. I need to head home and get some rest. Got an early flight tomorrow—headed to Vienna.” He turned towards one of the walls of the Wreck Room—the one suddenly sporting an oversized Band-Aid on it—and winked. “It’s gonna be a brand new day, flynnarrel!”

“Well, I’d hate to see you inconvenienced,” Lodestone grumbled. “Don’t let the door hit you-”

“Where the Cosmic Kender split ya?” Elemenoh asked energetically.

Lodestone simply stared at Elemenoh strangely. “Whatever.”

Elemenoh nodded. “You know, Magnus, you should be careful what you wish for.”

Lodestone raised an eyebrow at their uninvited guest. “What’s that supposed to mean?” He followed Elemenoh’s mournful gaze towards the New Vindicators—he heard him sigh. “What are you talking about?”

Elemenoh simply shook his head and made his way for the doors. While Lodestone was more than happy to see him go, there was one of his charges who refused to things end like this: “Wait!” the Theurgist shouted. When Elemenoh gave pause and looked towards the magus patiently, the junior hurried to the Cosmic Kender’s side. “This… this wasn’t a Wreck Room exercise, was it?” the out-of-breath magus asked.

Elemenoh looked around at the walls and ceiling and floor of the Wreck Room. “We’re in the Wreck Room,” he stated. “I feel like I might have worked off that burrito I had for lunch—guess that counts as exercise…”

“That’s not what I meant. I… I need to know what you—who are you? How you can do all the things you…

“I need answers.”

Elemenoh nodded solemnly. “My legend begins in the twelfth century…” A confused expression slowly dawned over his face. “Or is that someone else’s line? I dunno—I get confused from time-to-time.

“Look, Solon… Sometimes, we don’t get all the answers. Sometimes we shouldn’t.” Solon was startled: it was not his first time hearing those words. “If life were like a movie—just a script we were all following—then we wouldn’t really give our best performances, would we? Not if we knew how the movie ended… I’m not saying that things are going to end badly, just that if we knew when the credits were going to roll, we might start getting ready to leave so we could beat the traffic.

“You want answers? I’ve got a great answer, but it’s to the question you’re not asking. I know you want to ask it, but you’re not. I’ll answer it anyway…” Solon started to cry; he knew what the question he wasn’t asking was. “There’s nothing wrong with you, Solon. You are not a disappointment. You are good enough. He doesn’t know what he’s missing… and neither do you…

“Live each moment like it’s your last, Solon. Stop comparing yourself to your dad or your teammates. Stop looking down on yourself and look up instead! Realize that you’re amazing—that no one could be a better you than you are—and start living life to the fullest!”

Solon couldn’t help but smile. “Life’s too short to worry, huh?” he asked.

Elemenoh grimaced and looked towards Solon’s teammates. “Unfortunately, you kids are about to have that lesson drilled into you the hard way…” When Solon raised an eyebrow at the cryptic statement, Elemenoh turned and began to walk away. “Well, I need to be off,” he exclaimed cheerily. “I should be back in…” He checked his wrist for a non-existent watch. “Thirty-two issues. Hard to believe you’ll have fought one of the Fallen by then…”

As he strode towards the exit, the doors opened wide. Blinding light and smoke poured out from the other side and Elemenoh behind him. “All right, To Be Continued Box,” he said as his silhouette was baptized in the haze, “it’s safe to come out now…”
To Be Continued... wrote:Whew!

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

New Vindicators, Chapter 1149

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:40 am

Chapter XLIX: Hey Man (Now You’re Really Living)
Solon Carlyle had what others might consider an unusual upbringing: for as far back as he could remember, he had grown up surrounded by the occult. While most children feared monsters under their bed or in their closet, Solon knew that Huldra were demons that lured men away in Norway and that Kelpie were phantom steeds that haunted Scottish lochs. While most children pretended to be comic book characters capable of astonishing feats, Solon was studying the mystical force that would imbue him with such a talent.

Solon had the sort of childhood other children only dream of but other children had what he could only dream of…

When he was thirteen-years-old, his teacher took him to Scotland. “You can’t take it with you,” Mister Ryeom told him, “but we leave more behind than our personal effects: when we die, we leave behind our stories—our lessons—for those who come behind us to learn from.”

The headstone belonged to Henry Carlyle and claimed that he had lived for eighty years: born in 1883, he passed in 1963. “In 1900, the Tharivol clan wanted to secure the title of the Aurelius for themselves. A war began and when the dust cleared, only seven mages still lived. Henry Carlyle was one of those wizards, Solon.

“The Aurelii family tree had dwindled and… in order to protect it, those seven set out to build big families. Henry returned to his home in Philadelphia and married a girl who grew up down the street from him. Henry and Mary had six kids together.”

Solon looked to the grave beside Henry’s; the name emblazoned on it was not Mary’s.

“In 1924, Henry left his home and never looked back. Thirty-nine years and five-thousand kilometers later and he died in the arms of another woman.”

Henry Carlyle—Solon’s grandfather’s grandfather—had left his family. Hearing his ancestor’s story, Henry wondered if this was something that ran in the family…

“She wasn’t a mage, was she?” Solon asked. “Mary, I mean. She didn’t know a thing about arcana.”

“No,” Mister Ryeom told him plainly.

“Was Laise?”

Mister Ryeom nodded. “Yes.”

Solon understood. “Do you think my dad ever heard this story? Did he know what Henry did?” He sniffled. He wanted to cry but wouldn’t do it in front of his teacher. “Did my dad learn the lesson Henry left behind?”

Mister Ryeom shrugged. “Who knows, Solon? Sometimes, we don’t get all the answers. Sometimes we shouldn’t.” He looked at Solon for a while. He watched him staring balefully at the tombstone standing before them. He watched as Solon’s clenched fists trembled with rage. “You hate him, don’t you?” he asked.
Solon didn’t know what to say. He was angry with him but he didn’t know if he hated him. “He hurt me and my mom,” Solon said slowly, as if puzzling out the answer. “He left us because he thought we were boring—that we weren’t part of this exciting world…”

“Is that why you came to me? Asked me to start teaching you magic?”

Solon shook his head. “I needed you to train me… so that I could become the Aurelius. I’m going to show him that I’m not boring! I’m going to make him realize that I’m a part of his world and then he’ll finally want to be a part of mine!”

The sound of the other New Vindicators storming through the Wreck Room’s exit shook Solon out of his stupor. His head whipped around and his expression made it seem like he was confused as to how he was not standing on a Scottish moor. “Coming, Kid Aurelius?” Mister Loder grumbled as he walked past him.

Solon grinned and hurried to catch up with his teammates. In the hall, the non-powered students were waiting for the pair of teachers; they had been dismissed before the battle—before Elemenoh’s arrival—and had been told to await their turn with the educators. Some of them were sitting on the cold, metal floor of the hall; others leaned against the walls. Solon’s eyes panned over them—for some reason, Raanan was there—before falling on Mindy Dawson…

Mindy Dawson was a freshman whom the wizard had a small crush on. Tall and a little awkward, she never wore makeup and her hair was perpetually pulled into a tight ponytail. She wore a wide smile under her turned-up nose and was almost always seen in a pair of Bermuda shorts and a T-shirt. “Dude?” he vaguely detected Raanan asking. “What happened to you guys?”

Solon said nothing. He simply moved past the Filipino boy and strode up to the girl. “Sorry for keeping you all.” Solon followed her gaze up to Mister Loder. “We’re not really feeling well so, the Beginner’s Class is excused for today. We’ll meet here tomorrow morning…”

As the others filed out, Mindy looked to Solon. “So, what happened in there?” she asked him. Solon spun back around and seemed suddenly surprised that she would talk to him. “Most of the powered kids came out grumbling and then your group looked like you’d just seen a ghost…”

Solon couldn’t help but grin. “It’s kind of a long story,” he told her. Elemenoh’s voice echoed in his head, telling him that he was good enough and reminding him to live life to its fullest. It was time to start doing just that… “You, uh… wanna head into town and hear all about it over some dinner?”

Her eyes widened a bit. “What?” she asked. “Like… a date?”

His heart raced and he kicked himself for even suggesting it. “Yeah,” he timidly admitted. He was ready to slunk away and begin avoiding her for the next two years.

“You’re asking me out?”

He closed his eyes tightly. “Yeah,” he muttered, turning away. “Sorry.”

She grabbed his arm and Solon opened his eyes as he turned around. He saw her smiling dopily at him. “No one’s ever asked me out before.”

Solon grinned just as dopily. “I’ve never asked anyone out before. I mean, I made out with this girl I picked up in this club but I was kind of drunk…” His eyes bulged. “I wish I hadn’t told you that…”

Mindy giggled. “Is that another long story?”

Solon nodded and began to walk Mindy back towards the elevators. “And only about half as weird as what just happened in there…”
To Be Continued... wrote:Raanan makes a lot of people very happy...

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

New Vindicators, Chapter 1150

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:42 am

Chapter L: The Ego’s Last Stand
For the first time since its doors opened, the New Vindicators Academy of America hosted non-powered students. These young people simply shared a genome with a known Neo-Sapien; when Black Box raided the school last year, they took their records and used them to map out family trees for anyone ever associated with the campus. Innocent people had been abducted from their homes for the slight possibility that they could manifest Neo-Sapien abilities. The numbers branded in their arms could make them potential targets for the sort of persecution that still existed in the world. It was for that reason that Magnus Loder and Chienne Bedford were determined to teach them to defend themselves. The Beginner’s Class was intended to teach the non-powered students the basics of self-defense.

The rest engaged in a free-for-all designed to let their instructors gage how competent they were with their abilities. Those who needed more work were funneled into the Intermediate Class while those who showed themselves to be of a higher caliber were placed into the Advanced Class.

Raanan Lumanta hated that he had been placed in the Intermediate Class. In his eyes, the Intermediate Class was where they were shuffling the students inexperienced with their abilities. He had experience. Maybe he wasn’t capable of burning holes through his enemies or making their heads explode with a dirty look, but he saw himself as having mastered what he had. To say that he resented their decision was an understatement. Still, he considered it a mere oversight and after he and the others who hadn’t made the cut into the Advanced Class were excused, he waited in the halls with the Beginner’s Class.

A few minutes later, the doors opened and the Advanced Class came meandering out. Some of them seemed almost like zombies: they shambled out with lifeless expressions smeared on their face; others looked almost annoyed. Solon looked positively terrified: he froze almost as soon as he walked through the doors. “Dude?” Raanan asked. “What happened to you guys?”

It was as if Solon hadn’t heard him: the magus gulped and began to walk past the Filipino youth. Raanan watched him nervously approach one of the non-powered students. Before he could question it any further, their instructors came out. “Sorry for keeping you all,” Mister Loder said. “We’re not really feeling well so, the Beginner’s Class is excused for today. We’ll meet here tomorrow morning…”

As the students slipped away, Raanan planted himself in front of the pair. “Not now, kid,” Mister Loder grumbled. “I need to take up drinking.”

“I just wanted to talk to you—try to make you reconsider the decision to put me in-”

“Not now!” Mister Loder snapped at Raanan. He thrust his way past him and continued his march towards the elevator.

Miss Bedford sighed dejectedly. “We had sort of a rough session,” she said.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Raanan said, grinning dopily at her. “Maybe we could head into the city and you could tell me all about it? I know a delightful little sushi bar…” He cut off when she started laughing. “What?” he asked.

The blonde woman patted the short boy on the head. Speechless, Raanan watched as she walked away, shaking her head and chuckling all the way. Then his eyes caught Solon walking one of the non-powered girls down the hall. The boy swore and stormed off down a side hallway which he had taken it upon himself to spruce up with a potted plant just big enough for him to transmit himself through.

Touching the plant he avoided the lines at the elevator and immediately made a beeline for the headmaster’s office. Here, he intended to lodge a formal protest and here, he was ejected by the agitated man just moments after he invited himself in. Though his ire had been evoked by his placement in the intermediate class, he knew better than to bicker about something so petty. Instead, he elected to make his argument one that he had been placed in danger. Still, when Doctor Howell pointed out that safety measures were in place to ensure no one was seriously injured in the Wreck Room, Raanan resorted to what his father called the great diplomat: bribery.

“Fine!” he thundered, once he had been pushed out of the man’s office. “Five banana trees!”

Doctor Howell slammed his door and Raanan glared at the frosted glass. “Stupid Doctor Monkey-Man,” he grumbled as he skulked down the hall. “Doesn’t know a good deal when he sees one…”

En route to the nearest ficus Raanan ran into Carl, his girlfriend and Gideon. “Hey!” he said energetically, swapping his scowl for an excited expression. “I’m just coming back from Doctor Monkey-Man’s office! Turns out there was a small error and I’m on your team after all!” He smiled at them. “Bet that’s a load off of your minds, huh?”

So close to Candace Strange, they had no choice but to truthfully answer Raanan’s rhetorical question. “Actually,” Carl said, “I was kind of glad that you were placed in the other class.”

“You’re best taken in small doses,” Gideon said.

Raanan glared at the trio. “Yeah, well… she’s flat-chested!” he snapped, storming off before either of them could hit him with a beam of white-hot retaliation.

He was tired of it. His only friend was Max and ever since Jude’s expulsion, he had been calling himself Lucas and hanging out in the library with the other Lumanta. Despite all of his charisma and cash, he didn’t have a girlfriend while guys like Carl and Solon apparently did. Mister Loder put him in what he saw as the Special Education class; Miss Bedford had laughed off his attempt to pick her up; the headmaster only got angry when he tried to buy his favor—he was tired of no one taking him seriously or giving him the respect he felt he was owed!

Transmitting back to his room, he rummaged around Gage’s possessions for some paper and a pen. “I’ll show them,” he growled as he bit into the cap and tugged the writing utensil free. “They won’t know what to do without me! See how long it takes them to come looking for me when they think I’m gone for good!”

He looked down at the message he had scribbled:
  • You can all go screw yourselves!
    Goodbye,
    ~Raanan
“See how they treat me when I decide to come back!” Raanan boasted as he took the letter in his hands and walked it towards the door. Opening the door to the hall, he caused only a small handful of students to pause as he taped his message to the outside and then slammed it shut.

Raanan walked over to the plant he kept in the corner and used it as a medium to transport himself instantly from his dorm room on Roosevelt Island to one of his apartments in SoHo. “Teach them not to take me seriously!” he laughed as he crossed the cozy living room to where his tiger-hide couch rested on a white, shag rug before an enormous flat-panel television.

Sitting down on his legs, Raanan stretched his small body over the arm of the sofa—which jutted out into a stuffed tiger’s head—for the end table made from Jenga pieces. Atop it’s glued-together surface was the leg lamp from A Christmas Story, a bottle of Courvoisier and a pair of drinking glasses. He filled both glasses and raised them to the crushed velvet painting of Magic Johnson high-fiving Pablo Escobar.

After drinking both of the glasses, Raanan reached for the remote control. “I knew if I waited long enough, you’d come back.” The youth turned and took in the sight of the lone man making his way into the living room. “This is… some place you have here, Mister Lumanta.”

Raanan eyed the dark-haired man warily. “You a cop?” he asked. “‘Cause you have to tell me if you are!”

“No, I’m not and… no, they don’t. I’m an entrepreneur, Raanan—just like you.” He reached into the pocket of his jacket and produced one of Raanan’s business cards. “One of my old buyers gave me this—said they found some kid who was cheaper…”

“What can I say?” Raanan laughed nervously. “I cut out the middlemen and deliver-”

“You’re a Neo-Sapien.”

Raanan stopped laughing. “That’s crazy talk, man.”

The man shrugged. “I was wondering how you did it—how you can undercut me by so much. Now I know: you’re a Neo-Sapien and your powers help you to… cultivate your product. You know, originally I was just going to beat you up a little—tear up your place, drink your booze—and tell you to stop trying to cut in on my business.” Raanan gulped; he had suspected as much as soon as he knew the sort of person he was dealing with. “Now that I know how you do it though, I’m thinking I’d much rather have your power working for me…”

Raanan ran for it. The teenager jumped from his couch and ran for the nearest plant. He dove for it—he knocked it to the floor but his hands fell on its branches.

He didn’t go anywhere.

The man with the black hair, in the black jacket, strode over to Raanan casually. “Okay!” Raanan exclaimed. “I’ll do whatever you want! I’ll work for you, just… just don’t hurt me!”

The man chuckled. “You seem to have misheard me,” he said. “I didn’t say that I wanted you to work for me…” Suddenly, the plant began to grow and wind its elongated branches around Raanan’s wrists and neck. “I said I want your powers working for me.”

Raanan choked for breath. “Who—who are you?” he asked.

The man grinned viciously at him. “My name is Bogart,” he growled, “and you’re my ticket back to the top!”
To Be Continued... wrote:Doctor Colbenson heads to Patriot Robotics for help...

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Six New Chapters

Post by flynnarrel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Ack, he did it again! Like his beady digital eyes are following me. And if he's read my Brand New Day game we're all in trouble. Uhg....

Darn little alphabet guy.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:19 pm

flynnarrel wrote:Ack, he did it again! Like his beady digital eyes are following me. And if he's read my Brand New Day game we're all in trouble. Uhg....

Darn little alphabet guy.
Wasn't Arkrite in that game too? Huh... Probably nothing.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Dang it! Ark, prepare to be purple again.

Though Lex *does* already seem to have the ability to make people hate him. Just sayin'.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:43 pm

SSHHH!
Quiet Flynn, or people will make me pay points for that power ;~)

Come to think of it he also has electricity and regeneration too... huh... weird.

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Manintights » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:10 am

Awesome!!

I truly hope Raanaan gets hurt, badly. Bogart is one of the cooler villains in your universe and I love that he's resurfaced after the zoo incident. Here's to hoping his sister will be heard of sooner or later.

Great build for Nor'easter by the way.

MIT
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

New Vindicators: [Gae Bolg]

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:24 pm

Soooo, Bogart is going to steal Ranaan's powers, then kill him. Tragedy that. Maybe Razi can grow a new one...like a potted ( :P ) plant.

And...Elemenoh is going to come after Martin and Lex using the plotline from flynn's game that Arkrite played (plays?) in. Ouch. I don't suppose it'd be too much to ask to leave the rest of us out of it? No? I hate Kender.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Manintights wrote:I truly hope Raanaan gets hurt, badly. Bogart is one of the cooler villains in your universe and I love that he's resurfaced after the zoo incident. Here's to hoping his sister will be heard of sooner or later.
Michuru81 wrote:Elemenoh nodded. “You know, Magnus, you should be careful what you wish for.”
'Nuff said.
Horsenhero wrote:Soooo, Bogart is going to steal Ranaan's powers, then kill him. Tragedy that. Maybe Razi can grow a new one...like a potted ( :P ) plant.
Huh... well, there's a couple of deaths lined up in the coming chapters... Before New Vindicators #106 is over, four characters will meet their respective ends...
Horsenhero wrote:And...Elemenoh is going to come after Martin and Lex using the plotline from flynn's game that Arkrite played (plays?) in. Ouch. I don't suppose it'd be too much to ask to leave the rest of us out of it? No? I hate Kender.
Plot? No. Genre? Possibly...

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Great bunch of chapters, Mich. And thanks a bunch for the stats. Lexus is really cool, he's got two neat power sets that work well together.