The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Gazman
Hero
Hero

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by Gazman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Libra wrote:Here's a surreal thought that recently occurred to me - Bruce Wayne's public persona should basically be Adam West's Batman without a mask: A slightly-camp crusader with a highly distinctive speech pattern, good-natured manner, along with a knack for taking himself EXTREMELY seriously (especially when no-one else does, since he's in on the joke) and finding himself in truly surreal situations.

Yes, this means Bruce Wayne is a special deputy of the GCPD - he has also danced THE BATUSI in full view of God and Youtube, which means that every single soul who has seen that particular video will never, EVER be able to take the idea that Bruce Wayne is Batman at all seriously.

Even Ra's al-Ghul and Hugo Strange wondered how they managed to deduce that 'The Gotham Goliath' was actually Batman after seeing that one ...
This isn't surreal, this is brilliant and hilarious.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Excellent! :wink:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Och! - I just realised that I've posted my article on Bizarro before it was properly ready. :roll:

(Still at least I don't have to worry about anyone reading it ... mabye).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Random Rant Time!
The true villains of the DC (and Marvel) setting are the writers and editors. Their eldritch touch will ensure a setting forever dominated by heroes and villains that never die, surrounded by people are little more than chits for them to fight over. Except that doesn't make the important people better off. The heroes are always suffering, and the villains are always getting foiled. The editorial demands that long term large scale comic book settings require results in a setting that is basically laced with lovecraftian existential horror, in addition to just vanilla horror. Except that instead of Yog Sothoth or Nyarlathotep, you have... beings like Joe Quesada.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm not sure that this is the best thread for such a discussion, although I am reminded that this thread needs more attention - I'll need to see if I can come up with any articles worthy of it. :wink:

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Please do.

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 pm

As I said, I would like to do something, but am in the middle of another project at the moment - so it might take me a while to work up something! :D

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by JetstreamGW » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Libra wrote:I'm not sure that this is the best thread for such a discussion, although I am reminded that this thread needs more attention - I'll need to see if I can come up with any articles worthy of it. :wink:
Combined DCU/Marvel Universe thread is best thread.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:07 pm

It's certainly in the Top 10! :wink:

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Well, the whole Settings sub-forum is basically the Charles Phipps and Libra Show.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:37 pm

... I can quite decide whether to smile at the compliment or warn you that Crinos will probably be along to tar and feather you in a minute.

Oh what the heck, I'll do both! :mrgreen:

(Consider yourself duly warned. :wink: ).

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by JetstreamGW » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Libra wrote:... I can quite decide whether to smile at the compliment or warn you that Crinos will probably be along to tar and feather you in a minute.

Oh what the heck, I'll do both! :mrgreen:

(Consider yourself duly warned. :wink: ).
Feh! Nobody need fear Crinos. Hispo is more powerful! ;)

... God, I'm embarrassing myself with nerdity here.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:46 am

Don't be - I got the reference too. :wink:

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Star City

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Somewhere north of San Francisco and just south of Seattle, not too far from Coast City and just half an hour up the road from Platinum Flats, Star City is currently living through times that can only be called 'Interesting' - if only because any other accurate description would be unprintably vulgar, albeit quite probably even more accurate.

While this isn't the first and probably can't even be called the worst bout of hard times to come Star City's way over the years, given that 'only' a third of the city has been savaged, which leaves more than enough of it's substance to maintain most civil functions of civic life (with help from the Federal Government and commercial traffic which effectively amounts to foreign aid shipments) - and in comparison the Great Fire of 1897 so utterly consumed old Fort Plymouth settlement that the architects of Star City basically worked from a tabula rasa.

Honestly, a majority of Star Citizens might remain deeply unsettled by recent events and their aftermath, but they can still find comfort in the fact that, as they put it "We aren't No-Man's Land - heck we aren't Gotham. PERIOD."

All this relatively-positive thinking is probably healthy, but it quite carefully skirts the topical issue - Star City is getting more dangerous and local government hasn't a clue what to do about it. You see previous to the so-called 'Amsterdam Avenue Disaster' Star City has always been off the beaten track so far as superhuman phenomena or even major Heroes and Villains are concerned, even downright quiet: sure Green Arrow's worked with the Justice League and confronted the likes of Deathstroke or Dr. Light in the past, but most of his time in Star City has been spent giving muggers hell or butting heads with the local bureaucracy or just taking out some serious anger issues on drug dealers, threats anyone could readily comprehend.

While his heart was always with the streets of Star City, if the Emerald Archer wanted serious superhero action and adventure, he had to seek it elsewhere: costumed super villainy was something that happened in Gotham or Keystone, since the Star City underworld was stable enough to squash or push out any would-be Riddler (and even the real deal when he came to town once, although they preferred to bribe him into submission).

Everyone KNEW that Green Arrow never had any Rogues Gallery to speak of, but Boy has that popular knowledge taken a kick in the Status Quo: with the eruption of a major metahuman event in Star City, the playing board has finally changed - people weren't expecting anything like the Amsterdam Avenue Disaster and that shock to the system has inspired certain individuals to take their chance to redraw the map of the Underworld or made them angry enough with the local government* to try sticking it to The Man or just plain desperate enough to try taking all that they desire without considering the wishes of others.

Add to that the bonanza of all the aid flowing into the city (financial and physical), coupled with the intensely vulnerable efforts of at least one local corporation to pump money, raiders have started seizing shipments (air, sea land) and holding them for ransom; seaborne villains have likewise begun to target newly-vulnerable Star City for more than just shore leave; new gangs and new gang lords are seeking to fill the void left by the loss of the old mobs or just settle scores with anyone who happens to come within range; costumed eccentrics threaten to become legion as the recently-decimated SCPD can do little to stop them and threats far more esoteric have finally decided to settle scores with Green Arrow (either due to his own actions or those of the Black Canary, his better half).

Star City is more vulnerable and it's Underworld in the process of becoming more colourful than ever it was before, even during this Age of Heroes: In Star City the little guy is faced with any number of boots willing or positively KEEN to trample all over them on their path to power (amongst other, stranger destinations).

Thankfully there's an old lefty in town who takes issue with that sort of thing, has considerable experience with doing just that, has some interesting friends who happen to have a similar attitude - and who happens to be a local. I'd give you three guesses who this fellow in the snappy green hat is, but that would just result in the great cry "Robin Hood!" and Oliver Queen's ego gives him enough trouble as it is.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Tune in next time to find out more about where I plan to go with all this rambling scene-setting! (or rather having found out where I set my scene, find out with what renewed players I intend to people my stage).

Actually why wait? I intend to try my hand at re-making Ollie's wider supporting cast and Rogues Gallery into what I hope will be memorable, characterful forms. If I prove succesful (or even if anyone actually pays attention!), I shall probably try to do the same for other Heroes noted as not having a Rogues Gallery, despite having a backlist of foes quite able to fill a Wikipedia page to below the 'fold'.

See what I mean here, with Ollie's Rogues Gallery as an example - I'm surely not the only one who's heard that Green Arrow has no really memorable villains, yet here is compiled a list that took up just about fifteen pages when I printed it off and I cannot be the only one who thinks that they can spot some potential here and there.
If anyone wishes to participate, please feel free to post here or PM me and we can discuss where you'd like this exercise to be headed.