Infinity Inc. (DCA/3e-OOC-Full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Chris4172
Disciple
Disciple

Re: Infinity Inc. (DCA/3e-Recruiting)

Postby Chris4172 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm look into the other colors and see if one of them appeals to me. Edited Screw it :D I'll do something original and see what I can come up with.
Last edited by Chris4172 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm going to drop the Thinker and T-Sphere aspect of the build. Once I sat down and started working on it he started to become much more math oriented. But really if your power is math can you still actually yourself a superhero? I'm still attching him to Mr. Teriffic though because I'm supporter of fairplay.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Chris4172 wrote:I'm look into the other colors and see if one of them appeals to me.

Well Blue and Indigo (hope and compassion) are the most obviously "heroic" besides Green (courage), but an interesting case could be made for a heroic Yellow Lantern. Order through fear (or at least fear of punishment) is how most governments maintain control, so while not necessarily altruistic...an argument for having heroic lanterns of that color is certainly something to think about.

Another possible wrinkle is a character who's empowered like Jade (the Golden Age Green Lantern's daughter), where contact with the Starheart (the mystic power source behind the Golden Age GL) caused the character to tap into that energy "naturally". That gives both a Golden Age connection and a Green Lantern vibe. Actually, Green Lantern-esque powers weren't all that uncommon during the Golden Age. Starman, Green Lantern, Sargon, Ibis the Invincible, and Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt all had powers that manifested similarly. The big difference was, some used an artifact or invention (GL, Starman, Ibis, Sargon) and others didn't (the Thunderbolt).

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:19 pm

ClassDunce wrote:I'm going to drop the Thinker and T-Sphere aspect of the build. Once I sat down and started working on it he started to become much more math oriented. But really if your power is math can you still actually yourself a superhero? I'm still attching him to Mr. Teriffic though because I'm supporter of fairplay.

There was a really cool Elseworlds (JSA Liberty Files) where Batman, Dr. Mid-Nite, Hourman and Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloan, the original) were all secret agents. Mr. Terrific was very James Bond. Granted it's different than the way the legacy Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt) works, but it's a valid take on the character.

Anyhoo, just having connections with the character doesn't mean your hero has to resemble him in the slightest as far as powers/abilities go. I mean, Superman is connected to both the Guardsman clone and Crimebuster and their powers & methods don't resemble his at all. Heck, Damage is a Golden Age Atom legacy and his powers are functionally closer to the Human Bomb, so even being a legacy doesn't necessarily mean the powersets line up.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:48 pm

I am going to recycle Haunter from the unfortunately dead HOTN game...he is basically a non-evil version of Vandal Savage (Immortal and Regenerative), having fought crime and wandered the world since the dawn of time. If it's ok, I would make him a friend of Uncle Sam, having fought with him a few times during various wars.

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:09 am

Horsenhero wrote:
@everyone- I'll do all legacy characters if I have to, since that's pretty much what's being pitched, but it hadn't been my intention to have many, if any legacies...why do a modern age game if you want legacies? Do a future game, so it can be blown wide open.

However, I can't cast what isn't pitched and if legacies are what you want to do, then I'm cool with it. Do make them legacies of Golden Age characters though.

When you put the game in an established setting, it's difficult to stay away from legacies, since those are how we fell in love with the setting in the first place and the first thing we think of when we hear the name of it.
Games
Janice Powers - H.E.A.R.T.
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:56 am

I understand. Like I said, it hadn't been my intention to have a legacy campaign, BUT, the game works just as well with them as without, and whatever makes the players happy to be in the game...is good.

@neo-paladin-Haunter sounds cool. I'm actually a little anxious to start seeing some builds. More than anything, that's what gets my creative juices flowing.

Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Belial666 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:30 am

Asha
Weight: 180 lb. (70-lb wings included)
Height: 5'1
Ethnic Background: unknown - appears Indian
Nationality (place of origin): unknown
Eye Color: Lavender
Hair Color: Black
Handedness: Left
APPEARANCE
Dawn is an exceptionally beautiful young woman with exotic features that speak of either Indian American or Indian Asian ancestry; due to her mixed heritage, her ethnicity is questionable. Sixteen years old, she is both short and curvy for her age, with pale chocolate skin, long lustrous black hair and large, almond-shaped eyes set in a decidedly Caucasian face. Her most striking feature though is the pair of feathery wings sprouting from her upper back. Deceptively fragile-looking, they are heavy in bone and muscle and both large and strong enough to easily support her in flight.
In her free time, Dawn usually wears rather girly dresses with low backs to accomodate her wings and her taste but when she's out being a superhero, she wears a tight, long-sleeved, legless costume in yellow and black spandex that resembles a swimsuit, accompanied by knee-high boots and long gloves, both studded with decorative spikes. Her adopted family and close friends believe the revealing suit to be a statement against her very strict father. In reality, the suit is a recreation from one of the few, faded memories she has of her real parents.

HISTORY
Fourteen years ago, the Lord of Order Shazam found a very young child left in his doorstep. The little girl was healthy, strong and either of native american or asian origin - and had a pair of functional wings sprouting from her back. A note accompanied the child, informing Shazam of the girl's name and that her parents could no longer care for her, asking him to find a home for her. The note said nothing else and despite the Wizard's great powers, he could not divine a single fact of the girl's origin. Because he was an old man with powerful enemies, he decided to find the girl a home away from him, in India. His divination spell did find the best family for the girl, the one with the greatest probability of ensuring the girl's future.
Dawn was welcomed by the young couple despite her obviously nonhuman features; mutants had appeared in the world before and with the girl so resembling her adopted mother it was easy to pass her off as a mutant rather than a bastard - something quite important for a higly religious little village in mountainous Nepal. Dawn, now named Usha ("dawn" in Sanscrit) grew up with loving but stern adopted parents. They taught her how to read and write their language, something very few girls learned there as her adopted father reminded her, their faith in a Creator that was Lord of Light and Wisdom, they taught her truth, tenacity, integrity and devotion to her ideals. As was the way of their community, they also taught that a girl's place was to commit to the support of the community however she could... and because people, however loving, can also be flawed, they told her that her place was that of a wife and worker in support of her elders and future husband.
But that kind of life did not appeal to young Dawn. Having been born to fly free in the heavens, she felt that kind of fate as imprisonment and begun to rebel. Her adopted family could not deal with a headstrong young girl that could fly and was far more resilient than a human and Dawn and her father especially had almost come to blows more than once by the time the Wizard returned.
Having felt Dawn's growing disillusionment, Shazam decided to take on the girl as a protege. He taught the girl English and thus giving her the opportunity to live in the wider world while he cultivated the girl's exemplary character, devotion, truthfulness and strength of will. And living beside the wizard for a time, Dawn got a taste of the magic Shazam held, the power to call upon Powers of the ancient world to enhance himself. The great wizard was hardly surprised when the young girl showed an amazing aptitude for such powers herself; after all, he had seen something of her future when he first found her in his doorstep. And thus he taught Dawn not magic but how to channel the power of her own set of divine patrons taken from the religion her adopted parents gave her and Dawn still believed in. She could now call upon Arta the Truth, Sathra the Might, Hauravat the Wholeness and Armeti the Purpose and so a thirteen-year-old girl became Asha, a young champion of those qualities in the world.
But after three years of Dawn living with the wizard and one year of Asha's existence, tragedy struck again. Shazam was to fight and die at the hands of the Specter as a new age of magic dawned. The great wizard had foreseen this and as he went to meet his doom, he left Dawn all that he'd found of her true origins. Dawn had been born on Earth but her parents had never existed in the world before; Shazam suspected they were time travelers or dimension hoppers that could not stay in this reality... but because Dawn had been born on Earth, she could not go with them either. With one of his last spells enhancing what memories Dawn had of her true parents, the wizard left and Dawn cried... Slowly growing into her power, Asha searched everywhere for clues of her family. No longer having the Wizard to tutor her, she searched for other teachers and, as was all but inevitable, met with Black Adam. Strangely enough, the powerful supervillain did not seek to harm the girl and Dawn did not oppose him. She had seen that Black Adam was motivated by more than just evil goals, goals she found... laudable. She helped Black Adam with those goals in exchange for training and help with her own search. For two years her efforts did not reach success and an encounter with Captain Marvel and his attempts to carry on the mantle of Shazam forced her to stop her cooperation with Black Adam.

Now sixteen years old, Dawn is beginning to feel comfortable in her role as Asha. A beacon of truth, strength, tenacity, and conviction is a heavy mantle for one so young but she has finally begun to accept it. She has not stopped searching for her parents and she is still waiting to see what Black Adam makes of his novel view of a world that does not merely exist to be exploited. Her relationship with Captain Marvel is one of wary acceptance - she believes Billy Batson will grow into his new role but also that a dual personna, half of which is a boy younger than her, is not the best for the time being.

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation - Family: The driving force behind Dawn's actions are her attempts to find her real family - and the desire to move away (physically and conceptually) from her adopted family in India.
Identity: Dawn has a very unusual physiology, especially her obvious, apparently natural wings. Hiding who she is poses problems - and hiding what she is is all but impossible.
Relationship: Dawn had a close mentor relationship with the wizard Shazam and has an equally close one with Black Adam. She has met and worked both with and against Captain Marvel.
Responsibility: Dawn feels she must live up to the ideals of her faith even though she has rejected the culture of her adopted home. This is especially true since she calls up to the Amesha Spentas for her powers... or thinks she does.

ABILITIES [48 pp]
STR 13/2, STA 10, AGL 0, DEX 0, INT 0, FGT 0, AWE 10, PRE 2
DEFENSES [9 pp]
Dodge 5, Fortitude 10, Parry 4, Toughness 15, Will 10
SKILLS [6 pp]
Athletics 1 (+3/+14), Perception 3 (+13), Unarmed 7 (+7), Persuasion 1 (+3/+8)
ADVANTAGES [6 pp]
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Very Attractive, Favored Environment: Aerial, Languages (English, Sanscrit)
POWERS [81 pp]
Awareness of Arta [11 pp]
Senses 12 (extended 3 vision counters and penetrates all concealment, Noticeable)
Strength of Sathra [31+2 pp array]
Mystic Might: Enhanced Strength 11, Power Lifting 3, Power Grab 5*, Fast Grab, Improved Hold
*as extra limbs 5 with quirk: single target only (no actual limbs to hold multiple objects/people)
AE - Unerring Blows: Move Object 10 (damaging, perception, close range, affects insubstantial)
AE - Starblast: Blast 10 (accurate 5, Homing 3, Extended Range 3)
Wholeness of Hauravat [14 pp]
Protection 5, Regeneration 5, Noticeable All Visual+Radiation Concealment, only when flying (blinding aura)
Acumen of Armeti: [12 pp]
+10 Winged Flight -- AE: Speed 5, Quickness 5. Move-by-Action
Unusual Physiology: [11 pp]
Immunity 8 (life support except starvation/thirst), Noticeable Winged Flight 2, Space Move 2.
Last edited by Belial666 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:24 am

Technically, much like they did with Superman, DC moved Captain Marvel out of the Golden Age into the modern era to keep Billy young...the entire Marvel family actually. The Wizard has been active since forever, and Black Adam was, of course, around (though not active), so a character themed that way is certainly doable. They just wouldn't have a connection to Captain Marvel.

Their parent/mentor/accountant whatever would be a background character, not as I'd originally hoped for, an active Golden Age hero.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:51 am

Okay, it's nobody's fault (but DC), but there seems to be some confusion about which heroes in the DCU were active during the Golden Age (primarily WW2), so after I get home from work, I'm going to edit in a list of every one I can remember, including the "Fawcett" heroes.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:52 am

Mr. Future II

Weight: 170 lb.
Height: 5'10
Age (apparent age): 29
Ethnic Background: Caucasian
Nationality (place of origin): American
Eye Color: Aquamarine
Hair Color: Black
Handedness: Right

Appearance: Mr. Future II wears somewhat multicolored garb (imagine the Doctor's clothing of the Authority) with a trenchcoat and a blue half-mask over his face.

History:
During the era of Dr. Occult pre-WW2, one of the few friends and agents he possessed in that time was the occult academic and scholar Langston Coture, a paragon of experts in rituals and enchantment, in addition to his impressive knowledge base in lore and magic. No spellslinger, but his knowledge and ability to create rituals and artifacts in impressive record time was a mighty asset on the fly.

When Dr. Occult began to work more with the JSA and get involved in World War Two, Coture was encouraged to join them, taking on the identity of Mr. Future. Mr. Future helped prove vital in stopping the Valkyries that first caused the JSA to form, managing to overcome Hitler's Spear of Destiny enough to bar future summons, though he could not break the spell that would keep the All-Star Squadron out of the war's primary battlefields.

Mr. Future did not have the same degree of longevity as his counterparts, and though vital still retired. His son Morris Coture did not take on the mantle of Mr. Future, choosing instead to be a businessman and lead a normal life. Larry Couture, Morris' son, was another matter. Langston refused to let the legacy go to waste, and trained his grandson in occult lore all the same.

Since Larry gravitated more to his grandfather than his father, he eventually agreed, and became Mr. Future II. Though less experienced, he was effective as a JSA reservist until Miss America came to him and revealed that a number of mystic heroes and villains, as well as Langston Coture, had disappeared. This was enough to ensure Mr. Future II signed up for Infinity Inc. for he would not leave his grandfather in any trouble.

Sheet

Abilities
STR 2, STA 2, AGL 2, DEX 2, INT 7, FGT 2, AWE 9, PRE 2

Defenses
Dodge 12, Fortitude 8, Parry 12, Toughness 8/2, Will 12

Skills
Athletics 7 (+9), Expertise: Magic 13 (+20), Insight 7 (+16), Intimidation 7 (+9), Perception 7 (+16), Stealth 8 (+10), Treatment 3 (+10), Investigation 8 (+15), Deception 10 (+12), Persuasion 10 (+12)

Advantages
Defensive Roll 6, Artificer, Ritualist, Improved Tools, Skill Mastery (Expertise: Magic), Skill Mastery (Insight), Contacts, Well-Informed, Skill Mastery (Perception)

Powers
Mystic Savant: Quickness 9 (Limited to Ritualist); Quickness 9 (Limited to Artificer)
Mystic Sight: Senses 5 (Mystic Awareness- Accurate, Acute, Analytical)

Complications
Motivation: Family Legacy
Relationships: His grandfather, the first Mr. Future, and a prime reason Larry joined Miss America.
Secret Identity: Larry Couture.

[Abilities 56 + Defenses 29 + Skills 40 + Advantages 14 + Powers 11 = 150]
Impeach the peach!

Chris4172
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Chris4172 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:30 am

Here's the build I'm working on. Concept is he is a enviromentalist that while out in the field found this unusual green stone and brought it back with him for more study. After being unable to ID the stone his girlfriend who was a jeweler set the stone in an amulet for him. After wearing it the stone started to glow and he received a rush of energy. He had actually found a piece of the Starheart that had broken off when it crashed to earth.

Aegis - PL 10

Strength 1, Stamina 9, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 3, Intellect 2, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
All-out Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Power Attack, Takedown 2

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+8), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise: Science 5 (+7), Expertise: Supers 5 (+7), Insight 7 (+8), Perception 7 (+8), Persuasion 7 (+8), Ranged Combat: StarHeart Amulet 8 (+8)

Powers
StarHeart Amulet (Removable)
. . Flight: Flight 12 ([0 active, 0/24 PP, 2/r], mystic, Speed: 8000 miles/hour, 16 miles/round)
. . . . Movement: Movement 7 (Alternate; [0 active, 0/24 PP, 2/r], mystic, Environmental Adaptation: Zero G, Permeate 3: full speed, Space Travel 3: other galaxies)
. . Invulnerability
. . . . Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Stamina 8 (mystic, +8 STA)
. . . . Force Field: Force Field 5 (mystic, +5 Toughness)
. . . . Immunity: Immunity 11 (mystic, Aging, Life Support)
. . . . Regeneration: Regeneration 5 (mystic, Every 2 rounds)
. . StarHeart Projection
. . . . Green Flame Objects: Create 9 ([0 active, 0/27 PP, 3/r], light, mystic, Volume: 500 cft., DC 19; Extras: Movable)
. . . . Green Flame: Blast 12 ([0 active, 0/27 PP, 2/r], fire, mystic, DC 25)
. . . . Move Object: Move Object 12 ([0 active, 0/27 PP, 2/r+1], light, mystic, 100 tons, Advantages: Improved Hold)
. . . . Senses: Senses 15 ([0 active, 0/27 PP, 1/r], mystic, Counters All Concealment: Vision, Detect: Mystic Energy 2: ranged, Detect: Spiritual Energy 2: ranged, Extended: Vision 1: x10, Penetrates Concealment: Vision, Tracking: Mystic/ Spiritual 1: -1 speed rank)

Offense
Initiative +10
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 11)
Green Flame: Blast 10, +8 (DC 25)
Move Object: Move Object 12, +8 (DC 22)
Throw, +0 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 16)

Complications
Identity: Samuel Wallace
Identity: Sam is often mistaken for a green lantern by other. Sometimes even leading to attacks by green lantern foes
Motivation: Responsibility: Sam believes that his power comes with a responsibilty to help others
Relationship: Girlfriend: Kristin Rose is his longtime girlfriend and jeweler who set the StarHeart into his amulet.
Weakness: Wood: His powers have trouble affecting wood and wood passes through his force field and other force constructs as if it wasnt there.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 9, Toughness 14, Will 11

Power Points
Abilities 22 + Powers 78 + Advantages 8 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 17 = 150

Physical Description
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 180lb
Hair: Black
Eyes: Blue

Background
As a young boy Samuel was always reading comics and wanted to be superhero when he grew up. As he grew older though he realized that was probably never going to happen, so he decided he was going to save what he could and started on his path to be an environmentalist. So Sam went to college and received a degree in environmental science and started on his grad work for the next step in his schooling.

It was during this time that Sam found the Star Heart shard. He was working in Alaska studying the impact of the oil pipelines and the local wildlife. While out in the Alaskan wilderness he stumbled across an unusual green stone that he had never seen before. Sam picked it up thinking it would make a nice souvenir and took it back to New York with him when he finished his project.

His girlfriend Kristin Rose decided to surprise him by mounting the unusual stone in a necklace for him to wear. When she presented the necklace to him he put it on and as it settled against his heart he felt a surge of energy pass through his entire body as he was engulfed in green flames. After the shock wore off Sam realized he had been given a great gift and was determined to use it wisely. After learning what he was capapble of he decide to go to the JSA headquarters and try to enlist with them to help the people and learn to control his powers better.
Last edited by Chris4172 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:03 am

For anyone still interested in playing the Yellow Lantern idea, here's a concept you might find interesting.

The stone is brought much like the Starheart, crashing down to earth in the form of a meteorite, but it doesn't remain solid. Instead it shatters on impact and strikes one individual with a raw shard of the magical stone (IE, a raw form of yellow energy or a Yellow Lantern battery/ring). When the medical team attempts to heal the individual in question, the fragment has gone missing, and they spend the next several weeks recovering from their injuries.

As time passes, they begin to feel fear. Feel it. Like a cool breeze, a loud noise, or a dim light, it varies. The greater the fear, the more it resonates with their newly developed senses. On a particularly vivid night, they actually 'see' the act creating the fear, and it's a big one. Summoning up the strength to move, a yellow comet streaks through the sky. Overcoming, suppressing, and surpassing the fear reinvigorates them in a way they could never have imagined. They find themselves with many simple powers of the Green Lantern, raw and untested, but with no need to recharge or wear a ring. Effective, they have become a living channel to the emotional spectrum of fear, and that's likely to have some major complications all on it's own.

Can someone who is bound so closely to a traditionally wicked source of power possibly be a hero? Will others trust him? Can they trust themselves?

Possible idea for names are Beacon, Gold Guardsman, Ghoul, Aegis, but I'm not the best with names.

Free for anyone to use, as I don't have the time needed for a PbP game.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:29 am

Question: will any of the alternate Impervious rules from Armor Powers be used or will it be straight 3e?

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Postby kirinke » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:50 am

Since this is DC, you could go with alternate reality Kryptonians as an origin. Also, if you go with a younger kryptonian, remember, it's exposure to the yellow sun that gives kryptonians their powers. Superman has had decades of experience on earth, absorbing all of that yellow-sun radiation and therefor gaining in strength. A younger kryptonian, wouldn't necessarily have that power. :wink: Just my two cents.

Color me interested though.
How about a cosmic energy controller or electrical controller of some sort?

Return to “M&M Game Room”