[OOC] H.E.A.R.T. [Recruitment re-opened]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: [Recruitment 3e]Super Heroine school

Postby Plan B » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Lancer most likly, although you could go for smart guy.

Any chance of buying or selling PL?
    Insert witty comment here.

TheH0ARD
Henchman
Henchman

Postby TheH0ARD » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Phantom Mouse wrote:Where would a cut up ala Plastic Man fit in? I'm thinking of doing a polymorph, but can't see what trope she'd fit.

The way I see it, the chick. Remember the trope was named that due to the 80's stereotype where the token girl of the group was the emotional support. Some times a man filled this roll (in dragonball, krillin, with his wisecracks and encouragements filled this trope often).

A plastic man archetype, with his habit to 'lighten the mood' with a well timed pun fits in easily.

At work at the moment, but will elaborate later. Looking forward to the builds.

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:24 pm

I have an idea for a character in mind that could fill up either a Lancer or Big Girl position. Think Red Oni to the Heroine's/Smart Girl's Blue Oni.

The first character that always comes to my mind when considering the Chick trope is the Flash from the Justice League animated series. I always saw him as the one who kept the team together and motivated, end of the Cadmus arc especially.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:49 pm

There's also the Smart Girl archetype for a stretchy shifter. Ralph Dibney and reed Richards for example.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:53 pm

I think I'll apply for the big girl, She-Hulk/Fairchild inspired. Instead of dumb, she'll be naive.
Games
Janice Powers - H.E.A.R.T.
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

TheH0ARD
Henchman
Henchman

Postby TheH0ARD » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Alright, I'm home now and after a bite to eat, I'll answer some questions raised.

TheH0ARD
Henchman
Henchman

Postby TheH0ARD » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Plan B wrote:Lancer most likly, although you could go for smart guy.

Any chance of buying or selling PL?

No. As I stated earlier, I want to keep this simple. Even PL10/150.

McGuffin wrote:The first character that always comes to my mind when considering the Chick trope is the Flash from the Justice League animated series. I always saw him as the one who kept the team together and motivated, end of the Cadmus arc especially.

I remember that episode. The infamous 'Around the world' punch onslaught. But that whole arc was full of win, cause I saw the Superman Animated Series story arc that planted the seeds to that (Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS and both Justice Leagues were awesome. Even Spectacular Spiderman, which was made by most of the same team, had flashes of brilliance).

To the point, yeah, a speedster works. But as I said, the chick is the most versatile, because she could have almost any power; her place is being the 'heart' of the team, which is a personality thing. Most link 'psychic' and 'telekinetic' because half a dozen super teams have their own Jean Grey clone.

My favorite Chick character is Sue Richards of the Fantastic Four. She was a wife, an older sister and sympathetic ear of three contrasting personalities. That ultimately lead her to being one of the toughest in the group. Her powers are amazing and at the time, unique (Her force bubbles are very versatile).

GameMaster wrote:I think I'll apply for the big girl, She-Hulk/Fairchild inspired. Instead of dumb, she'll be naive.

Gen 13 was a comic that suffered from too much fan service and inconsitent writing. I loved the characters and the interactions. Fairchild, actually, filled in the heroine/leader trope perfectly. Strong (but not as powerful as grunge), streetsmart yet naive, often got her butt kick by people with more experience, yet she always got back up for more (inspiring the team).

A build like Fairchild could work for Big Girl, but you may want to consider leader trope as well if the Big Girl trope get congested.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:07 pm

Sounds like a game for Luminesce. Definitely "The Chick" role. She's too mild to be the heroine or lancer, power set doesn't work for the Big Girl, COULD be a smart girl, but not really the direction of the character. She falls pretty squarely in The Chick trope.

Luminesce is an energy controller who turns 'light' into solid, liquid or gaseous matter (or when the dookie really hits the fan, into raw plasma, though this is dangerous for her)

here's a PL8 build (that's kind of outdated) from when I first built her in 3E. I'll obviously have to update it.

[34]Abilities
Strength: 0
Stamina: 1
Agility: 3
Dexterity: 3
Fighting: 2
Intellect: 3
Awareness: 3
Presence: 2

[*]Combat[*]
Initiative: 3
Unarmed: +2, Close Damage 0
L.Tentacles: +8, Ranged Damage 8

[17]Defenses
Toughness: 8/1(w/o Armor)
Dodge: (3)8
Parry: (2)4/2(w/o Armor)
Fortitude: (1)7
Will: (3)9

[11]Skills[22SP]
Expertise(Fashion) 5(+8), Expertise(Home Ec) 4(+7), Insight 2(+5), Perception 3(+6), Persuasion 4(+6/8 Attractive), Ranged Attack(L.Tentacles) 2(+8), Treatment 2(+5)

[9]Advantages
Agile Feint, Attractive, Defensive Attack, Improved Defense, Precise Attack 2(Ranged; Cover, Concealment), Ranged Attack 3

[49]Powers
LUMINESCENT ARMOR: Sustained Protection 7 {Feature(Illumination), Linked(Enhanced Parry 2)} - 10 Points

LUMINESCENT FLIGHT: Flight 5 {250mph, .5mp6s} - 10 Points

LIGHT FORCE ARRAY:
(3/r+2)--- LUMINESCENT TENTACLES: Sustained Damaging Move Object 8 {Dynamic, Precise, Resistible(Parry), Variable Descriptor(Physical Damage types)} - 27 Points
(2/r+2)--- LUMINESCENT CONSTRUCTS: Proportional Create 10 {Dynamic, Feature(Illumination), Impervious, Precise} - 2 Points

Complications:
Enemy: For reasons Alicia doesn't know, the Tenebrous Terror continues it's hunt, intent to destroy the Light Force and the one it is bonded to. Given the Terror's innate weakness to the Light Force's powers, she has been able to fend it off, so far.

Phobia: Alicia is, perhaps ironically, afraid of the dark. It makes her very nervous, though on the posative side, she can glow and make her own light, but as she runs out of power, she begins to get more and more anxious as long as she remains in the dark.

Solar Powered: The Light Force requires sunlight to recharge itself. About once a day or after an exceptionally heavy series of power use, otherwise, Alicia loses access to all her powers. In direct sunlight she feels very little drain, and even after running out of power, they return as soon as she is in the sun again. It takes about an hour for her to fully 'charge' for going back into darker places.

Mood Ring: Alicia's eyes and hair can change color at will, however a certain quirk regarding the Light Force's empathic nature causes her hair and eyes to change in accordance to strong emotions Alicia feels, red for anger for example. This slip only occurs with very strong emotions like extreme anger, love, fear, extreme happiness or embarrassment.

She has quite a bit of power (more than she's even aware of). She's easy to deal with by taking her out of the light and letting her power run up, and when I say afraid of the dark, I mean near Storm-level phobia. (Despite the fact she can glow, when her power runs up, she's in still in the dark)

TheH0ARD
Henchman
Henchman

Postby TheH0ARD » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:01 pm

@EPIC

Interesting build and concept. Hard light is very Green Lantern-ish (I know she can change the energy to liquid and gas as well).

As PL8 goes, it looks solid, my question is, how tough will she be without the use of her weakness against her, especially when bumped up to PL10.

Example, using her PL8 build, in order for her to hit someone with an average defense DC (10), she'll have to roll a two or higher (8+2=10). On a d20 die, that is a bit... wow. She has an hit rate way above normal. Not a bad thing, but normally, a high hit rate would equal low damage.

...but she seems to hit hard too. The power is DC 23 toughness (8+15). This means when an opponent makes an average roll of a 10 for toughness with no toughness bonus, that's 13 levels of pain (three degrees of failure, a stagger).

That's a bit squeamish. A high percentage attack rate with a high percentage damage rate attached to it and that's just PL8. Maybe if I saw that build in action, I'll be a bit calmer on it. After all, those are based on 'averages', not including other factors. You use her before? Perhaps seeing her in action will relinquish my doubts?

Thoughts?

TheH0ARD
Henchman
Henchman

Postby TheH0ARD » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:14 pm

JDRook wrote:I've got a photokinetic I've been wanting to try out for the longest time, and this looks like a good fit. I've got a few variations on her here (the 3e version) and here. I'd have to retool her background a bit since I don't know if you'd want an employed single mother in the school, but in all of her iterations she's a mother-hen personality who generally avoids the spotlight and leadership roles. Easiest trope to fill would be Chick, although I've made her a minor gadgeteer occasionally to make up for her lack of toughness and mobility, so Smart Girl or even a self-imposed Lancer could work.

I'll post something tonight.

Still waiting. :P

Nice build there. Interesting thing is that she looks pretty balanced when I put her through the law of averages (see the reponse I gave Epic above). It helps, also, that you discussed her math and usage in that same thread, so it's a little informative as well.

@EPIC

I forgot to mention this earlier, but look at JD's build for a sec. Notice, at a PL10 level, that the damage of her blast is exactly the same as Loom's while she's pl8? That was nagging me in the back of my head as well, but only during the compilation of this post did it return to the forefront.

I'm not picking on you. Just being a bit cautious in fully understanding builds in the MnM system.

Dureign
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dureign » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 pm

DC10 isn't an average defense; thats the defense of someone who has NO defense. So being able to hit a defenseless target should be a cakewalk for any hero. A balanced PL10 character would have Dodge/Parry at +10, or DC20, and a Toughness of +10 as well.

Being able to KO characters that are much lower PL than you (more than 4, say) is easy and trivial, just like it is in the comic books (where Batman doesn't even have to look to backhand a mook and knock him out). If a character had a Defense of +0 (DC10) and a Toughness save of +0, they would be PL0 defensively (aka, a bystander) and therefore any M&M hero could (and should) knock them out in a single blow; a PL10 character is exponentially more powerful than a PL0 character.

TheH0ARD
Henchman
Henchman

Postby TheH0ARD » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:04 pm

@Dur

Ahhhhh. Gotya. Thanks, Dur.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 am

Yup, what he said. Her accuracy and power will scale pretty well at an even pace to pl10. In terms of packing power, she's as effective as your average enegy controller.

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 am

Name: Janice Powers
Legal Status: US citizen with no criminal record
Height: 5'8"
Weight: That's none of your business!
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Powers: Psionic
Skills and Abilities: Trained in gymnastics and several styles of martial arts
Role: Heroine
Power Level: 10 (150pp)

Abilities
Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 2, Fighting 8, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Powers
Mind Shield: Enhanced Defense 4 (Will), Impervious, Limited to Mental Powers, Sustained • 4 points
Predictive Fighting: Enhanced Defense 4 (Dodge 2 and Parry 2), Enhanced Advantages (Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2, Uncanny Dodge), Limited to Minds • 8 points
Psionics: Array (31 points)
    • Telekinesis: Perception Ranged Move Object 10, Subtle, Dynamic • 32 points
    • Push: Perception Ranged Cumulative Affliction 7 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled), Insidious, Subtle, Dynamic • 2 points
    • Switchboard: Mental Communication 3; Senses 5 (Ranged, Accurate and Acute Detect Minds), Dynamic • 2 points
    • TK-Enhanced Strike: Enhanced Strength 8, Dynamic • 2 points
    • Telekinetic Flight: Burst Area Flight 6 (120 MPH), Affects Others, Precise, Subtle, Dynamic • 2 points
    • Telepathy: Effortless Mind Reading 10, Subtle, Dynamic • 2 points
Psychic Awareness: Senses 1 (Mental Awareness) • 1 point
Telekinetic Shield: Protection 6, Limited (must be aware of attack) • 3 points

Advantages
Assessment, Attractive, Defensive Roll 2, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (Telekinesis), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Languages 2 (French, German; Base: English), Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+10), Deception 4 (+6/+8), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+5), Expertise: Tactics 4 (+5), Insight 8 (+9), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion 4 (+6/+8), Ranged Combat: Telekinesis 6 (+10), Vehicles 2 (+4)

Offense
Initiative +8
Push, Perception Ranged, Affliction 7, Resisted by Will (DC 17)
Telekinesis, Perception Ranged, Move Object (DC 20, +10 Attack [19-20 Crit] with Thrown Objects)
Unarmed +10, Close, Damage 10 (19-20 Crit)

Defense
Dodge 10/8*, Parry 10/8*
Toughness 10/8** (-6 if Surprised; 6 Impervious), Fortitude 5, Will 5 (+4 Impervious vs Mental Effects)
*Vs. opponents with no mind or immune to mental effects.
**Without Defensive Roll bonus.

Abilities 44 + Powers 58 + Advantages 13 + Skills 24 + Defenses 11 = 150 points

Janice grew up the only child of an officer in the US military. As such, she spent a lot of time traveling the world. Military schools are all the same, and all boring. On the weekends the Powers family were very active and went outdoors a lot. But with her father busy at work all day, and her mother working with the Enlisted Wives Club, Janice was on her own most of the time during the week. She found an outlet in after school activities, enthusiastically training in gymnastics for several years, though she held no illusions that a girl of her height and age wasn't going to get into the Olympics. Her father was insistent that a girl on her own that much learn how to defend herself, and so she attended various martial arts classes on different bases.

The Powers family was stationed in Germany when Janice's mutation manifested. While at gym practice, she was going for a vault, but when she leapt onto the springboard she flew more than twenty feet, landing in the foam pit. Luckily for her, the rest of the girls blamed it on the springboard, and spent the rest of the day trying to duplicate what Janice did.

But that wasn't the last time strange things started happening. Whenever Janice would concentrate on doing some physical action, she was always successful, though not always in the way she expected. Difficult to open jars exploding, crushed door knobs and broken plates became common place in the Powers household. Her father was perplexed by what was happening, but he chalked it up to bad luck, having only known of a few odd occurrences. But when Janice started hearing voices inside her head, she decided to tell her father what was going on.

As a respected officer in the military, Jim Powers was able to get instant acceptance and full support for Janice at a special school that was tailored to teaching people with her unique challenges. He hoped they would get her powers under control so that she could live a normal life.

After saying their goodbyes - though not tearful, military families were used to this sort of thing, after all - Janice was on a plane headed back for the States. She hadn't been back to the US since middle school, and even then only for a few months. Although a little shaken by the realization that she was a mutant, Janice was excited to see what this new life had in store for her.

Personality
Janice is a confident, independent and somewhat tomboyish girl who will stop at nothing to help someone or see a job through to the end. Before discovering that she was a mutant she knew exactly where she was going in life. The fact that she isn't so sure of her future now causes a bit of anxiety, something that's new to her - she's never been unsure of herself before, having accomplished anything she set out to in the past.

While she treats others with the utmost respect, Janice isn't used to having lasting friendships. Some might think this would make her reserved, but it actually is the opposite effect and she's more open with even acquaintances. Her respect has limits though, Janice isn't blinded by liberal media the way most Americans are. She's lived in other countries most of her life, and spent more time with soldiers than with teachers or friends, so she knows what bullies are like, and isn't afraid to stand up to them.

Complications
Distraction: Janice has a difficult time controlling her telepathy when under stress or severely distracted.
Driven (Motivation): Jim Powers became a respected officer through sheer perseverance and a will to succeed, a trait he passed on to his daughter.
Romantically Inept: Despite having an athletic body, being attractive and possessing desirable fashion sense, Janice has never lived anywhere long enough to have a lasting relationship, and is completely unprepared to dealing with such a situation.

How to deal with Janice in a fight...
Stopping Janice is a simple matter of sneaking up on her, as most of her abilities are psychic in nature and require her to be aware of an attack. Good luck though, as her danger sense is no mean feat to beat.

If you can't sneak up on her, catch her when she's stressed out or overwhelmed by other activities/duties. Increasing her stress levels could cause her to lose control of her Telepathy, letting in every mind in the vicinity all at once.

Without controlling the playing field, you're in for trouble. She's super tough, powerful and knows what you're thinking - not to mention a damn good fighter. But those around her may not be, and she'll put herself in danger - even danger she knows could kill her - to save someone less able.
Last edited by GameMaster on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:29 am, edited 14 times in total.
Games
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 am

Couldn't get into the Big Girl, so I went with Heroine instead. Her powers mirror Superboy's mixed with some low-level telepathy - being an all-around kinda powerset means she doesn't step on any niches. Since she's the heroine, she'll have her time to shine during those inspiring moments, so I'm not worried about being stepped on with any particular point, although her telepathy will play a pretty big part in her social interactions.
Games
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

Return to “M&M Game Room”