Infinity Inc. (DCA/3e-OOC-Full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Infinity Inc. (DCA/3e-OOC full)

Postby ClassDunce » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:25 pm

I think for simplicity's sake she should just stay in the plane and keep her eyes open. What she could get there 30 seconds before everyone else? It would take us that long to stop and let her out of the plane.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Belial666 wrote:Oh.

Tactically, what do you think is best for Dawn to do? Sit tight, scan ahead with her sight and quickness and act like the group's radar (give numbers, positions, appearance and powers used by potential enemies) or fly ahead at twice the car's speed? (I.e. if the car is a minute away, she could be there 5 rounds before the rest of the group)

Or... she could get off the car and push. :lol: It is probably not even close to her light load - a car weighs about a ton, a jet fighter 25 tons and she can lift sixteen hundred thus carrying the car along at max speed won't even slow her supernatural flight down.

Sit down and enjoy the ride? :mrgreen:

We aren't expecting danger yet, are we?
Games
Janice Powers - H.E.A.R.T.
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Of course not. Why do you ask? :twisted:

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 pm

That last post was entirely to start small talk. I felt that Alex hasn't been contributing to that much. :wink:

Horsenhero wrote:Of course not. Why do you ask? :twisted:

:D :D
Games
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 pm

GameMaster wrote:That last post was entirely to start small talk. I felt that Alex hasn't been contributing to that much. :wink:

We're not really going to the crime scene yet though. We're going to go to what will probably become our base that may or may not be under attack right now. I hope there's a white board...
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Belial666 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, 30 seconds is 5 rounds; a veritable eternity in a brutal fight. Especially if Miss America's friend is outnumbered and/or in immediate danger.

OTOH, everyone getting there informed and knowing how many enemies we face (and maybe the powers of some of them) could also make a difference.

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:35 pm

ClassDunce wrote:
GameMaster wrote:That last post was entirely to start small talk. I felt that Alex hasn't been contributing to that much. :wink:

We're not really going to the crime scene yet though. We're going to go to what will probably become our base that may or may not be under attack right now. I hope there's a white board...

:?: Where did I miss that?

Last I remember we were talking about going to a crime scene. This is moving a little too fast for me to keep up with apparently, having only clocked three posts in as many pages (and completely missing the first one!).

I'll try to keep up.
Games
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Gamemaster, check the "End of scene" post. Miss America tells Blackhawk to step on it. Her partner Mr. King may be in danger.

Note: At the beginning, the pace is going to be a little fast & furious, since comics tend to be. Once we've got chapter 1 out of the way, things will likely slow down considerably. Chapter 1 is going to be relatively short. 2 scenes only.

Of course, once...I mean if there's combat things will slow down, since I believe in sequential posting in combat if at all possible.

Also, I edited the Star-Rocket Racer into the very first post (at the bottom), so it's stats are easily referenced.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Belial666, I noticed that you mentioned Asha's sensory powers were always functioning. Since they possess the "Noticeable" flaw, you realize that anyone you scan knows it and can likely trace the effect back to Asha, or at least Ashas general location if she's behind something opaque, right? The downside of that flaw is it announces the power and possibly the user.

This depends of course on the "noticeable", since it isn't actually spelled out on her sheet. Personally, I'm always a fan of the "spotlight effect" when it comes to vision powers.

Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Belial666 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:27 am

Umm, the "Senses" entry in the book has the "your eyes may glow" option for vision. It doesn't say anything about a sense being immediately detectable by anyone being scanned - that would be a full limitation, I think, rather than a -1 pp flaw. Also, it would illuminate a 90-degree cone that's 50 miles long - that's Asha's field of vision - and it would have a few big side effects along the way...

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Walking Dad » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:19 am

Aaargh, 3 pages in the IC thread and now I realized I missed something!

@Horsenhero: I really like the new 52 jumping ability of Aquaman. May I reduce Blue Sharks Athletics skill by 2 and buy Leaping as alternate power to Swimming? The same powerful leg muscles that give the swimming speed also gives prodigious jumping abilities.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:42 am

Belial666 wrote:Umm, the "Senses" entry in the book has the "your eyes may glow" option for vision. It doesn't say anything about a sense being immediately detectable by anyone being scanned - that would be a full limitation, I think, rather than a -1 pp flaw. Also, it would illuminate a 90-degree cone that's 50 miles long - that's Asha's field of vision - and it would have a few big side effects along the way...

See, this is my thought on huge "Counters, Penetrates Concealment" powers, they're bought for one reason and one reason only, to make the GM's job nearly impossible as far as surprising the characters goes. So, I begin to think of ways to use it to my advantage. First, Noticeable means just that, the use of an otherwise Subtle by default power is Noticeable by those it's used on, or at least its use is obvious. It is the reverse of Subtle. Subtle is a flat 1 point, extra, Noticeable is a flat 1 point flaw. There's a complete balance in game rule and efficacy of the flaw/extra. I don't blame you for arguing otherwise. Players always argue to their advantage, not for game balance.

My second option is, since Asha is effectively blind to start (she sees through everything) and must "filter down" to get what she wants, is to bombard you with information about what she sees. Unlike the comics and characters with obscenely powerful senses, I can't conveniently ignore the existence of said senses and what they do to the plot, I can only take them and adapt to their existence. Aegis is in sort of the same boat as Asha, except his senses have a much shorter range (plus have, like all his powers, an issue with wood) and are therefore more manageable.

Like I said, the entire purpose of powers with that level of efficacy is to make it difficult for me to come up with complex plots, which reduces my options to a lot of super-powered brawls. Had I paid more attention to her sensory powers when I was going over characters, I might have asked for some changes. I didn't so my job is now to make things so that Asha just doesn't sit in the "Superman seat" and reduce her partners to the roles of followers and sidekicks.

I've always said, when dealing with powers...if it's a power you wouldn't want to have to work around, think twice before you bring it into my game, because likely I don't want to have to work around it either.

@Walking Dad- a Leaping AE is fine.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:52 am

@Belial666- Counters Cover and Concealment is not the same as countering a skill use. Your powers give you a chance to see things others don't, but don't go giving yourself abilities not defined and not paid for. Concealment offers bonuses to Stealth, it isn't the end all/be all of stealth usage. Don't tell me how to adjudicate my game thanks.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 am

Wow...20 pages in here, barely out of our intro and already arguments... Seems I am really having bad luck with games 'round here...:(

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 am

The game won't stop because of arguments Neo-paladin. I'm just pointing out in my less than subtle way that 1) I won't be pushed around when it comes to issues of game balance and 2) I've actually read the rulebook and while, yes, under normal circumstances there are no stealth bonuses for someone not under concealment, there are powers that can counter/mislead even Ashas sight and getting all up in my face when you don't know what the opposition can do will bring blowback.

Think of it this way...at least we're only online, IRL, as a redneck, when people get in my face, I tend to set 'em on their butts. It all balances out.

Return to “M&M Game Room”