NEW VINDICATORS #15: Deport (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #8: Zugzwang (IC)

Post by McGuffin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Ursa
[Otso Karell]
HP: 2

Otso winced slightly at Juozas' comment. "No, museums would probably be a bad idea. I meant more like, somewhere to take a girl out on a date to."
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Michuru81 wrote:NVAE, SUBLEVEL: WRECK ROOM (Martin; NPCs: Nick Bottom)
Possibly near campus? Suddenly, it clicked:
Thanks, *I* the player knew, but I couldn't justify Martin getting it.
Fluxx

Martin's mind connected the disparate pieces. He informed Bottom of his discoveries and conclusions. He was tempted to get phasing through every inch of the lower levels and lower, but deduced the keys likely had other functions besides finding the location. They were likely a part of whatever was down there and needed for activation.

Martin feared he knew what he'd find, the coffin shape was too telling. Newton had build some sort of stasis chamber, set his bodyguard to watch over it, and left Viktor and himself the means to revive the former Headmaster.

Martin asked if Bottom needed anything to increase the pleasantness of his voluntary confinement, (and confirmed if the man still wished to stay there).

His next stop would to ask Fischer if Newton had left anything for Viktor and/or himself.

If she were busy, he'd catch up with and ask Viktor directly if the youth knew of anything left for them.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:47 pm

NVAE, THIRD FLOOR: HALLWAY (Otso; NPCs: Juozas and Larrikin)
Juozas shrugged. "There's Cafe Benno: it's a small cafe that has stacks of board games... Strudlhofstiege's great for a romantic walk that's sure to get her to put out. A girl dragged me to the MDW once... It wasn't too bad..."

WRAPPING UP MARTIN (Martin)
Leaving Bottom with an acoustic guitar, Martin set off to find Doctor Fischer. The woman apparently had no idea what he had been talking about. His only hope now was Viktor...

Strangely enough, mentioning the keys to the Spaniard appeared to conjure an epiphany: though the Spaniard first responded with annoyance at having his time with Mira Linden interpreted, that evolved into confusion as Martin asked about the keys; that soon gave way to realization. "Not long ago, I went to the former headmaster's office--I was looking for an intercom or something... Anyway, the office was empty except for two envelopes there: one was addressed to yours truly and the other was for you.

"With everything that has happened, I completely forgot about them..."

With Martin's urging, Viktor went off to retrieve them. Sure enough, he returned with two envelopes--one opened and one sealed. "This was what was in mine," he said, turning over a white, plastic card blemished only by a magnetic strip along the back. "It felt as though yours had the same..."

A hasty explanation later left Martin and Viktor racing for the underground, with Mira in tow. In the sublevels, the card keys got them access to the restricted hallway. It was here that the pantry was kept, the laundry was done, cleaning supplies were stocked... It was where the school was supplied with heating and air--where the water heaters and generators rested.

Though it took them a few minutes, they finally found the door their keys opened...

"Hello, Martin," Anne Newton said when the chamber opened. "Hello, Viktor." She stood at the head of some sort of stasis chamber; through a glass window in the lid, Martin saw that Isaac Newton slumbered inside. "Is it time to wake my father up?"
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Fluxx

Martin smiled. It wasn't particularly large. It didn't bathe the room with light or indicate some grand epiphany or insight or peace. It was just that in this world of one FUBAR after another, maybe, just maybe, help could arrive.

"Yes, Anne. Yes it is."

He would give the man the run down of the situation as he knew it, everything, no secrets. Add that to whatever Viktor could share of current events. Then he'd listen and follow the suggestions given by the immortal genius.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

NEW VINDICATORS #9: Check (IC)

Post by Michuru81 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:25 pm

NEW VINDICATORS ACADEMY OF EUROPE #9: Check

NVAE, FRONT QUAD—7:31 A.M.; Friday, October 24, 2008
It had been an uneventful week. No one had died, been maimed, traumatized or grievously injured. Laputa had not made a move in more than a week—not since Entier’s unsuccessful attempt on Vociferant’s life in the Netherlands.

More than a week had passed since Mister McClanahan had recruited Doctor Yavorshak’s aid in helping he and Lex Murphy inform the students about the abductions. Armed with the knowledge Quintessence and Greystone had brought back with them, they told the students that Emily’s parents, Lex’s mother, Viktor’s brother, Jason’s sister and Martin’s sister had all been taken prisoner.

Mira Linden immediately began calling everyone she knew. She was not alone in this: Buddy Kiriakis, Finnegan Wake, Fiore Caspian—there were few students who did not seem unnerved by this news… Mario Tharivol was confident that his family was all here at the school, as was Sarah Nelson.

In the end, it seemed that only those students who had had the most contact with Laputa’s agents had had loved ones taken from them.

More than a week had passed since Martin and Viktor had used the card keys to awaken Isaac Newton from his slumber. Tomorrow would mark two weeks since he had resigned as headmaster—two weeks he had been asleep, and yet, he had missed so much: Vlad’s defection, the arrival of Kas and Larrikin—according to Mira and Viktor, there was a girl named Mary and a boy whose name the Spaniard could not recall who had joined today as well.

Martin told Sir Newton about Nadja Nelson’s death, about her husband’s role in her demise and how he had been a spy for Laputa all along; he told him about Bottom’s help in securing a confession—and hastily thanked him for having sent Bottom in the first place; he told him of his mother’s attempt on the man’s life at the trial and her detainment. He told him about the arrest of Jack’s father as well and of Laputa’s plot to conquer Pandora.

He told the ageless man everything he had missed and when he had finished, it was Newton’s turn to fill them in: “I’m an Esper,” the former headmaster explained, “with the ability to hear those in the other realms. I asked Mister Manuel to prepare this chamber for me so that I could focus on what I heard without outside distractions—also to help pass the time. Honestly, I can’t believe it’s been two weeks… It feels like I only just went to sleep…”

“As it is,” he told the trio of students before him, “I’m afraid we’ll have to keep this little meeting a secret… I resigned as the headmaster and I’m not supposed to be here—so long as Laputa thinks that, we have some sort of advantage over them. We can coordinate our efforts from down here—just keep me informed…”

It wasn’t much longer before Isaac Newton contacted Doctor Fischer, to tell her that an associate of his had been restrained in the Wreck Room. What he said eluded Martin, but it seemed to work: Doctor Fischer saw to it that Nick Bottom was liberated and instated as a teacher on the former headmaster’s recommendation…

In the days that followed, something akin to a normal high school experience seemed to set in over the school: Lex and Kirstie worked to plan a dance set for tonight; Jason and Eve had gone out, as had Otso and Beatrice, Viktor and Mira--the latter had even celebrated Mira's 18th birthday...

Through it all, Tatjana continued to avoid Martin…

It had been an uneventful week…
Michuru81 wrote:First and foremost, +2 PP to everyone. 1 for the session and 1 because as of February 1, we've been playing this game together for two years now. Thank you to each of you for sticking with me through this often tedious and frequently frustrating adventure.

Also, +5 hero points to Otso.

The last session took place on October 15, 2008. It is now the morning of the 24th--the morning of the dance. I'm assuming that at some point in that, Otso and Jason took their respective girls out. Rather than play through it, I think it's safe to just let you both narrate how it went down.

Everyone can feel free to fill the last nine days with whatever mundane activities they desire. Class, studying with random NPCs, sneaking off to hang out with the immortal guy in the basement, giving the charismatic music teacher the stink eye because you still don't trust him... whatever.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #9: Check (IC)

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Magnitude
Kasimir Flaegler

The past nine days had been pretty good as far as Kasimir was concerned. He'd worked every afternoon on locating another "waif" rescued by Astrid and getting them into the program the Headmistress had set up. During his downtime, to decompress, he either went flying...something he restricted to nights mostly to avoid causing problems, or he worked out in the Wreck Room. Most of his Wreck Room work was solitary and concentrated on defense.

Kas did find it amusing that he spent so much time in his Vindicators' uniform since he assumed he wouldn't ever actually be a Vindicator. Not that he had anything against the concept, the Vindicators did good work. He just wasn't one of the in crowd. Everyone knew who they were. They'd been in Kaiserslautern and had earned the enmity of some secret organization. Martin, Lex, Jack, Viktor, Tatjana, Kirstie, Randy, Jason and even the mysterious Vlad, whose name Lex spit out like a curse had been there. Otso seemed to have been "grandfathered" in, but him? The only reason he was even here was his mother was trying to help straighten out the public relations mess they were in. He didn't mind so much. Most of the priviledged few seemed to be angry or bitter or melancholy or generally unhappy, so if that was a prerequisite for being a prospective Vindicator, they could have it.

He did his homework and moved children away from religious orphanages. He figured he was almost through anyway. Astrid seemed to be struggling to come up with new names and locations. It was a situation that both frustrated and thrilled her. She'd sworn to break a chain of abuse and as far as anyone could tell...she'd succeeded. Kasimir was happy for her.

All in all, nine good days. His Vindicators' uniform needed laundering though, it was a getting a little ripe.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Fluxx

Martin tried to see Tatjana... at first. Knowing how she appreciated grand gestures he set up speakers outside her door and started into a ballad of love and apology. He felt hopeful when she opened the door; maybe she would, at least, listen.

She opened her mouth and sang a note. The speakers and Martin were all blown back to impact against the far wall. At least she was demonstrating greater control.

One consequence of this whole thing was that Martin was free of his duties as Prefect, even after his school suspension was lifted, Otso had done such a good job that no mention of his reinstatement was made, and he didn't press the issue. He was only sorry that he could not fulfill his promise to Gaspar of suggesting the Spanish youth as his successor.

Perhaps it was their shared experiences but Martin found himself in Gaspar's company more and more. Work outs in the Wreck Room, extra combat training and emergency preparedness practices (if no one else suggests it, he does).

Martin does, indeed, call Professor Egbertus Tjalling Leendert Goossens to discuss theoretical physics. He also asks after his mother. He doesn't know how much the scientist can tell him so he treads carefully.

He makes himself available to Newton whenever the man should call.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:45 am

Greystone:
[Jack Rexroth]
HP: 8

The first couple days after his meeting with Dale, Jack was enjoying the fact he now had a twin. The first day they'd both went to his classes, something they were pulled from Mister Knight's class and was told that wouldn't continue since it made it somewhat confusing for the teachers and distracted the other students from their lessons.

The Jack's responded with cutting the rest of their classes that day and spent that time talking over everything the original Jack had learned from Dale and going over the information Vlad had left. Even with a second set of eyes going over everything Jack was left with more questions than answers and both were frustrated by the time they finally stopped.

The next morning was when Jack the dupe started feeling 'weird'. So much in fact that the pair were waiting on Doctor Tally and after several tests it was discovered that Jack .2 was basically dying. It was a several day long process as his body pretty much dried out and wasted away.

It was something that would haunt Jack for many years.

Jack .2 took it as best as one could, it helped that he understood he wasn't the original but dying still isn't something one wants to face. Especially a slow death and when he did pass one of the last things he shared with the original Jack was that it sucked beyond his ability to really explain and that if original Jack could help it to make sure he went quick.

Fischer had allowed Jack to be excused from class the next couple days and he had extra sessions with Mister McClanahan of course. Those talks were.....intense.

In the days since Jack had mostly kept to himself. Honestly it was mostly due to the fact that aside from McClanahan he had nobody he felt he could really hang out with, so he made use of his allowance in the Wreck Room but instead of the usual programs Jack instead was trying to figure out how to get around, walking, running, swimming, and flying, without relying on his visual senses.

That was step one.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 pm

NVAE (Kas; NPCs: Larrikin)
The car pulled back up to the school and Doctor Yavorshak excused herself. One more of Astrid's orphans had been placed. Once more, Astrid was lost in a haze of melancholy glee: she was happy for Rayner--that much was obvious--but Kas didn't need his sight to see that the freshman missed the family she'd built.

Soon enough, Astrid parted ways with Kas--though they'd been excused from classes for the morning, she said she still had things to do. Still, Kas wasn't alone long...

"It's a good thing you're blind, mate," Larrikin said as he saddled up beside Kas, "because one look at that girl'd make you need a change of pants. Who knows? Maybe when I go to pick her up for the dance we'll just decide to skip it." Kas knew he was lying: when Doctor Yavorshak had driven them back, she asked about tonight's dance; Astrid had said that no one had asked her. "Stay in and... You know?" Odd clicking and squeaking noises leapt from his mouth then.

"What about you? Found someone to take, yet?"

NVAE (Martin; NPCs: Gaspar)
"I dunno though," Gaspar was saying, "I mean... I think we all sound decent. I know I haven't been playing long but I'm getting good." He shrugged. "I guess I was just halfway hoping he have us play so that I didn't show up at the dance alone, you know?" The blue-haired boy sighed. "Seems like everyone has someone, y'know? I mean, Beatrice is seeing Otso and Eve's with Jay. I get the feeling that if I ask out Kirstie, Lex might fry me. About the only girls I think are still single are Sarah--who I'm not going anywhere NEAR--and Ellen--who looks like she might kill whoever talks to her.

"You think I'd have a shot with that new girl? The Swede, I mean?"

NVAE (Jack; NPCs: Noble)
When Jack had finished another run through the Wreck Room, Mister Noble was waiting for him. "I need a favor, mate," he said, wearing a mischievous grin. "As y'can no doubt attest ter, me China's gone all mopey. I reckon 'e could use a bit'a upliftin' and figa y'the riot basta'd fo' it. 'But Misser Noble! Was innit f'me?'" Suddenly, the British man flashed the teen an appalled look. "Neva! In all my years as an educator, 'ave I seen such selfishness! Show some 'eart, Jackie-boy! 'Elp me 'elp me China and I'll 'elp you wif wha' it is y'tryin' ter do.

"Any road! 'Ow's at sound, mmm?"

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Fluxx

"Mary Ljungdhal." Martin's mind presented. "She can look like ozer people, I zink." Martin tried to recall any other bits of information that might help his friend.

"I've seen 'er in ze gardens, maybe try presenting 'er flowers?" he suggests. "I am, per'aps not ze best at dating advice."

"IF I go at all it will most definitely be alone." Regret was palpable in the French boy's voice.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:07 pm

NVAE (Martin; NPCs: Gaspar)
"Well, what about that other new chick? The freshman? Astrid? Or maybe..." He scratched his head. "Wow... Tatjana and Sarah, Kirstie and Eve; Emily, Beatrice, Mary, Astrid... Ellen, Mira... This school is kind of a sausage fest, huh?

"Think they'd let us bring in girls from the outside? I mean, everyone knows what the school is so it's not like that's a big secret, right? Just... with all the Laputa stuff that's gone down... Do you think I could get a pretty little Austrian girl through security?" He smirked to show he was kidding.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Greystone:
[Jack Rexroth]
HP: 8

When Jack had finished another run through the Wreck Room, Mister Noble was waiting for him. "I need a favor, mate," he said, wearing a mischievous grin. "As y'can no doubt attest ter, me China's gone all mopey. I reckon 'e could use a bit'a upliftin' and figa y'the riot basta'd fo' it. 'But Misser Noble! Was innit f'me?'" Suddenly, the British man flashed the teen an appalled look. "Neva! In all my years as an educator, 'ave I seen such selfishness! Show some 'eart, Jackie-boy! 'Elp me 'elp me China and I'll 'elp you wif wha' it is y'tryin' ter do.

"Any road! 'Ow's at sound, mmm?"
Jack brushed a handful of wet hair out of his face as Noble made his offer, and the American wasn't sure if the Brit was actually trying to be more understandable on purpose, or if he'd finally managed to pick up enough of the man's unique style of speaking to make some sense of of the jibber he constantly spewed.

"Sounds like your trying to help your buddy, Mister Bradley. I'm in. What you got in mind?"
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Magnitude
Kasimir Flaegler

"The...dance. To tell you the truth Larrikin, I've given little thought to it." Kas stopped and considered the matter for a moment. "I really haven't met that many of the other students outside of an academic setting, and from what I can tell, most of the women here are being aggressively pursued by at least one suitor if not more. The single man who might share my proclivities seems rather determined to prove there's no curve in his road...so no, I doubt I'll be attending. Maybe I'll go flying instead. I rather enjoy flying I've found."

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Fluxx

"Zis school?" he says, replying in kind. "You *know* she would plant a bomb or try take over or somezing." Even joking around he would not suggest that someone might die. It's too close o the truth.

"So 'oo *is* going to be doing music if you all are not?"

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Jason Lamperouge/Prodigy

It was done, finally. He had spent quite a bit of time on this, and the rewards were at hand. Literally.

Jason smiled down at his palm, circling the two steel balls around and around. They came close, but never actually made contact-which was the whole point of the exercise. They were solid steel and he had forged them himself, a long time ago. The first pair he had ordered were hollow, and he hadn't liked the weight. So in between classes and his other, extracurricular studies, he had fashioned these simple exercise balls, in emulation of ones that had been used in China for centuries. They kept the thin muscles in his hands strong and, more importantly, precise, giving him a greater range of motion and control over his fingers and wrist.

He was walking down the street to a local flower shop to buy a dozen roses-six red, six white-for Eve. He would present them to her when he asked her to the dance tonight. Jason had been there a few days ago, to buy roses for his latest creation, a magical focus, a lens of sorts for necromantic energies. While he had accepted that magic didn't quite follow rules as strictly as science-somewhat-he did still apply his usual logical methods to working with it. The enchantment had been laid, and living and dead tissue had been combined to create something new.

Jason idly touched his side as he left the flower shop. Underneath his cardigan and button-down was a strip of gauze concealing a wicked-looking cut. Some of the tissues in question had come directly from Jason himself-which is why the fetish, such as it was, would only work for him. Chuck would be impressed, he was sure.

The touch of his fingers over his injury sent a small spark of pain, pain that focused his mind. He had distracted himself a lot lately-fencing, studying, refining his magic, working on his structural and artistic skills. He didn't want to think about the fact that his sister was a prisoner of Laputa, and what that meant for his mother. She had to be working against her will, if she was with them at all. She wouldn't have taken Elizabeth, or allowed her to be taken, otherwise. Jason hadn't seen his mother in years, and his memories of her weren't as vast as some of his peers for their parents, but she had still always been more protective of Liz than him.

Laputa was his enemy now, personally, not as a NS who went to the Academy of Vienna, but of Jason Andrew Lamperouge. And they would pay if they got in his way.
Last edited by Arthur Eld on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.