I-Verse: ACG [Last day to submit is Sunday 3/25/12]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Re: I-Verse: Assassins, Conquerors, and Gods [Now recruiting]

Post by Kakashi64 »

XeroKhan wrote:K, so here is my back-up:

Cicero Prank
a.k.a. Jester
Two things

Can you give me the PP expenditure breakdown?

Am I correct in thinking that his melee damage is 4 unless he uses a feat?
[NEXTWAVE] is about [...] absurd levels of destruction and a skewed sense of humor and Spectacle and things blowing up and people getting kicked.

It is especially about THINGS BLOWING UP and PEOPLE GETTING KICKED.

- Warren Ellis, Nextwave Pitch

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: I-Verse: Assassins, Conquerors, and Gods [Now recruiting]

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Ok, background up. :)
Impeach the peach!

Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Re: I-Verse: ACG [Last day to submit is Sunday 3/25/12]

Post by Kakashi64 »

Here's my list of people who expressed interest, and where they are in the character submission process. Please let me know about any errors or omissions.

NineofSpades: [url=ttp://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=968397#p968397]Clover[/url] - done

EnigmaticOne: Prismatic - done

XeroKhan: Jester - questions pending

flynnarrel: Fission - done

Aerlwyn: Reaper - backstory/personality needed

Tinkerbell: initial concept turned down – no further concept submitted

Femme Fatale: initial concept turned down – no further concept submitted

Hound: interest expressed, no concept submitted

Anyone with a status of "done" should still feel free to modify their character submission if wanted. Just let me know you've made changes so I can look 'em over.
Last edited by Kakashi64 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
[NEXTWAVE] is about [...] absurd levels of destruction and a skewed sense of humor and Spectacle and things blowing up and people getting kicked.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

[resubmitted below]
Last edited by flynnarrel on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Kakashi64 »

flynnarrel wrote:Here's my submission, she's an energy controller/utility/support person. I went with PL tradeoffs, hope that was okay, PL 8 so, as an energy controller she won't have as much 'punch' so someone else can really shine on ranged damage. She has a lot in her bag of tricks though.

Fission PL8 180
Dagnab it, I hate to turn down a promising character.

I do not allow the PL/PP trade-off. Also, in a two-player game, having one player run a duplicating character seems rather unbalanced. It's a great idea for a character, and well-executed, but I have to say no.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

The neat thing about her was that Duplication was almost exactly the extra points from the tradeoff, I'll rearrange things and make her PL10. It will take some modification of the post-accident background. and the name 'Fission' doesn't work quite as well now.

Question: which government should she be working for?

Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Kakashi64 »

That's a good question, and a tricky one. If you're willing to re-work the character, then I have a few notes about the background (including answering your question).

For reasons of plot, she can't have been working at Fermilab. For people who immerse themselves in supers culture (and there are quite a few), Fermilab carries the same mystique that Area 51 does for ufologists. Lots of rumors, vague statements from officials, nothing really substantiated. I'd like to keep what goes on there a complete mystery for the players. However, that shouldn't be too big a deal; there are plenty of places around the area that could be looking at those kind of rare isotopes: The University of Chicago, various nuclear facilities, even a made-up government research center.

As to who she's working for, it'd have to be the U.S. government. While there is no doubt a fair amount of international intrigue at play since 1998, it's not on the list of plot elements I want to deal with at this time. However, there is an official federal hero team, The Special Service Corps, comprised of battle-tested and trained 1st-Gen heroes. If she winds up in the game, I'd make her sponsorship "unofficial," meaning she was employed on the QT by a particular government agency, and outside the SSC umbrella.

I would allow her Duplication if it had the Uncontrollable flaw.

Yes I was grinning when I typed that. :) Probably not worth the PP expenditure - but an idea full of potential.

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Aerlwyn »

Reaper

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150

STR: +5 (20), DEX: +5 (20), CON: +4 (18), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +0 (10), CHA: +1 (12)

Tough: +4/+10, Fort: +10, Ref: +10, Will: +10

Skills: Acrobatics 10 (+15), Climb 2 (+7), Concentration 6 (+6), Disable Device 8 (+8), Disguise 3 (+4), Drive 5 (+10), Escape Artist 5 (+10), Handle Animal 3 (+4), Intimidate 7 (+8), Investigate 8 (+8), Knowledge (tactics) 12 (+12), Language 2 (+2), Medicine 4 (+4), Navigate 4 (+4), Notice 6 (+6), Pilot 5 (+10), Ride 1 (+6), Sense Motive 6 (+6), Stealth 9 (+14), Survival 9 (+9), Swim 5 (+10)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, All-Out Attack, Ambidexterity, Attack Focus (melee) 5, Combat Awareness, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Defensive Strike, Diehard, Dodge Focus 5, Elusive Target, Equipment 1, Evasion 2, Fearless, Fighting Style: Sword-fighting, Improved Block, Improved Block, Improved Critical (Sword (Device 2)), Improved Critical 2 (Sword (Device 2)), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Taunt, Twin Weapon Strike, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing)

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 3
Super-Senses 2 (acute (type): Hearing)
Swords (Device 2) (Easy to lose)
- Swords (Strike 4) (DC 24, Feats: Improved Block, Improved Critical (Sword (Device 2)); Mighty)

Equipment: Armored Jumpsuit

Attack Bonus: +5 (Ranged: +5, Melee: +10, Grapple: +15)

Attacks: Sword (Strike 4), +10 (DC 24), Unarmed Attack, +10 (DC 20)

Defense: +10 (Flat-footed: +3), Knockback: -6

Initiative: +13

Languages: English, Japanese, Korean

Totals: Abilities 30 + Skills 30 (120 ranks) + Feats 38 + Powers 11 + Combat 20 + Saves 21 + Drawbacks 0 = 150

Complications
Code of Conduct
Sense of Duty
Sense of Loyality

Backstory
THE BIRTH OF THE REAPER
Emma was just one more latchkey kid from a broken home in Chicago, running the streets with her friends after school. Crime was not something she saw on the six o'clock news. It was right there in front of her everyday. She was not even out of elemetary school before losing the first of her friends to the violence on the streets.

She heard stories about Lupo, heard about how he fought the gangs and the mob. She even saw him one night, when she and her friends accidently wandered into a gang battle, and Batman arrived to stop the violence. As bad as things were in Chicago, without Lupo they would have been so much worse.

Then one day, he was gone. There was no Lupo leaping from the shadows to defeat the bad guys and protect their victims. Criminals began to take over the city. Emma managed to escape the city, leaving for college, just before the very worst of the chaos began.

It was a first year American History class that changed her life. Her professor liked to use the growing problems of New York as an example to prove his various points and theories on the effects of masked crimefighters and metahumans on American culture. He argued that Lupo had made himself the force that criminals feared, meaning that they had no fear or respect for actual law enforcement, causing the escalation in violence and crime when the Lupo was no longer there.

Though the professor meant this as a condemnation of Lupo, Emma saw it differently. If the criminals of Chicago needed a masked crimefighter to be scared of, then a masked crimefighter would have to be provided.

Emma sought out a local dojo that had a reputation for teaching real effective combat skills, and made a deal to trade secretarial and maintenance work for lessons in both hand-to-hand and armed combat. When Sensei Ito saw how focused and devoted she was, he bagan to work with her extensively, even calling in favors from other martial arts instructors to teach her specific skills. He even went so far as to convince his nephew Jason, a talented sneak thief and the family's black sheep, to teach her about stealth, security systems, and other underhanded skills.

For five years Emma worked and trained with incredible intensity. On the night of her college graduation, Sensei Ito gave her a pair of swords, telling her to bear them into battle with honor.
Last edited by Aerlwyn on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel »

Oooh... you tempt me.... No way to make her a functional PL10 and include the duplicate though. That and I already made the changes at the time of seeing this. I'll modify the background too.

Fission PL10 150

Dr. Attanova Yavorenskya defected from Russia in the late 80’s and worked in the U.S. as a biomedical researcher assigned to a waste disposal facility, Omni-labs. Her primary duties were as a safety inspector and medical examiner. The plant handled bio-chemical and radiological wastes including the clean-up from disasters such as the Fermilab accident.

Officially her job was to conduct safety inspections on the plant workers, making sure no ill effects from exposure to these hazardous waste products. Unofficially she was studying the effects of exposure to radiation intent on discovering a cure or treatment for cancer through radiation therapy. She had also harvested a few exotic isotopes which were a byproduct of the strange waste material harvested from Fermilab and other places in hopes one of them held the key. Her dedication and focus had an intensity fueled by her own diagnosis with spreading lung cancer. She was in her assigned lab when alarms went off. She rushed to her nearby storage locker hoping to save a myriad of other experimental isotopes yet to be tested. She had barely filled armfuls of unknown elements. A violent shaking toppled the heavy locker over on to her, shattering vials.
Attanova, caught under some rubble and unconscious from the explosion, bathed in many different flavors of radiation for hours until suited rescue personnel recovered her.

She awoke in shielded isolation.

Attending doctors (from behind shielded areas) told her that her lungs had fused into a giant mass of cancerous tissue and that it was not only threatening to expand, but expelling random bursts of exotic radiation. The good news was that she didn’t seem to need her lungs to function. They would like to do more tests but while she was unconscious no needle could penetrate her shell of solidifying energy. Even when she learned to open the field and gained some mastery over the radiations she emits her body was still wasting away.

With the help of Government scientists they created a procedure to save her life, but it has to be administered daily {Usually off camera}.

Protective lining was created and incorporated into her clothing to guard against the occasional emissions and she was approached by Authorities to become a government(maybe corporate?)-sponsored 'superhero' on a trial basis. She accepted on the condition that she could still work on a cure for cancer, and be allowed the funding to do so.

She’s 5foot 7, 125 lbs. mid 40’s but looks 20’s (a product of her condition).

Fission PL10 150
PL 10 (Off;10[+2hit/-2effect]/Def;10[-2def/+2tough]) 150/150pp

St 8 Dex 10, Con 14, Int, 18, Wis 18, Cha 10 [18pp]

Saves: Toughness 2con+10forcefield, = 12, 7 if suit removed from her.
Fort 2(con) + 7 = 9, Will 4(wis) + 5=9, Reflex +5 [17pp]

Skills [15pp]: Knowledge- Physical sciences 8 (+12), Knowledge- Biological sciences 5 (+9), Medicine 10 (+14), Notice 12(+16), Sense Motive 6 (+10), Concentration 10 (+14), Diplomacy 2 (+2/+6 ), Investigate 4(+8 ) Languages (Russian[Native], English, German, French)

Feats [15pp]: Attractive, Power Attack, Luck 2, Attack Focus – ranged, Attack Specialization Radiation Control 5, improved initiative, Speed of Thought, Eidetic Memory, Move By Attack, Benefit - Government backed

Powers:
Flight, pr 3, Drawback: Medium load only, Partial Extra: 1 rank bought with Continuous [6pp]

Force Field, Continuous, Permanent, Feat: Selective. Drawback: Noticeable pr 5 [5pp]
+ Shield 3 [3pp]
{Continuous effects are Subtle by default, Noticeable indicates that her Force Shields are a visibly shiny, slightly neon green effect. }

Immunities: radioactive environment, Suffocation, [3pp]
Immunities (half effect: )Sleep, Aging [1pp]

Device: Costume(hard to lose [16pp])
Radiation shielding (in costume) : Immunity All Radiation Effects[limited half], {Keeping out radiation is only a tangential effect (and the only one really rules oriented), really, the suit protects others from the random bursts of radiation she tends to give out (a Complication).} (5)
Immunity: cold environment, low pressure, Vacuum,(3)
Force Field 5 (5)
Linked Shield 4 (4)
Enhanced Feat: Withstand Damage (1)
{The Suit amplifies her natural force shield effects to Force Field 10, Shields 7. She can choose to fortify the stopping power of the shields but loses mobility and the ability to avoid attacks. Withstand Damage allows a trade off between Defense and Toughness up to -5/+5. }
Feature: Adapts to form (stays with her in radiation form, and feat Quick Change limited to this suit only) (1)
Enhanced Feat - Equipment 1 (1)
Equipment in Costume: Fire Extinguisher (1ep), Commlink (1ep), Masterwork medkit (1ep), Geiger Counter (Detect Radiation levels) (1ep), laptop(1ep)

Super-senses (sustained) [9pp]: Spatial Awareness, X-Ray (Spatial Awareness), Uncanny Dodge (Spatial Awareness), {being able to perceive all manner of rays lets her remain aware beyond the visible spectrum, in 360 degrees around herself, even seeing into things.}

Radiation Control: [30pp+8ap]
Charged Bombardment - Blast pr 8, Secondary effect, Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, incurable, precise, Penetrating 4. Drawback: no knockback, lethal only
{This is a standard release of focused Radiation. The molecules continue to excite one they hit. And Can affect people or things in alternate states of existence. DC 23 Toughness.}
AP: Overexposure – Fatigue, Area-Line(General), Full-Round action pr 10, Decreased Area (5’/rank), linked Damage, Alt Save-Fort, Area-Line (General), Full Round Action pr 5 (29/30);
{This attack requires an building up of will as Attanova convinces herself to use it despite knowing what it will do. A beam of radiation that soaks into organic matter, capable of liquifying organs from the inside out and draining vitality from those affected. Ref DC 20 for Half, Fatigue Fort DC 20, Damage Fort DC 20. It only goes out to 50 feet.}
AP: Bacta Particles - Healing: Standard action, Total, Feats: Regrowth, Persistent, Stabilize, Extended Touch 3 pr 6 (uses 30/30)
(This exotic radiation is under study by some of the top radiologists. It adds energy to the regrowth centers of the body and can even heal damage thought unhealable. Dr. Attanova's greatest fear is that her new, violent assignment might require her sacrifice before she's found a way to replicate this energy.}
AP: Microwave emissions - Stun, Area Cone [general], pr 10 (30/30)
{Microwave guns have been used for crowd control for decades to cause low-damage, high-intensity sensations to disrupt a person's ability to function. The effects are unpleasant and quite capable of mob dispersal.
Ref DC 20 for half, Stun Fort DC 20}
AP: Nuclear Body - Radiation [alternate] form: insubstantial 3(15pp) {energy – radiation}, + Concealment, Feats: Close. pr6 (13pp) {All visual, normal hearing, normal smell} (28/30)
{She crosses over fully to energy form she still cannot penetrate lead. She is invisible to all spectrums, makes no noise or scent detectible by traditional means.}
AP: Radiation Sickness - Nausea, Range, Auto fire, Feats: Reversible, Homing2, Split attack Pr8 (28/30)
{She bombards a target or targets with unstable, glowing neutrons that Follow them for a limited time in effort do cause bio-disruption. Depending on how well she targets, (+2 over defense), the effects are increased (+1 up to DC of +13 total). Nausea Fort DC 18 to 22, or two effects, DC 14 to 16)
AP: Supercharge flight – Flight 7 + Damage, Area-Trail (General) pr 8 (30/30)
{Flight increases to 10, but She leaves an ion trail that damages anything in her wake. Ref DC 18 for half, Toughness DC 23}
AP: Radioactive Decay – Disintegration, (Ranged Drain Toughness, Affects Objects, Full Round Action, Linked to Blast, Full Round Action 3/r) Increased Range (Apply to both), Precise Shot (Apply to both), incurable (to both) pr 8 (30/30)
{She focuses her low amplitude, high energy ions in attempt to weaken the bond of matter itself. She's loathe to do so. Drain, Fort/Toughness[objects] DC 18, Damage DC 23.}
AP: EM wave - Nullify Electronics (All of Technology descriptor 2/r), Flaw: Range-Touch, Extras: Area – Burst(general), Selective Attack, Feats: Subtle, Progression – Area 2, pr 9 (30/30)
{Choosing to avoid electronics she knows about, she can bombard the area around herself with electro-magnetic emanations to disrupt electronic functioning.}

Combat:
Attack: BAB +1 [2pp]
Ranged +2(BAB),
Radiation attacks +1(BAB)+1 Ranged focus + 10(Radiation specialization)= +12,

Defense: 1 [2pp] +7 shield = +8 (DC 18 to hit, DC 11 if flatfooted, 14 if suit taken from her)
Init: +8
Grapple: +0

Abilities 18+ Saves 17+ Skills 15 +Feats 15 +Powers 79 +Combat 4 -Drawbacks 0 = 150

Drawbacks:

Complications:
Medical Treatment - Needs to undergo Anti-Cancer Therapy daily.
Radiation excess - Random discharge of radiation possible. Usually it's absorbed by her suit but in means she is never comfortable without anti radiation measures. It makes it hard to get close to people.
Survivor’s Guilt re Cancer: Attanova survives with her cancer where many people do not on a daily basis.
Tool of the Establishment - Fission is a governmental asset and can be directed about. She occasionally feels like a monkey in a suit. Especially when they gave her an acting coach who tried (unsuccessfully) to diminish her Russian accent to better appeal to the American public.
Secret – She defected because she was a young researcher at Chernobyl when that Ukrainian plant exploded in 1986. She tries to distance herself from that incident as much as possible. Potential PTSD.
Last edited by flynnarrel on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Post by XeroKhan »

Just posted PP costs for Jester. Also, yes, planning on using the feats to boost damage if need be.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Aerlwyn »

Sorted a rough backstory to go with my character.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Post by XeroKhan »

Any decuded date for decision?

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Kakashi64 »

Shortly. :)

Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Kakashi64 »

Thanks to all for taking the time to submit a character. This was not an easy choice. Interesting characters and interesting power sets. In a different game, it would have been easy to just welcome everyone aboard and take it from there, but I really do want to stick with the two-PC set and see how it works as far as pacing goes.

So, my choices are:

Clover Madison – Nineofspades
Prismatic – EnigmaticOne

Thanks again to everyone.

This afternoon I will be setting up the IC and OOC threads, and posting some setting background material and an introductory IC post.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Woot. My hopes that all who submitted will still be watching. :)
Impeach the peach!