MancerBears Art Den: Andromeda Test

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

MancerBears Art Den: Andromeda Test

Postby mancerbear » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:23 am

G'day Guys and Gals,

As suggested by Demongg, I've created a seperate thread for my art. To christen the new thread, I'd like to present Talabar, the Marsupial Marvel.

Cheers
Last edited by mancerbear on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 53 times in total.

Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Dirigible » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:37 am

Gzaaargh!

W...T...F?

Wow. That's the scariest koala I ever did see. Great lines, great colouring and shading.

Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Psistrike » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:40 am

Now that is a scary, yet awesome animal-based superhero. Love the details you give each piece, especially the colors. Looks like something right out of the Freedom City 2nd Edition book even. Can't wait to see more of your artwork.

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:40 am

Thanks Dirigible :)

Talabar is actually a Tasmainian Devil, though they are related to Koalas :)

Tals player is very happy with him too.

Revhead
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Revhead » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:24 am

Thats my mate Tal!

Awesome job Mancer. Can't wait to see the rest of the Watch members. Maybe you should add the two you have done already for people who mightn't have read your story hour thread.

Will be great to see a pic with Tal and the Kid goin snowboarding or some other extreme sport like they both enjoy doing together.

Cheers
Rev/ The Kid
Wanna see that again???

Kakashi64
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Kakashi64 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:45 am

Holy crap! I can understand why he is sometimes concerned about controlling himself while in that form...
[NEXTWAVE] is about [...] absurd levels of destruction and a skewed sense of humor and Spectacle and things blowing up and people getting kicked.

It is especially about THINGS BLOWING UP and PEOPLE GETTING KICKED.

- Warren Ellis, Nextwave Pitch

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:07 pm

Psistrike wrote:Now that is a scary, yet awesome animal-based superhero. Love the details you give each piece, especially the colors. Looks like something right out of the Freedom City 2nd Edition book even. Can't wait to see more of your artwork.

I agree.
Nice work.

You definately should drop in the other super pix you've done. One big thread for folks to comment on.

As I mentioned before I think it'd be cool to see you grab a few ideas from un-illustrated characters from Freedom City and draw them!
Can anyone think of some good ones?

I know the Ronin Arts FC archetypes showed images for some like American Eagle (I think), then there's all the various older heroes like

- The Patriot (in old form and new android form!)
- The Bluesman
- Also the various characters noted in 2025 from the Annual, The Tyranny Legion, A poster named dunlaing illustrated some of them before but they'd be AWESOME in your style!! Check them out at: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... light=deus

hope that inspires...
-kev-

"With great power..."

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 pm

Thanks again guys.

Demongg,
I definitely plan on doing some of the unillustrated FC characters, but first I have to get through all of my players characters. If I went ahead and did some others first, they'd lynch me :)

As requested, I've added the previous two illustrations I've doen of my player characters. First is the Utopian Envoy, Andromeda.

And next we have the hero once known as Revhead, who now goes by the name his mentor once used, Kid Rush.

Hope I haven't broken any board polices by posting them here. If needed, I'll remove them from my Story Hour thread.

Cheers
Last edited by mancerbear on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talabar
Bystander
Bystander

TALABAR

Postby Talabar » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:38 pm

HEY!! THAT'S ME!! (Trots up and sniffs the image of himself)
I have been waiting for this pic for a while now and I have to say that it is going to bring a whole new dimension to playing Talabar.

The art is AMAZING and it's almost asif Mancer did a brain drain on me in my sleep and lifted him straight off my imagination.

This is EXACTLY how I have always seen him and he fits in perfectly with what I have been evolving the character into.

Mancer is an amazing talent and anyone who says differently can talk to me....or TALABAR.
Be the change you want to see in the world

ReeboKesh
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ReeboKesh » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:32 pm

Mancerbear. I bow to you. Talabar looks AWESOME!

Tech question, how are you doing the colour shades? It looks like your using Illustrator to get the precise shapes. Or a you using the Polygon Lasso Tool in Photoshop? As a certain auusie would-be politician was known to say "PLEASE EXPLAIN?"

Reebo

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:36 pm

ReeboKesh wrote:Mancerbear. I bow to you. Talabar looks AWESOME!

Tech question, how are you doing the colour shades? It looks like your using Illustrator to get the precise shapes. Or a you using the Polygon Lasso Tool in Photoshop? As a certain auusie would-be politician was known to say "PLEASE EXPLAIN?"

Reebo

Thanks Reebo.

I'm using Photoshop CS, and the Polygon Lasso Tool for my cuts. I occasionally use the Gradient Tool to colour, but mostly just use the Bucket with the right colour. If I've got to shade over a few different colours, then I use the Brightness/Contrast bar. Lastly, I'll add a Lense Flare to eyes or goggles.

I havent' figured out how to do glows properly yet. I tried to get Talabar's eyes glowing last night, but it just wasn't happening for me. I think I know where I went wrong, so I'll have a go toniight and see if I can't get it down pat.

Cheers,

ReeboKesh
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ReeboKesh » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:55 pm

Yep. I knew it. I've been using Photoshop for enough years to recognise the Polygon Lasso Tools handy work. Another way to do shading or highlights is using a Darken or Screen brush of the same colour your trying to shade or highlight.

Glows can be done in so many ways. Google "Glowing Effect in Photoshop" and you should get a couple hundred hits! ;-)

Looks like I'll be busy drawing this weekend. Thankfully the Teen heroes aren't as numerous as The New Watch.

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:09 pm

mancerbear wrote:I havent' figured out how to do glows properly yet. I tried to get Talabar's eyes glowing last night, but it just wasn't happening for me.

This might help, or might not...
But a trick I do alot is to do this:
- Duplicate the layer
- select the area you want to effect (like the eyes)
- inverse the selection
- delete everything else
- now you have a layer ONLY with the eyes
- You can then give it any effect or even use the hue/saturation to change colors to that ONE area.
- It makes the effect ON TOP of the original beneath (which you can always default back to.

When I'm coloring I almost always isolate areas that are different colors like that so that at a drop of a hat I can immediately Hue/Saturation and alter the color.
For Example:
If I have all the RED in Superman's costume on ONE layer, the blue on another, the yellow/gold, his skin tones, and the black line art ALL on seperate layers it's easy to alter colors.

But you may have known that already... :)
-kev-

"With great power..."

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:31 pm

I use a similar technique but I use channels and layers.

Flats on one channel, Inks on a seperate layer as is the background and the colours. Any special effects go on a seperate layer as well.

Cheers,

Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Dirigible » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:07 pm

Talabar is actually a Tasmainian Devil, though they are related to Koalas Smile

Tasmanian devil, eh? Hope he doesn't get that infectious facial cancer that's going around :(

Return to “Drawing Board”