Cricket's Crime Files (Issue 4 - Shattered!)

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Cricket's Crime Files (Issue 4 - Shattered!)

Postby Shinobi » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:42 am

This is my first entry into my new “Crime Computer” ™. Danielle managed to scrounge one up for me and even installed a police scanner. Coo-ool!

Well, where do I begin? Since I’m encrypting these files I may as well start off with a bit of a background about who I am.

My name is Chris Jenkins. I also go by the name of ‘The Cricket’. I am a super-hero. Weird, huh? Sometimes it is... anyway, I live in the Fens. It’s a really bad neighbourhood but it’s all my Mom could afford after my Dad took off. I mean, she’s had to raise my sister and me since I was 13 and my sister 15. Let’s just say he’s not really in anyone’s good books (BTW I’m 15 now). My Mom’s a nurse and she’s also been doing some extra work down at the local corner store, trying to pay the rent and keep some money aside to get us out of here. My sister left school and now holds down a waiting job in Midtown. That’s convenient for me, because I earned a scholarship to Midtown High. Yeah, Chris Jenkins - Boy Genius!!
Let’s just say I was tired of the body searching at the local school. Anyway, it was the first week of semester and we had a field trip to Freedom City University. We were looking at the a telescope they had bought and also seeing whether college life was for us. Well, I happened to break off from the group to answer nature’s call (the call to pull my underwear out from the great divide, so eloquently positioned by Bruiser O’Doil). I’d retrieved my shorts and was trying to find my way back to the group when some crazy scientist ran up behind me and emptied a syringe of yellow goo into my butt! Let’s just say my butt had seen better days.

I kind of got all woozy and somehow managed to stumble into the cafeteria. People were screaming and I could see (through blurry eyes) some guy hurling electrical bolts at the scientist. Maybe he’d had his butt syringed too? Anyway, lightning bolts and gas stoves don’t mix well. There was a huge explosion and I kind of blacked out. When I came to, I was choking on smoke and there were flames all around me. The only thing I could see was a light through the smoke. I leapt at it and smashed up and out of a window... 30 feet above the cafeteria!! Somehow, I managed to get home and luckily my Mom and sister were visiting my Gran because I slept for two days. When I woke up, whatever that stuff was had made some changes. Suffice to say, my anatomy is not quite, or should I say fully, human anymore. Unless you call retractable talons on your arms, legs, toes and fingers, human?

ImageImage
I also had two zits on my hairline. Turns out I wasn’t in need of Clearasil after all. They were vestigial antennae. And they kind of enable me to be on my guard 24-7. Well, when I’m conscious anyway.

The next day, I discovered I had a lot of strength. I pulled open the fridge and nearly pulled the fridge over on me. I could climb the walls like a bug and my legs... my legs could propel me great distances in single bounds. You see, the bone structure in my legs had changed (and are probably still) enabling me to build up a great deal of kinetic energy that snaps off into a huge leap. I scared the hell out of myself the first time it happened but luckily my body has adapted to land okay.

Well it turned out that the electrical guy, who calls himself Voltage, was trying to “persuade” the FCU Professor to hand over his bug research. What I hadn’t noticed was the Professor had slipped his research into my backpack. You don’t notice these things when someone syringe sticks you. Seems most of his research ended up in my gluteus maximus.

I tried to do the right thing, I mean the story was all over the news, and I called the cops and agreed to meet them in a public place... High School of course. You guessed it, crooked cops, as if I hadn’t seen enough Jackie Chan movies to see that coming a mile away. Instead of cops, it was that guy Sparkplug, looking for me. Well, luckily for me it was some primitive sporting ritual - the homecoming parade (or whatever), and I got to see Tiff for the first time in her cheerleader get-up... woo-hoo... sorry about that, anyway, the Crickets, our oh-so-mighty team had beaten the Kingston Crows and the geniuses had the two teams’ mascots duking it out on a float. I climbed into the float and hid (holding my breath because the guys in the suits had been drinking a little more than Gatorade, that’s for sure).

Well, old Static got a bit upset and started roughing up some of the guys from school. I had to do something. A stray electrical bolt KOed the mascots and I dragged the Cricket guy into the float - let’s just say it was an inspired idea suiting up in a sweaty, booze soaked mascot suit. Then I popped outside to calm Sparky down which, eventually, I managed to do by swatting him with someone’s Harley. So I guess if this were a comic, old Carpet Zap is my first Rogue.

Mom’s calling me to dinner, I’ll tell you about the Glad Bag Man next time. Over and out.

This is the first installment of the Cricket's commentry of Reebo's adventures. I am planning on posting art with these posts... scenes from our adventures. Coming next - Plasmaster attack! - with image of the Plasmodic one.
Last edited by Shinobi on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 19 times in total.

ReeboKesh
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ReeboKesh » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:17 pm

I love it mate! I think writing it in journal form is the best way to do it. I love journal entry style story hours, you can really get into a character's head.

Soon the Atomic Think Tank will be taken over by Teen Superhero games! Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha! :twisted:
Let's not tell anyone that the players are 30+ year old guys! :wink:

Looking forward to more from The Cricket!
Reebo

Corsair
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Corsair » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:59 pm

Wish you guys lived near me! Sounds like a fun game.

ReeboKesh
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ReeboKesh » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:46 am

Hey Corsair we wish more gamers lived near us too!
Down under in Sydney, good gamers, heck even average gamers, are hard to find. We've been lucky that we recently met Vradna (real name withheld to protect the innocent :wink:) and he has fit the group like proverbial Infinity Gauntlet.
I'm glad to have him aboard and you'll get to meet his character in the next installment of the Power and Responsibility story hour up soon.
Reebo
P.S. I've read Cricket next crimefile and it's hilarious!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:28 am

Not bad! This certainly seems to be thread worthy of further observation.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:51 pm

ReeboKesh wrote:Hey Corsair we wish more gamers lived near us too!
Down under in Sydney, good gamers, heck even average gamers, are hard to find. We've been lucky that we recently met Vradna (real name withheld to protect the innocent :wink:) and he has fit the group like proverbial Infinity Gauntlet.
I'm glad to have him aboard and you'll get to meet his character in the next installment of the Power and Responsibility story hour up soon.
Reebo
P.S. I've read Cricket next crimefile and it's hilarious!

LOL.... and you live in Sydney too, which has a larger population (marginally) than Melbourne. Good players are even harder to come by down here, but I gotta say, I've got some of the best ones in my group I think.

There is unfortunately a big gaming clique down here, one that if you weren't in it from the beginning, then there's no way ya gonna get in it now. When I approached a local gamer down here to offer him a place in my group his response was "I'm already in a gaming group and we don't accept new players". Excuse me fo trying to offer you a place in my group! A real pity that, but hey, new gamers are popping up all the time.

Great work Shiobi. Realy gives an insight into your character.

Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Shinobi » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:05 pm

Added some pics for effect (hopefully a good one). I'm planning on having pics with each entry - I have two in the works to post with the next Crime File.

Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Shinobi » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:33 pm

Back again. Anyway, I’ll explain here how I met some of my team mates. It was after school on a Friday and I was in the Millennium Mall. I’d gone into Toys ‘R’ Us and was looking to buy a NightFalcon ™ figure. An action figure thankyou very much, not a DOLL. Can you explain that to your sister? No. Pointless exercise.

So, I was sorting through all of the unsold Sunturias ™ (they should have given the figure more curves), when I heard a lot of screaming and yelling. I wandered down the isle and looked up at the front of the store to see crowds of people running from… dummies. Store mannequins were animating and attacking shoppers. I had stitched a lame excuse for a costume together and considered changing when the Toys ‘R’ Us Darth Vader ™ mannequin came after me. Now, had he been the real thing, I’d have pledged allegiance (I have a high midiclorian count or should I say gryllidae count) but instead this 7-foot tall hunk of plastic wanted to pull an Episode IV on my unsuspecting Obi Wan self. No one was looking so I vaulted up a shelf and dropped down on Vader’s shoulders, kicking his head free. I heard more screaming and canned the telephone booth scene, opting for a more unique disguise.

The first time I saw Light Boy, AKA Night Light, AKA Kid Light, AKA Declan, he was floating around melting attack dummies. When I landed on the railing beside him, shoeless and wearing Darth Vader’s mask, I’m pretty sure he didn’t know what to think.

“Hi sparkles.” I greeted him (oh yeah, AKA Sparkles), and I guessed we were on the same team. I told him there had to be someone controlling these dummies. They were pawns… (did I mention I’m in the Chess Club at school?) Light Bulb can control light and he dropped the dummies surrounding us into darkness, this didn’t bother me since my Cricket vision ™ enables me to see in the dark. Well, all of the mannequins in the darkness stopped moving - I looked up at the blackened security camera and a small light bulb appeared above my head… that was an idea, not Kid Light.

We saw a dismembered mannequin flying past us and I leapt up to see my future wife… well one of them anyway… Tiffany was hurling dummies left, right and centre as the zombie-like plastic statues tore sensuously at her clothes, piece by piece, thread by thread, layer by layer, more and more flesh visible to my glowing friend and I… After what seemed an eternity, I thought I’d better see if she needed any help.

Tiff recognised my voice, (that never happens in the comics!) and she said something but I was distracted by her retro Smurfette underwear. We heard gunfire and after checking where Smurfette was heading one more time, I saw another student from Midtown High came blasting his way out of Wal-Mart and headed in our direction. It was the basketball jock, Zac. He’s a pretty cool guy and he was packing some “borrowed” firearms. I imagine he was living out some Resident Evil fantasy as he weaved amongst the “zombies” blasting their heads to pieces.

I remembered my idea and told Kid Light and Tiff that the best place to control all of these mannequins was from the security room. The three of us checked the mall’s location directory and headed to the security room, only to find an army of flesh eating undead… just kidding, an army of walking mannequins shambling around the entrance. What were we to do? (Too melodramatic?)

Immediately, Kid Light flew at a security camera and disappeared in a twinkle of light. I leaped to the ceiling and crawled over the dummies as they charged Tiff. She picked up a bench and skittled a heap of them as Zac came along blasting any survivors.

When I entered the security room, I saw a guy dressed in duct tape and plastic rain clothes leering down at Declan - this was when I worked out Declan was my photon charged companion. Electrical cables snaked around, zapping nearer and nearer to Declan. Whilst he was distracted, I carefully placed the soul of my foot on the side of The Plasmaster’s ™ head… after jumping at it. He stumbled over and growled some clumsy plastic threat, and then he hurled a plastic bag that wrapped around the Vader helmet, obscuring my vision and cutting off my oxygen supply. I pulled a Wolverine and popped my claws and started shredding the bag.
There was a large crash and when I decided it was easier just to remove the helmet, I saw Tiffany standing over Plasmaster, pealing the duct tape off his eyebrows (Ouch!).

Zac arrived and stole the security videos to protect our identities and to help Garbage Bag Man get off on a technicality in court.

Tiff took off, refusing to show us if she had a matching Smurfette top… no refusing to entertain the idea of us forming a super team. So Zac, Declan and I met on the roof and I had changed into my original costume, which Zac called goofy. There we made a sacred pledge… no, we just agreed to not be strangers at school (like in the Breakfast Club) and Zac, who at that time didn’t seem to have any real powers, decided he would be our media liaison, calling himself: Superdude. I decided to make a new, less goofy costume.

Anyway, I have to sleep. Next time I’ll write up our exciting bank heist experience. I call it… Noise and Nausea at the Bank.

The picture is just a temp whilst I'm working on the full sized colour pic.
Last edited by Shinobi on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

ReeboKesh
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ReeboKesh » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:52 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Zac arrived and stole the security videos to protect our identities and to help Garbage Bag Man get off on a technicality in court.

"...help Garbage Man get OFF on a technicality in court." So he's free?! Mwah ha ha ha! "Thanks Superbrats!" - Plasmaster

Reebo

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:33 am

I like the style of this writeup. May I ask if your G.M has been watching Doctor Who recently? :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Shinobi » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:28 am

Hey Libra,
Reebo is my GM and Mancerbear wrote the adventure... and I'm sure there's a heavy Doctor Who influence... I'm sure WHEN Plasmaster returns he'll have the big green bins after us!!! :wink:

Glad you're enjoying them.

Corsair
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Corsair » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:59 am

I demand you crazy aussies move to the US. :P

ReeboKesh
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ReeboKesh » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:03 am

Hey Corsair pay for the airfair for Shinobi and I, and our families, and set up jobs for us and we'll be on the first plane out of here, right Shinobi?.... Shinobi?

Seriously I had the opportunity to move to the US when I was in High School but didn't take it. Oh well, next life time.

Reebo

bubba242
Hireling
Hireling

Postby bubba242 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:13 am

I demand we see a picture of smurfette in all her glory!

Aroogah! Aroogah!

Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Shinobi » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:21 am

bubba242 wrote:I demand we see a picture of smurfette in all her glory!

Aroogah! Aroogah!

I agree. Oh, hang on, that means I have to draw it... okay give me a week of two... or three... months or so.

Return to “M&M Story Hour”