Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Permanent Powers in an array?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!

Permanent Powers in an array?

Postby Mendicant » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:22 am

I was tooling around with a character and was going to make regeneration a base power in an array, then I noticed the duration was permanent. As I understand it, permanent powers can not be used in an array, as they also are not viable targets for extra effort and power stunting, however, I've seen several builds by notable thinktank luminaries where this is done.

Is this correct; can you simply turn permanent powers (eg protection, regeneration, etc) on and off by placing them in an array?
Insert solipsism here
Mendicant
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Black Mamba » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:37 am

Within the Core Rules Permanent Powers cannot be put into Alternate Power Arrays, nor can they have Alternate Powers. The only way to make it legal is to change the Duration from Permanent to Sustained for +/-0. The optional UP rules do allow Permanent Powers to be put into Arrays. I personally find this munchkin as it bypasses the Flaw, effectively granting the character free points.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville
Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Mendicant » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks, yeah I have to agree it seems a little cheesy to work it that way. I can see an argument for paying them up to continuous and then placing them in an array though.
Insert solipsism here
Mendicant
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Black Mamba » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:48 am

Mendicant wrote:Thanks, yeah I have to agree it seems a little cheesy to work it that way. I can see an argument for paying them up to continuous and then placing them in an array though.

I would have no problem if someone used Continuous or Concentration on the build. I used the Sustained example because the cost does not change between the two. :)
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville
Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Mendicant » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 am

I used the Sustained example because the cost does not change between the two.

Thanks, no I understand that, I was just referring back (at least to my own internal dialogue) to the case of regeneration, where a continuous (or permanent) duration would have distinct advantages over sustained.
Insert solipsism here
Mendicant
Sidekick
Sidekick

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)