Daniel's Retros - Blowing Up The Earth in 3E

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Daniel's Retros - Blowing Up The Earth in 3E

Postby daniel_ream » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:43 am

I'm going to start posting my conversions from old superhero RPGs (V&V, Champions, GURPS Supers, etc) here, and I'm including an index page here so people can find them a little more easily.

A note on flavour text (or lack thereof) in these writeups: many of these books are still in print, and even if they aren't, the publisher is still in business (even if only nominally so in the case of FGU). A great many old-school RPG books and publishers are finding their way back into circulation with the rise of e-publishing. What this means is that if I provide complete M&M stats and complete flavour text for these books/characters, I've just taken away the ability of the original publisher to sell you either the original or a revised Superlink copy of their book.

As the software pirates like to say, if you like it, support the company and buy the original.

Addenda: I am, however, including flavour text from some of the old Champions 3rd & 4th edition books I'm converting characters from. My understanding is that the IP rights for these characters and their descriptions is still held by Hero Games. However, Hero Games shows no sign of re-releasing these books. Some of the 3rd and 4th edition characters have been re-released in 5th edition compilations, but they have been rewritten and changed dramatically. As of 3/12/2010, there is no way to obtain the original versions of these characters outside of the expensive rare book market.

Rants
Why I Think PDF Publishing and Open Licenses Will Destroy The RPG Industry
Blowing Things Up, Like The Earth (DCA/3E Math)
Why I Think DCA Was Rushed Out the Door
My House Rules for DCA/3E

Villains & Vigilantes

Assassin
Assassin (PL 12)
Psi-Storm (PL 10)
Ward (PL 10)
Antaeus (PL 10)
Avalanche (PL 10)
F.O.R.C.E. II (PL 12)
Deflector (PL 10)
Pyre (PL 10)
Hailstorm (PL 10)
Oscillator (PL 10)

Most Wanted 3
Armada (PL 8)

Opponents Unlimited
Prankster (PL 8)
SirrianDor (PL 10)
Ben (PL 10)
The Shroud (PL 10)
Ronky (PL 10)
UIY 2249(PL 12)
Sargeant Ramble (PL 10)
Wavemistress (PL 11)
Hoopsnake (PL 9)
B.A.D. - "Auntie" Phil Barton (PL 8)
B.A.D. - DeathKite (PL 8)
B.A.D. - The Amazing Kudebuck (PL 12)
B.A.D. - Cosmic Zoom (PL 14)
B.A.D. - Zairobs (PL 9)
B.A.D. - SWARMMaster (PL 8)

Most Wanted I
Bandit (PL11)
Beekeeper (PL10)
Buzzard (PL4)
Crossfire (PL11)
Dragonhand (PL12)
Ebony Angel (PL10)

GURPS Supers

Black Pearl (PL10)
Dwarfstar (PL10)
Chemico (PL10)
Darkshell (PL12)
Icepick (PL10)
Kodiak (PL 10)
Mount Fuji (PL 12)
Necron (PL 12)
Poprock (PL 12)

Champions

Strike Force
Lightrune (PL 8)
Phosphene (PL8)
la Panthere (PL8)
Stunner (PL10)
ShadowWalker (PL8)
Kestrel (PL10)
Luster (PL8)
Plasma Ranger (PL10)
Skyrocket (PL11)
Shade (PL10)
Samiel (PL10)

San Angelo: City of Heroes
Corona (PL10)
Azteca (PL10)
Cavalier (PL10)
Lotus (PL10)
Savant (PL10)
The Bard (PL 8)
Dynamo (PL10)
Paragon (PL8)
Amok (PL13)
Bloodsport (PL8)
Phobia (PL7)
Photon (PL14)
Siren (PL10)

Villainy Unbound

Mass Reaction
o Bomb (PL8)
o Echo (PL8)
o Fallout (PL10)
o Flower (PL8)
o Meltdown (PL10)
o Ringer (PL10)

World-Wide League of Crime
o Sharpes (PL10)
o Deathblow (PL10)
o Snake (PL10)

PSI-KIN
o Crimson (PL7)
o Alabaster (PL9)
o Emerald (PL8)
o Indigo (PL8)

PLUNDER
o Phobos and Deimos (PL11)
o Silver Dragon (PL10)
o Sleeper (PL12)
o Terastar (PL11)

Borealis (PL12)
Invictus (PL13)
Red Baron (PL8)
Citadel (PL11/14)
The Engineer (PL12)
The Remover (PL9)
Death Rider (PL9)
Titaness (PL7)
Hitsusatsu (PL11) & Kawaii (PL9)
Silhouette (PL10)
Lionslayer (PL10)
Malachite (PL11)
Gemini (PL10,PL8)
Night Shade (PL10)
Mentalax (PL8)
Last edited by daniel_ream on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 72 times in total.
"This is a superhero game. We are Not at Home to Mr. Physics."
Daniel's Thread of Retro Gaming Conversions (3E version)
Carthago delenda est; forum requirere lenitor.

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:42 pm

And now, returning from ATT's unfortunate hiatus, the Brotherhood of Amoral Dudes (B.A.D.)![1]

Introducing the ringleader, "Auntie" Phil Barton, and her good-for-nothing son, the DeathKite!

"Auntie" Phil Barton

"That's far enough, hero. Bet ya din't think this li'l old lady was gonna be a problem, did ya?"

Group Affiliation: B.A.D.
Base of Operations: B.A.D. HQ
First Appearance: Opponents Unlimited
Personal Stats: Female, 56, grey hair, watery blue eyes, 5'2, 115 lbs.
Appearance: Conservatively dressed in business casual attire

Power Level 8/80 PP

Abilities: STR 9 [+0], DEX 12 [+1], CON 10 [+0], INT 14 [+2], WIS 13 [+1], CHA 16 [+3]

Saves: Toughness +0, Fortitude +3, Reflex +5, Will +7

Skills: Bluff 12 (+15), Diplomacy 13 (+16), Gather Information 10 (+13), Knowledge (streetwise) 8 (+10), Intimidate 8 (+11), Search 4 (+6), Sense Motive 10 (+11), Stealth 7 (+8)

Feats: Attack Focus (ranged) 4, Connected, Contacts, Leadership, Master Plan, Skill Mastery (Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Sense Motive), Ultimate Skill (Diplomacy)

Devices: Energy Luger (Easy to Lose) 4 (Blast 10)

Combat: Attack +2 (+6 ranged), Grapple +2, Damage +0 (unarmed), +10 (Energy Luger), Defense +4, Knockback -0, Initiative +1

Complications: Age, Well-Known Ex-Con

Costs: Abilities 15 + Skills 18 + Feats 10 + Powers 12 + Combat 12 + Saves 13 = Total 80

Converter's Notes: Pretty simple build - a low-level thug with a gun, really ("Who needs super-powers? I have a blaster!"). In the source, Auntie Phil has a low-level superpower that lets her convince people of just about anything, given enough time and interaction. As the rules for it are written, any M&M power would be kind of overkill. I've chosen to represent it with Ultimate Skill (Diplomacy) as the mechanics match the original better.

DeathKite

"Weeeeee-haa!"

Personal Stats: Male, 19, brown hair, brown eyes, 5'11”, 170 lbs.
Appearance: Scarlet hawk wings, helm, and feathered boots, technological eyepieces, metal choker

Power Level 8/76 PP

Abilities: STR 14 [+2], DEX 14 [+2], CON 14 [+2], INT 9 [+0], WIS 10 [+0], CHA 10 [+0]

Saves: Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Reflex +6, Will +4

Skills: Bluff 2 (+2), Disable Device 4 (+4), Profession (Locksmith) 2 (+2)

Feats: Attack Specialization (Sonic Screamer), Defensive Attack, Favored Environment 1 (airborne), Move-By Action, Taunt

Devices: Antigrav Harness 2 (hard to lose; Flight 5), Ocular Helm 1 (hard to lose; Super-Senses 5 [Infravision, Extended x2 on Sight, Extended x2 on Infravision]), Sonic Screamer 4 (hard to lose; Stun 8 [Extras: Range; Flaws: Additional Save (Reflex)])

Combat: Attack +6, +8 (Sonic Screamer), Grapple +8, Damage +2 (unarmed), Defense +6, Knockback -1, Initiative +2

Drawbacks: Normal Identity (Common, Major)

Complications: No One Takes Him Seriously (And For Good Reason)

Costs: Abilities 11 + Skills 2 + Feats 5 + Powers 28 + Combat 24 + Saves 9 + Drawbacks -3 = Total 76

Converter's Notes: DeathKite is barely supervillain level - he's more of a sidekick to the rest of B.A.D. Despite appearances, his wings don't actually do anything - his Flight power comes from the antigrav chest harness he wears. Depending on how you want to play this, you might want to give him a rank of Subtle to reflect this.

His Sonic Screamer gets Additional Save (Reflex) and should use the same mechanics as Sense-Dependent for targets defending themselves by covering their ears, etc.

[1] No, I'm not kidding. That's really what they're called.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:18 am

Holy Demented! :shock:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:34 am

Yeah. Stefan Jones was clearly of the Hostess Fruit Pie School of villain design back in the 80s. Wait until I get around to posting Cosmic Zoom and Zairobs.

Once B.A.D. is done, that's it for Opponents Unlimited. I actually use a heavily modified Tarot Masters organization in my games, so I'll post that as soon as I find the writeups. After B.A.D. I'm moving on to Most Wanted Vol. I, which is still available from DriveThruRPG and has villains that are somewhat less silly.

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:16 pm

News Flash! DriveThruRPG's having a sale on V&V merchandise all this week.

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:38 am

More B.A.D. Crazyness, with The Amazing Kudebuck and Cosmic Zoom!

THE AMAZING KUDEBUCK

"Come closer, hero. Tell me what you see."

Personal Stats: Male, 44, black eyes, brown skin, 4'1”, 80 lbs.
Appearance: Hunchbacked and oddly proportioned, clad only in a red loincloth

Power Level 12/174 PP

Abilities: STR 12 [+1], DEX 14 [+2], CON 14/20 [+2/+5], INT 20 [+5], WIS 12/20 [+1/+5], CHA 18 [+4]

Saves: Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Reflex +6, Will +10

Skills: Bluff 12 (+16), Concentration 12 (+17), Escape Artist 8 (+10), Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 8 (+13), Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 8 (+13), Language 3 (Nepali, Sanskrit, Hindi), Notice 8 (+13), Perform (Clown) 1 (+5), Profession (Monk) 4 (+9), Sense Motive 8 (+13), Stealth 8 (+14)

Feats: Distract, Improved Defense 2, Taunt, Trance

Powers: Enhanced CON 6, Enhanced WIS 8 [Alternate Power: Immunity 16 (Stun conditions, suffocation, need for sleep, emotion control, mind control) (Flaws: Limited, half effect)], Enhanced Will Save 5, Illusions 12 (all sense types, 4 PP/rank) (Power Feats: Progression 3; Extras: Selective Attack; Flaws: Phantasm), Protection 4, Shrinking 4 (Power Feats: Innate; Extras: Duration; Flaws: Permanent),

Combat: Attack +6/+7, Grapple +3, Damage +1 (unarmed), Defense +8/+9, Knockback -2, Initiative +2

Complications: Twisted and Ugly Little Dwarf, Illegal Alien

Costs: Abilities 34 + Skills 20 + Feats 5 + Powers 80 + Combat 28 + Saves 7 = Total 174

Converter's Notes: A straightforward single-power villain. Again, I've used Enhanced Will with some limited immunities to represent Willpower Type A. Kudebuck is V&V Level 10 in the original writeup, so I've boosted him to PL 12 for M&M. Since he has no real combat skills, the PL serves only as a cap on his Illusion rank.

In the original writeup, the illusions are "holographic", but given the background of the character it makes more sense for them to be mental illusions. Similarly, I've made most of his enhanced mental abilities into Powers, to reflect their origin in mysticism. YMMV.

COSMIC ZOOM

"(while changing size) Zooooooooom!"

Personal Stats: Male, 31 years old, sandy blonde hair, green eyes, 6'1”, 190 lbs.
Appearance: Full hardhat diving suit with chest logo, carrying giant sword

Power Level 10/139 PP

Abilities: STR 18/38/1 [+4/+14/-5], DEX 14 [+2], CON 14/24/14 [+2/+7/+2], INT 16 [+3], WIS 10 [+0], CHA 10 [+0]

Saves: Toughness +2/+7/-3 (+9/+16/+4 with Suit), Fortitude +9/+14/+9, Reflex +6, Will +6

Skills: Climb 4 (+8/+8/-1), Concentration 8 (+8), Intimidate 8 (+8/+20/-2), Profession (Hard Hat Diving) 8 (+11), Search 4 (+7), Stealth 0 (+2/-10/+22), Swim 8 (+12/+12/+3)

Feats: All-Out Attack, Distract, Improved Block, Improved Critical (sword) 2, Power Attack

Powers: Growth 10 (Alternate Power: Shrinking 20)

Devices: Armored Diving Suit (hard to lose) 3 (Protection 7, Extras: Impervious), Bastard Sword 2 (easy to lose) (Strike 6)

Combat: Attack +9/+5/+21, Grapple +13/+33/-4, Damage +4/+14/-5 (unarmed) +6/+14/+1 (sword), Defense +9/+5/+21, Knockback -8/-23/+0, Initiative +2

Drawbacks: Must Make Living Sacrifices Every Full Moon or Lose Growth and Shrinking (Uncommon, Minor)

Complications: Suffers Blackouts When He Makes His Sacrifices

Costs: Abilities 22 + Skills 10 + Feats 6 + Powers 49 + Combat 36 + Saves 17 + Drawbacks -1 = Total 139

Converter's Notes: Hostess Fruit Pies. Seriously.

The stats are listed as normal/full Growth/full Shrinking.

I've bought the Armored Suit and Bastard Sword as Devices because the writeup says they're "treated"[1] to grow and shrink with him and I don't think Equipment allows for that. YMMV.

[1] With what, exactly? Physics-Be-Gone?
Last edited by daniel_ream on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:47 am

Don't look now, true believers - and I mean that literally - here comes Zairobs!

ZAIROBS

"Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Niagara Falls! Slowly I turned, step by step..."

Personal Stats: Male, 31 years old, bald, yellow eyes, 5'10”, 160 lbs.
Appearance: Jet black skin, covered in glowing yellow-orange symbols

Power Level 9/100 PP

Abilities: STR 14 [+2], DEX 18 [+4], CON 16 [+3], INT 10 [+0], WIS 14 [+2], CHA 10 [+0]

Saves: Toughness +6 (+3 flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +8, Will +4

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+12), Climb 6 (+8), Concentration 6 (+8), Escape Artist 6 (+10), Intimidate 4 (+4), Notice 6 (+8), Sense Motive 6 (+8), Stealth 6 (+10)

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, All-out Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Elusive Target, Evasion 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Throw, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Power Attack, Redirect, Stunning Attack, Takedown Attack, Uncanny Dodge (visual)

Powers: Emotion Control 9 (Power Feats: Progression; Extras: Continuous, Area Perception; Flaws: Permanent, Limited: Fear Only, Range 2, Uncontrolled)

Combat: Attack +10, Grapple +12, Damage +2 (unarmed), Defense +10, Knockback -3, Initiative +8

Complications: Psychosomatic Stigmata Activate Whenever Zairobs is Angry or Fighting; Completely Batsh!t Crazy

Costs: Abilities 20 + Skills 12 + Feats 17 + Powers 3 + Combat 40 + Saves 8 = Total 100

Converter's Notes: A really cool concept, marred by a particularly incomprehensible backstory. Zairobs as written is a low-level Martial Artist with one Power: his psychosomatic stigmata (yes, that's what they're called) scare the living daylights out of anyone who sees them. This was a bit of a crufty build, combining far too many modifiers for a simple effect: anyone who sees him gets freaked out. It ends up being 1PP/3 ranks.

In the writeup, Zairobs wears tearaway jumpsuits and makeshift helmets to prevent his teammates from being affected by his stigmata until he chooses to unleash them, but I haven't bothered to assign points to that. I consider it part of the Sense-Dependent Flaw.

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Finally, the villain you've been waiting for - the sinister

SWARMaster

"Say hello to my little friends."

Personal Stats: Male, 35 years old, light brown hair, blue eyes, 6'0”, 210 lbs.
Appearance: Light brown chitinous armor with iridescent wings and dark brown arms and legs

Power Level 8/165 PP

Abilities: STR 18/26 [+4/+8], DEX 10 [+0], CON 14 [+2], INT 14 [+2], WIS 14 [+2], CHA 14 [+2]

Saves: Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +5, Reflex +5, Will +7

Skills: Intimidate 8 (+10), Handle Animal 8 (+10), Knowledge (Entomology) 4 (+6), Notice 4 (+6), Profession (insect breeder) 4 (+6)

Feats Power Attack, Animal Empathy, Startle

Powers: Animal Control 8 (Power Feats: Communication Link, Progression 2; Extras: Area Burst; Flaws: Range 2, Limited - insects only), Enhanced Strength 8, Immunity 1 (poison), Insect Swarm 4 {Blast 4, Power Feats: Indirect; Extras: Alternate Save - Fortitude, Area - Shapeable; Drawbacks: Cannot penetrate Impervious Toughness -2 pp, No Knockback + Linked Obscure 4 (visual), Power Feats: Indirect; Area - Shapeable; Flaws: Partial Concealment only}

Devices: Chitin Armor 12 (hard to lose) [Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious), Flight 6 (Drawback: Foulable Wings -2 pp), Paralyze 8 (Extras: Autofire, Poison, Range; Alternate Save - Fortitude; Drawbacks: Cannot penetrate Impervious Toughness -2 pp) ]

Combat: Attack +8, Grapple +16, Damage +8 (unarmed), Defense +8, Knockback -7, Initiative +0

Drawbacks: Handle Animal and Animal Empathy only work on insects -1 pp

Costs: Abilities 24 + Skills 7 + Feats 3 + Powers 39 + Devices 48 + Combat 32 + Saves 13 + Drawbacks -1 = Total 165

Converter's Notes: Talk about a cop-out - the original writeup says "Nobody knows where [SWARMaster] comes from or how he got his powers!" Sigh.

A little overpowered on this one; the set of powers he has in the original writeup added a lot of extras that boost the cost. He's also got a little of everything - a rudimentary battlesuit, native superpowers, and minion summoning.

I found a couple of options for representing the insect swarm in the fora, and I decided to go with the attack power one. It's probably more accurate to go with the Minions with Insubstantial and Touch range attacks, but V&V doesn't actually have any rules for insect swarms, so I figured a low powered Blast plus partial Obscure would suffice, especially since SWARMaster already has two other attack options (hand-to-hand and his autofire stinger).

The Cannot Penetrate Impervious Toughness Drawback means that if the target has any Impervious Toughness at all, the attack won't cause a saving throw. Given how common Impervious Toughness seems to be in the standard templates, I've declared this a Common Drawback. YMMV.

~~

This is it for the Opponents Unlimited villains. Next, I'll be moving on to Most Wanted Vol. I. The characters in MWI are a lot more down-to-earth - no Hostess Fruit Pie villains here! On the other hand, they're also much simpler in concept; most of them can be built straight up as one of the stock templates.

The conversions I've done for Opponents Unlimited were as close to the original mechanics as I could get. There wasn't enough information given on the characters to add my own interpretations, so I hewed pretty closely to the original concept.

According to Jeff Dee, all the characters in all the villain books were generated using the standard character creation rules - which means randomly generated powers and stats. This can lead to some unique characters, but just as often it can create sets of powers that don't really make any sense given the character concept. So from here on in, the conversions will be Daniel Ream's Artistic Re-Interpretation of the Original Concept, wherein I shall Thumb my Nose at Convention and Pay Little Heed to my Artistic Forebears, and pretty much rewrite the characters however I want.

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Our first Most Wanted, Vol I villain - the blazing, breakneck

Bandit

“Black-flagged on the last lap! Better pull in for a pit stop, hero.”

Group Affiliation: None
Base of Operations: Nurburg, Germany
First Appearance: Most Wanted 1
Personal Stats: Male, 28, brown hair, brown eyes, 5'10”, 160 lbs
Appearance: Metallic linear frame over yellow racing suit and helmet, dark blue racing goggles, bright red scarf, wrist-mounted lasers

Power Level 11/165 PP

Abilities: STR 12/22 [+1/+6], DEX 20 [+5], CON 10 [+0], INT 12 [+1], WIS 12 [+1], CHA 16 [+3]

Saves: Toughness +0/+8 (Linear Frame), Fortitude +4, Reflex +10, Will +10

Skills: Bluff 8 (+11), Concentration 4 (+5), Craft (Mechanical) 8 (+9), Craft (Electronic) 8 (+9), Diplomacy 4 (+7), Drive 12 (+17), Knowledge (Auto Racing) 12 (+13), Notice 4 (+5), Profession (Race Car Driver) 12 (+13)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Attack Specialization 2 (Cutting Lasers), Benefit 2 (Wealth), Defensive Attack, Driving Bluff[1], Equipment 5 (high-end sports cars, Autodrome), Fast Overrun, Improved Overrun, Move-By Action, Second Chance (Drive), Skill Mastery (Drive), Sneak Attack, Taunt

Devices: Linear Frame 8 (hard to lose) [ Enhanced Dodge Focus 6, Enhanced Strength 10, Protection 8, Super-Speed 3 (Alternate Powers: Strike 3, Power Feats: Mighty) ], Cutting Lasers 9 (hard to lose) [ Blast 11, Extras: Autofire, Penetrating ]

Equipment: Sports Cars (array) (Strength: 25, Speed: 5, Defense: 9, Toughness: 8, Size: Large) Alternate Powers: Ten more cars (18 EP), Autodrome (Headquarters, Size: Medium, Toughness: 10, Features: Concealed, Garage, Gym, Security System, Workshop) (7 EP)

Combat: Attack +7 (unarmed), +11 (cutting lasers), Grapple +6, +11 (linear frame), Damage +1 (unarmed), +9 (unarmed linear frame), +11 (cutting lasers), Defense +5, +11 (linear frame) (+3 flat-footed), Knockback -4, Initiative +5, +17 (linear frame)

Drawbacks: Normal Identity (full-round action)

Complications: Fame (European racing circuit), Obsession (Getting his edge back)

Costs: Abilities 22 + Skills 18 + Feats 19 + Powers 68 + Combat 24 + Saves 18 + Drawbacks -4 = Total 165

[1] Driving Bluff allows you to use your Drive skill in place of Bluff to feint and trick in combat, but only when you are driving or controlling some kind of vehicle (Bandit's linear frame counts).

Converter's Notes: I've moved all the superpowers to his linear frame and replaced the Disintegration and Paralysis guns with a pair of cutting lasers (I envision that he ripped them out of the CADCAM system used to manufacture the frame). Given his background, I don't see why he'd have Enhanced Strength as a super-power. Willpower has been translated as high ranks of the Endurance Feat and a high Will save, which covers everything more elegantly than my previous attempts. The Invulnerability in the original writeup has been toned way down to make him more vulnerable; a speedster with 13 Impervious Protection would be just too much.

I've added an HQ (since he'll need somewhere to keep his cars), which I envision to be hidden on the grounds of the Nurburgring.

Bandit also has a lot of Feats that make him an excellent driver; if you intend to use him I strongly recommend inserting a chase scene where he hops into one of his souped-up race cars and leads the heroes on a merry race 'round the city. The Mastermind's Manual has a good set of chase rules for this.

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Dreaming Psion » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:16 pm

daniel_ream wrote:And now, returning from ATT's unfortunate hiatus, the Brotherhood of Amoral Dudes (B.A.D.)![1]

Introducing the ringleader, "Auntie" Phil Barton, and her good-for-nothing son, the DeathKite!

"Auntie" Phil Barton

"That's far enough, hero. Bet ya din't think this li'l old lady was gonna be a problem, did ya?"

Does this character intentionally bear a resemblance to Aunt May?
Check out the anime/manga 3e thread
My new Oddballs reborn thread

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:26 am

Dreaming Psion wrote:Does this character intentionally bear a resemblance to Aunt May?

Hey, somebody's reading the thread! Yay!

You'd have to ask Jeff Dee. These are scans from the books, not my artwork.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:17 am

Don't you think you should dial down Zoom's sword a little bit? I mean, a Rank 6 Mighty Strike, that's just a bit overkill when you consider an average sword is only Rank 3. Growth can certainly make wickedly strong character, but when his damage output is over the +20 modifier (listed as 'Cosmic' in the core book) that makes me a little wary of seeing him in action.

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Dreaming Psion » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:07 am

Wow, B.A.D is a fairly pathetic bunch of ragtag brawlers in a really awesome sort of way. Deathkite looks like an amalgam of Kite Man and the Vulture, both of loser stock enough all by themselves! :lol: I can see what you mean on how random rolling can end up giving you incomprehensible results.

On Captain Zoom (why does he have that name?! :lol:), note that non-permanent Shrinking and Growth do not alter his PL. Also, on his must make sacrifices power, Shrinking/Growth only counts as one power since they are alternate powers of each other.

I've never looked at Villains and Vigilantes before, so if I see a copy of one of these books at Half Price, I might pick up a copy. I look forward to seeing what you do with your GURPS supers builds, as there are some nifty characters there. Do you plan on doing any of them soon?
Check out the anime/manga 3e thread
My new Oddballs reborn thread

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Postby daniel_ream » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:29 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Don't you think you should dial down Zoom's sword a little bit? I mean, a Rank 6 Mighty Strike, that's just a bit overkill [...]

My God! Feedback!
:cries tears of joy:

Looking back at it, Cosmic Zoom should only have 10 ranks of Growth, not 12. Still, that doesn't deal with the basic problem, which is that in the original writeup, the sword does hefty damage even when he's normal sized (and +6 damage isn't that outre' at Size Medium; a chainsaw does that). Adding all the Growth pretty rapidly yoinks the total damage up somewhere crazy.

I don't know that the Ability scale is the right benchmark here, but since conventional weapons (Submarine-launched ballistic missile) in the M&M RAW max out at Blast 15, +22 for a 16-foot-long sword is still absolutely overkill.

It was late. And...and I was drunk. Yeah. That's my excuse.

If we lower the ranks of Growth to 10 and make the Sword Strike 6 and non-Mighty, then we get +6 damage when normal-sized and +14 when fully grown. That's certainly saner. It loses the high damage at normal size the original writeup had, but keeps the M&M writeup more reasonable. I'll amend the writeup appropriately.

I think this is just a bug in Growth, personally. Take a reasonably strong PL 10 hero (Strength 14, say) and limit him to +15 Damage. That gives you 13 ranks of Growth to play with - or a hero who's 40 feet tall. For some reason that seems short to me for a hero who can drop the equivalent of a conventional ballistic warhead every round. :-(

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Looking forward to seeing some more V&V builds; Keep up the good work. 8)

Return to “Roll Call”