Narsil 3e: John Stewart, Silver Age Barry Allen, '70s Batman

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Narsil 3e: John Stewart, Silver Age Barry Allen, '70s Batman

Post by Narsil » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:05 pm

Narsil's Library! (3e)
Most Recent Build: '70s Batman
Overall Number: 35

Okay then, welcome to what may ostensibly be my my 3rd edition thread. I will admit to several things outright; the first is that I don't like the costs of certain things in 3e (ergo; house-rules will be given, in fact at least one of the following posts will be a house rules post, though it'll be mostly blank, with my offering up the rules changes incrementally. The second is that I may well be making several unofficial rebuilds of the various characters which are presented in DC Adventures as I'm not entirely satisfied with what was done with them, but that may just be me.

Finally, very little has actually changed between this thread and the previous thread, except perhaps the fact that it's using 3e and that I'm not cleaving quite as closely to the rules as I did in the previous thread, but I was tempted to start off on massive house-rulings and personal customisation in 2e anyway. I am indeed accepting various requests for me to build characters, but the same proviso still applies; I need to know at least something about the character in question.

Comic Books

DC Comics - Earth-One
Batman, 1950s (Bruce Wayne, PL13)
Batman, 1960s (Bruce Wayne, PL15)
Batman, 1970s (Bruce Wayne, PL15)
Darkseid (Uxas, PL26)
The Flash (Barry Allen, PL14)
Green Lantern (John Stewart, PL19)
Mon-El (Lar Gand, PL20)
Superboy (Kal-El, PL19)
Supergirl (Kara Zor-El, PL20)
Superman, 1960s (Kal-El, PL23)
Superman, 1970s (Kal-El, PL22)
Zatanna Zatara (PL14)

DC Comics - Earth-Two (Golden Age)
The Bat-Man, 1930s (Bruce Wayne, PL9)
The Batman, 1940s (Bruce Wayne, PL10)
Power Girl (Kara Zor-L, PL16)
Superman, 1930s (Kal-L, PL12)
Superman, 1940s (Kal-L, PL14)
Superman, 1950s (Kal-L, PL17)

DC Comics - New Earth
Icon (Augustus Freeman, PL15)
M'Onel (Lar Gand, PL13)
Superman, 1980s (Kal-El, PL13)
Superman, 1990s (Kal-El, PL14)
Superman, 2000s (Kal-El, PL16)

DC Comics - New 52
Superman, 2010s (Kal-El, PL13)

DC Comics - Kingdom Come
Superman (Kal-El, PL17)

Fawcett Comics - Earth-S
Captain Marvel (Billy Batson, PL21)

Marvel Comics
Hulk, Savage (Bruce Banner, PL14)
Hyperion (Mark Milton, PL 11)
Iron Man (Tony Stark, PL13)
She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters, PL 12)
Silver Surfer (Norrin Radd, PL 15)
Spider-Man (Peter Parker, PL 11)
Thor (Donald Blake, PL 15)

Wildstorm
Apollo (PL13)

Miscellaneous
Marvelman (Micky Moran, PL12)
Last edited by Narsil on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:42 am, edited 42 times in total.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Contents, Part 2

Post by Narsil » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Placeholder
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

House Rules

Post by Narsil » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Okay, these are my house-rules for 3rd edition Mutants & Masterminds. This is not an entirely complete list, and it is expected to grow over time.

Powers, Extras, Flaws
  1. Absorption, Atomic Separation, Boost, and Probability Control
    • I'm actually thinking of trying to rebuild these powers in 3e. Admittedly, these will probably just wind up working identically to how they do in 2e, with a teensy bit of customisation. Absorption doesn't actually need to be an effect, mind, but a power made up of the protection/impervious and boost effects.
  2. Area Modifiers
    • Okay, the first thing is that I reduce the base area radius provided by the power by 1 distance rank. However, every rank in the base power which is a multiple of four (4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, etc.) increases that by 1 rank. A rank 20 burst power would affect an area 1,000 feet in radius (distance rank 5). On top of that, you can spend a point on a flat ranked modifier which increases the area by one distance rank in each instance. This saves on the ridiculous cost of increasing area, and eliminates the issue in which increasing area winds up costing the player a lot of points; this, on the other hand, saves a lot of points.
  3. Move Object
    • Is now sustained as a standard policy, as opposed to being concentration duration.
  4. Impervious and Penetrating
    • Refer to the 2e version of Impervious and Penetrating. There was no real reason to change this in the first place, and it did in fact annoy me that the various changes were made.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

#001: Marvelman/Miracleman

Post by Narsil » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Marvelman/Miracleman (Micky Moran)
PL 14

Abilities
Strength 18, Stamina 14, Agility 8, Dexterity 6, Fighting 8, Intellect 7, Awareness 4, Presence 4

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+10), Expertise: Journalism 5 (+12), Intimidate 12 (+16), Investigate 5 (+12), Perception 6 (+10), Persuade 6 (+11), Ranged Combat: Throwing 4 (+10)

Advantages
Attractive, Chokehold, Eidetic Memory, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 3, Interpose, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown, Well-Informed

Powers:
- Hypersonic: Array (30 points)
-- Base: Flight: Flight 14 (64,000 kph), Movement 1 (Space Travel 1), Dynamic • 31 points
-- DAE: Swiftness: Quickness 7, stacks with Super-Speed, Speed 14 (64,000 kph) • 2 points
- 'Kimota!' Burst Area Damage 5, with simultenous Burst Area Affliction 5 (Senses Impaired, Disabled), Two Degrees • 15 points
- Super-Speed: Improved Initiative 3, Quickness 7 • 10 points
- Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 4, Limited to Lifting (Lifting Str 22: 100 ktons) • 5 points
- Tinkerbell Effect: Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 12, Immunity 11 (Ageing, Life Support) • 27 points

Offence: Unarmed +10 (Close, Damage 14), Throw +10 (Ranged, Damage 14)

Defence:
Dodge 10, Parry 10
Toughness 18 (Impervious 12), Will 12, Fortitude 16

Power Points
Abilities 138 + Skills 20 + Advantages 10 + Powers 90 + Defences 12 + Total 270

Complications:
Enemy: Dr. Gargunza, Kid Marvelman
Power Loss: Micky Moran's transformation is triggered by speaking the word 'kimota'. Similarly, if he hears the word 'schadenfreude', he is transformed back into his ordinary self, his abilities being reduced by the amounts indicated in the enhanced abilities sections.
Temper: Marvelman is notorious for his destructive rages
Last edited by Narsil on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

vitruvian
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Build #001: Marvelman

Post by vitruvian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Narsil wrote: The only real house-rules here are that he's allowed to keep the invulnerability afforded to him by his impervious toughness, as explained in the above house rules. And also that I've reduced the overall areas by one distance rank apiece. I'm also, if you'll notice, also using metric measurements. Which actually make the characters faster; it's something like 1.6km to every mile, whereas this system treats it as 2km to every mile; Marvelman is capable of moving at almost 20,000 mph. It wouldn't take much boosting for him to reach escape velocity.
Actually, since he does go to the Moon in relatively short order (certainly not the hours it would take if he just barely reached escape velocity) he probably needs a bit of Space Movement in there as well.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Narsil 3e: Marvelman

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:13 pm

I've always liked this character, though readers from the US will most likely remember him being called MiracleMan here. Not even super-heroes can escape arcane legal wrangling. Nice build.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Narsil » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 am

I've edited in space travel, environmental adaptation and immunity to ageing. Mostly because my only real rule when building characters in the area of power point costs is that they do actually reach a multiple of 5. Blame OCD.

Thanks for the feedback, at any rate. :D
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

Gothenem
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gothenem » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:01 am

I almost wonder if I should put him under Marvel Comics seeing as they bought the rights to him.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Narsil » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:22 am

I don't personally count him as a Marvel character; Marvel may own the rights now, but he was published by L. Miller & Son, Ltd. and created by Mick Anglo, later revolutionised by Alan Moore.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

vitruvian
Henchman
Henchman

Post by vitruvian » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:22 am

Narsil wrote:I don't personally count him as a Marvel character; Marvel may own the rights now, but he was published by L. Miller & Son, Ltd. and created by Mick Anglo, later revolutionised by Alan Moore.
Well, a version of him did appear in a cameo where he was getting killed by the Fury as part of Captain UK's flashback to her origins, way back in Marvel UK's Captain Britain title. Written by Alan Moore, of course.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

#002: Silver Age Superman (1960s)

Post by Narsil » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:52 am

1960s Superman (Kal-El)
PL 23

Abilities
Strength 30, Stamina 25, Agility 4, Dexterity 5, Fighting 12, Intellect 10, Awareness 7, Presence 7

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+16), Expertise: Farming 2 (+12), Expertise: Krypton 10 (+20), Expertise: Journalism 10 (+20), Expertise: Science 6 (+16), Intimidate 10 (+17), Investigation 6 (+16), Perception 12 (+19), Persuasion 12 (+19), Technology 14 (+24)

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Connected, Equipment 6 (Fortress of Solitude), Eidetic Memory, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Initiative 12, Inspire 4, Inventor, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10, Seize Initiative, Ultimate Effort 2 (Strength, Toughness)

Powers
- Able to Leap Tall Buildings In A Single Bound: Array (60 points)
-- Base (Dynamic): Up, Up and Away!: Flight 30, Dynamic • 61 points
-- DAE: Space-Flight: Movement (Space Travel 3) • 2 points
-- DAE: Super-Speed: Quickness 10, Stacks with Faster Than A Speeding Bullet; Speed 24 (65,000,000 MPH) • 2 points
-- DAE: Super-Spinning: Burrowing 24, Penetrating 24 • 2 points
-- DAE: Time Travel: Movement (Temporal 3) • 2 points
- Faster Than A Speeding Bullet: Improved Initiative 12, Quickness 14 • 26 points
- Heat Vision: Ranged Damage 30, Penetrating 30, Precise, Subtle • 92 points
-- AE: Hypnotic Vision: Perception Affliction 20 (resisted by will, Dazed, Compelled, Controlled), Cumulative • 1 point
-- AE: Sweeping Heat Vision: Cone Area Damage 23, Selective • 1 point
- Invulnerability: Immunity 10 (life support), Impervious Toughness 30, Protection 5, Regeneration 10 (requires yellow sunlight) • 50 points
- More Powerful Than A Locomotive: Alternate Effects of Strength Damage (30 points)
-- AE: Arctic Breath: Cone Area Affliction 15 (Resisted by Fortitude; Hindered, Immobile, Paralysed) • 1 point
-- AE: Super-Breath: Cone Area Move Object 23, Close Range, Limited to Pushing and Pulling • 1 point
-- AE: Tremendous Breath: Ranged Lifting Strength 30 • 1 point
-- AE: Unlimited Strength: Enhanced Strength 30, Stacks with Super-Strength, Limited to Lifting (Lifting Str 110) • [/i]1 point
- Super-Intellect: Comprehend Languages 3 (Read, Speak and Understand), Features 1 (Eidetic Memory) • 7 points
- Super-Senses: Senses 32 (Accurate Hearing, Acute Hearing, Extended Hearing 7, Extended Vision 9, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4, Radio [Tracking], Ultra-Hearing, Vision Penetrates Concealment [Quirk: Except Lead]) • 32 points
- Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 50, Limited to Lifting (Lifting Str 80) • 50 points
- Super-Ventriloquism: Auditory Communication 3, Subtle • 13 points

Equipment (30 points)
- Headquarters: Fortress of Solitude30 points
-- Size: Huge; Toughness: 20; Features: Communications, Computer, Concealed 3 (+20 DC), Defence System, Effect (Dimensional Movement: Phantom Zone), Hanger, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Isolated, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System 4 (DC 40, requires Strength check to move key), Workshop

Offence
Initiative +50, Unarmed +20 [Close, Damage 50], Heat Vision [Perception, Penetrating Damage 30]

Defence
Dodge 16, Parry 16
Toughness 30 (Impervious 30), Fortitude 26, Will 20

Power Points
Abilities 200 + Powers 345 + Skills 43 + Advantages 32 + Defences 30 = Total 650

Complications:
Kryptonite: Superman's greatest weakness comes from the irradiated fragments of his home planet. Though the most common is green kryptonite, there are other variants of the substance which have caused him trouble over the years, such as red kryptonite which induces mutations.
Power Loss: He is effectively reduced to the capabilities of an ordinary human and loses his powers while exposed to the light of a red sun.
Relationships: Close friends and loved ones include Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, and his cousin Supergirl. He also maintains a frequent connection to the Legion of Super-Heroes.
Responsibility: Ever since he arrived on Earth, Superman has dedicated his life to protecting his adoptive home planet, which is what inspired him to take up the identity of Superman in the first place.
Secret Identity: Superman maintains a secret identity as mild mannered reporter Clark Kent.
Vulnerability: He is especially vulnerable to magic. When suffering magical attacks, he is treated as having Toughness 14 and Will 4, and has no impervious protection against such attacks.

Notes
Toned down significantly, and dropped around twelve power levels.
Last edited by Narsil on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Narsil 3e: I LIVE! (features a Pre-Crisis Superman build)

Post by Narsil » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:04 am

legend wrote:PL 35!
I was tempted to put 'PL Yes' but I felt it was best to be a little more accurate in numerical terms. :P
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Woodclaw » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 am

Nice to see you back Narsil... but seriously PL35!?
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Narsil » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:02 am

Woodclaw wrote:Nice to see you back Narsil... but seriously PL35!?
*shrug* It's mostly due to a direct conversion of the damage levels that were in the original stats of the DC Heroes version of the character. I didn't plan to put it at PL 35, that's just where it landed, more or less.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e