Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Paradigm Shift: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Paradigm Shift: OOC

Postby Bladewind » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:13 pm

The idea here is not all that original - it's been done as a game system, a TV series and even borrows heavily from a movie series. I hope that it generates some interest nonetheless and that a few people like the idea...

The game is, essentially, a war for reality. It borrows from Torg and ReBoot as primary sources of inspiration...

Game Concept

Set in a semi-modern era, other realities try to invade our own. The purpose and cause of these invasions are as yet unknown. The PCs begin as operatives within a protected Metropolis, assigned to defend against invading paradigms. (I am using the DCU city of Metropolis, but not necessarily the exact people and personalities...)

Starting with simple missions of preventing a paradigm invasion on a shielded city, the game will expand to taking the fight into the wilderness and eventually to find and fight back against the invaders.

Characters have superpowers even though this is not the norm for this world. They have been granted these powers by Lexcorps' bio-engineering division.

Setting

Tomorrow’s world today. Essentially, the modern world without many of the distractions/ issues that we face. Hunger and homelessness have been eradicated. The notion of the replicator has driven the need for scrounging for resources, hunger and many other ills to the brink of extinction.

That is, until other realities began invading. Many cities were able to fight off the original onslaught and some developed shielding capable of fending off many aggressive attacks automatically. The occasional paradigm assault still gets through, and people of the PCs calibre step in to do what the automated defenses could not.

Cities/ regions that have fallen to the paradigm assaults are often assimilated by the invader. Just as often they are barren wastelands as the invading paradigm’s nature is unable to maintain its hold and crumbles.

Occasionally, the areas become rifts leading back to the invading dimensions instead of an extension of that realm. In the case of this last, the surrounding area could be a devastated wasteland, a co-existing realm and other undiscovered combinations or scenarios. (Note that a large swath of the internet is gone because cities that housed various servers are destroyed or subsumed.)

The game starts within the protected streets of Metropolis. An energy shield is visible over the city, protecting all within from invading realities.

Character Concepts/ Creation

• Characters are to be existing DCU personalities. Marvel personalities are also permitted. Essentially, take the secret id of an established hero and use the character as a base for abilities and personality. This is to give a sense of continuity or immediate “belonging” for the character’s place in the game.
    • It is not required to have an identical powerset to your character’s model personality. Clark Kent, for instance, has access to a battlesuit and other technology that gives him superhuman abilities.
    • Use of an existing character name can also be to reflect their powers as a new personality. For instance, Robert Drake gets his name of Ice from his personality. The augmentation process actually turned him into a pyrokinetic. Alternatively, Erik Lensherr has a magnetic personality instead of magnetic powers...
    • Powers can be as limited or extensive as PL and PP limits permit (see Crunchy Bits for concept limitations).
    • Characters are heroes. Not villains. Not villains in disguise. Heroes.
    • Having said that, if you want to take the name, skillset or even powerset of an existing Marvel or DC villain and make them a hero, I am open to the idea.
    • I am looking for ideally 4-6 players. Ideally I’d like a scientist/ cleric type, a mage/ blaster type, a leader type and a scout type. The exact way that these niches are filled is up to the players and overlap is permissible.

Unavailable Personalities

These characters are claimed as NPCs by the GM. I've tried to keep the list as short as possible... If you choose a villain to tweak to goodness, be aware that I have claimed some as NPCs already and they may be unavailable. I am not listing those here yet.

• Colonel Clark Kent
    • Bruce Wayne: (He’s in Gotham)
    • Lana Lang:
    • Jose Delgado:
    • John Jones/ Martian Manhunter:
    • Reed Richards:

Power/ Character Origins

Agent: You are an agent of one of Earth`s military, paramilitary or secret societies. (Perhaps of the Science Police.) This does not preclude access to "superpowers" but requires some creative explanation for why you have powers, depending on the nature of the powers. Enhancement suits, battlesuits and the like ae appropriate. The world's primary paradigm, after all, is akin to our own.
    Augment: You volunteered to be augmented to fight the invasions and protect your home. The bio-organic enhancement process runs the gamut of powers but tends to produce X-Men or LSH style characters with a tight set of powers that fill an archetypal niche. That is not to say that spread out powers (akin to Supes and the like) are out the door.
    Paradigm Shifted: Your PC is not of this world. You might be directly from an invading paradigm, left behind when the incursion was repelled. You might also be a changed being altered during the course of the incursion. Either way, the reality you carry is not the one that most people are accustomed too. The shift can be subtle, concealable or outright evident (see the Paradigm Shifted Complication). At most, I’ll allow one PC to start as a Paradigm Shifted character. Paradigm Shifted characters begin play with the complication “Mistrusted.” (Think Teal’c from Stargate SG-1.)
    Mixed Bag: Combining the above is possible and permissible.
    Others: Other origins are possible, but should fall in the above options. Superhero mutants are paradigm shifted. The alien posing as a paradigm shifted character is for all intents and purposes a paradigm shifted character…

Crunchy Bits

• Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition
    • PL 10/ 150 (+GM bonuses) points
    • Range on any given power really shouldn’t be greater than a city. (Teleport beyond that range is mostly pointless in this setting at least at the beginning. Likewise, worldwide communication/ scrying is impossible.) Characters ignoring this and expecting HP when their powers do not work will be disappointed.
    • Likewise the range on equipment may be limited. Cellphone calls to Toronto, New York or any other city may work, but may not as well. This failure of technology is a part of the setting and to be developed IC.^
    • Quickness vs Invention, Ritual and the like - Quickness can be used for these effects.
    Dimensional Anchor All characters receive a pool of 5 power points above and beyond the standard allotment. These are to be assigned to PCs in various Paradigm Incursions. The GM determines what these points grant, and players can make suggestions based on the environment. Players may allot more points to this pool at a cost of 6 points per 5 power points. (Variable Power: Limited to Invading Paradigms, Assigned by GM)
    Dimensional Anchor Part 2 All Characters received the Advantage Quick Change 2, limited to within a paradigm shift. This enables characters to blend into the world that invades and coupled with the Paradigm Incursion points from above, gives them some advantage/ benefit in whatever reality they find themselves in.

Combat Posting

1) Post an action for your character whenever you are online and haven`t already acted that round.
2) I will resolve posts that are posted via the initiative order (including villains).
3) You have until your initiative comes up (or I resolve the action) to change your action (in the original post or a new one. Indicate OOC if you do the former)
4) A summary post at the end of each round will be posted.

New/ Modified Advantages

Favoured Paradigm: This advantage is available to characters at the normal cost, and functions exactly like the advantage Favoured Environment. Favoured Paradigms include High Fantasy, Mecha, Manga, Sci-Fi. Characters must further define favoured paradigms to specific genres. Every character gets one free Favoured Paradigm
    Benefit – Status (Science Police) - ranked: You are a ranking officer in the Science Police. This benefit grants security clearance and other base advantages associated with being in the military at rank one, contacts (the “connected” benefit and may have other benefits if taken at higher rank.)

Complications

Mistrusted: You are not of this reality and it shows. Your appearance generates mistrust on first contact with most beings, and can go so far as to cause outright hostility towards you. Your character may have been from this world and changed in an incursion, or left behind when an incursion was repelled.
    Paradigm Shift: It happens, even though the player respected the guidelines for character creation, devices or equipment don`t work due to the nature of an invading paradigm. This could also apply to the personal reality that a Paradigm Shifted character "carries" with them... (All players receive this complication.)

Locations of Note

Metropolis: PCs home town. Shielded but occasional incursions.

Baxter Building: Home of Challengers of the Fantastic who strive to protect their home city and fight back on a global level.
    Daily Planet: Source of news for the city – electronic media and social hub.
    Science Police:
    SCU 1 – Colonel Clark Kent, Lt Jose Delgado
    SCU 2 – Colonel Lana Lang,
    Lost Angels: Tribute to the ReBoot TV series, a destroyed twin city to Metropolis. The ruins exist within the shielded area of the city.
    Lexcorps Towers: Centerpoint of the city, home to Lex Luthor and HQ of the Science Police

Posting Conventions

I don't plant to reinvent the wheel here. Please use a color for speech, italics for thoughts, put your character name, HP, and current condition at the top of your post... the usual.

As for die rolls, please use [http=http://invisiblecastle.com/]Invisible Castle[/url]. Note, I do not plan to check die rolls on a regular basis. I am of the firm opinion that cheating only cheats the cheater. However if you notice flagrant cheating and it diminishes your enjoyment, please let me know and I will address it.

I plan to post with the group rate. However, I want to move things along whenever possible at least every 48-72 hours possibly faster in combat. I've seen games implode because players seemed to want split second response that only a tabletop game gives...
Last edited by Bladewind on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:37 am, edited 19 times in total.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Paradigm Shift: Recruitment

Postby Bladewind » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Other Pertinent Information/ Details

I want to out this out there, and although its spoiler alert, I think it's necessary in order to truly gauge player interest and to be fair to said players. Some of the invading paradigms will be straight out of Torg in terms of feel if not name. It is also possible to find ourselves facing mecha, xenomporphs, vampires... One thing I will try to avoid as much as possible is simple mirror universes. If these types of settings don't appeal to you, there are two solutions: PM me for ideas (AFTER recruitment closes :) ) of alternate realities. The other solution is to, well, withdraw interest.

I only say that to be fair and because I don't want people to say "hey, I thought we'd be fighting feudal warlords and Egyptian gods."

It is also important to note that I do not plan to simply have a series of "incoming games" for characters to defend against. There may be one or two to set the scene, but there will also be a metaplot regarding the invasions that can be explored...

As for events to fill in the background a little, the city lost touch with most other cities (at least the general public did) about 5 months ago. Yes, this is bumped further down from an earlier post. Thing is, three months, The Shield failed over New Angels and a huge incursion descended.

It was horrible - two realities descended at once. Humanoid robots and fantastic demons vied for control. Col Kent lead directly from the battlefield, his League ready to do everything necessary. Enter Rogers and Victor - their unit did the impossible and managed to shatter the devices being used to hold open the portals to the two worlds and the attack ended... but at huge cost. New Angels was forever renamed as Lost Angels. What's worse, the few remaining survivors in the wreckage are virtual zombies. Everyone that could have been saved has been... Captain Rogers and Lt Victor Stone survived and now bolster the Science Police with their augmentations.

Retcons

It seems to have been unclear and submissions are moving along nicely anyway, so when in Rome... the original idea was to use a personality and name kind of like the Tangent series from DC back in the day. As I failed to communicate that clearly, I am retconning to indicate that it is totally permissible to use a name and powerset. It is also permissible to use just a name and move in a completely different direction. Using the name and personality was my way of bringing some background to the game.

GM Freebies

All characters receive a pool of 5 power points above and beyond the standard allotment. These are to be assigned to PCs in various Paradigm Incursions. The GM determines what these points grant, and players can make suggestions based on the environment. Players may allot more points to this pool at a cost of 6 points per 5 power points. (Variable Power: Limited to Invading Paradigms, Assigned by GM)

All Characters receive the Advantage Quick Change 2, limited to within a paradigm shift. This enables characters to blend into the world that invades and coupled with the Paradigm Incursion points from above, gives them some advantage/ benefit in whatever reality they find themselves in.

Player Character (Favoured Paradigm

(Roll Call Thread.)

Adventure Dan Spidey. (Early 2000s Urban)

Lord Fell Amazon (Greek Mythology)

Walking Dad Cyborg (Space Hulk?)

Zen_Gypsy Captain Rogers (Core Earth)
Note - the background posted in this charater's bio represents precisely the feel I am going for with this game.

Characters that went AWOL

NineofSpades Karen Starr (Cyberpunk)

Voidrazor Rebus

Metool2 Ambush Beetle (Post-apocalyptic)

Other Submissions and Interest

Aerlwyn Sue torm/ Mouse

KevinMacTaggert Mister Terrific No character posted yet

Mark Reuter Barry Allen - Flash. No character posted yet

Shadow13 Wolverine

Timothy Iron Fist

Vequenor Madrox

Links to in-thread info

Since this post would get waaaaay too long, I will link some of the relevant posts in the thread directly here.

Active Agencies
Last edited by Bladewind on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Paradigm Shift: Interest Check

Postby Shadowbourne » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Interested...quite interested
Shadowbourne
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Aerlwyn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Does sound interesting, dont know alot about DC comic book characters but willing to see how it goes.
Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Nineofspades » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm interested, if a tad confused. I'm not sure I really get what your going for with this one. Put me down as interested, pending further explanation.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Bladewind » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Nineofspades wrote:I'm interested, if a tad confused. I'm not sure I really get what your going for with this one. Put me down as interested, pending further explanation.

I realize that I am presuming something. Have you ever seen Reboot?

The idea I am using from there is that a city is invaded by an outside source. They have to adapt to a paradigm (in the case of Reboot, a "Game") and defeat the user or the city becomes damaged. Too much damage and the realm is lost...

You live in Metropolis in the Near Now. If not for the Shield Grid, the city would likely be the staging grounds for a massive war for reality. Indeed, much of the world is in such a state. The reasons and cause of this invasion are unknown. Defense has been the only concern.

As for the rest of the world, most of Metropolis has no idea. There is very little communication, and when there is it's hard to know if its real or not...

Thankfully, Metropolis is relatively secure, the Science Police ready to stand and defend. They mobilize at every shield breach. Shield breaches can best be described as "incoming games." I plan to evolve beyond just defending against games/ incursions though, depending of course on how the PCs want to go.

For character concepts the idea is that I am using existing personalities - Marvel or DC - to create new characters and a new setting. We all know how we expect Superman to behave... Colonel Kent is likely to behave just like Superman. But his powers derive from a battlesuit. The occasional inversion might happen in that someone you expect to be a hero or villain will be their polar opposite.

Here's a sample team of Science Police officers to show what I am looking for, these personalities are not reserved. Most of these don't have powers. Note, being a member of the SP is also not required.

SPU 7 - Science Police Unit 7
Scott Summers - the red sunglass wearing leader of the team.
Jean Grey - the psychic on the team, she got her powers from Luthor's Augmentation Process
Robert Drake "Ice" - cool as they come, a crack driver, Robert Drake is the team's wheelman. As it turns out, he's also a pyrokinetic...
Hank McCoy - The Beast - Hank was a scientist in the SP until a reality incursion transformed him into a beast-like creature
Warren Worthington - Warren is the face of the team, Summers may lead, but Worthington does the talking. If he doesn't know about it, it hasn't happened.

Does that help?
Last edited by Bladewind on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Nineofspades » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Ok, that makes more sense. Do characters have to have the same powers, but from different sources? I ask because all the exampes you gave still have the same general powers as their canon counterparts, just with new origins.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Bladewind » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Nineofspades wrote: Do characters have to have the same powers, but from different sources? .

Not at all. The Summers I was envisioning had no powers.

The only thing I "want" to use for certain is personalities.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Nineofspades » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Alright. I'm interested. Think I'd like to do an alternate version of Power girl. Or perhaps catwoman. One or the other.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Adventure Dan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm interested. I'd love to play as Peter Parker (complete with spider powers), but I'll see if I think of anything else.
Adventure Dan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Sounds intriguing ... I actually enjoyed Torg back in the day. Would be curious to see where you go with this.

If I were to throw out a concept now, it would probably be for Steve Rogers, a Science Cop left behind during a paradigm shift, and came back through the shields a week / month later peak human condition. No shield, well not until we hit a high fantasy paradigm!

Just a thought. I'll be watching this thread.
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Bladewind » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Hm... With two additional nods if interest, so far the character pitches include (but no one has "Called" a character yet):

Peter Parker...
Steve Rogers... Zen_Gypsy
Karen Starr... NineofSpades
Sue Storm - Aerlwyn

Aerlwyn - you don't have to use a DCU personality. Marvel is fine too.

Note for Paradigm Shifted characters... I said I would only take one, and I stand to that. However, subtly changed Shifted are another matter. Rogers could get away with not taking up the slot of the Paradigm Shifted whereas my example of Hank McCoy could not.

I also tweaked the use of a character name a little. It came across when I added Ice to my little example squad. This has been added to the OP, but for simplicity, I'll also put it here: Use of an existing character can also be to reflect their powers as a new personality. For instance, Robert Drake gets his name of Ice from his personality. The augmentation process actually turned him into a pyrokinetic. Alternatively, Erik Lensherr has a magnetic personality instead of magnetic powers...
Last edited by Bladewind on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Nineofspades » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Alright, Think I've settled on PG, from the Pre-New 52 era, where her alias was that of Karen Starr, head of Starrware Industries.

Playing up on that, she's going to be more of a sciencey character and buissiness woman, though I'm not sure what I want to do for powers as of yet.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Aerlwyn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Maybe something like Invisble woman with a science/computer base to it, less powers and more science.
Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Excellent game concept - I was considering a version of Mister Terrific as a former druglord turned " ghetto protector " as the Invasion crashed against poorer local communities often neglected by other heroes - High Genius and a small army of thugs that follow his direction if it benefits them - " Master T " has clashed with other more heroic heroes, but now sides with them against this crisis ...
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Next

Return to M&M Game Room