Atlas of Earth Prime

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Atlas of Earth Prime

Post by Foreshadow » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Thought I'd start a thread so people can post any wish list items for this project. As far as who asked for this Jon that would be me, Foreshadow who asked for a World of Freedom, but others have too
Now, in our fourth year, we're pulling inspiration from the Atomic Think Tank once again! Last year someone (I wish I knew who) mentioned they wanted a "World of Freedom" book that fleshed out the rest of the world Freedom City and Emerald City are located in. It turns out we loved that idea and that the world has an actual name: Earth-Prime!

So, I'm very happy to announce The Atlas of Earth-Prime! It's a 20-part, twice-monthly series of PDFs that covers every corner of Earth-Prime. Each PDF will be in the eight- to ten-page range and will introduce you to new characters, places, organization, businesses, and groups. Most importantly, the idea behind the series is to give you information to inspire stories and adventures that criss-cross the globe and take your heroes places you may not have considered in the past.
All I can say is Yeah!!! and I love the title too: Earth-Prime. In fact, since you guys named it that, you can expand this into another pdf series about places other than Earth-Prime sort of like a 52 universes approach...that is another thread. Thank you for making the Earth-Prime series, I know it will be great. Kudos on the Gadgets series, Powers series and Threat Reports.

Since comics were primarily North American-centric originally, I'd say a good way to do this is from the perspective of US based heroes (those based in Emerald or Freedom City) traveling to another place, and possibly for some international event, possibly a disaster. Say an Earthquake in Iran occurs and real people need saving, who knows who might show up, People's Champion of Russia or China? some Iranian hero. That way the Earthquake could have very comic-book villain origins, and real-life politics can take a back seat to straight up dealing with nefarious organizations, supers from other lands, and generally keeping it all 4-color in feel.

Or, like when Batman goes overseas and an organization like Shadow might need detailing in their Far East operations, or that secret valley in Africa where the evil-bad 'misunderstood' Queen lives. Perhaps the heroes are summoned or meet up with White Lion.

Short-to-medium adventure hooks can be added to one of the pages, little seed ideas.

Perhaps even some of the seeds in Lockdown can be tied into one or two of these pdf's, since that was part of the world of freedom too, correct? or at least it could be

Sounds like the right approach about writing on the rest of the world inviting/finding authors from non-America to do the writing chores. Surprise us with a blending of villains, heroes, organizations, and 'secret/mystical' places unique to the world of freedom. I love the idea of a more embedded approach to doing over-seas supers.

betterwatchit
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Atlas of Earth Prime

Post by betterwatchit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Just saw the new Round Table, and I have to admit that I like what I see for the U.S. Atlas...

Lockdown being confirmed as World of Freedom canon, Embouchere could be an interesting place to encounter the Loa (Keep in mind that there's no actual record of the argument between Siren and Baron Samedi being settled...) and Midvale looks like somewhere you'd run a Smallville-style campaign. And I like the real-world cities getting the World of Freedom treatment as well.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:49 pm

I got as far as
•Occult America: Two flavors of "occult mystery" settings, the Southern Gothic of Embouchere, Louisiana, with a simmering gumbo of bayous, Voodoo, criminal syndicates, and mysterious cults, and the Colonial Shadows of Mystery, New Hampshire, situated in the shadow of Mystery Mountain and its tall tales and legendary creatures, both good for use with the Supernatural Handbook.
before I found myself screaming at the screen: NO MORE OCCULT MAGIC!

There is just something about people trying to push "occult" magic & the urban fantasy genre into superhero comics that rubs me the wrong way. Same thing as when you tried to force parts of the post modern deconstructionist "paragons" setting into the core M&M universe under 2E.

I'm really hoping that Atlas of Earth-Prime is better than this round table made it sound. I really want it to be a guide to a living superhero world, in which other countries have there own superhero paradigms, paradigms we will explore.... Where as this sounds more like we are saying "no superheroes for you, you get some other genre of fiction instead, since we are keeping the superheroes for America only"

Because this:
•Hard Justice: For two places where justice is far less black-and-white, we revisit Buckner Ridge, the home of the private super-prison Lockdown (and the secrets it contains) and Ferroburg, Pennsylvania, a rusting steel-town beset by crime and urban decay, but protected by a new breed of vigilante willing to do what it takes to save the city, whatever the cost. Great for Iron Age style games of low-powered heroes in the style of a superhero TV series.
sounds promising, while this:
•Hidden Heartland: Midvale, Kansas, is much like any middle-American farming community, faced with the shift from family farms to "big agribusiness," but there's also the nearby Crater Mound and Serpent's Run. What secrets do those ancient earthworks conceal and how much super-powered weirdness lies just beneath the surface of an otherwise "normal" town?
sounds like you are making a low quality Smallville rip off.
•Strange & Familiar: Short write-ups of real-world cities like Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C., and a look at their super-defenders, including Gatekeeper (a new Master Mage?) and the new Raven.
A new Raven you say.

We will have to see how it turns out. No pre-judgement.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Post by Foreshadow » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:51 am

If we're going to have the new Raven, and especially since for DCA we didn't get a new guide to Batman style sourcebook with all things Bat equipment.

I'd like to see the Rookery (the penthouse), her 'raven talons' which I assume look like a cross between batarangs and robin's throwing talons (or more like Robin's I suppose), and she needs a vehicle.

In the game I made her a vehicle which was both a sea, air, and land vehicle with VOTL capability and like an ATV or some sort. Basically it was a car that could fly like the fantisticar and could go fully submersible, and I gave it things like Impervious 8 as I figure it had armor but had a bit of sacrifice on the armor department. In other words, instead of a whole set of vehicles like Batman, I just gave her a single multi-purpose vehicle. I think I originally called it the Nevermore as a nickname, you know the poem about the Raven, but I could it would need a different name perhaps other than Ravenmobile. Like say the TALON but like the real life 'iron man' suit the military is making who call their TALOS and it is an acronym for Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit, the TALON could be something similar for its multi-function vehicle for Raven; plus its cool for her to have her TALON vehicle which is 'like' Batman, but something all her own.

It would be great to see something like this treatment officially. Plus Daedalus I added robot Minions as I figure he created all manner of things, like security bots and others mixing a bit of Henry Pym, Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark (and Mr. Iron's too) into the mix. Plus I gave him the Minions advantage in 2e since I figure that would be a great add on.

P.S. my Captain Thunder actually has the Thunderpunch extra for his Electrical Control. I kinda figured it was a signature move (punch plus thundering dazzle). I expanded his extras a bit like that.

In 3e since DCA stretched the scale up to 20 much more, and since we have powerlifting can Captain Thunder please have a write up with at least a 16 Strength, and some ranks in powerlifting. He seems like it would fit just fine.

I did like the write ups I saw in Emerald City Knights for the Freedom League but I know they're going to have new updates for the rest by next year when the FC3e book finally comes out so that is my little add on plug.

I am just making suggestions like the car for Raven and I do understand if Steve or Jon decide otherwise, but I did find them useful in my games and yes I know I was making Raven more blatantly like Batman so I get if they don't want to go more in that direction, but it can't hurt to ask since we know the Freedom City 3e book will eventually be out.

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Stigger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:30 am

Sounds very promising to me. Though I for one was happy to see the occult stuff mentioned, I've always had this thing for magic, being a huge Kent Nelson fan, so I have no problem with a little something for everyone approach. :D

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:35 am

I do hope there's one of those fictional countries where its run by a supervillain
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Kreuzritter wrote:I do hope there's one of those fictional countries where its run by a supervillain
Oh I've got one of those.... Every classic super hero universe requires one of those. Originally I wanted to do an Asian island nation built on crime & corruption, ala Madipoor (which itself is based on Hong Kong). However in the end I had to go with the classic Doctor Doom ruling a small European nation, in my case a autocratic Russian nation called Zor (based on a real location).

I built mine as a return to the good old fashion Tsarist Autocracy of pre-1920 Russia. The noble families who lived in that Area when it became a part of the USSR survived, but lived in seclusion, until one of the last remaining scions went off to study in America, returning home to his native Zor, with his genius intellect & desire to rule.

In his ancestral home, he levied his education into a real power set, by activating his own inactive meta-gene (since meta-genes had only recently been discovered as the source of many super powers) & he built himself a suit of powered armour that tapped into this new power supply, becoming The Crimson Emperor (he looked a lot like the Pakolistan version of General Zod, with the Red Armour).

In 1992 he took control of Zor in a bloodless coup (the people having become disillusioned by the union), by citing Article 72 of the USSR constitution & seceded from the USSR: An yes Article 72 was actually a thing (I love putting in real world history into my game, it makes the world feel more alive).

Since then, he revitalised the economy, reinstated the noble families system (including empowering them with powers by activating there meta-gene), created the Crimson Guard (a small robot army), the Crimson Knights (a royal police force of people in Rocket Red style power suits) & was beloved of his people, even though he was technically an Autocratic Dictator... an then he died in his bed from a heart attack (caused by the strain of his meta-gene), to be replaced by his daughter as the Scarlet Emperor.

Technically both of them are Super-Villains, but they are Super Villains in the same fashion Doctor Doom is, in that he's understandable & also possess the right to rule under the laws of the land. An both are fun to play, since they both speak in the third person, though it is an affectation that both father & daughter put on, for the benefit of the populace.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Post by SeeleyOne » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Personally, I like a hidden undercurrent of the supernatural/occult in the world. I also like the Paragons setting, with a twist of Wild Cards. My own vision of the world is more a mix of Paragons, Wild Cards, and the Supernatural Handbook. Add to that some space aliens and the denizens of the Imagerium.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Post by SeeleyOne » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:09 pm

Kreuzritter wrote:I do hope there's one of those fictional countries where its run by a supervillain
Maybe it can be the infamous nation of Caucasia.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Post by King Snarf » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:54 pm

As long as we get a Team Canada installment written by Chris McGlothlin, I'm on board.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Bwgustaf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:47 pm

11 pages, is that even a setting? Please tell me this USA book is meant as a tie-in for the main settings (a.k.a freedom & emerald city), and that we are going to get more then this for the other countries. On a more positive note, raven's new back-story is awesome 8).

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Post by JonL » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:06 pm

King Snarf wrote:As long as we get a Team Canada installment written by Chris McGlothlin, I'm on board.
The Canadian entry is written by Scott Bennie -- an actual Canadian!
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Post by JonL » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Bwgustaf wrote:11 pages, is that even a setting? Please tell me this USA book is meant as a tie-in for the main settings (a.k.a freedom & emerald city), and that we are going to get more then this for the other countries. On a more positive note, raven's new back-story is awesome 8).
Yes, the Atlas is a series of about 20 entries, each covering a different part of the world. Some of the upcoming entries are Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, and South America, then we head over to Europe Africa, Asia, and more.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Bwgustaf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:43 pm

JonL wrote:
Bwgustaf wrote:11 pages, is that even a setting? Please tell me this USA book is meant as a tie-in for the main settings (a.k.a freedom & emerald city), and that we are going to get more then this for the other countries. On a more positive note, raven's new back-story is awesome 8).
Yes, the Atlas is a series of about 20 entries, each covering a different part of the world. Some of the upcoming entries are Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, and South America, then we head over to Europe Africa, Asia, and more.
What i meant was that i felt the USA is purposefully lite, and i'm okay with that. I'm just hoping that the new entries have more "meat" to them. I mean that i don't want to see mexico as just crime, Mayincatec magic, more crime, and central america to cover everything else. I want to see some meat on the bones (so to speak). And the same for the rest for the world. Personal details are more important to me then just covering the bells and whistles of the region.
Last edited by Bwgustaf on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Bwgustaf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Bwgustaf wrote:
JonL wrote:
What i meant was that i felt the USA is purposefully lite, and i'm okay with that. I'm just hoping that the new entries have more "meat" to them. I mean that i don't want to see mexico as just crime, Mayincatec magic, more crime, and central america to cover everything else. I want to see some meat on the bones (so to speak). And the same for the rest for the world. Personal details are more important to me then just covering the bells and whistles of the region.
just to clarify this is not about page count. i know that the books are short, but i don't want those words to be wasted, as story ideas they shouldn't try to define an entire group of people in one paragraph, or even in one sentence. don't try to to recreate "panther-metal", because we already have that and the people are the whole reason this would get used in the first place.