Probably taboo....but is there a Marvel official publication

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
TrippperTheToad
Bystander
Bystander

Probably taboo....but is there a Marvel official publication

Post by TrippperTheToad » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:10 am

Just wondering if Green Ronin has put out anything for 3e with an official interpretation of the Marvel universe.
I have both DC Adventures Heroes and Villains volumes, great stuff, but half of us are DC and the other half are Marvel nuts, myself being the latter.
I'd love to see something in print with a long list of Marvel favorites if there is one that Ive missed somehow.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Probably taboo....but is there a Marvel official publica

Post by Mr Mole » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:55 am

Nothing official from GR, no... But you can find writeups of just about any Marvel character you can think of over at the Roll Call, written by a lot of the same people who did the official DC writeups.

That said, Steve Kenson used to have tons of his personal writeups and notes from the old Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game (SAGA) on the web. I'm not sure where you'd find the information online anymore (I showed rare foresight and saved it all on my computer), but it's relatively easy to see from that information where Steve ranked hundreds of Marvel characters against each other stat-wise.

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Stigger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:24 am

Not really taboo to ask, but without a license from Marvel, it's pretty much never gonna happen, as much as the fans might want to see it. Would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Post by JDRook » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 am

The closest thing I would rank as "official" would be legend's Every published Marvel Super Heroes RPG (FASERIP) character converted to 3E thread, with about 1000 MU builds. The other Roll Callers have great builds, and most are better optimized for use in the 3e system, but legend's is the most complete transliteration from an official Marvel RPG that I've seen.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Post by Foreshadow » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:11 pm

It would have been nice if Green Ronin could just make a Marvel Universe Adventures game, four books only, which uses 3e and is a separate game (so people only need to buy the four books if they want) and like heroclix you'd have two compatible games side by side. In fact, Green Ronin could also license and put out indy comics too, with hellboy, spawn.

It is possible, but both the will and the money need to be present. Perhaps a kickstarter for the marvel one could make it happen. I know one thing, there are a lot of marvel fans and a lot of MnM fans and if GR did a kickstarter 'if you build it they will come' could happen. Remember the anniversary rule book for MnM3e, that seemed to be a success. Just a thought......

I'm suggesting: core MUA book, two hereos and villains, and one marvel setting book, just like DCA and just like DCA, it is limited in scope and will feature the iconic versions of the characters, not something like we see in the character volumes for classic marvel rpg, nor like we see in MURPG or Marvel Heroic by MWP (and since that latest marvel rpg is dead) and since doing such a grandoise idea was probably a not-so-realistic idea in the first place, a four book deal seems doable, achievable, and much more realistic (and heck longer lasting since they are created and as long as 3e is round (at least 5 years) they'll last marvel until some newcomer to the rpg license seen wants to reinvent the wheel and do a new game.

I think marvel and DC heroclix was a great thing and having the same for rpg's is a great idea, and not something anyone has done so it could be a lasting legacy to produce that other 4 books and then call it done on marvel and DC (but good to have them published)

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Post by thaumonuclear » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:31 pm

Since Marvel pulled the license from the last publisher who made a Marvel game (between the time they released a pdf product and the hardcopy came out), I'd be hesitant to encourage GR to try to do anything official. Seems too dangerous an investment.

SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Post by SeeleyOne » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:52 pm

Has anyone done a Chanpions conversion? I tried to find it but "Champions" is not an easy search since the word is valid in many contexts. Some of the books that I have seen have some cool characters but the system is way too complicated (which is part of what makes M&M so cool, it pulls it off without so many fiddly nit-picky and irrelevant details).
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

TrippperTheToad
Bystander
Bystander

Post by TrippperTheToad » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:49 pm

Is Champions now the HERO system?

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:11 pm

SeeleyOne wrote:Has anyone done a Chanpions conversion? I tried to find it but "Champions" is not an easy search since the word is valid in many contexts. Some of the books that I have seen have some cool characters but the system is way too complicated (which is part of what makes M&M so cool, it pulls it off without so many fiddly nit-picky and irrelevant details).
I've done some Champions conversions in my Roll Call Thread, working my way through the various 6th and 5th edition books I have. It's by no means a complete resource, but it's getting there.

SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Post by SeeleyOne » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:24 pm

TrippperTheToad wrote:Is Champions now the HERO system?
Yes. And therefore not playable in my opinion. In the 90s I would have thought it was cool, but I don't care to play a game that is more work than fun.

Arthur Eld, thanks, I will look at your builds. Your builds thread is huge.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

Samson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Samson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:58 pm

I think when a Disney bough Marvel is when the last Marvel License was pulled from Margaret Weiss. I just assumed Disney was reevaluating stuff.
"This is me, yo, right here." - Wallace, The Wire: Episode 12

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Post by Foreshadow » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Actually no its not a risky investment since WMP had this crazy idea that they would put out a modifed version of their system. The fact they based their model around doing these crossover event books, and doing a premium and base printed book was too ambition. I could have told them that day 1, but people like me are ignored by industry so all I can be is a "I told you so" guy. In fact, if you do a search you probably will find my posting the day it was announced that it was a doom idea.

That is why the 4 book deal Green Ronin made was a good idea, and keep in mind marvel and DC are licensing companies above all else. Marvel is in the business of making money off spider-man and his fellow marvel characters through a steady stream of spider-man related stuff, movies, and other products. Same for DC who is in the batman, superman business.

A kickstarter for a 4 book MUA deal is not a bad idea, and ultimately boils down to would the Green Ronin team really want to deal with all that would be involved, as they lived through and worked on the DCA books. I get a sense perhaps not right now, but once they finish their Freedom City 3e book or whatever else they are going to make for 3e and their own GR owned setting (like the atlas) or that cosmic book, bus since no one has ever done a compatible rpg, and since we're talking a limited set of sourcebooks it is not something that needs to be long-term.

That might be the real problem, the idea that it needs to be long term, and since it looks like Marvel wants to be the publisher they go out and find some smaller company to do the work and then do the official game like the MURPG game. They had to find someone to actually do the rpg, and if you look at the result it was obviously geared toward making a non-gamers rpg.

MnM is a gamers game, a true supers-rpg, and it one key benefit is you can make your own character but like having an listing of 'official' characters to draw from. Perhaps Marvel doesn't like the idea of gamers playing in a world where they aren't play Spider-Man. Go look at the Marvel Online game, you have to play the iconic characters, whereas DC online you can't and are forced to make your own. Ofcourse there is a new Infinite Crisis type DC game where you play DC iconics and alternative versions of them.

In the end, if GR did a 4 book run it would not really impact some future small or large company doing a new marvel rpg which we all know is inevitable. It will 100 percent happen sooner or later. In fact the MWP game was a bit of a shock since I felt it seems a bit too soon after MURPG went under and MURPG wasn't a horrible game, it merely didn't sell well enough apparently.

But since a license for 4 books isn't based on how many you sell, why should any of that matter unless marvel won't make deals unless you sign up to sell a stream of products and base the success on how many you sell. If so that model is a flawed on for Marvel and make a note of these words Marvel your approach is doomed to failure and I told you so on 3/1/2014 and it will be true 20 years from now as its inherently a bad business model.

Plus Marvel doesn't print its books like that. It publishes a book with an intent to make so many and see how they do, if they do well they make more. Many of their print runs are limited, like TPB and other collected works.

I don't think Disney owning it really matters, as long as the license user is not harming the IP I don't think that matters. If it does please state why it matters.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Post by King Snarf » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 am

Samson wrote:I think when a Disney bough Marvel is when the last Marvel License was pulled from Margaret Weiss. I just assumed Disney was reevaluating stuff.
Disney licenses are notoriously expensive, and they keep raising them. SLG and BOOM! had to cancel their very popular Disney titles simply because they couldn't afford it. Which is a shame, because I'd give harvest some of my less important organs for a Gargoyles RPG.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:21 am

SeeleyOne wrote:
Yes. And therefore not playable in my opinion. In the 90s I would have thought it was cool, but I don't care to play a game that is more work than fun.
That would be Champions in a nutshell I'm afraid.... It doesn't so much emulate the superhero genre, so much as the super hero genre, by way of the mindscape of an accounting major.

It was only tolerable till something better came along. An then as soon as something better came along it was abandoned like rats on a sinking ship. It also doesn't help matters that the campaign setting has been butchered by multiple ownership issues. Technically there are now 5 versions of the Champion RPG universe.... Two different comic book versions (one of which is still in publication, but is so underage sex predator creepy as to be unreadable), then there is the original RPG version, the Fuzion RPG version, the MMO version & now the licensed version of the original version that is being licensed back to the original owners from cryptic, who own the rights courtesy of a deal made for the MMO.

An if you want to know what I mean by underage sex predator creepy, well here is the newest cover of Champions. Its SFW (barely), its just really REALLY creepy when you discover that the character is meant to be a young teen & I mean young like maybe 13.

http://www.heroicmultiverse.com/heroicp ... hp?ic=ch60

An to think we give mid 90's Image a hard time for making us all look like perverts.... An it actually gets worse if you read the content. *shudder*
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

TrippperTheToad
Bystander
Bystander

Post by TrippperTheToad » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:08 pm

SeeleyOne wrote:

Arthur Eld, thanks, I will look at your builds. Your builds thread is huge.
I know what you mean.
God....how many d6s in that attack? 30?!?
The memories :mrgreen:

I remember one session we played 36 seconds of game time.....took nearly 20 hours to get thru it.
A 20 hour session counting piles of sided dice.
I am SO for rolling 1d20 at my age :D