J-Mart 2.1: CLOSED FOR A NEW STORE :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Thorpacoverse: Red Hood, Catwoman, Batwoman, Catman

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:44 am

Yeah, that was a really entertaining ride Gail Simone took the fans on. All the characters were insane and evil, but they all had some weird kind of pathos to them, and always happened to find EVEN WORSE criminals to fight (sorta like how "The Sopranos" justified it's evil characters). Some of the darkest humor in comic book history, even IF Simone is possibly the single writer most-addicted to the concept of "having everyone talk about how bad-ass and awesome the characters are, in-story".

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:42 pm

That's okay, give me Gail Simone over Michael Bendis and late era Chris Claremont any day. Any writer who can imagine the Huntress provoking Lady Shiva to whip her bad enough that she can use her own blood as a blinding agent (here's blood in your eye) is okay with me.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:38 pm

No doubt. It was all I could do not to drop my knees and beg her to marry me at the convention I met her at. Thank goodness the finale of the Secret Six hadn't come out yet or I'd probably be looking at my first restraining order. :wink: :shock: :mrgreen:

I'm digging her run on Batgirl so far but not Firestorm so much, so at least she's human. But it's hard to do much with Firestorm as a solo character, really.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Yeah, to me Firestorm always seemed to be one of those characters that requires a real "cosmic, science-y" feel to his stories in order for them to work and "cosmic" and "science-y" aren't really descriptors that come to my mind when I think of Ms. Simone's work. Batgirl would seem to be right up her alley though.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Yeah, that was a really entertaining ride Gail Simone took the fans on. All the characters were insane and evil, but they all had some weird kind of pathos to them, and always happened to find EVEN WORSE criminals to fight (sorta like how "The Sopranos" justified it's evil characters). Some of the darkest humor in comic book history, even IF Simone is possibly the single writer most-addicted to the concept of "having everyone talk about how bad-ass and awesome the characters are, in-story".
I don't know, Loeb can give her a run for her money in that department IMHO. Especially in his Superman/Batman run.
Shop J-Mart!

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Super psyched to see you doing this thread again. Your interpretations match up well against each other and I always love the "in my setting."

I never really followed any DC series but my library has the Birds of Prey trade where Catman and Huntress hook up at fancy party and I found that I really liked and believed that relationship.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Dad thinks I'm too short. My Sensei thinks I'm too "girly". But just like the principles of Jujitsu--I use their expectations against them. That will be their weakness. Not mine. Let them all underestimate me. Let them think they have the upper hand on the little girl. Let them relax while teh adrenaline leaks out of their systems. Let them believe they're closing their grips on a shrinking violet. And when their guard is down and their pride is rising...let me kick their butts up around their ears.

BATGIRL (BARBARA GORDON)
PL: 9 (171 pts) - OPL: 8 ; DPL: 9

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 6, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Acrobatics 10 (+15), Athletics 7 (+9), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+14), Deception 4 (+7/+9) [Attractive], Expertise [Computers] 12 (+18) [Skill Mastery], Expertise [Criminology] 4 (+10), Expertise [Dance] 2 (+8), Insight 9 (+13), Intimidation (+3), Investigation 10 (+16) [Contacts, Well-Informed], Perception 9 (+13), Persuasion 4 (+7/+9) [Attractive, Connected], Ranged Combat [Throwing] 6 (+11), Stealth 8 (+13), Technology 6 (+12), Treatment 3 (+9), Vehicles 6 (+9)

ADVANTAGES: Attractive (1), Benefit (1) (Multiple Web IDs), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (10), Evasion (1), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Initiative (1), Leadership, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (2), Skill Mastery (Expertise [Computers]), Takedown (1), Teamwork, Well-Informed

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
(50ep)
Batgirl Costume: Protection 1, Features 2 (Converts ballistic/energy damage to non-lethal), Immunity 2 (Critical Hits, Flaw: Limited [Ballistics only]); 4ep
Cowl Lenses: Senses 2 (Low Light Vision, Infravision), Commlink (Senses 1 [Communication Link, Bat Family]); 3ep
Utility Belt: (31ep)
Flash Bang Grenade: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 5 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Visually and Auditory Impaired, 2nd: Visually and Auditory Disabled, 3rd: Visual and Auditory Unaware; resisted by Dodge], Extra: Ranged Area Burst [30 ft radius], Extra Condition), Range 25 ft; 20ep
Batarangs: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Ranged Damage 2; 50ft range, Medium; 1ep
Tear Gas Grenades: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 5 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed and Visually Impaired, 2nd: Stunned and Visually Disabled, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Area Burst [30 ft], Extra Condition), Range 20ft; 1ep
Grapple Gun: Move Object 2, AE: Movement 1 (Swinging); 1ep
Lockpick Kit: Feature 1, Tiny; 1ep
Mini-Tracer: Feature 1 (Tracking, 2 Mile range), Miniscule; 1ep
Rebreather: Immunity 2 (Flaw: Limited -20 Rounds of Oxygen), Tiny; 1ep
Handcuffs: Feature 1 (Toughness 9, DC20 Sleight of Hand/Technology), Tiny; 1ep
Flashlight: Feature 1 (Illumination), Tiny; 1ep
Binoculars: +5 Perception [Visual at Distance], Tiny [1ep])
First Aid Kit +2 Treatment [First Aid], Medium; 1ep
Cutting Torch: Damage 1, Linked to Weaken Toughness 1 (Flaw: Limited to objects); 1ep
Vehicle: (12ep)
Batcycle: Size - M, Strength - 1, Speed - 6, Def - 10, Tough - 8, Features 2 (Navigation System, Computer); 12ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Close Attack +10
Unarmed +14 [Unarmed +2]
Ranged Attack +5
Throwing +11
Special Attack [Flash Bang Grenade Affliction +5, Area Burst; Tear Gas Grenade Affliction +5, Area Burst;]]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 [DC23] Parry +11 [DC21]
Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: The Calculator, Spy Smasher, The Joker (for obvious reasons)
Flashbacks: The trauma of her near fatal shooting at the hands of The Joker sometimes manifests itself in flashbacks to that moment
Relationships: The Bat Family and Dick Grayson in particular, her father Jim Gordon, The Birds of Prey
Flashbacks: She guards her identity Barbara Gordon fiercely
Flashbacks: To the superhero community as an information resource

Abilities 70 + Skills 52 (104 ranks) + Advantages 31 + Powers 0 + Defenses 18 = 171 / 171

Comments: No one will believe me, but I was really thinking of bringing Babs back as Batgirl in the Thorpacoverse before the New 52 was announced. But alas and alack, they scooped me, so I have to continue to look like the hack that I am…
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Mon May 14, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Blitz
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Thorpacoverse: Batwoman, Catman, Batgirl

Post by Blitz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:04 am

Of course we believe you. Babs as Batgirl again is something we all consider when thinking about a personal version of continuity. I'm definitely for it. Good call.

How many of those Complications are supposed to be Flashbacks, anyway?

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by danelsan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:10 am

Blitz wrote:Of course we believe you. Babs as Batgirl again is something we all consider when thinking about a personal version of continuity. I'm definitely for it. Good call.
Hey, not everybody. I like her much more as Oracle! So Oracle she stays at my personal continuity :wink:
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Blitz
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Blitz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:59 pm

danelsan wrote:
Blitz wrote:Of course we believe you. Babs as Batgirl again is something we all consider when thinking about a personal version of continuity. I'm definitely for it. Good call.
Hey, not everybody. I like her much more as Oracle! So Oracle she stays at my personal continuity :wink:
Yeah, but you thought about it, even if you simply rejected it. New 52 wasn't doing anything people hadn't already thought of, whether they decided yea or nay.

So, I'm curious. Is Cassandra Cain present at all in the Thorpacoverse, or is the introduction of her character unnecessary, with Barbara Gordon retaining the role?

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Blitz wrote:
danelsan wrote:
Yeah, but you thought about it, even if you simply rejected it. New 52 wasn't doing anything people hadn't already thought of, whether they decided yea or nay.

So, I'm curious. Is Cassandra Cain present at all in the Thorpacoverse, or is the introduction of her character unnecessary, with Barbara Gordon retaining the role?
She and Steph are around, just haven't decided what to do with Steph yet. Can't decide whether she will be a Batgirl or go back to being Spoiler.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:44 am

Oh boy, the Shatner's really hit the fan now.

SPACE GHOST
PL: 12 (229 pts) - OPL: 12 ; DPL: 12

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 8, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Acrobatics 5 (+8), Athletics 2 (+10), Deception (+3), Expertise [Police] 6 (+8), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation (+3), Investigation 5 (+7), Perception 3 (+7), Persuasion 5 (+8) [Connected], Ranged Combat [Power Ring] 3 (+10), Stealth (+3), Technology 5 (+7), Vehicles 8 (+11)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Benefit (1) (Status – Eidolon Elite), Close Attack (4), Connected, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (18), Extraordinary Effort, Favored Environment (Space), Improved Aim, Improved Initiative (1), Leadership, Precise Attack (1) (Ranged, Concealment), Ranged Attack (4), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Space Ghost Suit: 42 pts traits; Removable (-8 pts); 34 pts
Space Adaption: Protection 2, Immunity 7 (Environmental Heat, Environmental Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Vacuum, Suffocation), Senses 4 (Normal Vision [Counters Concealment], Darkvision], Communication [Radio, Jan/Jayce/Blip]); 14 pts
Space Traveler: Flight 10 (2000 mph), Movement 2 (Space Travel 1, Environmental Adaptation [Zero-G]), Comprehend 2 (Speak, Understand All Languages); 28 pts[/i]
Inviso-Belt: 29 pts traits; Removable (-6 pts); 23 pts
Inviso-Powers: Concealment 4 (Visual Senses), Insubstantial 4; 28 pts
Force Field: Protection 4 (Flaw: Sustained), Impervious 5 (Flaw: Sustained); 1 pt

Power Bands: 33 pts traits; Removable (-7 pts); 26 pts
Power Blasts: Ranged Damage 14 (Extra: Variable Descriptor 3 [Um…lots…Heat, Cold, Electricity, you name it, he's got it programmed into those bands…); 31 pts
Hammering Beam: Ranged Damage 10 (Extra: Multiattack); 1 pt
Tractor Beam: Move Object 14 (Extra: Tether); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(90ep)
Vehicle: (69ep)
The Phantom Cruiser: Size - C, Strength - 15, Flight - 14, Def - 4, Tough - 15, Features (Blaster Cannons [Ranged Damage 12], Tractor Beam [Move Object 14], Movement 3 [Space Travel 3]); 69ep
Headquarters: (21ep)
Ghost Planet Base: Size - C, Toughness - 14, Features - Communications, Computer, Defense System, Gym, Hangar, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Isolation, Living Space, Power System, Security System

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +12 [Unarmed +8]
Ranged Attack +7
Power Bands +10 [Power Band Blasts +14; Hammering Blasts +9, Multiattack]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +8 (+12 with Force Field, +5 Impervious with Force Field), Fortitude +10, Will +10

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Zorak, Moltar, Brak, The Spider Queen, Locar and many others
Fame: One of the greatest heroes in the galaxy, EVERYONE knows of Space Ghost
Relationships: His mentees, Jan and Jayce and their space monkey, Blip
Responsibility: To protect the universe from evil
Rivalry: The Green Lantern Corps, Nova and Quasar

Abilities 60 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Advantages 38 + Powers 83 + Defenses 25 = 229 / 229

Comments: Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace Ghoooooooooooooooooost…

That’s right. The greatest superhero of all time is bringing it big time in the Thorpacoverse. He is a galactic protector along the lines of the GL Corps or Nova, and is well known throughout the galaxy as one of it's greatest heroes. His constant self promotion and TV shown seen on over 2000 galactic feeds doesn't hurt the rep, either.

I have more comments, but I am simply taking a break from taking down Christmas decorations and I was so excited about finally getting this build done, I had to post it as a belated b-day present to myself (it was the 30th, and I've been sick so it's taken me a while to get enough time/energy to get back to posting).

And if this isn't the greatest pic ever, it's damn close:

Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Thorpacoverse: Batwoman, Catman, Batgirl, Space Ghost

Post by JetstreamGW » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:33 am

Now I want to know if the only super hero with a lamer weakness than Martian Manhunter is in your universe...

Who do I refer to, you ask?

None other than...

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRDMA~~N

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Re: #81

Post by Sidious » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote: Image

Greatest pic ever!
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Thorpacoverse: Batwoman, Catman, Batgirl, Space Ghost

Post by danelsan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:48 pm

This seems like a wonderful opportunity to post some covers Alex Ross did for DC's Space Ghost mini-series (AKA Space Ghost, the Gritty Reboot)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Couldn't find all of them in really big sizes and without the cover lettering (and the last one might be stretched to become a wallpaper), but is is still quite impressive art. By the way, love to see him as a big gun in the Thorpacoverse's cosmic scene ^__^